Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Poor Swingin' Ape, Made Metal Arms and was immediately absorbed by Blizzard then dissolved when Starcraft Ghost was canned. Would've liked to have seen Metal Arms 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Vi3wtiful Jo3

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Upsidads posted:

Whats rumored in production for switch 2
Dk by Mario team
Not Xenoblade by monolith
Sonic Frontier -Bully edition Tech demo
FF7 Remake part 2 W/Funky Mode
GTv6
????

The Sequel to the Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Culdecept Saga but this time good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
deeply annoyed that the last thing I need to get the little shiny on my file in Mario Wonder is locked behind a loving gacha grind

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bleck posted:

deeply annoyed that the last thing I need to get the little shiny on my file in Mario Wonder is locked behind a loving gacha grind

I honestly don't understand why it's possible to pull doubles of the Standees. They turned a fun little :rolldice: purchase into a grind for no good reason.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly don't understand why it's possible to pull doubles of the Standees. They turned a fun little :rolldice: purchase into a grind for no good reason.

There’s a shop where you can spend 30 purps to get standees that are guaranteed to not be dupes

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Tender Bender posted:

I think Mario as a series lost its lead in the 2D platformer space a while ago and Wonder doesn't really change that for me. It's a totally fine entry but just like, slots in alongside a bunch of other really really good platformers. Unlike 3D platformers where Mario is pretty much the undisputed champ.

That's cos no mf does 3d platformers for some reason

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who else does good 2D platformers right now

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There’s a rumored F Zero game for Switch 2, but they’re only going to finish developing it if enough people play F Zero 99, otherwise they won’t think the franchise is popular enough anymore.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tender Bender posted:

I think Mario as a series lost its lead in the 2D platformer space a while ago and Wonder doesn't really change that for me. It's a totally fine entry but just like, slots in alongside a bunch of other really really good platformers. Unlike 3D platformers where Mario is pretty much the undisputed champ.

I have admittedly only played through the first two worlds at this point but this is about where I'm landing on Wonder. It's very good! But it doesn't blow me away or anything, and a lot of its ideas are being borrowed from other games in the last 10 years or so.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Bleck posted:

Having got 4 crouching yellow yoshis in a row yeah

for some reason purple coins are capped

Artix posted:

I have admittedly only played through the first two worlds at this point but this is about where I'm landing on Wonder. It's very good! But it doesn't blow me away or anything, and a lot of its ideas are being borrowed from other games in the last 10 years or so.

it actually picks up a bit after this.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 23, 2023

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Love the grabbing vine badge.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't even know there was a gacha grind associated with the standees. What?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Macaluso posted:

I didn't even know there was a gacha grind associated with the standees. What?

The regular poplin shops sell a random standee for 10 flower coins, with the chance of getting one you already have.

However, the special world shop sells them for 30 without a chance of doubles. I’m absolutely drowning in flower coins so unless things get weird in the last world it’s not really a grind if you use the special shop.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

The regular poplin shops sell a random standee for 10 flower coins, with the chance of getting one you already have.

However, the special world shop sells them for 30 without a chance of doubles. I’m absolutely drowning in flower coins so unless things get weird in the last world it’s not really a grind if you use the special shop.

And once you have about sixty of the standees, it's just more money efficient to buy them from the shop that doesn't do dupes.

When I finished the game and the last few badges became available to buy, I was only about 200 coins short of having bought everything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bought regular ones for ten until I had about 60-70% of them then moved on to the 30 coin no duplicates shop.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Shovel Knight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

symbolic posted:

Shovel Knight

Shovel Knight is almost a decade old at this point and their next game isn't a 2D platformer!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Shovel Knight is almost a decade old at this point and their next game isn't a 2D platformer!

im going to loving kill the passage of time

e: also King of Cards wasn't out until 2019, that's still recent!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
idk what other series could be "taking the crown" from mario because its not the 90s and there arent that many platformers in that style anymore. sonic mania is six years old now.

other stuff is like, metroidvanias, or SMB-like games like Celeste

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Celeste was almost Mario good but that game is five years old and is going for a different style. Can’t think of any modern standouts going for the Mario style. Pizza Tower is good but thats more of a Wario Land speedrun game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

symbolic posted:

im going to loving kill the passage of time

e: also King of Cards wasn't out until 2019, that's still recent!!!

