Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FutonForensic posted:

My favorite Manhunter scenes are
1. Will talking about his mental health in the grocery store
2. The analysis of the toilet paper note. I really felt every person involved in the procedure was an expert in their respective field, and also that they were deeply miserable from their work

Yeah both of these were excellent, and I remember thinking during the lab scene that it was "police procedural forensics" but not in the shiny, overly-dramatized / narrated, decades-ahead-of-current-tech way, it felt more real too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That is honestly one of the most stylish moves in all of film. It made me want a 1911 but the Canadian handgun freeze drove the prices above $2000 during the final round of imports, and they're maintenance queens.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I want to watch some manhunter clips but it's so hard to find them online and all you get is red dragon poo poo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Manhunter is my favorite movie and they better loving hurry up on that 4k release.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Earwicker posted:

when is the last time someone made a crime thriller as good as Heat or Collateral?

most recent one i watched was The Drop with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. it was enjoyable but also a very small scale movie, no big set piece action scenes or anything. and also its from like 2014

It's a bit lighter but I really liked Logan Lucky. It was far better than I expected it to be.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Earwicker posted:

when is the last time someone made a crime thriller as good as Heat or Collateral?

most recent one i watched was The Drop with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini. it was enjoyable but also a very small scale movie, no big set piece action scenes or anything. and also its from like 2014
The Town comes close, but it explicitly admits what it’s imitating and John Hamm’s character kinda drags it down. It was the first movie I saw in UltraAVX and the sound mix was excellent, down to having the right report and echo for different firearms.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I never knew I needed a rare piece of irregular cut wax single so bad

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Saganlives posted:

My friends and I watched Thief a couple days ago, and whoa. I mostly agree with your analysis, though I would personally frame it more as a working class professional struggling against a system that wants to exploit his labor. Your character analysis is really spot on, too.

I felt like Mann's fingerprints were all over this movie in ways that weren't as thickly applied in his later films, but really made this one pop visually. This scene in particular really grabbed me:
The way the foreground pavement is wet but solid, the middle ground is the river, and the background is this wall of city and its all color graded so the lights are this cool teal. For real, after enjoying so many Mann movies with their lack of compromise for actual dark or nighttime shots I get very annoyed by anything today that is shot day-for-night.

Contrast that with the incredibly bright and chaotic safe cracking scene:

No music with that scene, just the loud hiss of the thermal lance melting the safe door. I was incredibly impressed with both safe cracking scenes, actually. There's no substitute for watching it actually happen without faking it via effects.

The real bow on this film though is the ending. My friends and I were hooting and hollering when Frank gets away alive at the end. Made even more beautiful by the fact that it's only possible because he burned his old life to the ground, thus paying the price for his vengeance upfront rather than in blood at the end. Just loving chef's kiss. As a final thought, I leave you with a gif the reload. Maybe not as good as Val in Heat, but dripping with cool.

Thief is so goddamn good. How did he come out the gate that strong?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

MrQwerty posted:

I never knew I needed a rare piece of irregular cut wax single so bad

I found it at an antique shop and I had to choose between this and the theme to mad max 3 shaped like Tina Turner

I still feel confident that I made the right choice

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Shumagorath posted:

That is honestly one of the most stylish moves in all of film. It made me want a 1911 but the Canadian handgun freeze drove the prices above $2000 during the final round of imports, and they're maintenance queens.

lmao

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Manhunter is my favorite movie and they better loving hurry up on that 4k release.

Manhunter is great. It, Thief, and The Keep seem like Mann taking his first steps to work out a philosophy on professionalism that would carry forward into all of his movies. In Thief, Frank is superficially a consummate professional, but his professionalism is a shell hiding a broken person who can’t engage naturally with other human animals and, as a result he’s a danger to the order of things when pushed to move outside his routine. In The Keep, Glaeken is like the ultimate professional who can kill demons and bang the trauma out of a lady, but he seems more like a holy instrument, devoid of emotions and attachments, than a man. It was almost like Mann was saying “only angels can be healthy beings entirely focused performing specific tasks perfectly, because they were made that way; the rest of us become weird, sad, and dangerous when we make the attempt.”

