Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Borderlands in general is a very 2007-2012 le epic cheezburger franchise, aka an era old enough to receive derision but not old enough to be a source of overwhelming rose tinted nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Waffleman_ posted:

It is apparently a feature length adaptation of one of the fake trailers from Grindhouse and Eli Roth left Borderlands to do this

Three of the four trailers have now been made into actual movies and they’ve mostly been terrible. Eli Roth can eat a bowl of infected dog poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Borderlands in general is a very 2007-2012 le epic cheezburger franchise, aka an era old enough to receive derision but not old enough to be a source of overwhelming rose tinted nostalgia

The best Borderlands game was Tales from the Borderlands, a spinoff mostly written by people outside the main Borderlands team, and the minute the main Borderlands team wrote their own follow up to it, it went to poo poo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I still remember the first preview of Borderlands, before it had any gameplay footage, where they were describing this insane modular/randomizer gun mechanic and that they built a similar system for vehicles.

Then you play the game and the randomizer stuff was just rolled stats.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Three of the four trailers have now been made into actual movies and they’ve mostly been terrible. Eli Roth can eat a bowl of infected dog poo poo.

What were the other ones besides machete? As far as I know there aren’t feature length versions of Don’t or Werewolf Women of the SS, I guess you can count Hobo With A Shotgun, but that wasn’t an official part of the double bill and only shown in a few theaters.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The Hobo With A Shotgun trailer played at all the Canadian shows iirc. So it counts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grindhouse never even got released where I live. The extended editions of the individual films were, but Planet Terror went straight to DVD. Only Deathproof got a cinema release, and for some reason, only the Machete trailer got screened with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I gotta be honest I can understand why they would put Deathproof in theaters and make Planet Terror straight to DVD.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I still remember the first preview of Borderlands, before it had any gameplay footage, where they were describing this insane modular/randomizer gun mechanic and that they built a similar system for vehicles.

Then you play the game and the randomizer stuff was just rolled stats.

Yet the loot collecting aspect is definitely the highlight of the gameplay. The second and third games did the random guns better because you get combinations of not just stats but also different attachments, effects and brand features.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've never played it but I read a preview in PC-Gamer back when Borderlands still looked like this

Which said all the guns were entirely randomized so you could get wacky stuff like a revolver that shoots shotgun shells, Sniper rifle that shoots rapid fire rockets, and that you should be able to tell these capabilities looking at the guns.

Did that not pan out?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sort of. Borderlands end up differentiating weapons based on manufacturers with each having their own style, trademark and weapon types. You can usually tell if the gun has sights, scope, bigger magazine, reduced recoil and such based on their visual design but for the more specific features you would have to read the stats.

https://borderlands.fandom.com/wiki/Manufacturer

One of my favourite aspect of this series is that these fictional companies are not just labels but they can actually take part in the story.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 23, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ruddiger posted:

What were the other ones besides machete? As far as I know there aren’t feature length versions of Don’t or Werewolf Women of the SS, I guess you can count Hobo With A Shotgun, but that wasn’t an official part of the double bill and only shown in a few theaters.

My mistake, it’s three out of five.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

maybe they'll make a sequel in another 15 years that's vastly improved and matured, god of war style

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MikeJF posted:

maybe they'll make a sequel in another 15 years that's vastly improved and matured, god of war style

man I can't imagine what the equivalent of Reddit humor will be in 15 years, the stuff the kids of Zoomers will think is hilarious and random. But I assume it will give anyone over the age of 40 an immediate seizure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Claptrap will be a sad dad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We already have future memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHD_9YYmBlY

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah this looks like the kind of meme Gen Z would make when they're older. At least according to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTze5To1Dw

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

the dad of boy games were dogshit compared to the old series

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Claptrap is going to emerge from a toilet and say weird poo poo all game

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We discussing Borderlands in the poster thread? Excellent. I enjoyed Tiny Tina's Wonderland but like all Borderlands games they don't know how to end it and replay is awful it's always depressing to keep playing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Haha, what the gently caress

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

We discussing Borderlands in the poster thread? Excellent. I enjoyed Tiny Tina's Wonderland but like all Borderlands games they don't know how to end it and replay is awful it's always depressing to keep playing.

And Blight/Stabbo just cheeses everything…I love my invisible poison witch

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

TWO?!?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm seeing double: Four lesbian homies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jesus, I want it

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

James Cameron goes into the pitch room, writes THE LESBIAN HOMIE on the board, followed by a 2, then draws a line through it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do I need to have watched Godzilla Minus Two or Godzilla Zero first

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oppenheimer was a prequel

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rochallor posted:

James Cameron goes into the pitch room, writes THE LESBIAN HOMIE on the board, followed by a 2, then draws a line through it.

Okay, but in this one, were not just dealing with one Lesbian Homie like in the first film. This time there are dozens of Lesbian Homies. We even get to see the Lesbian Homie Queen. And I can assure you gentlemen, this queen does slay.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Weird Al's feeling nostalgic huh?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dude is hilarious, his crowd work is on point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1720477809645129845?s=20

You know the MCU is in dire straits because Kevin had to resort to hiring an actual graphic designer to make a good poster

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1720477809645129845?s=20

You know the MCU is in dire straits because Kevin had to resort to hiring an actual graphic designer to make a good poster

I mean... did they?

Or do you mean a graphic designer who time traveled here from the 2000s to remind us of orange and teal?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not to mention the posterize filter, which I've been embarrassed to use since I was 14.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

To be fair Waffleman didnt say a good designer, just a designer. This beats the usual floating heads pasted on CG at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, it's good in relative terms. There's a vision here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's certainly a break from the standard MarvelTM Poster Experience Type 3 Subset Q that we usually get.