Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The dealer franchise model means that quality of dealers is variable. You may have a good local Hyundai dealer, but the average Hyundai dealer is bad by dealer standards, and the worst 20% are like BHPH levels of poo poo. … all else equal their dealer network sucks so I’d think pretty carefully about whether your local dealer is any good.

I’d like to hear more about this impression. Feel free to DM if you don’t want to clutter the thread.

I manage 3 Hyundai dealer service departments, along with several other brands in our group. I can’t think of anything that sets the Hyundai dealer model apart.

Absolutely local operations are highly variable, and any one dealer can be awful, but you’re making a bit of a generalization based on the banner flown, not the individual dealer, so I’m curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
OP, you could get an EV too. If you’re not too averse to carrying a bit of the Musk taint, you can get a Model 3 LR either new or used and it would probably make you very happy.

Alternatively, there’s a growing market of other great EVs, from the Bolt/Bolt EUV (you can get these used in the low-20s before adding the $4000 used EV credit and getting it under $20k) to the Hyundai Ioniqs, and also Polestar (Volvo has some nice plug in hybrids, but the really desirable ones are pricey), Ford, etc

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

If you were getting a new car, what sort of “protections” would you get for it to keep it as free from damage and corrosion as you could, for a car being driven in the northeast?

Looking like I might be getting a premium GRCorolla for MSRP (first ever new car) and I’ve seen things like mud flaps, PPF, ceramic coating as things people are doing. Some of those can be a bit of money especially for a car that isn’t super fancy and not sure it’s worth it. I’ve never done any mods or extra coatings for my cars and just try to keep them washed during the winter and regular maintenance, so no experience there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

If you were getting a new car, what sort of “protections” would you get for it to keep it as free from damage and corrosion as you could, for a car being driven in the northeast?

Looking like I might be getting a premium GRCorolla for MSRP (first ever new car) and I’ve seen things like mud flaps, PPF, ceramic coating as things people are doing. Some of those can be a bit of money especially for a car that isn’t super fancy and not sure it’s worth it. I’ve never done any mods or extra coatings for my cars and just try to keep them washed during the winter and regular maintenance, so no experience there.

it’s not a fancy car but it is a very special car, and it should retain value as such if you take care of it

that’s not to say “don’t drive it” or “don’t drive it in the winter” or “don’t use it as a utilitarian hatchback”, but you probably shouldn’t let the car go to poo poo if you can take easy steps to keep it in good shape

that being said I’d probably keep it to underbody coating (the dealership probably can’t provide this) and maybe mud flaps. If you’re winter driving it it’s good to get in the habit of giving the undercarriage a rinse every 1-2 weeks or so to keep the salt off

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 22, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah there ain’t much you can do other than undercarriage coating. Just wash it regularly when it gets warm.

I’ll echo that it’s also a drivers car so if properly maintained and not rusted to poo poo it will be fine. If you can garage it that makes a huge difference.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What should I use to glue back on one of the connectors for the rear defroster? Not the grid lines, the power and/or ground on the edge of the windshield.

The rear defroster in my 06 Mustang GT doesn't work, at all. I've had them not work in section from accidentally breaking some of the little flat electric lines, but this one just doesn't turn on at all. I've watched this short Youtube video and I'm going to go buy a test light since they're only a few bucks at harbor freight, but I really think one major issue is that, at first inspection, one of the connectors for the defroster is just hanging off at the rear window. I don't know if it's the power in or the ground. I'll edit in a picture shortly.

Relatedly, how would I go about ensuring a complete connection into the dangling component once I've glued it? The video only covers breaks on the grid lines themselves, which is simple enough to repair. Would I use the same sort of kit to repair the connection into the electrical component?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 22, 2023

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Fluid Film or similar wool oil product every year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epkeq3VIFEE

Not that rubber permanent stuff

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ok Comboomer posted:

OP, you could get an EV too. If you’re not too averse to carrying a bit of the Musk taint, you can get a Model 3 LR either new or used and it would probably make you very happy.

Alternatively, there’s a growing market of other great EVs, from the Bolt/Bolt EUV (you can get these used in the low-20s before adding the $4000 used EV credit and getting it under $20k) to the Hyundai Ioniqs, and also Polestar (Volvo has some nice plug in hybrids, but the really desirable ones are pricey), Ford, etc

I'm looking at some EVs but we still need to fit three teenage boys in the back without being too tight for the few times we have multiple hour drives. The id4 seems to be enough space and probably the Mach e.

