Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How is the Blair witch 2019 game? Its on steam sale for $5.99

Its the blooberest bloober game yet. The blair witch stuff honestly feels tacked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/SFBDim/status/1716441853648642344

quote:

A survival horror game from SFB Games with a RE1/FFVII aesthetic. Locked doors, rusty keys, heart monitor health meter, dreamlike atmosphere, environments that evoke pre-rendered art (but are actually full 3D)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1996010/Crow_Country/

so excited my heart skipped a few beats. Demo out now!

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Civ 6 is about the greatest horror of all: society

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

mutantIke posted:

Civ 6 is about the greatest horror of all: society

Truly, we live in hell

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Playing through Ghostwire Tokyo now and the game kinda rules?
I didn't really expect that, but after trying out some other open-world stuff on my new PC it came as a shock.

Sure, it's not the most mechanically advanced game in the world, and is just a platformer/collectathon/shooter with no branching dialogue trees or the game trying to shove barebones imsim mechanics into it, but it nails both exploration and art style.
I was expecting yet another game where I'd be bombarded with tons of waypoints, but it's actually up to you to find all the collectibles.

I can see it not being someone's cup of tea, but I'll gladly take some exploration from a game that doesn't treat me like an idiot in exchange for, I dunno, more fleshed out NPCs?

Hoping they won't forget about it and make a sequel that improves on the game kinda like The Evil Within 2, which was an absolute blast compared to the first one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It has such amazing vibes if nothing else. Walking around the city in the rain is extremely cozy even if everyone is gone and it's full of Slendermen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I quite liked it, when my collectathon brain wasn't trying to take over. Great scenery and a surprisingly good story, especially in the latter half. Not great, but I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

This looks cool, I had seen a tweet from the guy about it but didn't realize it was so close to release

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The enemies in Ghostwire Tokyo were all massive bullet sponges, which made the game not fun at all. I felt like the open world stuff dragged it down. A more linear experience would've probably worked better in my opinion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Control a horror game?
I just picked it up on sale.

It's a bit spooky and about paranormal stuff but the gameplay isn't very scary as such.

I'm really digging the retro aesthetic and dreamlike mood but the core gameplay of shooting glowing soldiers isn't that engaging. But the quest for more FMV carries me onward.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Control is a horror game in the same way that Resident Evil 4 is a horror game. It's very good, whatever genre it is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Control a horror game?
I just picked it up on sale.

It's a bit spooky and about paranormal stuff but the gameplay isn't very scary as such.

I'm really digging the retro aesthetic and dreamlike mood but the core gameplay of shooting glowing soldiers isn't that engaging. But the quest for more FMV carries me onward.

There's elements of existential horror in there for sure (what the Hiss actually does to people for example) but I don't think there's really any points that the gameplay is either tense or horrifying.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish Control leaned more into weird SCP things and I found the moment to moment gameplay pretty bad but I enjoyed it overall

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

girl dick energy posted:

Control is a horror game in the same way that Resident Evil 4 is a horror game. It's very good, whatever genre it is.

When you realize that Control is a pseudo sequel that takes place in the Alan Wakeverse it definitely becomes more horror like.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From fresh releases:

Yep, it's the scarlet hollow team.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah Control is a good game trapped in the body of a very mid RPG looter shooter.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The enemies in Ghostwire Tokyo were all massive bullet sponges, which made the game not fun at all. I felt like the open world stuff dragged it down. A more linear experience would've probably worked better in my opinion.

Yeah it was a weird feeling where they seeming did what 1000 wizard based shooters couldn't and made tossing beams of light feel impactful but then you needed to do it a lot for every enemy and it fizzles out. The visual design more than made up for it though.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 23, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Gotta aim for the legs to trip up the faceless salarymen

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Ghostwire feels like a spiritual successor to Killer7 for me, and I have no idea why.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
They definitely share a quite specific kind of vibe.

Shadows of the Damned fits in there, too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah Control is a good game trapped in the body of a very mid RPG looter shooter.

