Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anatomi posted:

Pleas don't let HBO know.

Deep in his lair beneath Warner Bros. HQ, David Zaslav stirs. He's heard there is a critically acclaimed and audience beloved animated series on his 90 Day Fiancee streaming service and assembles his accountant goblin minions to kill it and bring him the tax rebate to add to his hoard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just watched the first three episodes of scavengers reign, it's pretty cool and it seems like it's keeping their cards close to the chest for now (which is the core issue I've found with raised by wolves, once the mystery got out, it become far less interesting).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I am wondering if the recurring motif of the corpse with the flower growing out of it means something.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Warbird posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up and get the gently caress on this animation classic: https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1715409952251269158

I genuinely love this stupid show. It's not great by any means but it has its moments and honestly for a mid-90s adaptation of Mega Man I can't imagine anyone doing much better with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's way better art than is justified by the show if I remember correctly.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
The first flower is from the creature where they harvested the glowing balls who may have succumbed to its wounds, and the second was from the crab they was killed right?

Maybe the significance is in the sequence the little alien performed that got Ursula shook. Everything on the planet is there to perform a sequence but outright murder breaks the flow?

I wonder if they’re going for an avatar land type deal where the natives of Vesta just coexist. But humans come along and introduce the concept of murder. Maybe there’s a Pandora-like planetary oneness which is also slowly infecting Levi the robot who’s slowly getting in tune with it. Now planet is crying sad flower tears.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The thing that always trips me up is that Mega Man is voiced by the guy who did the original Ocean Dub Goku. Once you hear it you can't stop.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mycot posted:

The thing that always trips me up is that Mega Man is voiced by the guy who did the original Ocean Dub Goku. Once you hear it you can't stop.

Also Protoman is evil and Wily is German for some reason

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All mad scientists are German. That's just science

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also Protoman is evil and Wily is German for some reason

I mean he was modeled after Albert Einstein, so it kind of tracks. Proto Man being evil and the creation of Dr. Wily is just weird though. I was gonna say "Why did they need to make Proto Man evil when Bass was right there?" but I guess the show actually pre-dated Mega Man 7 by like at least a year or more, so Bass wasn't even a thing they could have drawn on for a rival character to Mega Man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean he was modeled after Albert Einstein, so it kind of tracks. Proto Man being evil and the creation of Dr. Wily is just weird though. I was gonna say "Why did they need to make Proto Man evil when Bass was right there?" but I guess the show actually pre-dated Mega Man 7 by like at least a year or more, so Bass wasn't even a thing they could have drawn on for a rival character to Mega Man.

It’s especially weird seeing as the show literally had Dark Man in one episode. But yeah, I guess they needed a rival character and Bass didn’t exist yet (X did however and showed up in one episode hilariously out of character)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

It’s especially weird seeing as the show literally had Dark Man in one episode. But yeah, I guess they needed a rival character and Bass didn’t exist yet (X did however and showed up in one episode hilariously out of character)

The X episode blew my mind as a kid. Also, Spark Mandrill's character design was hilarious in motion.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MokBa posted:

Scavengers Reign is the coolest poo poo I have seen in years. Somehow is living up to and surpassing my high expectations.

Yeah I'm hooked. Things are feeling pretty ominous but I'm sure it will all work out for our Scavengers, right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

AlternateNu posted:

The X episode blew my mind as a kid. Also, Spark Mandrill's character design was hilarious in motion.

Hold up, when did that episode come out? I need to know if it establishes precedent or not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Warbird posted:

Hold up, when did that episode come out? I need to know if it establishes precedent or not.

December 3, 1995

https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Mega_X

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Warbird posted:

Nah. The episode came out a year after the NA release of MMX.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well son of a bitch. Ol’ Ruby Spears best Brazilian Megan to the “X and MM are both hanging out at the same place at the same time” punch by a year or so. Seems wrong somehow.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally caught up on the 3 episode premiere of Scavengers Reign, also totally hooked. It's surprising how much this is my jam. Getting some stylistic influences from Nausicaa and other classics. The little moments with life on the planet are great, the character arcs seem to be good, the 2D animation is great, the vibes of everything is on point.

Definitely not just a trippy experience or whatever, look into it if you're a fan of sci-fi.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Got around to watching Castlevania Nocturne, definitely feels like a step down from the original series, prologue first season notwithstanding.

The animation felt a lot less fluid and the last fight between Richer and Drolta was basically just a flashing of random images at one point.