I'll see if the 3 has a decent space in the back but I thought it'd be snug.

E: just looked at appears I don't qualify on the ev credits so probably makes most of the new and used options less to not viable. Maybe pushes the MachE lease up as Ford keeps the credit and supposedly puts it into the depreciated value.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 22, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Find a place that applies this poo poo, get it done soon after getting the car and reapply as directed, which I think is once every year or 18 months or something.

https://corrosionfree.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIns_grKiKggMVkc_CBB3xWg9iEAAYASAAEgJnUPD_BwE

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah there ain’t much you can do other than undercarriage coating. Just wash it regularly when it gets warm.

I’ll echo that it’s also a drivers car so if properly maintained and not rusted to poo poo it will be fine. If you can garage it that makes a huge difference.

Garaging a car that's driven daily is generally considered here to be less good for the car than letting it stay outside but under a roof, as a garage melts snow and ice that accumulates on the car. Creating a moist environment that together with salt can result in a nasty combo for a car. Unless the garage is very well ventilated.

As for keeping a car against salt, yearly or bi-yearly corrosion treatment of the undercarriage and inside hollows. Since my cars are old and I do it myself I nowadays use raw linseed oil in the summer months, but a more modern car would use whatever the factory specifies or the warranty won't cover it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Following up on my own issue it looks like the connectors are called "tabs" and the repair kits contain not only the electrical conductive paint to repair the grid lines, but also electrically conductive adhesive to glue the tabs back on. So, I just need to go get one of those kits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Garaging a car that's driven daily is generally considered here to be less good for the car than letting it stay outside but under a roof, as a garage melts snow and ice that accumulates on the car. Creating a moist environment that together with salt can result in a nasty combo for a car. Unless the garage is very well ventilated.

As for keeping a car against salt, yearly or bi-yearly corrosion treatment of the undercarriage and inside hollows. Since my cars are old and I do it myself I nowadays use raw linseed oil in the summer months, but a more modern car would use whatever the factory specifies or the warranty won't cover it.

I grew up with an unheated garage but if you have a heated garage it should be well ventilated.

You can do a carport or whatever but I don’t really trust them to not blow away or get otherwise hosed up on to your car.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Greetings goons. In the market to downsize my '14 Explorer as my kids are getting older and starting to get licenses of their own. The family truckster is no longer needed or wanted with three rows. Test drove a '23 Hyundai Sante Fe Hybrid SEL Premium this weekend and quite liked it. Still going to be out checking out other vehicles and such but wanted to see if there was any general feedback on Hyundai's reliability/quality in 2023. I've been out of the automotive purchasing loop for quite some time and Hyundai was not a perceived 'quality' brand when I last looked at them a long time ago.

Have they 'mostly' worked out any issues with reliability, parts availability, etc. or is it still a brand that I should stay away from in general. If I need to rule them out from the start, I'd rather not waste my time keeping them on the list if so.

ANY feedback is appreciated, thank y'all very much.

Google Hyundai or Kia theta ii engine for some fun with a long tradition of recalls, lawsuits, and blown up engines.

I didn't know about it until my cousin's blew up jusssst outside of warranty and she got told by the dealer and kia itself to pound sand.

Looking into getting a rebuilt or junkyard motor was a non starter due to demand.

It left a sour taste in my mouth.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

Google Hyundai or Kia theta ii engine for some fun with a long tradition of recalls, lawsuits, and blown up engines.

I didn't know about it until my cousin's blew up jusssst outside of warranty and she got told by the dealer and kia itself to pound sand.

Looking into getting a rebuilt or junkyard motor was a non starter due to demand.

The Nu engine also. Same poo poo. Dealer gave me a super hard time when it lunched itself and sounded like death (they originally tried to blame it on a non-Hyundai oil filter saying "it can send oil to the wrong places and can move around") but finally relented after I escalated repeatedly and thank god kept all my receipts from DIY oil changes and we got a new one in the wife's 13 Elantra. After a 6 month wait because it was backordered nationally, of course. They only wanted to cover a loaner for 7 days, LOL. They relented on that too but we had to bring it back every 2 weeks for them to renew the loaner contract or some poo poo.

