Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Magic saying he didn't put stake in a baseball team :rubby: Riverboat Ron better pack his bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yo this guy spittin

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is Treylon Burks decent or does he show any hope of being decent?

Because right now, flipping AJ Brown for him and cap space seems incredibly bad and that GM should be fired, which he was.

Depends on if he can actually stay healthy.

Also if he can get a QB that isn't washed or just bad.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

syzpid posted:

The ending of the Colts/Browns game was absolute BS. The problem is the Refs refuse to have any sort of oversight because they refuse to believe they might be wrong. But the sky judge ala XFL is definitely the answer and the league needs to figure out how to get it done. The amount of flags or non flags at the end of the game changing the results feels gratuitous this year. With all the legal gambling, and every NFL adbreak having at least 1 gambling ad, someone should look into it more.

The NFL already has this, it's what "expedited review" is

For the Browns/Colts games the issue is the mechanics/emphasis, it seems like both flags were thrown "correctly" according to the current philosophy which isn't going to get overturned by review

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

The NFL already has this, it's what "expedited review" is

For the Browns/Colts games the issue is the mechanics/emphasis, it seems like both flags were thrown "correctly" according to the current philosophy which isn't going to get overturned by review

Ignoring the first flag because it was at least by the book, even though Walker was never getting that pass off. The Pass Interference call was wrong because the ball has to at least be catchable, and it was so high and far out of the end zone, no WR could have caught it AND kept their feet inbounds. I don't mind the refs throwing that flag, because err on the side of caution in the moment, but it should have taken 5 seconds of watching that replay to overturn the penalty.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

For years, the patriots had no business losing in Miami, yet the dolphins kept pulling out wins.

The tables have turned.
Oh, the first time the Dolphins pulled out the Wildcat package was a wonderful day.

Then Billy B prepped for it for the next game and it wasn't as effective.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

syzpid posted:

Ignoring the first flag because it was at least by the book, even though Walker was never getting that pass off. The Pass Interference call was wrong because the ball has to at least be catchable, and it was so high and far out of the end zone, no WR could have caught it AND kept their feet inbounds. I don't mind the refs throwing that flag, because err on the side of caution in the moment, but it should have taken 5 seconds of watching that replay to overturn the penalty.

Once a ref says DPI they will never back down or overturn it because they're giant babies who can't stand being told they were wrong (lawyers).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah there's no oversight for the refs at all. A sky judge would need to be not affiliated with the refs in any way and have absolute authority. But no way would the refs do that.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

He's still got it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm glad for a whole new group of people who don't follow the nba to get to experience Magics tweets

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Once a ref says DPI they will never back down or overturn it because they're giant babies who can't stand being told they were wrong (lawyers).

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah there's no oversight for the refs at all. A sky judge would need to be not affiliated with the refs in any way and have absolute authority. But no way would the refs do that.

Pretty much agree 100% with both these opinions. It just feels like each season is getting worse with these end of game penalties and the NFL is doing nothing. Meanwhile they are finining players for "taunting" and cool TD celebrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cops, refs are cops :acab:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

fartknocker posted:

Cops, refs are cops :acab:

I agree that they're football cops. I just mean that they're almost all lawyers as well.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What would a game without refs look like? Everybody just holding and throwing dirty hits constantly?

30 minute arguments every play about where the ball should be spotted

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is Treylon Burks decent or does he show any hope of being decent?

Because right now, flipping AJ Brown for him and cap space seems incredibly bad and that GM should be fired, which he was.

