Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

Nah, just a single episode.

I liked it, watching Teal'c slowly give up, but even then, the game wouldn't let him die.

Those Anubis super soldiers were cool as hell.

I was saying I remember the next ep previews in general being cheesy things unless it was for a 2 parter. A collection of them might be fun to watch but I don't know they exist in a nice set already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

I was saying I remember the next ep previews in general being cheesy things unless it was for a 2 parter. A collection of them might be fun to watch but I don't know they exist in a nice set already.

My bad, apologies.

A collection of the cheesy episodes?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

no all the next episode previews.

I think I can find the good episodes by throwing a dart at the random button

Though the thread doing a watch of sorts might be fun pick an ep for each week or something.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

no all the next episode previews.

I think I can find the good episodes by throwing a dart at the random button

Though the thread doing a watch of sorts might be fun pick an ep for each week or something.

I'd be down for that. Right now I casually watch 4 hours a day of SG1 while WFH as it's broadcast over the air on Comet TV (love that channel), but I'm usually only paying limited attention. Then I watch an episode of SGA while on the elliptical.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Charles Shaughnessy as an early Elon Musk parody

Edit: it took 8 seasons for Teal'C to duct tape two staffs together

Armacham fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

Charles Shaughnessy as an early Elon Musk parody

Edit: it took 8 seasons for Teal'C to duct tape two staffs together

Is that the guy who was going to expose the Stargate program?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Is that the guy who was going to expose the Stargate program?

Yeah and then they take him on a little field trip.

Season 8 is weird because it's such a departure from the early formula but you get such quality character study episodes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

Yeah and then they take him on a little field trip.

Season 8 is weird because it's such a departure from the early formula but you get such quality character study episodes.

Indeed. That was the season RDA half checked out, and then was mostly gone for 9-10.

I loved it, but also missed RDA.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Can't really blame him, guy decided to be a Dad

It really helped the other chars in s8, and when RDA was around it really made the arc episodes even more important

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

there's the episode he literally phoned in the lines for

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
last night i went to watch just 1-2 episodes but the episodes were so good i had to force myself to turn it off and go to bed.

the first one was where a gouald was pretending to be a rebel leader. that dudes voice when he is giving a speech was so good. the entire episode was great

the 2nd was the one where they take nid people from death row to go save a planet they endangered. one of them sacrafices himself to save sg1 and the other dies saving sam.

the 3rd was the one where daniel dies / ascends this was a great one but mostly for the jack / daniel stuff. jack telling daniel he basically used him as a concious then refusing to let earth let the other planet pin the blame on daniel. plus the flash back showing how daniel got the radiation poisoning. also this is a hell of a send off for a character.

the 4th was the one right after daniel dies. the 2nd one was when the gouald attack thor and capture him we learn some cool poo poo about the asgardians and its still a good episode plus we finally sort of see anubis and the power he has.

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 20, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

snergle posted:

last night i went to watch just 1-2 episodes but the episodes were so good i had to force myself to turn it off and go to bed.

the first one was where a gouald was pretending to be a rebel leader. that dudes voice when he is giving a speech was so good. the entire episode was great

the 2nd was the one where they take nid people from death row to go save a planet they endangered. one of them sacrafices himself to save sg1 and the other dies saving sam.

the 3rd was the one where daniel dies / ascends this was a great one but mostly for the jack / daniel stuff. jack telling daniel he basically used him as a concious then refusing to let earth let the other planet pin the blame on daniel. plus the flash back showing how daniel got the radiation poisoning. also this is a hell of a send off for a character.

the 4th was the one right after daniel dies. the 2nd one was when the gouald attack thor and capture him we learn some cool poo poo about the asgardians and its still a good episode plus we finally sort of see anubis and the power he has.

