Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DelilahFlowers posted:

Is using rhe term "genetics" okay for you?

Let me rephrase: your belief in sorting people into tribes based on their genetics, as if it will help solve or explain anything discussed in this thread, is stupid and racist.

If you're going to talk about how tribalism plays into this conflict, you have to deal with the tribes that actually exist in the cultures of the people involved. There is no value at all in discussing the tribes that your racism tells you *should* exist based on the genetics of the people involved.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

PT6A posted:

Well, it's Zionist tradition to take people's poo poo, and Palestinian tradition to launch rockets. I mean, I just don't see how you resolve these fundamental cultural conflicts!

I feel like a lot of people ITT would have been arguing in favour of South African Apartheid, on the basis that there's just no other way it could possibly work. It's a very small-minded way of looking at things, by which I don't mean "stupid," but just reflective of a worldview which is ignorant and closed to possibility. I don't think it's morally "evil" or anything, because I think it's done without intent; it's just sad to see.

I mean people did defend it on that basis. There was definitely an element of it having gone on for so long and oppressed black people so bad, that ended it would result in white's being killed for revenge. Similar argument gets made in the I/P situation.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Let me rephrase: your belief in sorting people into tribes based on their genetics, as if it will help solve or explain anything discussed in this thread, is stupid and racist.

If you're going to talk about how tribalism plays into this conflict, you have to deal with the "tribes" that actually exist, not the ones that your racism tells you *should* exist based on the genetics of the people involved.

Racism is when you state that the favored group of an ethnonationalist state is closely related to the group they are genociding.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Pvt. Parts posted:

These are maybe among the least generous readings of my post imaginable. I was replying to a poster who suggested the rockets are being fired from Hamas for good reason: resistance against an oppressor which aims to eliminate them. I granted them these terms despite not being fully on board (oppression I can broadly agree with, elimination is harder) and extended the discussion thusly: if I do X because you did Y, and you in turn do Z because I did X, at some point "we", on both sides, may lose ourselves in cultural tit-for-tat accounting. I don't think this is unreasonable, and I certainly don't think it's racist.

Granted, I spoke only of the Palestinian shows of force (Qassam rockets), and not the Israeli, but that's because that was the topic at hand. Israelis are not immune to this, nor is anyone gripped in the seductions of tribal thinking. I was using the greetings as an example of the arbitrariness and ethereal-like nature of many cultural/tribal customs, not as some racist damnation. Violence and distrust for the other aren't a part of Palestinian nature, they're a part of human nature.

Sometimes we use abstractions to speak of other things disconnected from their literal meaning. Abstract thinking/reasoning it's called. Many Arabs, even the ones not getting bombed by Israelis, hate Jews (and maybe especially Israelis). So if you think that hatred for Jews/Israelis contains no cultural arbitrariness across the Arab world (including Palestine), you're probably wrong.

1. The person you were replying to didn't say the rockets being fired was "good" they said they were drastic measures.

2. Again here you are implying the Palestinians are firing the rockets out of "arbitrariness" which is what is racist. Palestinians have an understandable reason for not trusting and resisting the Israeli government, it's not arbitrary.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DelilahFlowers posted:

Racism is when you state that the favored group of an ethnonationalist state is closely related to the group they are genociding.

That is racist, yes. It's a racist view to think that people who are more closely related should be less likely to fight. It's literally viewing the conflict through a racist lens.

Ethnicity is a cultural grouping, not a racial one.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"ancient tribal feudalism" is just an excuse to not read a history book.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DelilahFlowers posted:

Yeah your attempt to use race science to understand this war is racist.

Comparing Israeli and Palestinian genetics to figure out who belongs to which tribe, that's race science.

Please stop making racist posts in this thread.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 23, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Everyone on earth shares the same blood, it's a matter of how much you zoom in. I don't think I'm out of line for calling Israelis and Palestinians separate ethnic groups for our purposes, which by the way can identify on religious and cultural bases as well as ancestral.

These are maybe among the least generous readings of my post imaginable. I was replying to a poster who suggested the rockets are being fired from Hamas for good reason: resistance against an oppressor which aims to eliminate them. I granted them these terms despite not being fully on board (oppression I can broadly agree with, elimination is harder) and extended the discussion thusly: if I do X because you did Y, and you in turn do Z because I did X, at some point "we", on both sides, may lose ourselves in cultural tit-for-tat accounting. I don't think this is unreasonable, and I certainly don't think it's racist.

Granted, I spoke only of the Palestinian shows of force (Qassam rockets), and not the Israeli, but that's because that was the topic at hand. Israelis are not immune to this, nor is anyone gripped in the seductions of tribal thinking. I was using the greetings as an example of the arbitrariness and ethereal-like nature of many cultural/tribal customs, not as some racist damnation. Violence and distrust for the other aren't a part of Palestinian nature, they're a part of human nature.

Sometimes we use abstractions to speak of other things disconnected from their literal meaning. Abstract thinking/reasoning it's called. Many Arabs, even the ones not getting bombed by Israelis, hate Jews (and maybe especially Israelis). So if you think that hatred for Jews/Israelis contains no cultural arbitrariness across the Arab world (including Palestine), you're probably wrong.

