Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit this movie needs to have an idea for a scary thing beyond “something that shouldn’t be able to move moves when it’s off camera”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Definitely the comic titles, but if you have a way to slap them over the memorable visuals in a way that doesn't look too cluttered that'd be great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit this movie needs to have an idea for a scary thing beyond “something that shouldn’t be able to move moves when it’s off camera”

Yeah it's not exceptional it's just a pleasant surprise movie for its title and script. They have two types of scares in the trilogy and they do them okay.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

I have bad news.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Hell House but yeah I’d say it’s fair game for a Halloween movie even if it’s technically not set on Halloween. It’s certainly Halloween themed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

You watching the new best of the worst? The RLM haunted collection was super scary

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK Hell House has firmed my position on the CGI in Koji Shiraishi movies. I know some people said it put them out of the movie a bit, but I always thought it was fine. Now I say it is good. If you're doing a low budget found footage movie featuring a portal to hell, a goddamn CGI worm tunnel is far preferable to just some loving dudes in capes.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Spookas, I need an opinion. I'm making title cards for my Plex collection of Creepshow (the TV series), and I'm wondering what you prefer, style A (with the comic titles) or style B (with a memorable visual from the episode)?

Style A definitely

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Spookas, I need an opinion. I'm making title cards for my Plex collection of Creepshow (the TV series), and I'm wondering what you prefer, style A (with the comic titles) or style B (with a memorable visual from the episode)?

Do a mix: style B for the top left but style A for the bottom right.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Both are cool, but if this is specifically for Creepshow then you gotta go with style A.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gripweed posted:

OK Hell House has firmed my position on the CGI in Koji Shiraishi movies. I know some people said it put them out of the movie a bit, but I always thought it was fine. Now I say it is good. If you're doing a low budget found footage movie featuring a portal to hell, a goddamn CGI worm tunnel is far preferable to just some loving dudes in capes.

In the third one the portal to hell is CGI from 2001 that looks like a small rift of fire on the floor and the battle between the devil's servant and an angel is two guys sorta wrestling.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s Style A 100%.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Picking Hellhouse III over Hellhouse I is the kinda wild take that keeps me coming back to this thread.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Style A it is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Style A it is.

Honestly, I’d put something like that on my wall.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Honestly, I’d put something like that on my wall.

Let me know if you want me to upload the unshrunk one, it's like 5k by 5k so it'd probably print relatively well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Much appreesh. I’ll keep that in mind.

Also, in Pumpkinhead, you can tell that the old woman is magic because she lives in a swamp on top of a mountain. . (Yes I too am watching Pumpkinhead.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blumpkinhead

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Grinch wants you to have some dip for your chips

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vincent Price's Steak Diane is one of my top recipes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That is a bland as poo poo guacamole.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

yeah it says he's English

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The first episode of Creepshow's newest season is written by Mike Flanagan's brother and feels like a Tim Robinson sketch but is also really good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The cgi in shiraishi movies was always part of the charm for me. The weird shadowy worms and like, say, the ending of Occult, all that weird low budget poo poo just adds to the cursed feeling for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

yeah it says he's English

Lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I watched an Argentinian film on Shudder called Terrified and despite being a bit messy and disjointed, it was a real good time. The premise was cool and the character performances were solid (and weird). I wish it had been a bit more coherent because I liked what it was unpacking.

VHS85 was good fun too. Probably the most consistent of all the VHS movies. Not really scary at all but there were some creative bits. I really liked the wrap around segment. And the Lake episode was unexpected (as well as its conclusion). I'm with it being an annual franchise given that the quality seems to be staying high.

I watched All Hallows Eve out of pure curiosity. I'm not a fan of Art the Clown (I have stronger opinions than this but I'll keep them to myself) and Terrifier does nothing for me but like I said, curious. It was just super lame. I like a decent low budget film but it was boring. And SO DARK. I couldn't see anything in the alien segment. On top of that, it felt so much longer than the runtime.

Washed the bad taste out of my mouth with a rewatch of The Autopsy of Jane Doe which is always a good time. Every rewatch makes me appreciate it more. It's such a tightly paced little film that doesn't waste any time but also doesn't leave much on the table.

I think tonight is my annual rewatch of Lake Mungo so that'll be a nice time. I'm really looking forward to the next Hell House entry. I watched them all last week in preparation. 1 is still fantastic. 2 doesn't do much for me and 3 was more than a little cheesy towards the end but is overall a pretty solid movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Levantine posted:

I watched an Argentinian film on Shudder called Terrified and despite being a bit messy and disjointed, it was a real good time. The premise was cool and the character performances were solid (and weird). I wish it had been a bit more coherent because I liked what it was unpacking.