Producer on ep1: "Christopher Judge wants more words and less eyebrow, give him a MLK episode or something"
Producer on ep2: "We need a CIA episode! Humans are cheap!!"
Producer on ep3: "We need an episode that reinforces the deep-seated masculine love of Jack x Daniel, so fans will forever write fanfic"
Producer on ep4: "Holy poo poo, did you know that if the bad guy wears a face mask, we don't need to waste millions on the goa'uld makeup?!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chris Judge wrote cool episodes, and him sprinting out of the Stargate yelling "DECEIVER" is an all-time moment for the big man. That's also the P90 demonstration episode. A classic, and one of my faves so far.

FWIW my #1 episode is still The Other Side, a very Star Trek plot, handled in the most Stargate of ways.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

well why not posted:

That's also the P90 demonstration episode. A classic, and one of my faves so far.

Is there a human equivalent 'weapon of terror'? Something deadly, but mostly for effect?

Closest I can think of is Flamethrower.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

F35

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Is there a human equivalent 'weapon of terror'? Something deadly, but mostly for effect?

Most of the terror weapon type stuff has been banned by treaties and conventions of warfare, not that they don't still get used here and there. Flame weapons/incendiary ammo against personnel, nuclear/biological/chemical/radiological systems, most weapons designed or altered to intentionally cripple, maim or blind/deafen against soft targets. Of course, most things get outlawed after they're used at least once.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Most of the terror weapon type stuff has been banned by treaties and conventions of warfare, not that they don't still get used here and there. Flame weapons/incendiary ammo against personnel, nuclear/biological/chemical/radiological systems, most weapons designed or altered to intentionally cripple, maim or blind/deafen against soft targets. Of course, most things get outlawed after they're used at least once.

"Shock and Awe" ain't banned.

Though of course in that context (Iraq War 1), it was all targeted.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Beachcomber posted:

A-10 is mostly for the US’s own troop morale rather than being super effective in gun runs.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

well why not posted:

Chris Judge wrote cool episodes, and him sprinting out of the Stargate yelling "DECEIVER" is an all-time moment for the big man. That's also the P90 demonstration episode. A classic, and one of my faves so far.

FWIW my #1 episode is still The Other Side, a very Star Trek plot, handled in the most Stargate of ways.

It's handled trekishly, odo's in it!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

A-10 is mostly for the US’s own troop morale rather than being super effective in gun runs.

It was designed for suicide missions to delay a Soviet invasion. Turns out it works pretty well against enemies that can’t shoot back.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lifeboat is a great episode because it feels like they punished Michael Shanks for loving off for a season by making him act like a child and that is very funny

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Lifeboat is a great episode because it feels like they punished Michael Shanks for loving off for a season by making him act like a child and that is very funny

I loved the (good natured) shots they took at Shanks at the end of 200, when they interview his Wormhole X-Treme doppleganger.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ugh weird run of episodes this. Lifeboat is great, Space Race is possibly one of the worst episodes in the season (awful plot, terrible characters, just weirdly paced and a resolution that's very hamfisted), Avenger 2.0 is fantastic, then Birthright which is just Teal'c being weird misogynistic when he's never really shown that before.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Ugh weird run of episodes this. Lifeboat is great, Space Race is possibly one of the worst episodes in the season (awful plot, terrible characters, just weirdly paced and a resolution that's very hamfisted), Avenger 2.0 is fantastic, then Birthright which is just Teal'c being weird misogynistic when he's never really shown that before.