I am very confident that the people being genocided are not going to forget why they are under constant attack and threat of death.

e:

DelilahFlowers posted:

This is one of those sentences that you could say in either Israel or Palestine and have everyone that hears it instantly upset at you

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 23, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Marenghi posted:

I mean people did defend it on that basis. There was definitely an element of it having gone on for so long and oppressed black people so bad, that ended it would result in white's being killed for revenge. Similar argument gets made in the I/P situation.

Oh yes, of course there were those people, in fairly large numbers. I'm just pointing out that a lot of people posting here would probably have been those people. They were wrong then (that's proven) and I suspect they are wrong now, based on observable history.

We really have no concrete idea how the Palestinians of post-1948 would react to a world where Israel peacefully decided to stop Apartheid, because they've never been given a chance to show us, but based on the end of Apartheid South Africa, among other conflicts, it would be reasonable to assume they would not continue firing rockets.

When Canada gave First Nations people de jure equal rights to settler Canadians, they didn't use it to attack us or anything like that. Even now that they're still de facto second-class citizens based on living conditions, I don't have to worry that some First Nations person is going to attack me for being white. This paranoid fantasy that the oppressed are motivated by vengeance rather than a desire for liberty is an insidious consequence of the settler-colonial mindset.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 23, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

Oh yes, of course there were those people, in fairly large numbers. I'm just pointing out that a lot of people posting here would probably have been those people. They were wrong then (that's proven) and I suspect they are wrong now, based on observable history.

I haven't seen anyone here defend Israeli apartheid, much less South African apartheid.

I think if you're going to say something so severe and inflammatory, you should find some posts and say "this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, I sincerely believe these individual people probably would defend South African apartheid."

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Yeah your attempt to use race science to understand this war is racist.

Comparing Israeli and Palestinian genetics to figure out who belongs to which tribe, that's race science.

Please stop making racist posts in this thread.

KillHour posted:

That is racist, yes. It's a racist view to think that people who are more closely related should be less likely to fight. It's literally viewing the conflict through a racist lens.

Ethnicity is a cultural grouping, not a racial one.
I wanted to make a loving post about israelis and palestinians being more similar than different, that they are descendents of the same loving people, and that they shouldnt be loving killing each other because they are killing their own family.

And yet you twist it to be about racism.

These gross mischaracterizations is exactly why so few people post in this thread.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DelilahFlowers posted:

I wanted to make a loving post about israelis and palestinians being more similar than different, that they are descendents of the same loving people, and that they shouldnt be loving killing each other because they are killing their own family.

And yet you twist it to be about racism.

These gross mischaracterizations is exactly why so few people post in this thread.

It's not a mischaracterization and you're confusing being told it's a racist argument for someone saying that you are a Racist. It is very easy to make a well meaning and well intentioned argument, which yours is, through a racial lens because it is the lens we're all constantly told to view the world through. They don't have similarities and differences as different races. They're just humans. The problem is that we bundle up a lot of things with no tie to race, like politics, culture, beliefs, or allegiances and then use race as an explainer for why which ends up causing well meaning arguments that still depend on race being a real factor and difference.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 23, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I haven't seen anyone here defend Israeli apartheid, much less South African apartheid.

I think if you're going to say something so severe and inflammatory, you should find some posts and say "this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, I sincerely believe these individual people probably would defend South African apartheid."

Pvt. Parts posted:

Many reasons which are maybe not even fully understood by people firing said rockets themselves. And that's not a "hurr hurr look at these barbarians, violent in nature!" jab at the Palestinians/Hamas, but more of a recognition of the extremely long historical tentacles which emanate from the conflict. Sometimes the best reason people have for feuding is, like many aspects of culture, "because that's what we've always done, and that's how it's always been".

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, I sincerely believe this individual person would probably defend South African apartheid.

Not on the basis that Blacks are inferior, of course, just on the basis that after such a long period of apartheid, they'd probably know no culture but to violently attack white people.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KillHour posted:

I'd argue that it is important, as one of the defining mythos for Israel is that of Jews triumphantly returning home expelling the invaders, and preventing Jewish persecution. It's relevant to point out that those 'invaders' are in fact the children of the Jews who stayed, who still have deep Jewish-based roots to the land, and as a result mock the concept of the last point.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

HonorableTB posted:

I am very confident that the people being genocided are not going to forget why they are under constant attack and threat of death.

Do you really think, even for a second, that if the Palestinians were powerful militarily and politically enough to not be "genocided", that the fighting would stop and everyone would live happily ever after? The conflict exists beyond the obvious asymmetry in strength.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It doesn't matter if 70% of Jews and 50% of Arabs share common DNA from ancestors multiple thousands of years ago because it has no bearing at all on literally anything sociologically or culturally or in any way possible. Humans share 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees, are they about to stop ripping off peoples' faces in solidarity with their genetic brother?

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 23, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DelilahFlowers posted:

Yeah it looks like you place a lot of value into genetics, in determining how things are (who is similar and who is different, who belongs to which tribe, who belongs to which family) and how things should be (who should be loving killing each other).

Someone who believes in understanding the world through ethnic/tribal identity, and believes in understanding ethnic/tribal identity through genetics - I don't know what to call that except racism, sorry.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

PT6A posted:

We really have no concrete idea how the Palestinians of post-1948 would react to a world where Israel peacefully decided to stop Apartheid, because they've never been given a chance to show us, but based on the end of Apartheid South Africa, among other conflicts, it would be reasonable to assume they would not continue firing rockets.