But in Manhunter William Graham is like the exact opposite of a professional. He transcends the capabilities of professionals by having no barriers between himself and others, so that he intuitively understands human motive. He’s not professional enough to survive long in the world as it is. Everyone around him is miserable but they maintain a professional barrier to keep themselves from completely losing it. Will doesn’t and is always juuuuuust about to completely lose it as a result, but by giving of himself he keeps us safe. If a professional is man destroying himself by pretending to be an angel, Will is a man destroying himself trying to be a messiah.

It’s a pessimistic, but deeply sympathetic, look at being alive. Mann never presents us with a balanced way to exist, just points out that the world is hostile and all our strategies for surviving us have a deeply existential personal and interpersonal cost that must be paid to execute them effectively. I feel like other directors that picked up on the idea of the self sacrificing pro who can’t have a normal life, or the psychopath opining to the hero that they’re not so different kinda missed the nuanced, sorrowful point Mann was trying to make. We weren’t made to thrive in this world. It demands too much and is destroying us. How do we cope? Can we save ourselves without destroying our essential self in the process? Is there anything beyond us that can save us from this?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That was a great writeup, and several words into it I realized I have not seen The Keep

so I'm gonna fix that pronto

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

That was a great writeup, and several words into it I realized I have not seen The Keep

so I'm gonna fix that pronto

It’s not a great movie, but it is interesting. Apparently his dp died after principal photography, and you can kinda tell what is and isn’t a reshoot because lighting is really inconsistent. It was also supposed to be something like 4 hours long and he had to hack it to bits. Ian McKellen wears bizarre old man makeup for most of the movie, and once fully formed the demon looks kinda like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger villain. There are some absolutely gorgeous scenes though (I love that checkpoint in the woods, goddamn), the soundtrack is great, and overall if you like cinematic fiascos you’ll get something out of it.

If you believe Tarantino it was the thing that drove Mann away from film and into arms of tv for a few years. I dunno if Miami Vice would have been a thing if he hadn’t whiffed it so hard his second time at bat, which means The Keep is indirectly responsible for a lot of popular American aesthetic developments in the 80s and early 90s.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm literally watching Manhunter again right now because of this thread and man..the scene where Dollarhyde has the date and they go see the tiger and he has the brief moment of... Happiness? Humanity? Just wonderful

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

when i was a kid i just assumed nash bridges was a spinoff of miami vice and it's still my headcanon

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This thread should be retitled Mannhunter.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Im watching manhunter right now and it kicks rear end

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Earwicker posted:

Shumagorath posted:

The Town comes close, but it explicitly admits what it’s imitating and John Hamm’s character kinda drags it down. It was the first movie I saw in UltraAVX and the sound mix was excellent, down to having the right report and echo for different firearms.

i liked the town but i'm not fussy about movies. Hell Or High Water. No Country For Old Men. Seasons 1-3 of Fargo. Season 2 of True Detective (fight me)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Small Strange Bird posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cactus Ghost posted:

i liked the town but i'm not fussy about movies. Hell Or High Water. No Country For Old Men. Seasons 1-3 of Fargo. Season 2 of True Detective (fight me)

Man you really lost the thread at the end there

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I haven’t seen season 2, but how do you make that list without season 1? Truly phenomenal TV; my only criticism is that you might mistake Harrelson’s character for his own Mary Sue based on the quality of his side-action.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 22, 2023

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Riders of Justice is a Danish crime film and it rules.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:hmmyes:

Cactus Ghost posted:

:allears: I wanna hear about how you like season 2 of True Detective

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Maybe he loves vince vaughn comedies

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

i'm not fussy about movies, i just like (some of the best movies and tv shows ever made)

except s2 of td lol that sucked rear end

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just read the book that Thief is officially based on, The Home Invaders Confessions of a Cat Burglar by Frank Hohimer. Like too goddamn many books these days it’s out of print and hundreds used but is on archive.org.