There's been a few other warranty issues they refuse to help me with (steering coupler extended warranty for 10 years, wouldn't help me at 10.5 years. coil spring rusted and broke, there's also an extended warranty for that, but I did it myself before I knew it was covered and they won't reimburse me even for the parts since I don't have a receipt from a shop)

We only still have the pile because it's paid off and has a 15k mile engine in it.

Never again.

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 23, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chunjee posted:

Fluid Film or similar wool oil product every year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epkeq3VIFEE

Not that rubber permanent stuff

Case in point, this guy has more or less the same truck I do, and his after six Ohio winters looks about the same as my Arizona truck. I've never dealt with winter prep myself but SMA has also shown videos of similarly-aged Colorados/Canyons that are already quite rotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2o3RYWBeAI

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

honda whisperer posted:

opengl posted:

The Nu engine also. Same poo poo. Dealer gave me a super hard time when it lunched itself and sounded like death (they originally tried to blame it on a non-Hyundai oil filter saying "it can send oil to the wrong places and can move around") but finally relented after I escalated repeatedly and thank god kept all my receipts from DIY oil changes and we got a new one in the wife's 13 Elantra. After a 6 month wait because it was backordered nationally, of course. They only wanted to cover a loaner for 7 days, LOL. They relented on that too but we had to bring it back every 2 weeks for them to renew the loaner contract or some poo poo.

There's been a few other warranty issues they refuse to help me with (steering coupler extended warranty for 10 years, wouldn't help me at 10.5 years. coil spring rusted and broke, there's also an extended warranty for that, but I did it myself before I knew it was covered and they won't reimburse me even for the parts since I don't have a receipt from a shop)

We only still have the pile because it's paid off and has a 15k mile engine in it.

Never again.

These are not great stories. As neither of those engines are in the one I'm looking at, this is more of a cautionary tale of how Hyundai and its dealers handle big issues like this I am gathering?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah but to be fair every OEM and dealer network is kind of poo poo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I grew up with an unheated garage but if you have a heated garage it should be well ventilated.

You can do a carport or whatever but I don’t really trust them to not blow away or get otherwise hosed up on to your car.

My garage has a built in carport like this, common configuration here, though in retrospect I wish it had been a garage area too because I can never have enough indoor area.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lol omg that sucks so bad, is that like some kind of zoning thing where a single garage is allowed but a double isn’t?

it’s like the builder played a joke on you

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No that's a common style of garage here because people don't want to park their cars indoors in winter. For reasons mentioned.

And stop being such an aggro goon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Where do you live, out of curiosity? I’m from a fairly cold and snowy place and everyone put their car inside if possible. That style is not really a thing here. Much more common to have an unheated detached garage / shed / barn.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

TraderStav posted:

These are not great stories. As neither of those engines are in the one I'm looking at, this is more of a cautionary tale of how Hyundai and its dealers handle big issues like this I am gathering?

There’s no real issues with the hybrid 1.6 that I’ve seen. PM me any questions if you like.

That goon’s stories are unique to me. I wouldn’t have had a problem covering any Theta II even with aftermarket filters, or getting the coil spring reimbursed. The steering coupler sounds legit. When a warranty gets extended to 10 years, there’s no extra grace after that in almost any case. The coupler itself it like $1, and about 1.5-2 hours labour. I think warranty pays 1.4. So if you have to fix a $200 item on your 10-year old economy car, I think that’s very reasonable.

Common problems generate a lot of noise, as do large scale recall actions. No one counts the examples of vehicles without the problem, and the owners of relatively trouble-free cars don’t post all over the internet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Where do you live, out of curiosity? I’m from a fairly cold and snowy place and everyone put their car inside if possible. That style is not really a thing here. Much more common to have an unheated detached garage / shed / barn.

Finland, this is a common style in Finland and Sweden both.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finland, this is a common style in Finland and Sweden both.

Interesting. It gets a lot colder and snowier there than in the northeast US (some exceptions apply in both directions). I’ve never really heard to keep the car outside to protect it. I’m sure it makes some marginal difference but I don’t think I would bother if I had an actual indoor heated garage. It’s nice to not go outside to a cold car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

No that's a common style of garage here because people don't want to park their cars indoors in winter. For reasons mentioned.

that’s not a thing in wintery New England, or really anywhere in North America as far as I’m aware, and I’ve lived in Alaska

also stop reading aggression where there isn’t any, it’s a comment about a garage

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

honest question -- why do people want to park outdoors in winter? I want to be indoors to avoid, say, frost (maybe not an issue in your area?)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pmchem posted:

honest question -- why do people want to park outdoors in winter? I want to be indoors to avoid, say, frost (maybe not an issue in your area?)