When Canada gave First Nations people de jure equal rights to settler Canadians, they didn't use it to attack us or anything like that. Even now that they're still de facto second-class citizens based on living conditions, I don't have to worry that some First Nations person is going to attack me for being white. This paranoid fantasy that the oppressed are motivated by vengeance rather than a desire for liberty is an insidious consequence of the settler-colonial mindset.

I mean, 1995 to 2005 Gaza was certainly a more open period for Gaza specifically and they had the opportunity to show the world something during those years. Didn't go that way, but that was a valid opportunity for them to do so.

They also had the opportunity during the election. Even if people would refuse to vote for Fatah, they could have abstained or voted for someone else besides the organization who was explicitly devoted to genocide (whether you believe their future changes, in 2005 it was very explicit). That would have been an opportunity to show the world.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I want to counter the narratives of an ethnonationalist state not uphold the validity of "scientific" racism or purport the existence of tribes (which i was countering in the first place abd dont loving believe in)

You are literally going "oh, so you believe in racial science huh" to someone using genetics to disprove phrenology

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DelilahFlowers posted:

I want to counter the narratives of an ethnonationalist state not uphold the validity of "scientific" racism or purport the existence of tribes (which i was countering in the first place abd dont loving believe in)

If you don't believe in it then say you don't believe in it. Instead what you said was:

DelilahFlowers posted:

Also, if we are talking tribes, israelis and palestinians are of the same one. They share the same blood.

If you think "talking tribes" is nonsense then you should've just said it was nonsense. Instead you gave your own theory of who belongs to which tribe based on "blood" and genetics, which is called racism. It's just what racism is - the attempt to sort people into categories based on genetic-ancestral origin, the thing you were doing.

quote:

You are literally going "oh, so you believe in racial science huh" to someone using genetics to disprove phrenology

Yeah because your "using genetics" to say who belongs to which tribe, who is similar and who is different, who is family, who should be killing whom - it's racism. I understand that it's racism in the service of laudable 'why can't we all just get along" politics, but the problem is that racism is always stupid and so your racist posts are necessarily stupid as well.

The way to counter ethnonationalism is to say "your racial ideology is bullshit," not "your racial ideology should recognize my racial science which proves that you were really the same race as your enemy and therefore have a natural bond."

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

If you don't believe in it then say you don't believe in it. Instead what you said was:

If you think "talking tribes" is nonsense then you should've just said it was nonsense. Instead you gave your own theory of who belongs to which tribe based on "blood" and genetics, which is called racism. It's just what racism is - the attempt to sort people into categories based on genetic-ancestral origin, the thing you were doing.

Yeah because your "using genetics" to say who belongs to which tribe, who is similar and who is different, who is family, who should be killing whom - it's racism. I understand that it's racism in the service of laudable 'why can't we all just get along" politics, but the problem is that racism is always stupid and so your racist posts are necessarily stupid as well.

The way to counter ethnonationalism is to say "your racial ideology is bullshit," not "your racial ideology should recognize my racial science which proves that you were really the same race as your enemy and therefore have a natural bond."

Shut the gently caress up, debate lord retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

I feel like a lot of people ITT would have been arguing in favour of South African Apartheid, on the basis that there's just no other way it could possibly work. It's a very small-minded way of looking at things, by which I don't mean "stupid," but just reflective of a worldview which is ignorant and closed to possibility. I don't think it's morally "evil" or anything, because I think it's done without intent; it's just sad to see.

By the end that was the justification for continuing apartheid, at least the one targeted at people who were uncomfortable with the openly racist justifications.

It's really a pity that this unequal system has to exist and that we need a violent, militaristic security state to enforce it, but black people just hate white people in South Africa so much at this point that if you take the shackles off now the "swart gevaar" will kill us all.

The oppression became its own moral justification. They hate us because we oppress them, and we can't afford to stop oppressing them as long as they hate us.

E: oh wow beaten by a mile

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 23, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

I mean, 1995 to 2005 Gaza was certainly a more open period for Gaza specifically and they had the opportunity to show the world something during those years. Didn't go that way, but that was a valid opportunity for them to do so.

They also had the opportunity during the election. Even if people would refuse to vote for Fatah, they could have abstained or voted for someone else besides the organization who was explicitly devoted to genocide (whether you believe their future changes, in 2005 it was very explicit). That would have been an opportunity to show the world.

Could you state why 1995-2005 was an opportunity for Gaza to "show the world something" when you had rampant settlerism and land confiscation, and any decisions typically handled by a government handled by an occupying force that controlled their borders, wave arrested and tortured their people, and stole their natural resources, down tp preventing wells from being dug? If you're gonna post such a bold claim, could you at least provide some sources

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

I guess citizens would be a better one? I mean nothing by its inexactness in either case.

What system is that? If that system is their existence as an independent Jewish state, period, as it is in the mind of some Palestinians, then I don't see where there is to go from there. It's a dead end. And I'm not alluding to Palestinian consensus on the right for Israel to exist, but "this is our land, you shouldn't be here" is a non-starter from a "dismantling systems" POV. Hamas in the past has been more explicit about Israel's destruction as an endgame, less so now.

Many reasons which are maybe not even fully understood by people firing said rockets themselves. And that's not a "hurr hurr look at these barbarians, violent in nature!" jab at the Palestinians/Hamas, but more of a recognition of the extremely long historical tentacles which emanate from the conflict. Sometimes the best reason people have for feuding is, like many aspects of culture, "because that's what we've always done, and that's how it's always been".