It’s really interesting, a well above average 70’s crime confessional from a home invader burglar that evolved into a mafia-run jewel thief. Most direct pull in the movie is that he got into the game being mentored while in jail for a crime he didn’t commit by father figure Oklahoma. Rest differs in all detail but not theme; mafia told him where the scores were, he robbed people and was and paid a fraction and not allowed to say no. Eventually of course he ran afoul of the intertwined Chicago mobs and police and only “got out” because he made sure to be arrested by the DOJ, specifically NOT the FBI.

One of the more interesting things about the book is that it’s also a how-to manual on doing break-ins, covering a LOT of detail, I can see why it appealed to Mann specifically. Googling around it’s noted that EAR and some other difficult to catch burglar/rapists started after this book was published and used the techniques in the book; no clear link but interesting.

I also understand why Mann kinda separated himself from the book, even when he tries to exonerate himself in his own book Hohimer is clearly not a nice man. I’ve read a lot of books in this genre and he hits the depressingly common beats; lots of rapists around but not me, it’s unprofessional, I was only a pimp for a little while, I never beat anybody when I woke them up with a gun to their head and demanded their cash and jewelry. He was also probably involved with a rather famous nasty murder of a girl during a burglary. Good choice to change the heist targets to businesses.

Also a really interesting passage in the intro, by a goddamn DOJ lifer:

quote:

Later I learned that the FBI’s failure to provide important information is often by no means accidental. The FBI files are replete with information about organized crime that is never communicated to anyone outside the agency, not even to the United States Attorney and the Justice Department. In fact, it is not unusual for a federal prosecutor to prepare a case for indictment only to be told by the FBI that the proposed defendant is a valued informant and must therefore not be brought to trial.
Indeed, despite propaganda to the contrary, the FBI is not in the main a law enforcement agency at all, but rather a highly sophisticated and well insulated government spy ring. For the most part it gathers information for the sake of information, and prosecutions can upset the network of informants which provides that information. This is especially true of the section of the FBI that investigates organized crime.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes:

:allears: I wanna hear about how you like season 2 of True Detective

Or S3 of Fargo, 1 & 2 were great but 3 felt like a faceplant although 4 was worse, but at least had the covid impact on production excuse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Remulak posted:

Also a really interesting passage in the intro, by a goddamn DOJ lifer:

Everything was really interesting except this endcap which seems like common knowledge at this juncture lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Or S3 of Fargo, 1 & 2 were great but 3 felt like a faceplant although 4 was worse, but at least had the covid impact on production excuse.

Season 3 owned and it's not even on the same level as four, covid or not.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thathonkey posted:

i'm not fussy about movies, i just like (some of the best movies and tv shows ever made)

except s2 of td lol that sucked rear end

the question was if anyone had made as good of a crime thriller as heat or collateral and i listed some stuff i like as much as those

as for why i didnt list s1 its cause i haven't seen it. i dont doubt its good, i just never made it past e1 in multiple tries because cohle's monologues consistently trigger my depression lol

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cactus Ghost posted:

i just never made it past e1 in multiple tries because cohle's monologues consistently trigger my depression lol
Oh yeah, that's uh, not a problem that will improve with subsequent episodes. It's a shame though, because it's incredible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

I ran this and Silence of the Lambs last night as a "more suspense than horror but I will take any excuse to run Manhunter" double feature

One thing that absolutely caught me was the way the bathroom was lit, early on. I feel like any other director, especially if done in the eras following this, would have drastically over-lit this scene to emphasize the pure white and the gold accents. To beat us over the head with what we're supposed to take from the scene.

Instead, look at this poo poo:

:nws: (blood everywhere)

Just look at how well lit that entire room is, but the bathroom lighting is so evocative. It's so real. There are products out, some which are obviously being used, all generally well ordered. That is what a bathroom at night at a crime scene at an upper class home would look like, I assume.

