Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also some fights will actually make your parse worse if you as a group do better (fight timings) look at the top clears on 12Sp2 for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wait holy poo poo can you do this, is speed actually stored clientside or something ffxi style (this is over the line where I'd do it myself but lmao)

I think this is the case for most mmos.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

lines posted:

Got a small question about parses. So the colours are a percentile, right: are they a percentile of cleared parses submitted? If so, does that not create a bias effect statistically, such that it becomes hard to draw any statistically significant conclusion about any individual number? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Correct. They represent a percentile of the public fflogs, and there is definite bias present in them. There is also a lot of luck involved. There may be deaths that were not your fault, but still a death, included on a clear. You're gonna have a grey parse most of the time with a death, but that's your clear. Sometimes life is just like that. Your very best parse may never count because it was a wipe due to other players.

Your party matters quite a bit for some classes. I had insane parses on Aglaia during TPT group runs on dragoon because of how much damage everyone else did under battle litany/left eye.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lines posted:

Got a small question about parses. So the colours are a percentile, right: are they a percentile of cleared parses submitted? If so, does that not create a bias effect statistically, such that it becomes hard to draw any statistically significant conclusion about any individual number? Or am I misunderstanding something?

there's two different metrics that often get conflated re fflogs/parsing

rankings are evaluated based on everyone's best scores on a particular fight

parses are evaluated by comparing all clear logs for a fight submitted in a window against each other

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the servers not validating your exact position or speed may allow for speedhacking and bots clipping through the floor, but it also allows us innocent players to do things like exploit how triggering ng+ works to clip up to the roof of the carmine canopy (before the fixed it...). so, you know... you take the good, you take the bad.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had insane parses on Aglaia during TPT group runs on dragoon because of how much damage everyone else did under battle litany/left eye.
Alliance raid parses on FF Logs go by the raw DPS number rather than rDPS. Yes, that does mean you can game the system with giving Dance Partner + Dragoon eye + Astro cards to one person. I've done parties with friends where we buffed up someone to juice their parses; one time we got an Astrologian to two gold parses in Aglaia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

iPodschun posted:

Alliance raid parses on FF Logs go by the raw DPS number rather than rDPS. Yes, that does mean you can game the system with giving Dance Partner + Dragoon eye + Astro cards to one person. I've done parties with friends where we buffed up someone to juice their parses; one time we got an Astrologian to two gold parses in Aglaia.

However it worked I got a gold and a pink so I'm not complaining.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Frida Call Me posted:

...notably the plugin "Yes Already" which removes some of the absurd tedium of having to confirm every possible action in FFXIV's godawful UI is part of that third party repository, and it's probably my favorite plugin in the entire game.

Oh wow, the muscle memory of confirming is so engrained in me this mod would make me make horrible mistakes I think. Sounds awesome though!

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I'm still new to Savage raids but I don't see why I would care how other people are parsing. I parse so I can see if I'm improving week-to-week and I mostly just look at my rDPS and XIVAnalysis but I've got a P9S clear with 8 grays in it and a clear is a clear. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It matters more at the start of a tier when crap like that is the difference between enrage or not.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Fair. PF prog parties seem to have a lot more trouble getting to enrage than clearing in my experience. I've only had a couple parties that couldn't push past enrage after seeing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generally any party that can reach enrage can probably clear, especially recently where enrages have become more and more generous. It's why risky strats are never worth it in PF.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Generally any party that can reach enrage can probably clear, especially recently where enrages have become more and more generous. It's why risky strats are never worth it in PF.

Remembering the dude who suggested a loving tank uptime strat in one of my PF groups for Golbex double meteors

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Oneiros posted:

there's two different metrics that often get conflated re fflogs/parsing

rankings are evaluated based on everyone's best scores on a particular fight

parses are evaluated by comparing all clear logs for a fight submitted in a window against each other

fflogs makes this extra confusing.

- If you look at the Rankings tab, it'll default to the ranking which is how you are ranked against the top performances anyone has ever logged for that patch. You can swap to parse view to compare against all logs in the last two weeks.
- If you look at a the Analyze > Damage Done tab, it'll have a parse% column. This shows the parse value when first uploaded, I think. After a few minutes the fight gets verified, and this will switch to ranking.
- If you look at a character, it will show the top ranking they've ever achieved, the median rank they've gotten on the fight, and the all star points which is a combined value from 0 through 120 that is derived from ranking and your DPS proportional to the max DPS value ever logged on your job.

Plus the 4 different DPS categories. It's not easy to, uh, parse.

The ranking is what is generally meant when people refer to parse values. Ranking gets progressively more difficult as a patch goes on, as your performance is matched against the max value from an ever-larger number of attempts from everyone else. I'm not sure I'd call that bias, exactly, but it's something to be aware of.