In some parts of southern Europe they kiss on both cheeks to greet each other. Some just the right, or just the left, or right and then left and then right again. Some literally touch lips to cheek, some only just cheek-to-cheek. Some go across genders, some don't. These seemingly compatible traditions are effectively non-interoperable when it comes to "on the ground" mixing of different styles; where and how do you kiss? Would it be ludicrous to entertain that ancient tribal feuds could be just as arbitrary?

The Israeli-Palestine conflict isn't an "ancient tribal feud". It's a 20th-century clash between nationalist movements, not some inscrutable cultural trait. If you want to say that they're simply destined to hate each other because of some cultural incompatibility, you're going to have to come up with much better examples than different styles of greeting-kisses.

There aren't any rockets being launched from the West Bank, so it seems quite obvious that existing as an independent Jewish state does not inherently draw rocket fire from Palestinians.

Pvt. Parts posted:

If you haven't eaten a probe or two in order to (im)properly express your opinions in this here thread, you're doing it wrong.

More seriously, what constitutes a proper claim to land is not something I'm going to pretend to have any real clue about. My impulse, inherited from Western/English property law, is something along the lines of stewardship imbues a claim to property/land. Also, the nature of your use of some property/land is tied into your convincing me you rightfully own it. You can have the pipe, just don't hit me on the hit with it, and definitely don't make pipe bombs.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Western property law does not require someone to prove they're putting land to good use in order to continue owning it. And even if it did, the Palestinians were putting their land to use. And even if they weren't, citing the property laws of a country on a whole different continent as a reason to steal Palestinian land is just purestrain colonialism.

I really think it would be nice if you just straight-out said what you were actually thinking, instead of these constant diversions to weird irrelevant off-topic stuff like English property law or Southern European kiss-greeting practices. You're throwing out analogies that don't make any sense, and then as soon as someone calls you on it you move straight to a new one. For someone who's supposedly discussing the Israel/Palestine conflict in the Israel/Palestine thread, you sure seem reluctant to actually talk about Israel or Palestine in any real detail.

DelilahFlowers posted:

The thing is that nobody really cares. They may be genetically related, but they've culturally diverged long ago and no longer identify as a single people, and that's far more important than whatever genetic studies say.

The only real relevance of the genetic studies is as a counter to Zionist myths that Palestinians were themselves foreign colonists who moved in after the Jews left (and therefore have a lesser claim to the land). But we don't really need genetic studies to debunk that. The idea that both modern Jews and Palestinians descended from the Israelites was (as far as I can tell) pretty widely accepted for centuries. It only really started to experience pushback in the early 20th century, as increasing tensions between Zionist immigrants and local Palestinians led to each side seeking to discredit the other side's ancestral links to the land.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, I sincerely believe this individual person would probably defend South African apartheid.

Not on the basis that Blacks are inferior, of course, just on the basis that after such a long period of apartheid, they'd probably know no culture but to violently attack white people.
Sure, but everyone else immediately responded to that post calling it stupid, racist, and dismissive of the insane violent oppression under which Palestinians have to live every day.

I think the prevailing attitude of the thread is obviously a deep opposition to Israeli apartheid (which I share), to the point that last week there was a serious debate over whether it's bad when Hamas kills random Israelis and their kids (I think it's very bad).

I don't know that you could get more than 2 people here to say they oppose BDS, I think if this thread was around for South African apartheid it would be full of people who opposed apartheid, specifically by supporting the ANC and supporting boycotting South Africa.

Main Paineframe posted:

The only real relevance of the genetic studies is as a counter to Zionist myths that Palestinians were themselves foreign colonists who moved in after the Jews left (and therefore have a lesser claim to the land). But we don't really need genetic studies to debunk that. The idea that both modern Jews and Palestinians descended from the Israelites was (as far as I can tell) pretty widely accepted for centuries. It only really started to experience pushback in the early 20th century, as increasing tensions between Zionist immigrants and local Palestinians led to each side seeking to discredit the other side's ancestral links to the land.

I think the one problem here is that it accepts the Zionist framing that land rights exist that the ethnic-national level and inherited from generation to generation in that way. Even if the Palestinians had all immigrated to Palestine from Alaska in 1901, and "genetically" they were Native Alaskans, it would not at all change the injustice of the occupation or the nakba.

With this kind of Zionist bullshit racism it's enough to say that the myth is factually wrong, it's important to acknowledge that the myth is irrelevant and incoherent, that it's "not even wrong."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 23, 2023

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

The Israeli-Palestine conflict isn't an "ancient tribal feud". It's a 20th-century clash between nationalist movements, not some inscrutable cultural trait. If you want to say that they're simply destined to hate each other because of some cultural incompatibility, you're going to have to come up with much better examples than different styles of greeting-kisses.

There aren't any rockets being launched from the West Bank, so it seems quite obvious that existing as an independent Jewish state does not inherently draw rocket fire from Palestinians.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Western property law does not require someone to prove they're putting land to good use in order to continue owning it. And even if it did, the Palestinians were putting their land to use. And even if they weren't, citing the property laws of a country on a whole different continent as a reason to steal Palestinian land is just purestrain colonialism.