You’re right! If it had been shot with any flashy editing, lighting, or special effects it would have lost so much impact. Instead it looks both real and completely surreal, like the murder was a magic ritual that tore a bloody hole in the fabric of domestic order itself. Almost makes me wonder if we’re seeing it how Will is seeing it, and Will is seeing it how the killer is seeing it.

I also noticed he did a mirror trick in the bathroom, where the protagonist is filmed walking by multiple panes arranged at angles so that it looks like he’s going in many directions at once. I can’t recall if he did it in the other movies I’ve seen so far, but I can remember it being used at least once early on during season one of Miami Vice in a similar situation, ie the hero is confused and overwhelmed by the situation he finds himself in. Even if I’m wrong about why he’s doing it it’s a neat visual flourish!

Slugworth posted:

Oh yeah, that's uh, not a problem that will improve with subsequent episodes. It's a shame though, because it's incredible.

That scene set to A History of Bad Men was worth price of admission alone.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Season 3 owned and it's not even on the same level as four, covid or not.

Thewlis was so good in that season.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mysterious frankie posted:

That scene set to A History of Bad Men was worth price of admission alone.

I saw Melvins a couple weeks ago and Dale is out recuperating from surgery.

Coady sure did play that song and it was great.

also,

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MrQwerty posted:

Coady...was great.
Agreed - every time I see the Melvins I'm amazed at how well one drummer pulls off those two-drummer songs. And I've seem both of them now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cactus Ghost posted:

I recently gave TD season 2 another shot and loved it. Vaughn trying and failing to be a mob guy was fun, and drunken Colin Ferrell is always awesome.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Remulak posted:

Agreed - every time I see the Melvins I'm amazed at how well one drummer pulls off those two-drummer songs. And I've seem both of them now.

I saw them touring as a four piece a long time ago and it was sick as gently caress. Coady is next-level, though, I was glad that he became the permanent replacement of Des in HoF cuz I don't think a whole lot of other people can really pull what Des did off.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Watched Thief from thread’s recommendation (it’s on Paramount+), that was excellent & Caan’s character was fascinating. I liked how he was consistently thuggish & aggressive while capable of being methodical & professional on jobs, but he didn’t know when to turn it off (he may not even been capable of doing so) in situations where it may not be the best idea, comically at the adoption office, but then threatening a crime boss & banishing his wife could probably have been approached differently.

Interesting to see James Belushi in a non-wacky role & he was fine, did have a question about the ending. why did Caan blow up his house & businesses? Was it to symbolize he was abandoning his dreams to be more than his mentor & resigning himself to always being a thief with no connections? I was confused as Leo didn’t want those places or even mention them & Caan wasn’t faking his family’s deaths, felt like an unnecessary act & likely to injure himself before a risky one man attack.

I liked when he was storming Leo’s house and was spotted by his wife, who looks scared but has been probably expecting such a thing so she just turns back to the tv and lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched Thief from thread’s recommendation (it’s on Paramount+), that was excellent & Caan’s character was fascinating. I liked how he was consistently thuggish & aggressive while capable of being methodical & professional on jobs, but he didn’t know when to turn it off (he may not even been capable of doing so) in situations where it may not be the best idea, comically at the adoption office, but then threatening a crime boss & banishing his wife could probably have been approached differently.

Interesting to see James Belushi in a non-wacky role & he was fine, did have a question about the ending. why did Caan blow up his house & businesses? Was it to symbolize he was abandoning his dreams to be more than his mentor & resigning himself to always being a thief with no connections? I was confused as Leo didn’t want those places or even mention them & Caan wasn’t faking his family’s deaths, felt like an unnecessary act & likely to injure himself before a risky one man attack.

I liked when he was storming Leo’s house and was spotted by his wife, who looks scared but has been probably expecting such a thing so she just turns back to the tv and lives.

Read Remulak's post just a bit upthread

ugly business doing ugly things and justifying them to yourself

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 23, 2023