Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

sleepy gary posted:

I think I've played this doom .wad

THAT'S why it felt so familiar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lol saw the photo of the stairs and was thinking it was a little sus, wasn't expecting a whole zig zaggy bridge of death.

The more you look at it, the more stuff you notice. It's got to be intentional right? Were they expecting people to storm their house and they wanted natural defensible places or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bridge of hazard-room

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

You all scoff, but what you see there represents the pinnacle of high-end residential design on the N64

there's even spots where Link can jump directly down to the ground floor after he's done smashing your pots and smacking your Cuccos

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OwlFancier posted:

The bridge of hazard-room

Tolkien gives a sensible chuckle from beyond the grave

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's def the last level of a max payne game

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

The carpet pattern across the entire house is atrocious. Also the kitchen island being low enough for a person to fully sit on when it's only made of wood has me surprised it hasn't already snapped in half.

e: Groverhaus window!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

That's def the last level of a max payne game

Halfway through a Sierra Quest game, saving every couple of steps

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This one is cheating because it's a combo retail / workshop / residential thing that needs major work, but I'm still going to post a couple of pics, including:

Basement bedroom, I guess?

Mojo dojo casa house:

That said: if I were younger and single... and willing to put in another six figures into it :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also, you can think to yourself "at least the living room had a sweet set of columns" as you plunge downward to your death

That handrail-less staircase would be so illegal in the US. Aren't there building inspections after remodeling in the UK?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Also the kitchen island being low enough for a person to fully sit on when it's only made of wood has me surprised it hasn't already snapped in half.

We sure that's not a baby-changing station?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/status/1709267206448521565
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/140675273

I like the opposing view, showing how the upstairs attempts to trick you into a false sense of security:

I only just saw this on a proper screen and realised that there's unguarded holes on BOTH sides !?!

edit: ok, this has to be an elaborate set-up for a murder - if you fall down the stairside hole, you crack your head on the stair edges, if you fall down the other side, you land on loving tiles - the only tiled area in the hall..

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Oct 4, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That handrail-less staircase would be so illegal in the US. Aren't there building inspections after remodeling in the UK?

Only if you're doing structural work as far as I'm aware and even then you would probably only bother if it's visible from the outside. If you cut your own bannister off who can stop you?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Why is no asking the BIG question:

Why is there a couch is the God-damned kitchen?!

Trabant posted:

Basement bedroom, I guess?

Someone post that 15+ year old crawl-space Goonlair pic of the multiple PCs and like 8 CRT monitors hanging from the floor joists.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Oct 4, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah posted:

I only just saw this on a proper screen and realised that there's unguarded holes on BOTH sides !?!

Best not strafe too far left or right as you're pushing forwards!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not really. In theory there's a long lost of specific changes that require you to notify the local authority or a regulator, like any significant new electrical, gas or plumbing installations, or anything load bearing, or anything that changes the windows or converts a garage or a loft or splitting or combining units. In practice, since it's self reported, your average homeowner and dodgy builder will probably never bother to do so and the local authority is probably too cash strapped to pay attention, and even if it is notified a lot of it is self certifiable by the contractor, and audits of that is very rare.

If its not a major project and you're not drawing attention for some other reasons like noise complaints or someone getting hurt, you can probably just get away with doing whatever.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's not that weird. I lived in a house once that had the kitchen next to the living room with a similar setup. Like, the counters of the kitchen made a U shape and there was a couch against the far wall. So kind of like U |. If we had friends over and we were making food there could be two or three people in the kitchen doing stuff and another two or three people on the couch. Everyone could chat and it was a pretty chill setup

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

Best not strafe too far left or right as you're pushing forwards!

Bet the window opens and blasts you with wind when you try to cross

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looks like it’s up against a wall, and there’s already a breakfast nook.

So I’m gonna go with “there’s nothing else worth putting in that space”.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

DrBouvenstein posted:

I admit it looks silly but at, like, 95% of house parties I've been to people end up hanging out in the kitchen for the entire night, leaning on counters and walls, so if you have the room to spare I think it's a great idea!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People can never avoid the kitchen, which is why you should never have food or drinks in the kitchen at a party. They should always be located in a room that has seating, so that people refill on food or drinks, then sit down in there, rather than standing around in the kitchen.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
When I entertain I simply adjourn to the butler's pantry to finish preparing crudité and hors d'oeuvres, while my guests arrive via the carriage house. The butler's pantry is the only room on the main floor of the public wing without parquet flooring, so the guests know not to enter on their way to the summer ballroom

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I put all the food and drink in the bathroom, so guest can lose some liquid than gain some liquid. It's all about keeping the amount of liquids in the guest in perfect balance and that helps.

If the guest humors mis-align than oh boy, that's gonna be all sorts of trouble!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

binge crotching posted:

Perfect username for the bidet on the other side of the bathroom, because after nandos you walk your drippy rear end across the bathroom carpet to go wash it. Or more likely, just spray your rear end in the tub that's right there.

From the other side you can see there isn't even a tp option, it's bidet or nothing

How many beams did they notch??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

How many beams did they notch??

I suspect they didn't and it's why it's raised off the floor...

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

When I entertain I simply adjourn to the butler's pantry to finish preparing crudité and hors d'oeuvres, while my guests arrive via the carriage house. The butler's pantry is the only room on the main floor of the public wing without parquet flooring, so the guests know not to enter on their way to the summer ballroom

lol

also as someone with a fear of heights, that guard rail free sky hallway is terrifying

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

binge crotching posted:

Perfect username for the bidet on the other side of the bathroom...
:hmmyes:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you drink canned alcoholic beverages in a bathroom that is equipped with a shower bath, you and your guests can throw your empties into said shower bath, which is a lot of fun and makes lots of noise, and makes post-party cleanup a cinch!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trabant posted:

Mojo dojo casa house:

That said: if I were younger and single... and willing to put in another six figures into it :v:

You know you can put a rad mural in any house. Walls don't need to be boring.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Some bits from my image folders:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't help but see this one as the door on the right turning to have a worried look at the door on the left :ohdear:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Man I hate dream stages in 3D perspective games.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The grey door isn't bad or weird. It is magnificent, and I love the idea that every day somebody drives or walks past it and gets a little question mark over their head.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

901 N Alfred St, Alexandria, VA 22314

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

And livin' in the bell tower like that, they got a lot of room downstairs where the pews used to be in.
Havin' all that room,
Seein' as how they took out all the pews,
They decided that they didn't have to take out their garbage for a long time.

Admittedly that's a pretty sad little bell tower.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The grey door isn't bad or weird..
No it looks pretty bad next to a paint-splattered window and lovely looking conduit lines. Also I’m going to doubt that it seals very well.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No it looks pretty bad next to a paint-splattered window and lovely looking conduit lines. Also I’m going to doubt that it seals very well.

That's a normal window reflecting trees?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like this one. It feels like it would discourage burglars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grovercastle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too am a Tilted Grey Door defender. I love that. It's the fun part of postmodernist architecture without all the baggage.