The writing also felt like a step down and there were so many instances of random vampires popping out of nowhere so they can have a fight scene. It was to the point that I could predict it happening like when Tera and Maria get attacked before Richter shows up. It gave me the impression they didn't trust their dialogue to be able to carry the show at times. And perhaps correctly so. Ellis seems like a shithead but he could write a scene of Isaac just talking to a guy for 10 minutes and let the scene hang on its own. Also a lot of plot beats seem to just happen randomly. See Juste showing up in a random tavern to meet Richter, then random vampires showing up to fight Richter so he can Get His Groove Back, then Alucard at the end.

And lastly, Bathory is just not anywhere near as compelling a villain as Dracula or the Vamp Squad from the first series. Really, I would say this for most of the characters besides maybe Olrox: they are just not as nearly as interesting as the first series. Dracula, Trevor, Sypha, Carmilla, Isaac, Lenore, St. Germaine, Godbrand, there were so many notable characters of various importance.

On the positives, I liked some of the New World stuff with Olrox and Annette. But it felt like a lot of the whole revolution theme was a bit muddled by them trying to do too much given the runtime. Especially with how many random action scenes they would force in as well. I also liked the way they gave each character a different combat identity. Maria sending out random creatures was a nice change from what you usually see.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 22, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jehde posted:

Finally caught up on the 3 episode premiere of Scavengers Reign, also totally hooked. It's surprising how much this is my jam. Getting some stylistic influences from Nausicaa and other classics. The little moments with life on the planet are great, the character arcs seem to be good, the 2D animation is great, the vibes of everything is on point.

Definitely not just a trippy experience or whatever, look into it if you're a fan of sci-fi.

I watched it based on this recommendation, really good.
Although I don't seem to see it being shown in the UK at all?? So I can't really recommend it to anyone here. Really annoying.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Taear posted:

I watched it based on this recommendation, really good.
Although I don't seem to see it being shown in the UK at all?? So I can't really recommend it to anyone here. Really annoying.

More and more things fall into that category for me. Can't watch this legit, or the new season of Lower Decks in NZ.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing I'm learning in my Adventure Time rewatch is that I probably should have done it before Fionna & Cake since there were a ton of little call backs in it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Thing I'm learning in my Adventure Time rewatch is that I probably should have done it before Fionna & Cake since there were a ton of little call backs in it.

What did you notice?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will also chime in that Scavengers reign is extremely my jam with weird alien body horror and mind breaking weirdness, I want nothing bad to happen to Levi and I think the red head guy will probably be one of those "can't do anything without loving up and making it worse for myself and everyone else" type of people the way things are going.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the red head guy will probably be one of those "can't do anything without loving up and making it worse for myself and everyone else" type of people the way things are going.

He sucks and I love it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mutantIke posted:

All my Animation Zoomer friends are talking about this pilot so I decided to give it a watch. Unmistakably amateurish (sort of moves like the Garfield show) but super impressive. Watch it before the mix of high-concept dark comedy, approachable character designs, and Lore turn it into the next Heckin Pibbly Glitch
https://youtu.be/HwAPLk_sQ3w

Yeah I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I’d love to see it turn into something or at least it get picked up. It has a thing I liked about helluva boss and that’s while it’s dark humored, it’s not actually that MEAN. Hell even the eldrich monster keeping them all there doesn’t even appear to be malevolent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Extremely this on the sluggish pacing and having the comic timing just not land.

How many times do we need to just stare into her bug eyes as she stares blankly in horror? It extremely diminishes any of the impact that kind of shot has if you do it every few minutes, especially after everything is so telegraphed.

Yeah, i think there was some genuinely funny bits but a lot of it is jax just being pg13 angel dust and mostly the weirdness of it. But yeah, they kinda rely a little hard on “pomni gets the tarawa/Okinawa marine look” I thought it worked for the pilot and i think the pacing needed to be sped up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think there's a great 18-20 minute show in that pilot thats a little less repetitive and a little more subtle, but I still liked the 25 minute version. It laid on the "not everything is as it seems and this circus is a dark place whooooooo!" stuff a little too thick but I think all of the characters have at least one thing about them that makes me wanna see more of them, even Wish.com Rabbit Angel Dust guy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I liked digital circus but agree on it having some issues. There's some things which worked for a pilot but may not really work for a series. Mostly this revolves around the characters.

Kinger's most notable gag is easily losing track of people, then getting startled and screaming. This will get old approximately 5 seconds into episode 2. Otherwise, he's just some guy who hides in a pillow fort. There was an intimation of backstory though - one of the doors in the living hall had a picture of a queen chess piece.