I really think it would be nice if you just straight-out said what you were actually thinking, instead of these constant diversions to weird irrelevant off-topic stuff like English property law or Southern European kiss-greeting practices. You're throwing out analogies that don't make any sense, and then as soon as someone calls you on it you move straight to a new one. For someone who's supposedly discussing the Israel/Palestine conflict in the Israel/Palestine thread, you sure seem reluctant to actually talk about Israel or Palestine in any real detail.

The thing is that nobody really cares. They may be genetically related, but they've culturally diverged long ago and no longer identify as a single people, and that's far more important than whatever genetic studies say.

You are now purportedly a racist accoeding to these loving idiots arguments

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Could you stated why 1995-2005 was an opportunity for Gaza to "show the world anything" when you had rampant settlerism and land confiscation, and any decisions typically handled by a government handled by an occupying force that controlled their borders, wave arrested and tortured their people, and stole their natural resources, down tp preventing wells from being dug? If you're gonna post such a bold claim, could you at least provide some sources

Because 1995 was the turnover from Gaza-Jericho and Oslo II, so Gaza had some self-determination and was making their own government decisions and laws. Specific to your comment here, 1995 is the point when "any decisions typically handled by a government handled by an occupying force that controlled their borders" was no longer an accurate statement thanks to Gaza-Jericho. In addition Egypt, who to remind you controls one of those borders, relations were still good as far as I'm aware and Israel wasn't enforcing a strict blockade like they were prior to that or after the 2005 election.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sure, but everyone else immediately responded to that post calling it stupid, racist, and dismissive of the insane violent oppression under which Palestinians have to live every day.

I agree. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "many people" here would've supported South African apartheid, because I absolutely believe you're correct about the majority view of the thread. But there's a definite non-zero number of people here who would've done -- and they're being rightfully called out for it, I agree.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DelilahFlowers posted:

You are now purportedly a racist accoeding to these loving idiots arguments

No not at all. If you're mad about what I said - I swear it's not personal, I'm not trying to gently caress with you. I just personally really don't like seeing people do race science about who the Jews and Palestinians REALLY are and who their REAL families are, based on genetics.

I've seen nasty Zionists do it, nasty Jew-haters do it, and you're doing it too - not that you're nasty, but your attempt to find some enlightened genetic-tribal reality that builds bridges instead of barriers, it's still just nasty-rear end scientific racism.

Main Painefrsme's post wasn't racist because it didn't do that.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pvt. Parts posted:

I guess citizens would be a better one? I mean nothing by its inexactness in either case.

What system is that? If that system is their existence as an independent Jewish state, period, as it is in the mind of some Palestinians, then I don't see where there is to go from there. It's a dead end. And I'm not alluding to Palestinian consensus on the right for Israel to exist, but "this is our land, you shouldn't be here" is a non-starter from a "dismantling systems" POV. Hamas in the past has been more explicit about Israel's destruction as an endgame, less so now.

In some parts of southern Europe they kiss on both cheeks to greet each other. Some just the right, or just the left, or right and then left and then right again. Some literally touch lips to cheek, some only just cheek-to-cheek. Some go across genders, some don't. These seemingly compatible traditions are effectively non-interoperable when it comes to "on the ground" mixing of different styles; where and how do you kiss? Would it be ludicrous to entertain that ancient tribal feuds could be just as arbitrary?

You could prob convert all Jewish Israelis to Islam tmr and the current I/P conflict will continue, just with different framing. Since the fundamental material circumstances of both sides haven't changed all that much. Ideological components of said conflict will simply adapt.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

No not at all. If you're mad about what I said - I swear it's not personal, I'm not trying to gently caress with you. I just personally really don't like seeing people do race science about who the Jews and Palestinians REALLY are and who their REAL families are, based on genetics.

I've seen nasty Zionists do it, nasty Jew-haters do it, and you're doing it too - not that you're nasty, but your attempt to find some enlightened genetic-tribal reality that builds bridges instead of barriers, it's still just nasty-rear end scientific racism.

Main Painefrsme's post wasn't racist because it didn't do that.
Shut the gently caress up racist rear end idiot

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The way I see it, the first thing that absolutely has to happen in order to bring peace and justice to the region, is for the highest level of the Israeli government to be outed and removed. They are massively corrupt and acting in bad faith in every single regard. People like Benjamin Netanyahu, and Isaac Herzog need to go, the far right leaning arm of Israel needs to go. The Palestinians don't need to do anything, saying the Palestinians need to do this or that, is gross to me and makes zero sense. Everything is on Israel, they can stop the violence at any time and choose not to.

Remove the blockade on Gaza, remove the walls around the city, give all Palestinians the same rights as Israeli's, remove all military checkpoints and allow free movement for Palestinians. Give Palestinians justice, that includes bringing people like Netanyahu to trial and making him face justice under Palestinian law.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

I said come in! posted:

The way I see it, the first thing that absolutely has to happen in order to bring peace and justice to the region, is for the highest level of the Israeli government to be outed and removed. They are massively corrupt and acting in bad faith in every single regard. People like Benjamin Netanyahu, and Isaac Herzog need to go, the far right leaning arm of Israel needs to go. The Palestinians don't need to do anything, saying the Palestinians need to do this or that, is gross to me and makes zero sense. Everything is on Israel, they can stop the violence at any time and choose not to.