Wait what? Is there even loot in control? I honestly don't remember.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah you get colour coded weapon and armour mods from a variety of places

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I ended up ignoring the gun basically entirely and put all my points into throwing things at enemies.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I thought it was poo poo from a butt

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah you get colour coded weapon and armour mods from a variety of places

And the "Kill X in Y" repeatable "daily" quests to grind out, and respawning monsters, and all that poo poo. It's like a single player live service game.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It was okay, I played it for "free" on game pass and it has some decent little tricks to it and some good atmosphere in the forest at night but the plot was as subtle as a nitroglycerin sledgehammer and the dog mechanics are kind of fiddly. Also the way to get the good ending is stupid.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 23, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing wrong with having to play the game in completely counterintuitive way the game goes out of its way to imply is impossible

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CuddleCryptid posted:

And the "Kill X in Y" repeatable "daily" quests to grind out, and respawning monsters, and all that poo poo. It's like a single player live service game.

There's zero reason to do those things so they're pretty easily ignored.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vookatos posted:

Playing through Ghostwire Tokyo now and the game kinda rules?
I didn't really expect that, but after trying out some other open-world stuff on my new PC it came as a shock.

Sure, it's not the most mechanically advanced game in the world, and is just a platformer/collectathon/shooter with no branching dialogue trees or the game trying to shove barebones imsim mechanics into it, but it nails both exploration and art style.
I was expecting yet another game where I'd be bombarded with tons of waypoints, but it's actually up to you to find all the collectibles.

I can see it not being someone's cup of tea, but I'll gladly take some exploration from a game that doesn't treat me like an idiot in exchange for, I dunno, more fleshed out NPCs?

Hoping they won't forget about it and make a sequel that improves on the game kinda like The Evil Within 2, which was an absolute blast compared to the first one.

I fuckin' love Ghostwire: Tokyo, it just oozes charm and the theme and the music is all incredibly awesome. Also the easiest, most enjoyable collectathon I've ever played.

If you really start to struggle with finding everything, you can always visit the various Nekomata vendors requesting each collectable type and have it highlight an area on the map to try and find it within, without giving you an exact pinpoint.

Seriously worth picking up on sale and giving it a playthrough even if you don't 100% the game.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Has anyone tried out the additional content Ghostwire got a while back? Like a dumbass, I finished the game just before it came out instead of waiting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ghostwire has a really cool setting with lots of detail but the gameplay is pretty dull. Luckily I just got stoned and do what I always do in games looking around at every little detail in the environment so I had a good time anyway.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ghostwire rules it's fun to go bouncing around Tokyo busting ghosts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Ghostwire has a really cool setting with lots of detail but the gameplay is pretty dull. Luckily I just got stoned and do what I always do in games looking around at every little detail in the environment so I had a good time anyway.

Great to know it's a good weed game

On the list it goes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Buck Wildman posted:

ghostwire rules it's fun to go bouncing around Tokyo busting ghosts

Agreed. I love to bust

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ghostwire in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/3B_EUvi9qE4?si=JLTyZVRWd209HS29

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I definitely agree with some people here that the enemies in Ghostwire feel a bit too spongy. I feel like the game would benefit from a lower tier enemy than the Salaryman to just be a disposable ghost goon who feels good to shoot. However, after upgrading some stuff I feel better about the battle system: enemies go down to wind attacks fairly easily, charge no longer takes a year, and you've got a fire grenade for groups. I only wish there were more weapons, because I don't really vibe with water shotgun.
I'm also super into the world. My husband likes to watch me play some games so I felt that I'd keep the story until he comes home and I think I've spent like 2 hours just finishing off all available locations on chapter 2. Never got bored!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah, it felt like a game where you should’ve kept getting new weapons but you’re kind of stuck with wind as your main damage dealer and fire for big aoe while water and your arrows are useless and the talismans are pretty restricted in use.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Playing Inferno Beyond the 7th Circle and it is a cool horror themed dungeon crawler, like a blober but with just one character. It also runs on a browser since when I tried taking a screenshot the chrome devtools opened up lol

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

not quite enough cool hand gestures

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda hilarious that while Call of Cthulhu has all this 'guns are useless' stuff the guns in World of Horror are both extremely hard to get bullets for but once you do they're basically rocket launchers. I unlocked the hunter girl and introducing Aka Manto to both barrels of the boomstick and the blessed shell was cathartic.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I haven't played World of Horror but I HAVE played Arkham Horror and if WoH lets you e.g blow up Nyarlathotep with dynamite right at the 11th hour to (mostly) save the day then I am absolutely down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can't have a nun blow away Yig with holy water and a 12 gauge, because if the Ancient One awakes you lose, but you can absolutely (if you somehow get a gun and ammo, this is Japan so it's not easy) gun down vengeful demon samurai or coma demons or the early internet.