Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Trilobite posted:

I don't think "feature complete" means anything in CIG-speak, any more than "alpha" does.

It might just mean that someone has finally decided what a Minimally Viable Product for Sq42 would look like, and now they "only" have to make that stuff work.

Featurecreep complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/DruhCHQ.mp4

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trilobite posted:

I don't think "feature complete" means anything in CIG-speak, any more than "alpha" does.

It might just mean that someone has finally decided what a Minimally Viable Product for Sq42 would look like, and now they "only" have to make that stuff work.

It felt very telling that at least as far as I heard no one elaborated whatsoever on what "feature complete" means in this case. Everyone can have their own dreams.txt about that I suppose

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Thank you for your service jobbo. I couldn’t be bothered to watch that poo poo but I read your ticker. Stay frosty

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

NoMas posted:

is that....?

Rhona Mitra.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That grenade he threw never went off.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I tried playing the game. I got the option to go into a tutorial. I did, and got stuck 3 minutes into it because the game refused to acknowledge that I had drunk a bottle of water.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

No Mods No Masters posted:

It felt very telling that at least as far as I heard no one elaborated whatsoever on what "feature complete" means in this case. Everyone can have their own dreams.txt about that I suppose

All Features Are Complete

Ly Written On Whiteboards

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Think they meant to say the "all feature" is complete.

The "all feature" makes sure there are fresh towels and mints put a top of all pillows at the start of every game.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Wouldn't the planet be super tiny or the clouds hugely high for them to be visibly bumpy like that. Like the old titbit that earth is smoother than a billiard ball at that scale.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Feature complete with only 2 systems, one of which hasn't even been released to commandos yet? This military campaign is going places!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lobsterminator posted:

Wouldn't the planet be super tiny or the clouds hugely high for them to be visibly bumpy like that. Like the old titbit that earth is smoother than a billiard ball at that scale.

yes

but there didn't seem to a scene in the entire game that the Crobbler didn't say "MORE CLOUDS" too

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

FishMcCool posted:

Feature complete with only 2 systems, one of which hasn't even been released to commandos yet? This military campaign is going places!

This just proves that the secret dev build has all the star systems already in it

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

IIRC yeah, but all the planets in SC are something like 1/10 scale or thereabouts.

Crusader, the gas giant, is supposed to be about as big as Jupiter but isn’t because lol space is large

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

IIRC yeah, but all the planets in SC are something like 1/10 scale or thereabouts.

Crusader, the gas giant, is supposed to be about as big as Jupiter but isn’t because lol space is large

And that's honestly fine and the effect is cool, but it's just funny how the SC fanbase seems to be super adamant about realism and then the actual biggest part of the game is closer to Outer Wilds scale.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

evilmiera posted:

I tried playing the game. I got the option to go into a tutorial. I did, and got stuck 3 minutes into it because the game refused to acknowledge that I had drunk a bottle of water.

Admit it. you didn't drink that water.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's very sad someone would just barge into this thread and sully it with such obviously lies like that.

This is a thread only for those who know how to drink the glass of water. :colbert:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

dr_rat posted:

Think they meant to say the "all feature" is complete.

The "all feature" makes sure there are fresh towels and mints put a top of all pillows at the start of every game.

That can't possibly be true. Just imagine how the bedsheets might be deformed by the weight of fresh towels and pillow mints!

I mean, they'll get there eventually, for sure, when the pipelines really open up and the tools are ready, but right now, it's still Early Days, and everyone will just have to settle for the tier zero blanket (with a pattern swiped from GettyImages and the watermarks half-assedly photoshopped off) and a penguin plushie that occasionally jitters through walls and kills them.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
So when can i finally play Squadron54 starring academy award winner gary parpman

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Intrusive thoughts made me think about this game for the first time in years. While No Man's Sky has been iterating and improving and releasing new content at a steady rate is there a funny answer for what Star Citizen has achieved?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kinda curious what happens if you don't hide the boat. or you nudge a piece of terrain and have to spend 30 seconds backing off. does the old man scream at you and you blow up and you have to quickload?

and there are SO MANY 'walk and talk' or 'wait and talk' scenes that they showed off

a wannabe-movie aesthetic that reflects the crobbler's touch

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

That can't possibly be true. Just imagine how the bedsheets might be deformed by the weight of fresh towels and pillow mints!

What a lack of ambition. Imagine a star tear rolling down a commando's cheek only to bounce into a strand of star hair making it drop on top of a wrinkle in the sheets, causing the most minimal deformation both as it wets the fabric and when it evaporates from it, which increases the amount of H20 vapor in the air, delaying by a few vital nanoseconds the activation of the fire extinguishing system as a fully-simulated fire rolls into the room... just as you commando t-posses and falls thru the floor into open space.