I think one of the problems for the Israelis is they lack anyone with the stature to make concessions to the Palestinians at this point. You need someone from the now dead founding generation to do it to be acceptable to the domestic Israeli electorate (which is pretty right-leaning), and the last person who had said stature was prob Ariel Sharon

Typo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 23, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

Because 1995 was the turnover from Gaza-Jericho and Oslo II, so Gaza had some self-determination and was making their own government decisions and laws. Specific to your comment here, 1995 is the point when "any decisions typically handled by a government handled by an occupying force that controlled their borders" was no longer an accurate statement thanks to Gaza-Jericho. In addition Egypt, who to remind you controls one of those borders, relations were still good as far as I'm aware and Israel wasn't enforcing a strict blockade like they were prior to that or after the 2005 election.

The Gaza Israeli border [which has 4 crossings] was built in 1994. And before 2005

quote:

In 1993, Israel and the Palestinian Liberation Organization signed the first of the Oslo Accords establishing the Palestinian Authority with limited administrative control of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Pursuant to the Accords, Israel continues to maintain control of the Gaza Strip's airspace, land borders (with the exception of Gaza's border with Egypt, abandoned by Israel in 2005), and territorial waters.

In 2005, Israel unilaterally withdrew its troops from the Gaza Strip, along with thousands of Israeli settlers. Israel thus claims to have ended the occupation. However, this claim has been challenged on the basis that Israel continues to exercise control over Gaza's territorial waters and airspace, despite Gaza not being part of Israel and Gazans not having Israeli passports.[8]

Barrier structure
Israel started construction of the first 60 kilometers (37 mi) long barrier along its border with the Gaza Strip in 1994. In the 1994 Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, it was agreed that "the security fence erected by Israel around the Gaza Strip shall remain in place and that the line demarcated by the fence, as shown on the map, shall be authoritative only for the purpose of the Agreement"[9] (i.e. the barrier does not necessarily constitute the border). The initial barrier was completed in 1996.

Before the 2005 disengagement Israeli military maintained a one-kilometer buffer zone within Gaza along the border wall which prevented the militants to approach the border, sometimes with gunfire. After the IDF withdrawal the border became easily reachable by the Palestinians.[10] Therefore Israel launched the construction of the enhanced security system along the Gaza border, estimated to cost $220 million and to be completed in mid-2006.[11]

And based on further reading, the Egyptian side of the border was only handed over to the them in 2004 pursuant to a new deal btw the countries

quote:

In 2004, the Knesset passed a resolution to unilaterally withdraw all Israeli citizens and forces from the Gaza Strip, which went into force in August 2005. To enable Israel's evacuation from the Philadelphi Corridor, while preventing smuggling of weapons from Egypt into the Gaza Strip and infiltration and other criminal activity, Israel signed with Egypt the "Agreed Arrangements Regarding the Deployment of a Designated Force of Border Guards Along the Border in the Rafah Area" (Philadelphi Accord) on 1 September 2005. Under the Philadelphi Accord, Egypt was authorized to deploy border guards along the Philadelphi route to patrol the border on Egypt's side.[4] Part of the agreement was a continuous coordination between Israel and Egypt regarding operations and intelligence.[5]

Much opposition arose within the "Israeli defense establishment" to vacating the Philadelphi route for strategic reasons. The primary concern was the militarization of Gaza and the threat to Israeli security that its militarization would pose. However, it was decided to vacate the corridor in order to prevent Israeli-Palestinian friction which could destabilize the region further.[4]

The border control by Israel only shifted in location after 2005. If you have anything that disagrees please post it. But your statement that Palestinians had control over their borders before 2005 seems incorrect. Which is why I was wondering why you posted that without a source.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looks like Hamas really was trying to negotiate the release of those two hostages.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinian-gaza-war-syria-lebanon-hamas-c0e7ec55428fedc97f75bdfdc0c0679a

quote:

RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — The International Committee of the Red Cross says Hamas militants have released two hostages it had been holding captive in the Gaza Strip.

It was the second time the group has freed hostages seized in its bloody Oct. 7 cross-border incursion into Israel.

The hostages were identified by Israeli media as Yocheved Lifshitz and Nurit Cooper of the Israeli kibbutz of Nir Oz.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Typo posted:

I think one of the problems for the Israelis is they lack anyone with the stature to make concessions to the Palestinians at this point. You need someone from the now dead founding generation to do it to be acceptable to the domestic Israeli electorate (which is pretty right-leaning), and the last person who had said stature was prob Ariel Sharon

You're right, at this point any transition to a two/one-state solution would be understood by Jewish Israelis as a defeat.

The only way they'll accept it is by losing an actual military war or by facing the prospect of endless debilitating boycott (even a boycott of products made in the West Bank wouldn't be enough).

There are conflicts and disasters that kill more people, but I can't think of one as horribly, distressingly, infuriatingly hopeless as this one. Things are always getting worse and have no potential to get better.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shageletic posted:

The border control by Israel only shifted in location after 2005. If you have anything that disagrees please post it. But your statement that Palestinians had control over their borders before 2005 seems incorrect. Which is why I was wondering why you posted that without a source.