Zooble is a cool concept and that she detaches into parts has some great opportunities for physical comedy. However, her design has difficulty expressing emotions or even indicating that she's talking. In fact her design seems to have issues literally moving at all. In the escalator scene, she just gets her head carried up.

Jax is slightly too mean, IMO. Knocking over Gangle was a step too far. He looks more like a bully than a cad. Also, this is a minor quibble, but I was bothered by how his mouth was animated. It just kinda gets shoved around and morphs in sometimes weird ways.

Gangle is a doormat that doesn't really do or say anything. And the show already has a doormat in Kinger. Gangle pretty much has two physical comedy jokes and that's it. Gangle has trouble even being seen because of the stringy nature of their body. Kind of a non-entity both physically and in the script - basically operating at replacement level.

Ragatha was fine other than leaning into the 'kinda losing it!' schtick a little too hard - twice in the pilot. Her 'glitched' sequences also dragged, and the visual/audio effect quickly became more kind of annoying than interesting. It's like using glitch text in a story - you do not use it for a whole paragraph because it really doesn't work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MJeff posted:

I think there's a great 18-20 minute show in that pilot thats a little less repetitive and a little more subtle, but I still liked the 25 minute version. It laid on the "not everything is as it seems and this circus is a dark place whooooooo!" stuff a little too thick but I think all of the characters have at least one thing about them that makes me wanna see more of them, even Wish.com Rabbit Angel Dust guy.

as someone who has grown hates Icon horror which is what fnaf/poppys/etc is. i view this is different. its clearly apeing that a bit and will be a through line but to me its kinda what if you took that brain friends sketch from don't hug me and stretched it out for better or worse.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I liked digital circus but agree on it having some issues. There's some things which worked for a pilot but may not really work for a series. Mostly this revolves around the characters.

Kinger's most notable gag is easily losing track of people, then getting startled and screaming. This will get old approximately 5 seconds into episode 2. Otherwise, he's just some guy who hides in a pillow fort. There was an intimation of backstory though - one of the doors in the living hall had a picture of a queen chess piece.

Zooble is a cool concept and that she detaches into parts has some great opportunities for physical comedy. However, her design has difficulty expressing emotions or even indicating that she's talking. In fact her design seems to have issues literally moving at all. In the escalator scene, she just gets her head carried up.

Jax is slightly too mean, IMO. Knocking over Gangle was a step too far. He looks more like a bully than a cad. Also, this is a minor quibble, but I was bothered by how his mouth was animated. It just kinda gets shoved around and morphs in sometimes weird ways.

Gangle is a doormat that doesn't really do or say anything. And the show already has a doormat in Kinger. Gangle pretty much has two physical comedy jokes and that's it. Gangle has trouble even being seen because of the stringy nature of their body. Kind of a non-entity both physically and in the script - basically operating at replacement level.

Ragatha was fine other than leaning into the 'kinda losing it!' schtick a little too hard - twice in the pilot. Her 'glitched' sequences also dragged, and the visual/audio effect quickly became more kind of annoying than interesting. It's like using glitch text in a story - you do not use it for a whole paragraph because it really doesn't work.

yeah the biggest issue is pacing and kinda not finding what it wants to do with its characters but it has enough their to be interesting. to me helluva boss had similar problem in the pilot because it had some good ideas but it didnt execute them well and it took until episode 2 to get interesting. i feel like this will be similar.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I’d love to see it turn into something or at least it get picked up. It has a thing I liked about helluva boss and that’s while it’s dark humored, it’s not actually that MEAN. Hell even the eldrich monster keeping them all there doesn’t even appear to be malevolent.

Yeah, that's something I noticed, but couldn't quantify. So much "dark" animation is like 2000s era internet mean.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I watched The Amazing Digital Circus last night. As a pilot it's good, but it would need adjustments as a series. Jax is too mean which was mentioned above, and I feel it needs to tone down dark undertones.

Also odd to say, but I want a series like this to be short. I feel its purpose can be fulfilled in two seasons, three tops. This could get long in the tooth real fast.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, that's something I noticed, but couldn't quantify. So much "dark" animation is like 2000s era internet mean.

yeah, like all of my favorite new adult animation like smiling friends or helluva boss and this and satina(which is good but very slow production) have dark or hosed up jokes or premises but they arnt MEAN, people are assholes and get in to very angry fights but blitzo doesn't hate anyone. at worst you get jerk offs like jax who are just kinda dicks but have lines to a degree. this poo poo isn't happy tree friends or foamy or whatever. it sorta reminds me of a darker version of homestarrunner humor which is one of the few things thats only gotten better with age.