Space Race was like a side quest in a bioware game

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is that the one with the evil orville redenbacher quote?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Producer on ep1: "Christopher Judge wants more words and less eyebrow, give him a MLK episode or something"
Producer on ep2: "We need a CIA episode! Humans are cheap!!"
Producer on ep3: "We need an episode that reinforces the deep-seated masculine love of Jack x Daniel, so fans will forever write fanfic"
Producer on ep4: "Holy poo poo, did you know that if the bad guy wears a face mask, we don't need to waste millions on the goa'uld makeup?!

i kinda like the mask on anubis but youre probably right. i doubt in the 90s shows were purposly gaybaiting their ship audience for point 3. i dont think that episode was cheap it had alot of special effects. the shield defending the sentinel the asgardesq beaming of all the jaffa / gouald / nid members away the orbital bombardment. and honestly he should get more lines and i dont think that was ment to be an mlk episode. if anything the deciever had more of a malcom x cadence to his speech and was very win by any means nessisary. also tealc gets his rear end beat but wins through the fighting style braytec was trying to teach the recruits earlier in the episode. and of course plot armor

i also forgot that replicator creator girl was inbetween the first and 3rd idr which order. i think thats the only time ive seen daniel loving pissed. like he was mad at poo poo before but not like that.

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 21, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

"Shock and Awe" ain't banned.

Though of course in that context (Iraq War 1), it was all targeted.

Yeah but that's a tactical doctrine, not a weapons system.

Thinking more about it, the closest direct equivalents to the staff weapon would probably be exploding and flechette rounds, both of which are banned by the Hague Convention for inflicting grievous and unnecessary pain and suffering.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lol at the x-ray character credit for shanks. This is the one where Vala magic stones into daniels body from the ori galaxy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Yeah but that's a tactical doctrine, not a weapons system.

Thinking more about it, the closest direct equivalents to the staff weapon would probably be exploding and flechette rounds, both of which are banned by the Hague Convention for inflicting grievous and unnecessary pain and suffering.

What about the bombs that scatter and when people go to pick them up they blow their arm off?

pixaal fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 21, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

What about the bombs that scatter and when people go to pick them up they blow their arm off?

Cluster bombs, definitely super hosed up, but I was thinking more an approximate equivalent to the staff weapon as an infantry-level weapon of terror.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Bagpipes?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol yes! Isn't that one of the intended purposes? To strike fear in the hearts of the enemy?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Lol at the x-ray character credit for shanks. This is the one where Vala magic stones into daniels body from the ori galaxy.

Carmen Argenzio is credited twice as both Selmak and Carter's Dad whenever he's on screen lol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

Carmen Argenzio is credited twice as both Selmak and Carter's Dad whenever he's on screen lol.

I just watched the episode where he blends with Selmak. Pretty interesting spin on the whole parasite/symbiote on what was beforehand a very clear villain (the Goa'uld).

And Daniel brings it up, but I'm not sure it's brought up again: Did Earth supply dying people to the Tok'ra for hosts? If the dying folks of Earth understood the deal and consented, it seems like a win-win honestly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Every tok’ra you see is a former Air Force pilot who got crippled by an osprey or an ejector seat

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

I just watched the episode where he blends with Selmak. Pretty interesting spin on the whole parasite/symbiote on what was beforehand a very clear villain (the Goa'uld).

And Daniel brings it up, but I'm not sure it's brought up again: Did Earth supply dying people to the Tok'ra for hosts? If the dying folks of Earth understood the deal and consented, it seems like a win-win honestly.

i think its one of those offscreen things that happen. like they have alot of new tokra and new hosts all the time after the episode. infact when martoof dies its a whole plot point that they are keeping the symbiote alive in some wierd symboiate machine while they wait for the new host to arrive and sam is like why didnt you try to save martoof

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Claudia Black :swoon:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The black hole episode is on now.

RIP to that SG team, though technically they are still not dead I think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

Claudia Black :swoon:

Imagine being poor Daniel and she won't stop hitting on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
After having finished SG1 and Atlantis, I started re-watching Universe. Its slightly better than I remembered and the increased production value is welcome. Its nice to see some of the old SG1 faces make occasional appearances.

I'm not crazy about some of the love triangle plot-lines so far as they try and be more serious and adult in the vein what was sure to be then imitating Battlestar, but I think I will miss this show knowing that it ended on such a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

I really wish someone would revive Stargate in some form. Its such a great IP.