E: Basically you're right in that the fflogs numbers are not -- and don't claim to be -- unbiased estimators of your ranking compared to all clears. I guesstimate that a 50 parse is something like the top 10%-20% of global clears at the end of a tier.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 23, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/saltska/status/1716359462410150044?t=1we-I03PItzQhBvn8PDAbw&s=19

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh wow, the muscle memory of confirming is so engrained in me this mod would make me make horrible mistakes I think. Sounds awesome though!

and this is just page one , you can see my scroll bar there. it even takes regex so I have, for instance, /Trade .* sheaves of field notes on .*/, to trade in all those Field Notes on Daguza for lockboxes when I'm done Bozja grinding. It's absolutely loving fantastic.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Anyone who can prog and clear savage tiers in PF is on a completely other level. Waiting forever for parties to fill only to have them disband after 20 minutes because we haven’t gotten to our listed prog point is a huge waste of my time, especially now that I have to be on Aether for it.

My static tripped at the finish line of p12s and disbanded a week before patch day when we were at Caloric 2, and it took me several full days of back-to-back PFing until i found a group that could actually clear the fight.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It absolutely is amazing. It's one of my most missed QOL plugins when there's an update.

Another favorite is Orchestrion. You can configure it to show the title of the currently playing music track beside the part of the HUD that shows the clock. You can also use it to bring up a list of every track in the game, and make your own playlist. And finally, you can use it to change what track plays in an area. For example, I have it set to not play any music when I'm in the Hall Of Flames in Ul'dah, but I could set it to play, say, Behind Closed Doors, the song that usually plays when your in your Inn Room.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i can’t play the game without Penny Pincher

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joe Chip posted:

I'm still new to Savage raids but I don't see why I would care how other people are parsing. I parse so I can see if I'm improving week-to-week and I mostly just look at my rDPS and XIVAnalysis but I've got a P9S clear with 8 grays in it and a clear is a clear. :shrug:

You really can’t see why someone would care about someone else’s dps in content with a timed wipe

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Parsing lets you fix low hanging fruit in terms of rotation and general class awareness but there's a lot of caveats to be aware of with a grey or low green parse. If a parse is low with no deaths, a good kill time (right after a 2 minute window, not before), and the person isn't severely undergeared, then that's a sign there's probably something fundamentally wrong with the rotation and something that can be fixed pretty easily to improve. But any of those exceptions occurring above can torpedo a parse ranking extremely easily. Gear especially at the moment because the scaling is really starting to kick in for this expansion and people getting upgraders from sources outside of Savage.

Parsing is also probably the only way an AST can accurately figure out who to dump cards into mid-fight or how to prioritize their re-draws, but I think that's a flaw with the job in general and not parsing's fault.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

You really can’t see why someone would care about someone else’s dps in content with a timed wipe

Of course I can if we're hitting enrage multiple times but that's been the exception for me. I'm sure week 1 it's an issue but my point was that if we clear I don't care.

ETA: My opinion is also biased since I've never been in a static so I take what I can get in PF.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 23, 2023

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
The most common reason to look at other's parses is because you want everyone to be carrying their weight. This is perfectly alright in my opinion - BUT should be clearly mentioned when setting up a static, and be agreed upon by everyone.

A slightly less common reason is to improve yourself by comparing similar fight better parses.

Both are valid reasons in my opinion.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kheldarn posted:

It absolutely is amazing. It's one of my most missed QOL plugins when there's an update.

Another favorite is Orchestrion. You can configure it to show the title of the currently playing music track beside the part of the HUD that shows the clock. You can also use it to bring up a list of every track in the game, and make your own playlist. And finally, you can use it to change what track plays in an area. For example, I have it set to not play any music when I'm in the Hall Of Flames in Ul'dah, but I could set it to play, say, Behind Closed Doors, the song that usually plays when your in your Inn Room.

Hell yeah, I also used orchestrion to swap the maelstrom command with it's intensely irritating horn opening to just be the generic limsa night theme. Every time I wandered past there and got those garbage horns I was so annoyed.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i usually can't be arsed to look at other people's parses because that takes more effort than simply not giving a gently caress, but once every so often you get a weird in a roulette who insists on keeping medica 2 up at all times and when you ask them why they insist they're a big-time savage raider, so you look up their parses, they don't even have any logged clears of any third fight in a tier and you have a good chuckle.

for that reason alone im glad parses exist

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

actual dps issues are pretty rare in high-end content in my experience. the struggle tends to be reaching enrage at all or without too many deaths

on the other hand there was my singularity reactor unreal last night where even on some pretty clean pulls we were running into enrage. turns out the dragoon was wearing cryptlurker gear and doing less damage than the tanks/healers even without rez weakness getting involved

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One one hand, it's funny when people set unreal groups' ilvl to like 640+.