Waffleopolis posted:

I watched The Amazing Digital Circus last night. As a pilot it's good, but it would need adjustments as a series. Jax is too mean which was mentioned above, and I feel it needs to tone down dark undertones.

Also odd to say, but I want a series like this to be short. I feel its purpose can be fulfilled in two seasons, three tops. This could get long in the tooth real fast.

personally i didnt find it to be that dark. little meaner then expected but not dark.

idk. ties into it but i think alot of indie shows kinda see what happened to the simpsons and are just sticking with limited seasons, helluva boss is only gonna hev 4 seasons i believe.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a term for properties seemingly made for the "Tumblr crowd" to get super invested in and hyper fixate on the characters? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but this really seems like one of those down to screenshots of the creator(s) asking people to not bully other people about "non cannon" shipping and so on.

Of course animation doesn't tend to pay dick in the world of Youtube so more power to them for having plushes and so on ready to sell to those that will dive in deep.

Edit: Speaking of diving in deep, I did see some analysis going around that some of the rabbit guy's body language suggests that his entire demeanor is a coping mechanism and he seems to care a lot more than he lets on. I don't franky care, ha ha funny tooth man.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Is there a term for properties seemingly made for the "Tumblr crowd" to get super invested in and hyper fixate on the characters? I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but this really seems like one of those down to screenshots of the creator(s) asking people to not bully other people about "non cannon" shipping and so on.

Of course animation doesn't tend to pay dick in the world of Youtube so more power to them for having plushes and so on ready to sell to those that will dive in deep.

Edit: Speaking of diving in deep, I did see some analysis going around that some of the rabbit guy's body language suggests that his entire demeanor is a coping mechanism and he seems to care a lot more than he lets on. I don't franky care, ha ha funny tooth man.

i mean that shits obvious to anyone who can read social cues and media that he does care but its all cope. yeah i know vivzipop loving hates tumblr because of the drama and nut job poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think the big issue I had with the pilot is that it kind of feels like the main character loses her mind as soon as she arrives. So you've got this character on the verge of a breakdown the entire time and every scene of her is her panicking and I don't think it really works to have her be like that from the start. I think she needed time to experience the world and then be unable to leave the game before she starts to lose it.

I like this kind of setting where people get stuck in game or movie or computer program or the backrooms or whatever. I love SCPs that do this kind of thing, but I need the main character to not be so immediately crazy

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I dunno if Jax's assholery was meant to be endearing. I mean I certainly didn't see it that way. Everyone there is trying to cope and kind of slowly losing it in their own different ways. I'd kinda like it if they leaned into his meaness more to emphasize that ;no this isn't some cute schtick the dude is genuinely an rear end in a top hat and has almost entirely checked out of caring about anything. I'd like a deconstruction of the lovable jerk trope with him but maybe that's just me. He'd certainly be a good source of conflict in the show anyway. As for Caine I actually sympathize with him the most. Dude's a program being forced to deal with circumstances he was never built for and struggling to cater to his guests needs. But from the looks of it he was designed to be the server host for a children's game and now he has to try and keep a group of adults psychologically healthy while knowing he can't give them the freedom they truly want. The little moments of him going silent and nervously fidgeting tugged on the heart strings a little on my end. If the show does try to make him out to be the villain I'm going to check out as that sounds really boring. But as it stands I think he's actually victim to forces beyond his control and is putting on a brave face and doing the best he can given his situation.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I think the big issue I had with the pilot is that it kind of feels like the main character loses her mind as soon as she arrives. So you've got this character on the verge of a breakdown the entire time and every scene of her is her panicking and I don't think it really works to have her be like that from the start. I think she needed time to experience the world and then be unable to leave the game before she starts to lose it.

I like this kind of setting where people get stuck in game or movie or computer program or the backrooms or whatever. I love SCPs that do this kind of thing, but I need the main character to not be so immediately crazy

Again I kind of wonder if this is going to be deconstruction of her character archetype. Like the new point of view character who needs the world explained to her and thus the audience by extension. But instead of helping the other characters find an exit or giving them hope about their circumstances she just straight up mentally collapses and forces someone else to take on the mantle of looking for an exit. I mean she's not curious about the situation or brave. She's anxious as gently caress, weak willed and obviously kinda selfish. Frankly having her slowly become the most demented of the cast despite having only just arrived appeals to me ngl.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Macaluso posted:

i agree with this! i have nothing else to add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
They should get Jerma to cameo like with that one Starfox show