That's the true star citizen immersion experience.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Cutedge posted:

This is heresy but maybe SQ404 will be... good?

Guess we'll see in 2025 or maybe 2026

edit: i'm probably being way too optimistic about these dates

This is exactly how CIG keeps making money. This isn’t even the first time they’ve done a presentation like this, the game is never releasing and what they have produced so far is garbage.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

kinda curious what happens if you don't hide the boat. or you nudge a piece of terrain and have to spend 30 seconds backing off. does the old man scream at you and you blow up and you have to quickload?

and there are SO MANY 'walk and talk' or 'wait and talk' scenes that they showed off

a wannabe-movie aesthetic that reflects the crobbler's touch

I imagine the game will just not account for it and if you complain about this fans will berate you for playing it wrong.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

The commandos are creaming their pants. SQ42 release 2024, all publishers will be anxious about the release date because you don't want your game to compete against SQ42, take my money Chris, etc. Incredible.

Web Madness
Apr 25, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Watching the video again it seems like it’s turned into an “everything game” just like SC, as Chris has been chasing the industry for 11 years now. It wants to be a modern WC, but also have large open ended levels, ground sections, complex physics puzzles, fully realized spaceship interiors, destructible environments, full object interactivity, and a million other things that will never work or even form a cohesive vision.

I just wanted Freelancer 2 :negative:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Many thanks again to Jobby Fett for sitting through that last night and posting his brains. Brave work Commando

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

smellmycheese posted:

Many thanks again to Jobby Fett for sitting through that last night and posting his brains. Brave work Commando

Seconded, it was like the old days for a little while.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So I hear the game will be out soon?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Web Madness posted:

This is already out and it's called Everspace 2.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Web Madness posted:

Seriously, everspace 2.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Optimistic takes on the state of Star Citizen are the funniest thing to happen in this thread in ages.

brb buying an Idris

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Hopefully this will at least be the start of a renewal of actual gameplay to make fun of, instead of boring lists of stuff they want to do but never actually does.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’ve done mistakes in my life for sure but I’m forever grateful that I never stepped into the SC trap.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Star posted:

Hopefully this will at least be the start of a renewal of actual gameplay to make fun of, instead of boring lists of stuff they want to do but never actually does.

Gameplay? There’s Pube-Tech to be finished before any of that sort of thing

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Server Meshing should be the biggest story of the year for gaming outlets and yet... posted:

It's nowhere! What in the world is going on with the gaming world that this isn't being talked about and celebrated - this is a huge deal. This is billion dollar game technology and is almost as big a leap forward for gaming as 3d graphics were - maybe even bigger.

It's so big, in fact, that many said that it was impossible for years and they did it.

Why isn't this being talked about outside the SC community?

quote:

What outlets have you been following that publish positive news? Lol

OP posted:

These aren't "positive" it's just information.

quote:

To acknowledge SC's deliveries like this is to end the drama-fueled cash-for-clicks narrative teat much of the gaming "press" has been suckling these past years.

SC can *never* be acknowledged as doing well, even though they've been on a several-year trajectory of objective progress culminating in the successful accomplishments of figuring out PES and server meshing back-to-back.

Some people who don't understand the vast differences in scale, scope, fidelity and complexity unique to SC will say "other companies have figured out 'server meshing'" but the reality is, not like this they haven't.

This is a monumental success that we'll never read about in the gaming press.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm reading that he said "the polish phase can take some time". Can we guess 2025 then?

Only 11 years later than the original call that needed to be answered.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lmao at getting pissy at the 'cash for clicks' motivations of the corrupt gaming press! unlike CIG, which, uh, I'll come in again.

also lmao at the notion that 'server meshing tech is delivered'. Some dev gave a literally greybox demonstration that is not in any way shape or form 'in game'. If it was anything remotely ready for 'in game' they'd show it!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I imagine the game will just not account for it and if you complain about this fans will berate you for playing it wrong.

if you don't hide under the trees the game will load a video of Chris Roberts berating you for ruining his artistic vision

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 23, 2023

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I mean they spent years building this alleged technology of server meshing and meanwhile the rest of the industry realized you can just dynamically match people in and out of private spaces and no one cares because persistance doesn't mean anything and doesn't sell call of duty skins.

I love MMOs but the MMO industry is dead and WoW announcing that they are going free to play in two weeks is only going to cement that.

Call of Duty's 1+ billion dollar annual revenue laughs at your 600 million dollars over the last 12 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

350+ new comments, wtf happened? i was just shitposting yesterday evening