On the other hand, it's funny when people slide in below the minimum 560.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like being in a group that doesn't require me to get good parses. that poo poo is very stressful for me and i would feel like i'm letting the party down.

i don't mind being in a group that misses raid nights sometimes. nothing feels better to me than plans getting cancelled. i love that poo poo. free time is best time.

we may not be the fastest to get the clear but i know we'll get there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My static is mostly a bunch of grey parse heroes, but this late in the tier it's not like it matters. Don't die, we clear.

Getting too many nights cancelled would drive me up the wall though. All I really care about is people show up, and show up on time.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 23, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

i usually can't be arsed to look at other people's parses because that takes more effort than simply not giving a gently caress, but once every so often you get a weird in a roulette who insists on keeping medica 2 up at all times and when you ask them why they insist they're a big-time savage raider, so you look up their parses, they don't even have any logged clears of any third fight in a tier and you have a good chuckle.

for that reason alone im glad parses exist

i haven't had any genuinely awful players in roulettes in quite some time, but i did have an amusingly weird encounter with a tank in the latest dungeon who was playing on a laptop from 2017 that i have to imagine was glowing red hot and shooting cartoon steam everywhere, because he was unable to hold aggro on some of the largest pulls due to his computer straight up not having enough memory or disc speed to load them in

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It matters more at the start of a tier when crap like that is the difference between enrage or not.

at the same time it matters kind of less. i remember on eden release, i got a gray on a first week leviathan, but the difference between that gray and the then-current 100 was like literally 50 dps. parses are WEIRD early but smooth out quickly, though they also stay kind of weird at the higher end where xivanalysis just tells you "idk crit more"

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 23, 2023

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It can be interesting to find that in a party where most players are getting blue or purple parses, one person is grey (and they didn't die). But at this point in the patch cycle you could have a bunch of greys and one or two greens and still beat the enrages. At that point parsing is helpful for personal improvement and not much else aside from dick waving.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thundarr posted:

It can be interesting to find that in a party where most players are getting blue or purple parses, one person is grey (and they didn't die). But at this point in the patch cycle you could have a bunch of greys and one or two greens and still beat the enrages. At that point parsing is helpful for personal improvement and not much else aside from dick waving.

We beat P12S P1 for the first time yesterday with this:

Everyone but the tanks was dead for the last ~30 seconds and it was one of those "last millisecond before the enrage" kills

I'm the Sage :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

still proud of my first p4s door clear being ranked #1

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Thundarr posted:

Logging is useful for figuring out the most common death points and how to better structure mitigation, for figuring out what killed someone when they're unsure what happened, for measuring exact enemy ability timings, for replaying entire fights to see if there's some structural problem with how you're doing a mechanic and who took which debuffs, for seeing how successful groups time their raid buffs, etc.

The community and the site itself is just depressingly focused on the little ranking number on clear pulls, instead of all the actual useful bits in progression ... and I say that as someone who in fact does enjoy trying to get a higher number.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tamba posted:

We beat P12S P1 for the first time yesterday with this:

Everyone but the tanks was dead for the last ~30 seconds and it was one of those "last millisecond before the enrage" kills

I'm the Sage :v:

Nice!

Healer parses are fun that way. Nearly every static I've ever been in has had one or both healers pulling gold parses while the rest of us were stumbling into low blues.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It begins...

Dawntrail has been added to the SqueexStore. You can't order anything, but you can wishlist it...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I will say, I check fflogs every so often because I like seeing how horribly I play BLM on first day of 24 mans. Someone's always bound to be logging.

Always grays of course, but one time I hit green on DNC :shobon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Parses are literally percentile based. This means they all depend on the data that gets uploaded so if you had a hundred parses whose dpses from best to worst had differences in the single digits and every piece of data was representative of near-flawless play and optimization, the "worst" player, whose rdps was, let's say, 14376, when the best had an rdps of 14385, would still be grey. Meanwhile in this situation a person with say, an rdps of 14383 might be purple.

Basically, a static that only accepts purple parses or higher is a static that only accepts players markedly better than the average in a self-selecting population of people already willing to engage with harder content.

This is also why looking at parse colors before there's a large enough sample size to glean a useful conclusion is meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This is why the most meaningless metric in a sea of meaningless metric are ultimate parses. Savage parses already pretty meaningless apart from personal development but anyone that seriously looks at ultimate parses as any sort of valuable metric is a loving idiot.