The Jets had AJ Brown's best friend on their team and didn't trade for him for some stupid reason despite their entire fanbase screaming at them to trade for him.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the only sky judge i need is my lord and savior jesus christ thank you very much 🙏

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I think its good to remember that for a pass to be ruled uncatchable someone in the 1st row needs to be taking it home as a souvenir.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

There is some oversight for the refs just not in the middle of a game

College has replay done by a completely separate team and it loving sucks poo poo because those people are usually less experienced than the refs and so make worse decisions

Re. The uncatchable pass thing basically the line is that it'll only get rules uncatchable if it literally lands in the stands, to avoid a super athletic play making the refs look dumb. Most of the times the calls are "justified" under the rules & mechanics, but that the rules and mechanics (which come down from the league) are pretty stupid (usually to encourage more offence)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MikeCrotch posted:

College has replay done by a completely separate team and it loving sucks poo poo because those people are usually less experienced than the refs and so make worse decisions

Did they change it up so there's a team? That would make sense if they did so.

The replay system used to be one ref in the booth trying to watch everything on the field, which is...you know, kind of a hard job to do. And then TV finds a replay right after the next play has run and you look like a moron. Which doesn't mean you aren't a moron, but I understand why that job is a little rough.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree that they're football cops. I just mean that they're almost all lawyers as well.

hmm, gotta call CBS with a new idea for a police procedural

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dunno how the most popular sport in America is just impossible to find anyone capable of doing the job that weekend warrior lawyers do.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Good refs could exist. Everyone talks about how hard the job of an umpire is in baseball, except... there are good umpires. If the league had a bunch of Pat Hobergs, nobody would complain. They just refuse to replace the bad ones.

I imagine the same is true with NFL refs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Asproigerosis posted:

Dunno how the most popular sport in America is just impossible to find anyone capable of doing the job that weekend warrior lawyers do.
I think they stick to people who, due to their profession, can be trusted to be impartial, decisive, and capable of memorizing large amounts of pedantic rules.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think it's a really loving hard job. The scab refs were noticeably worse.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think they stick to people who, due to their profession, can be trusted to be impartial, decisive, and capable of memorizing large amounts of pedantic rules.

that would be good but i think he said they're mostly lawyers

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I think the job looks pretty easy tbh.

What im saying is NFL hire me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phobeste posted:

that would be good but i think he said they're mostly lawyers
Sigh, yeah. I meant to include "they think can be trusted to..." but I ruined my own bad joke.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's buck wild to me that NFL refs aren't full time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MJeff posted:

yeah. who in the world would want to be a NFL ref? poo poo pay, everyone hates you, you can’t watch the games other than the one you’re at. do they even get comped super bowl tickets if they’re not working it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pmchem posted:

yeah. who in the world would want to be a NFL ref? poo poo pay, everyone hates you, you can’t watch the games other than the one you’re at. do they even get comped super bowl tickets if they’re not working it?

NFL refs make like 200k a year for a part time job

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Id just work arms everyday and make a probowl event Ref Arm Wrestling

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MJeff posted:

It's wild that the NFL won't pay them enough to do so but I still don't think it would make them appreciably better at their jobs. There's only so much studying of the rulebook one can do, past that it's having awareness and vision to see stuff that's going on.

This was college but I suspect there's also weird seniority things going on that stop calls like this from getting made in crews, like that's not your call to make, how dare you throw that flag? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaebcXBsgCE

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

MJeff posted:

This is a league that doesn't want to spend money on maintaining natural grass fields, it isn't that wild they won't make them full time employees

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

pmchem posted:

Some people just love reffing

You to get to NFL by working your way up through high school/college

Also you have to do a lot of meetings during the week where you review the previous week's games and do training camp and preseason too

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

abolish the refs. players and coaches make calls. if there is a disagreement, gameplay will be stopped until the two teams come to an agreement. if an agreement can’t be reached then tiebreaker goes to the team with the least amount of felonies

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m glad Magical Johnson is tweeting about the NFL

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s not poo poo pay anymore it’s literally 200-250k a year

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok their pay is fine, i was thinking of old numbers i guess

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm glad for a whole new group of people who don't follow the nba to get to experience Magics tweets

We don't have enough Chime-In Charlie NFL owners these days. I think Irsay is the only other one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It's a once a week, weekend job 18 times a year paying $200k a year already. If they have other jobs and aren't doing it full time, it's because they want poo poo to do the rest of the time.