I never said Palestinians had control over their border, so I'm not sure where you got that from and are hyper-focusing on that specific issue. Are you referring to the statement I quoted from your post? In which case the point is that the Gaza Strip gained a Palestinian government authority that could make it's own decisions and thus any decision typically handled by a government was no longer being handled by Israel, who controls most/all of their border. If Egypt didn't have any control of the border on their side of the strip until 2004 I'll admit I didn't know that, but that was just a point I was making that there were a lot less restrictions on the border at that time compared to pre-Oslo and post-Hamas government, which is true regardless of whomever controlled the western border.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nessin posted:

Israel was still an occupying force and still controlled Gaza's borders, territorial waters, and airspace. The fortified border fence and security checkpoints Israel uses to enforce the Gaza blockade were built in 1994.

Despite that, and despite the continued expansion of Israeli settlements, Gaza was relatively peaceful for the five years specified in the Oslo Accords' five-year timeline for full Israeli withdrawal and transition to full Palestinian self-rule. Of course, that didn't happen, and in fact conditions even worsened for Palestinians in some ways. This paper from 2003 describes how Oslo had been implemented in practice and how things looked on the ground for Palestinians in the late 90s and early 00s:

https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/220/378

quote:

As originally conceived in the 1993 Declaration of Principles (DOP or Oslo I), the Oslo process included an interim phase of up to five years. By the end of the third year, Israeli and Palestinian negotiators were supposed to begin permanent (or final) status talks on what were expected to be the most difficult issues: "Jerusalem, refugees, settlements, security arrangements, borders, relations and cooperation with other neighbors, and other issues of common interest." Although it was not mentioned explicitly at the time, this is the point at which Palestinians expected statehood.

Initial Palestinian expectations were high as is reflected in Arafat's lofty rhetoric at the start of the process. At the signing ceremony of the Declaration of Principles (Oslo I) on the White House lawn on 13 September 1993, Arafat expressed Palestinian hopes: "My people are hoping that this agreement which we are signing today marks the beginning of the end of a chapter of pain and suffering which has lasted throughout this century . . . [and that it] will usher in an age of peace, coexistence and equal rights." Two years later at the signing of the Oslo II agreement, Arafat continued this message: "A significant portion of Palestinian national rights reverts today to the Palestinian people through their control of the cities, villages and populated areas." He added: "We urge you all to recognize the importance of this historic interim step that demonstrates [that] . . . the Israeli and Palestinian peoples would coexist on the basis of mutual recognition of the rights, while enjoying equality and self-determination without occupation or repeated wars and without terrorism."

What did the Oslo process change? First, it ended the day-to-day policing of most Palestinians by Israeli soldiers. Second, it gave the Palestinian Authority control over civilian agencies, though many were still at the mercy of Israeli decisions as I explain below. Third, the Oslo II agreement (28 September 1995) divided the land in the West Bank and Gaza Strip into three areas: Area A with full Palestinian responsibility for civilian and security affairs; Area B with Palestinian civil responsibility and Israeli security responsibility; and Area C under full Israeli control. By mid-2000, the West Bank was divided into A (about 17 percent), B (24 percent), and C (59 percent). The land under Palestinian control (A and B) was often not contiguous, and a map of the West Bank looked more like a Rorschach test.

Despite these changes, Israel's power over Palestinian life remained dominant. Israeli settlement building in the West Bank and East Jerusalem was not explicitly forbidden by the Oslo agreements, and the construction of new settlements and the expansion of old ones continued. From 1993 to 2000, the number of Israeli settlers increased by at least 117 percent in Gaza and at least 46 percent in the West Bank (not including East Jerusalem). In 2000, seven years after Oslo I, Israel still fully controlled East Jerusalem, 20 percent of Gaza land, and about 59 percent of the West Bank land (Area C). In another 24 percent of the West Bank, Israel still retained security control (Area B). Much taxation and revenue still went through Israeli coffers, and Israel decided when to hand over such money to the Palestinian Authority. A customs union meant that Palestinians had to pay Israeli prices for major consumer items and other goods. As more Israelis moved to Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza, Israel also implemented a policy of revoking permission to live in Jerusalem from Palestinians who could not prove the center of their life was in Jerusalem; over 1,600 Palestinians and their families were removed in this way from 1996-98, according to Israeli officials.

Israeli land expropriation of Arab land and Israeli demolition of Palestinian houses, aspects of the Israeli occupation since 1967, continued under Oslo. Approximately 670 Palestinian homes in the West Bank (including Jerusalem) were destroyed from September 1993 to June 1998. In the first two years after the signing of the Declaration of Principles, Israel confiscated 41,000 acres of West Bank land. In 1999, Israel took another 10,000 acres of land in the West Bank. The loss of land decreased the contiguity of Palestinian towns and villages, inhibited natural Palestinian growth patterns, and undermined Palestinian agricultural efforts in some areas.

One of Israel's most powerful tools was full control of borders including international borders with Jordan and Egypt, borders with Israel itself including occupied East Jerusalem, linkage between Gaza and the West Bank, and internal borders between Palestinian cities and towns. Israel frequently closed any and all of these borders thereby disrupting travel, trade, taxation, postal services, banking, medical, and educational activities. A safe passage route was supposed to be agreed upon to allow easy Palestinian travel and movement of goods between Gaza and the West Bank but the talks dragged on for years; a "southern" Gaza- West Bank route opened in late 1999. For close to a decade, Palestinians have needed to secure travel permits, for instance, to travel from Gaza to the West Bank or to enter East Jerusalem. Particularly as Israel continued turning over control of villages and cities — but often not the land connecting them to other Palestinian locales — to the Palestinian Authority, Israel could cut off individual villages and cities. The Palestinian economy and nascent efforts to develop trade and foreign investment were particularly vulnerable to the multi-level Israeli border control.