Great news! The director's next film, When Evil Lurks, comes out this week and it goes hard as gently caress. I can't promise that it's more coherent than Terrified necessarily but it whips rear end.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Great news! The director's next film, When Evil Lurks, comes out this week and it goes hard as gently caress. I can't promise that it's more coherent than Terrified necessarily but it whips rear end.

Coherence is always secondary to rear end whipping so I'm here for it!

Is it hitting streaming?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

That must be why he's so mad about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's got sherry in it, can't be that bad

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone post that video of Vincent Price cooking a fish in a dishwasher

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Levantine posted:

Coherence is always secondary to rear end whipping so I'm here for it!

Is it hitting streaming?

Yup it's a Shudder joint so it should be on there Friday I think?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Saw Nightmare On Elm Street 3 in the theatre. It remains a classic.

I'm trying to figure out how hosed all the doctors are, professionally. Kristen self-harms and is confined to the hospital. The first night, Philip jumps out a window because no one on the night shift was doing their job. The next day, Dr. Neil Gordon learns new intern Nancy is taking an experimental drug, and she convinces him to prescribe it for all their patients. That night, Jennifer commits suicide by (apparently) getting a running start and taking a flying leap headfirst into a television. After the funeral, they try a group hypnosis session that ends with Joey in an explicable coma. Having lost 3 patients in 4 days, the chief doctors decide to blame everything on Neil and Nancy and fire them.

Nancy sneaks back into the hospital and conducts another group hypnosis session. Taryn and Will both die while Joey awakens from his coma. Nancy is inexplicably stabbed to death, while Neil was involved in the mysterious death of Nancy's father in a junkyard.

The intriguing thing to me is the dream-suppressant Hypnocil. The kids only got a single dose, and the drug appears much later in Freddy vs. Jason. Maybe it would have worked if they'd kept using it in the 80s.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Saw Nightmare On Elm Street 3 in the theatre. It remains a classic.

I'm trying to figure out how hosed all the doctors are, professionally. Kristen self-harms and is confined to the hospital. The first night, Philip jumps out a window because no one on the night shift was doing their job. The next day, Dr. Neil Gordon learns new intern Nancy is taking an experimental drug, and she convinces him to prescribe it for all their patients. That night, Jennifer commits suicide by (apparently) getting a running start and taking a flying leap headfirst into a television. After the funeral, they try a group hypnosis session that ends with Joey in an explicable coma. Having lost 3 patients in 4 days, the chief doctors decide to blame everything on Neil and Nancy and fire them.

Nancy sneaks back into the hospital and conducts another group hypnosis session. Taryn and Will both die while Joey awakens from his coma. Nancy is inexplicably stabbed to death, while Neil was involved in the mysterious death of Nancy's father in a junkyard.

The intriguing thing to me is the dream-suppressant Hypnocil. The kids only got a single dose, and the drug appears much later in Freddy vs. Jason. Maybe it would have worked if they'd kept using it in the 80s.

You’d think the kids’ parents might have a very solid case for malpractice!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The parents are all zonked out of their minds in their mansions, they probably forgot they ever had kids.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Jeepers Creepers last night and liked it so I was looking into the franchise to see if it was worth watching the sequels, and jesus christ. I had a vague sense that the guy behind the first movie had been metooed or something, but jesus christ. And they just let him keep making movies. Apparently he was protected professionally by Francis Ford Coppola.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was just easier to sweep stuff under the rug back then before social media. There weren't a whole lot of ways you were going to hear about Salva, and as a director he wasn't at the level of a household name where his name would even be brought up much during the marketing push for a movie like Jeepers Creepers. Like, I saw a trailer for Jeepers Creepers in the leadup to it's release, thought it looked great and went to see it opening weekend, and never knew or cared who directed it. These days the studio decision makers can't hire a guy like that even if they wanted to because it would get dogpiled on social media and nobody would want to see the movie.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Also the first one is the only one worth a poo poo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Doltos posted:

The first episode of Creepshow's newest season is written by Mike Flanagan's brother and feels like a Tim Robinson sketch but is also really good

I had no idea it was Flanagan's brother but that makes a lot of sense. It had the same vibe as Mike Flanagan's stuff, plus both the actresses being in Flanagan stuff.

I also really liked this season in general. There were no real duds for me and a couple of really great segments. I was kind of bummed we didn't get a single Creep into or outro, though. Those are always fun little bits but maybe they're prohibitively expensive or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Gripweed posted:

I watched Jeepers Creepers last night and liked it so I was looking into the franchise to see if it was worth watching the sequels, and jesus christ. I had a vague sense that the guy behind the first movie had been metooed or something, but jesus christ. And they just let him keep making movies. Apparently he was protected professionally by Francis Ford Coppola.

Don't watch more but check out the Unsolved Mysteries story that the Jeepers Creepers opening literally just copies wholesale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Xn-R91Ys4