Sure it is. Sure it is. :smith:

Jokes aside... while there are other good 2D platformers most of those fall into very specific spaces and even then they're not exactly a dime a dozen. Celeste is wonderful but comparing it to Mario feels like it does a disservice to them both, neither is really aiming for remotely the same thing. Beyond that every one I can think of that's remotely recent is either a Metroidvania, 3D, or uh Sonic Superstars which is a fine game but certainly gets its rear end kicked nine ways to Sunday by Wonder.

Edit: Pizza Tower is probably the closest I can think of?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Sure it is. Sure it is. :smith:

Jokes aside... while there are other good 2D platformers most of those fall into very specific spaces and even then they're not exactly a dime a dozen. Celeste is wonderful but comparing it to Mario feels like it does a disservice to them both, neither is really aiming for remotely the same thing. Beyond that every one I can think of that's remotely recent is either a Metroidvania, 3D, or uh Sonic Superstars which is a fine game but certainly gets its rear end kicked nine ways to Sunday by Wonder.

Edit: Pizza Tower is probably the closest I can think of?

Technically there was also the sequel Shovel Knight Dig that came out last year (though that one was more of a roguelike).

Speaking of, does Yacht Club have plans to make another game at some point (even if it has nothing to do with SK)?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re making a Zelda type game that stars a mouse next iirc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Technically there was also the sequel Shovel Knight Dig that came out last year (though that one was more of a roguelike).

Speaking of, does Yacht Club have plans to make another game at some point (even if it has nothing to do with SK)?

Yep, they're doing a Zelda-like game called Mina the Hollower:

https://www.yachtclubgames.com/games/mina-the-hollower/

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Larryb posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

ImpAtom posted:

Celeste is wonderful but comparing it to Mario feels like it does a disservice to them both, neither is really aiming for remotely the same thing.

NSMB with the co-op bubbles and Celeste with the accessibility options feel like they opened the way for Wonder to be so forgiving with players' time. A tangential connection, but I like it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yep, they're doing a Zelda-like game called Mina the Hollower:

https://www.yachtclubgames.com/games/mina-the-hollower/

Interesting, looks like it’s PC/Mac exclusive for the time being but that might change later

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I forgot that I gave Kickstart money to that

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

In between NSMBU and Wonder: Celeste, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Rayman Legends are all great, and that's before you get into different subgenres like the Ori games which are Metroidvanias with great platforming.

Wonder is really good, but so far it's like "this is a fun platformer, it's been a few years since I played one I liked this much" as opposed to Odyssey or the Galaxies which were peak of their genre for the generation and nothing else came close.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my reigning champ is still Rayman Legends. nothing else comes close. even the water stages were a delight

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think for me Wonder feels a little diluted from having played a lot of both Mario Makers, which exposed me to a ton of creative and unorthodox Mario stuff. A lot of the Wonder effects have been really neat but probably would have blown me away if I'd never played weird Mario Maker levels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

In between NSMBU and Wonder: Celeste, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Rayman Legends are all great, and that's before you get into different subgenres like the Ori games which are Metroidvanias with great platforming.

Wonder is really good, but so far it's like "this is a fun platformer, it's been a few years since I played one I liked this much" as opposed to Odyssey or the Galaxies which were peak of their genre for the generation and nothing else came close.

I feel like listing any of those games except maybe Celeste as 'recent' is a bit odd.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, they should make a new 3D Rayman platformer one day (I believe the last one was the one that introduced the Rabbids which then proceeded to completely take over the franchise until Origins came out)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, they should make a new 3D Rayman platformer one day (I believe the last one was the one that introduced the Rabbids which then proceeded to completely take over the franchise until Origins came out)

I'd much rather they make another 2D one if I had to pick TBH. 2D Rayman is WAY better than 3D.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like listing any of those games except maybe Celeste as 'recent' is a bit odd.

:shrug: they're all on Switch. It's still nice to get a new one! It's a good platformer that ranks alongside the top of the generation instead of being leaps and bounds ahead like the 3D Marios.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'd much rather they make another 2D one if I had to pick TBH. 2D Rayman is WAY better than 3D.

Rayman 2 was decent but otherwise fair point. Honestly I just want more Rayman in general that doesn’t involve those stupid rabbits

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nintendo swerves everyone and makes Wonder 2 a metroidvania with Mario gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If I loved Pikmin 3 but found it was kind of short, how would I likely feel about Pikmin 4?

For the record, I love 1 and 2.