Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m watching Fall Brawl ‘93 and there’s a pre-tape where Cactus Jack is cutting a promo on Vader, but every time Jack says “Big Van Vader” they mute out the “Big Van” part. Well, I assume that what he’s saying. What’s up with that?

Also the pre-tape has ended and now Jack is not wrestling Vader he’s wrestling a Japanese man that I’m pretty sure is not Japanese. WCW sure was a wild company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Sandman McMahon posted:

I’m watching Fall Brawl ‘93 and there’s a pre-tape where Cactus Jack is cutting a promo on Vader, but every time Jack says “Big Van Vader” they mute out the “Big Van” part. Well, I assume that what he’s saying. What’s up with that?

He was named "Big Van Vader" in NJPW. NJPW held the rights to the name, so he couldn't use it in the US, but he could be just "Vader" and they couldn't do anything about that.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I’m only through about page 380 or so but massrafter is your podcast up anywhere else these days? All the links I’ve hit so far were busted.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he was hit with multiple DMCA violations for using jan terri's tracks as bumper music

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

the yeti posted:

I’m only through about page 380 or so but massrafter is your podcast up anywhere else these days? All the links I’ve hit so far were busted.

Should be up here, I still pay the hosting because I tell myself "I'll record again soon. Any day now."

https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-monumental-podcast

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Should be up here, I still pay the hosting because I tell myself "I'll record again soon. Any day now."

You're also up on Spotify. That's how I've been listening the last few months.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was talking with a friend about Sting retiring and we ended up talking about Dustin & Sting having a match. Looked it up on cagematch, and they have never had a 1v1, they haven't wrestled with or against each other in a tag match since 95. They were a constant part of a 3 person team (rotating another baby-faced in & out) from like 92 to 95.

There's one six way match they were in, but it seems crazy that for 2 guys who wrestled as long as they have, that they haven't crossed paths in almost 30 years.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

syzpid posted:

I was talking with a friend about Sting retiring and we ended up talking about Dustin & Sting having a match. Looked it up on cagematch, and they have never had a 1v1, they haven't wrestled with or against each other in a tag match since 95. They were a constant part of a 3 person team (rotating another baby-faced in & out) from like 92 to 95.

There's one six way match they were in, but it seems crazy that for 2 guys who wrestled as long as they have, that they haven't crossed paths in almost 30 years.

I guess it makes sense once you put the timelines together. They were both babyfaces in WCW and wouldn't have had a reason to wrestle each other, then Dustin went off to WWF and Sting stayed in WCW until it died. I bet if the Seven gimmick didn't die an immediate death, they would have done some kind of Sting/Seven thing.

I assume they were in TNA at the same time as well, but obviously on much different trajectories if they were.

Kind of surprised we never got Cody/Dustin/Sting as a trio at any point in AEW, though if Cody was still around now I could see it happening.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
lol seven

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Learning that Seven was meant to be a Dark City gimmick made it make a lot more sense. Dustin was actually really into the gimmick too, but it was too expensive to maintain and the vignettes just didn't work. Wild times.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Learning that Seven was meant to be a Dark City gimmick made it make a lot more sense. Dustin was actually really into the gimmick too, but it was too expensive to maintain and the vignettes just didn't work. Wild times.

seven also came off as a pedophile

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yes, hence the comment about the vignettes not working.

Apparently they were supposed to represent corruption of the innocent or his own inner child or something? lmfao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Wait was Van supposed to be Vader's first name?? This literally never occurred to me until just now that Big Van might not be a physical description of him (because he's built like a big van, see)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Van Vader is Dutch for "of/from the father," implying that he was sent by God.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

Wait was Van supposed to be Vader's first name?? This literally never occurred to me until just now that Big Van might not be a physical description of him (because he's built like a big van, see)

Or it's Dutch and he's Big (of the) Vader :v:

Edit: answer above mine is far more accurate and less jokey

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s Darth dutch for

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
njpw made up a whole backstory about big van vaders name by making up a japanese folktale about a man named vader and having go nagai design his badass elephant mask

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

That’s so awesome. Vader’s so awesome. Long live the Masters of the Powerbomb :megadeath:

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 23, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s Darth dutch for

Dark, iIrc

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The only Vader I saw growing up was him being clowned on by Kane, including calling himself a piece of poo poo in a post match interview.

He deserved better than that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The only Vader I saw growing up was him being clowned on by Kane, including calling himself a piece of poo poo in a post match interview.

He deserved better than that.

Specifically called himself a BIG FAT PIECE OF poo poo and that was basically it for him in the US

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

At least it ended on a high note when he squashed heath slater

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Vader in WWF is such fuckin bullshit. Probably the worst thing Vince McMahkn has ever done.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Big is Dutch for "piglet," implying that Big Van Vader is a little pig sent by God.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

so Vader is Piglet's Darktooth

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sandman McMahon posted:

Vader in WWF is such fuckin bullshit. Probably the worst thing Vince McMahkn has ever done.

I feel like the murder and rape cover ups were worse

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah there is a Marianas Trench worth of distance between Vince's worst booking decisions and his active committing and covering-up of crimes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
vince and shawn michaels screwed vader

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
hulk hogan refusing to sell the vader bomb didnt help him either

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

those were pretty bad, but come on. its not even close....

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Snuka isn't even a real word.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Superstar Jimmy Snuka Twonior

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

yeah hes a real jerk

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

The more I hear about this Vince McMahon fellow, the less I care for him!!!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
and yet if it wasnt for vince none of you would be here

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and yet if it wasnt for vince none of you would be here

im a mcmahon? :magemage:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

haunted bong posted:

im a mcmahon? :magemage:

Sup bro

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

MassRafTer posted:

Thanks kindly :tipshat:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Vadar also never bathed and smelled like the biggest piece of poo poo according to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vader also didn't know how to work less stiff and hard hitting for the US which 100% was gonna get him in trouble in WWE

Really ending up in All Japan was the best for all involved