Are those buildings ever heated? Could it be an energy saving or building resource saving thing?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It would take as much material to square that corner instead of popping it in, so I doubt it’s anything but a practical reason.

From what I gather, it’s about limiting thaw cycles and therefore wet car+salt; but gently caress that, I’m gonna park my car in my car house and heat it and give it hugs and kisses

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Dealers in general will suck. More that the theta ii still sucks today. If it was a problem they'd had for a year or two and then fixed the advice would be don't buy this model in these years.

I would dig deep into that specific engine. Did they design it? How long has it been in service?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

pmchem posted:

The commonly held wisdom here is that it's best for your cars "health" to be outside because snow, salt and ice will melt indoors, which will create a high humidity environment with salt in it. Talking about warm garages now, cold garages are different and plenty of people park indoors in cold garages or sheds.

Block heaters are also basically universal here and they are often connected to an electric blower so the cabin is warm and toasty too. And then there's also Webasto and the like, so having your car outdoors doesn't mean you have to get into a frozen car. I got into a warm car today even though it was -7C and my car was outside. e: It's not strictly required though, putting a roof over the car means the windows don't frost over. I don't know why, something todo with physics.

My garage is heated and that's why I like this setup, the car I use daily is parked in the carport. My garage is warm and nice for when I need to work on cars and also houses a workshop with a lathe & mill and other tools that like the climate controlled environment.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Where I live gets proper snowy winters and while there are plenty of people that don't have garages, really everyone wants to park inside if they can. Most people don't have heated garages, but really it's because it saves you from having to brush off snow and scrape off frost/ice in the morning.

That said, the split indoor/outdoor garage posted above I can see a lot of uses for. A lot of people around here will build extensions off their pole barns that are like that. Open on the sides but protect from above. Usually stashing things like firewood, lumber, tractors, etc. Basically stuff you don't necessarily want inside, but still would like to protect from the elements.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions/input! Have some things to consider.

No garage unfortunately but hopefully in the near future.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have PPF and also keep my car under a cover in the mountains in winter. It's an electric car so a big part of that is its much easier to get the snow off it, without the waste heat the last bit of snow and ice just never comes off.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

nadmonk posted:

Where I live gets proper snowy winters and while there are plenty of people that don't have garages, really everyone wants to park inside if they can. Most people don't have heated garages, but really it's because it saves you from having to brush off snow and scrape off frost/ice in the morning.

That said, the split indoor/outdoor garage posted above I can see a lot of uses for. A lot of people around here will build extensions off their pole barns that are like that. Open on the sides but protect from above. Usually stashing things like firewood, lumber, tractors, etc. Basically stuff you don't necessarily want inside, but still would like to protect from the elements.

One could condense it to covered but cold.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I need to order a replacement hubcap for my 2014 Civic. When I check the sides of the tires it reads "195/65R15". Does this mean I have 15" hubcaps?

VVV Thank you! I measured with a ruler and the hubcap was about 16 inches so I was a bit confused. Glad I checked here first.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 24, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Trickortreat posted:

I need to order a replacement hubcap for my 2014 Civic. When I check the sides of the tires it reads "195/65R15". Does this mean I have 15" hubcaps?

Yes

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

latinotwink1997 posted:

The other thing I’d do is whenever you get a little chip in the paint, touch it up ASAP. Fluid film or similar on the bottom will do wonders but you also want to avoid giving rust the chance to get a foothold on the rest of the car.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
When I bought my Prius C in 2013, I put it up on a lift and fluid-filmed the hell out of the undercarriage. It still looks great underneath, and doesn’t have any of the classic Toyota insta-rusting fasteners.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Fit is using bolts like this to hold the muffler flange:

Looking under the car though, it doesn't seem like it's doing anything a normal bolt (maybe with a washer to hold the spring) wouldn't do just as well. Is there something I'm missing there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We've got a 24 hr-v and I would like to get seat covers for it. We have a baby on the way and while I know everything I have is going to end up stained in some way I'd like to prevent who knows what from easily soaking into the seats. I bought universal neoprene ones from AutoZone and they fit terribly so I returned them. Some of the first few Google searches turn up coverking and suggest ordering from Costco where it's cheaper than direct but I figured I would ask in here for suggestions before slamming money on the first thing