Settlement building and land transfers to the Palestinian Authority also led to the proliferation of bypass roads in the West Bank. Bypass roads were built for Israeli drivers who were often heading to and from Israeli settlements and skirted Palestinian cities and villages. While designed to reduce contact between Israelis and Palestinians and thereby prevent attacks against Israeli cars, the roads also further cut the West Bank into pieces. This further limited the possibility of finding a political resolution in which the Palestinians ended up with a state composed of contiguous territory. In some places, Israel destroyed Palestinian buildings or orchards to clear a wide swath of land for a bypass road and a security strip alongside the road.

Israel justified most measures on security grounds and lamented the hostile rhetoric of the PA and its leaders. Israeli leaders decried the militant opposition to the Oslo process, complained of faulty implementation on the part of the PA, and regularly called for more arrests and more general effort on the part of Palestinian security forces to rein in Palestinian terrorists.

Israel's position, however, also became a self-fulfilling prophecy. The psychological impact of prolonged repression and subjugation as well as the denial of political rights and non-violent means of political action set the stage for more violence. Stringent security measures, frequent closures that brought daily life to a standstill, expropriation of land, and other anti-democratic tendencies created and strengthened deep-seated animosity toward Israel and Israelis that then, in part, fueled militant movements and skepticism of the diplomatic route. Furthermore, some measures went beyond security and lasted longer than Israel's security needs required. This suggests other factors that influenced Israeli decision- making, such as a belief in the efficacy of collective punishment and the desire to gain irrevocable control of key areas of land and settlement.

Continued Israeli control of Palestinian life led to resentment that boiled just below the surface for several years. Palestinians saw the peace process as a failure, a "sham." Critics of the Oslo process regularly pointed to this repression and discontent as proof that the Palestinians were being shortchanged by the Oslo process. Even after the Israeli redeployments from 1994 onward, Israeli forces were just over the horizon and operated behind the scenes. Palestinian bureaucrats often did little more than convey paperwork and requests from Palestinians to Israeli authorities; the Israelis would make the decisions.

This perception that the peace process had not met Palestinian expectations set the stage for the second intifada. According to Muhammad Dahlan, a leading Palestinian security official, the intifada "did not occur because of planning or ill intentions but due to Palestinian desperation after seven years without arriving at a final agreement . . .. The intifada happened because of the loss of hope in the peace process." Robert Fisk, a British journalist who has long covered the region, argued that, "[s]heer despair at the perceived injustice of the Oslo agreement . . . simply overwhelmed the clichés about the 'peace process' and the need to put Oslo 'back on track.'" Amira Hass, an Israeli journalist, claimed that, "The intifada broke out because the Palestinian public was tired of this situation of occupation that adopts other names." In short, the ground was fertile for a renewed clash. Palestinians still felt the heavy hand of Israel in the suppression of Palestinian national rights.

Some Israeli officials were aware that the situation was explosive. Major General Yaakov Or, coordinator of Israeli government activities in the territories, warned Barak "several times that without real progress in the talks with the Palestinians, an explosion [in the territories] could be expected." On 26 September 2000, two days before Sharon's visit, "senior military intelligence and assessment officers attached to all of Israel's various security agencies, arrived at the conclusion that the head of the Palestinian preventive security agency, Jibril Rajoub, was not issuing empty threats. The officers concluded that Sharon's visit to the Temple Mount would ignite the flames of violence" and Arafat would then exploit the opportunity.

Ultimately, after watching how Oslo actually played out in practice, the Palestinian people felt that the peace process was a sham and that Israel was using it merely to legitimize their occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, rather than ending it. As Israeli policy and decisions repeatedly disappointed those who had negotiated with them in good faith and made real concessions in the process, the factions committed to peaceful negotiation were discredited, and the balance of power shifted toward factions that felt that violence would be necessary to secure sufficient negotiation leverage to get Israel to actually stick to the agreements. And in the end, cases like the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon in 2000 and the withdrawal from Gaza in 2005 suggested to the Palestinian people that those factions were completely correct, teaching them that Israel would be more likely to make significant concessions and stick to them if pressured by violent action.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

I never said Palestinians had control over their border, so I'm not sure where you got that from and are hyper-focusing on that specific issue. Are you referring to the statement I quoted from your post? In which case the point is that the Gaza Strip gained a Palestinian government authority that could make it's own decisions and thus any decision typically handled by a government was no longer being handled by Israel, who controls most/all of their border. If Egypt didn't have any control of the border on their side of the strip until 2004 I'll admit I didn't know that, but that was just a point I was making that there were a lot less restrictions on the border at that time compared to pre-Oslo and post-Hamas government, which is true regardless of whomever controlled the western border.

Controlling your own borders is a pretty important feature of governance. You brought up the Egyptians controlling their side of the border before 2005, which made me look up to see if that was true. Which it seemingly isn't. Palestinians have never had the "chance" to control their own borders. The blockade in Gaza only changed in location and a level of severity in 2005. So I'm still wondering how the Palestinians had the chance to show the world how they could govern before that.

Not to mention electricity, water, visas, and the administration of taxes and police powers were still in some or total control by Israel during that time. You made the comment. You've been wrong on an important fact so far. What made you post it, and what are the sources for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 5, 2023