Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Amphigory posted:

Oh good we're still still talking about mad Max

More Jarmusch posting please

https://youtu.be/O737uPwthcc?si=ywpPsJFoOQINXtlG highly recommend this film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Amphigory posted:

More Jarmusch posting please
I like the opening of Ghost Dog where he walks along the street right between people but everyone moves and turns in just the right way that no one will have actually seen him move by.

Rashomon comes up a lot during Ghost Dog. As the movie goes on we see that Ghost Dog and Louie both remember their first meeting differently: Ghost Dog remembers that Louie selflessly saved him from a beating, while Louie remembers that he defended himself against one of Ghost Dog's assailants.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I was a wee bit disappointed with this :blush:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Rashomon comes up a lot during Ghost Dog. As the movie goes on we see that Ghost Dog and Louie both remember their first meeting differently: Ghost Dog remembers that Louie selflessly saved him from a beating, while Louie remembers that he defended himself against one of Ghost Dog's assailants.

Ah, poo poo, I forgot about that. Fantastic

I'm a big fan of him killing people in a similar way to the cartoon the person was just watching

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Grapes! posted:

How does one control an army of loud-rear end vehicles without radios?

You can't shout orders to them. You can strap up a dude with a flaming guitar and a bunch of drummers and amps. Signal him and he signals the rest of the fleet. The flaming guitar guy is a vital element of military organization.

Also Immortan Joe is an enormous manchild and exactly the kind of person to commission a mobile soundtrack for his automobile violence society

(I laugh at myself every time I watch Fury Road and am forcibly reminded by the camera that the stirring drums and guitar music is diegetic! loving Immortan Joe!)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phy posted:

(I laugh at myself every time I watch Fury Road and am forcibly reminded by the camera that the stirring drums and guitar music is diegetic! loving Immortan Joe!)

"Witness me," whispers Nux, watched by tens of millions of viewers

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tree Bucket posted:

"Witness me," whispers Nux, watched by tens of millions of viewers

wait a sec, you guys don't think there's a meta reference in there, do ya?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
IT is kind of hilarious how between Mad Max and The Menu Nicholas Holt has been typecast as a tryhard loser trying desperately to be noticed by their idols.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BioEnchanted posted:

IT is kind of hilarious how between Mad Max and The Menu Nicholas Holt has been typecast as a tryhard loser trying desperately to be noticed by their idols.

Now I wished he brought that same energy to his version of Beast in the X-Men movies.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Pacojet

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

SONOFABITCH NUX WAS THE FOOD WEEABO?? I knew he looked familiar.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arrath posted:

SONOFABITCH NUX WAS THE FOOD WEEABO?? I knew he looked familiar.

what the gently caress I am having the same realization

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
He was also Renfield

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I feel an underrated line in The Menu is when Holt's character is forced to cook something and the head chef's just like "It's done? Are you sure? You don't want to force it through a Pacojet first?" taking the piss out of him namedropping the device to sound impressive.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nicholas Hoult is also the boy in About A Boy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What’s that movie about?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's about an hour and a half

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

This totally works for his character in The Great as well. Which is fantastic by the way

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Niric posted:

This totally works for his character in The Great as well. Which is fantastic by the way

We watched it alot and then it suddenly got to be boring, like out of nowhere. Dunno, but what we did watch was good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

A friend hadn't seen American Psycho so we watched it the other day.

I never noticed before, the knife on the cover isn't a reflection of Bateman; it's just a reflection of some other guy who looks a lot like him because these yuppie sociopaths are indistinguishable from one another

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
pretty sure that reflection is giga chad

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think it's supposed to be him, but it's a drawing rather than a render, so it's not a 100% likeness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's impressive to me is though the tie is different, they put him in the same pinstripe suit that's on the VERY different cover of the book :nws:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What's NWS about that cover? Before the movie that was just the cover of the book, in the UK anyway.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah I was about to post the same thing. It's a well known and cool piece of cover art.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
his head kinda looks like the head of a penis

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Compos Mentis posted:

___________________________/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Non Compos Mentis posted:

You should see a doctor about that.

Honestly, it's hilarious to hear that cover described as NWS when there's a copy of the book in the charity library at my employer's HQ.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Missed opportunity to tell Non Compos Mentis to turn on their monitor.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I think Nux talks about Valhalla being where you McFeast for eternity. Ouch.

Holy poo poo.

I can't find it through some cursory googling, but several years back, the Onion AV club had a series where a writer wrote about what he considered the best action movie of each year. When he wrote about Fury Road, he pointed out that the movie released at almost exactly the same time as Donald Trump's escalator ride announcing his campaign. The movie was written and filmed before anyone could predict Trumpism, but the similarities between Immortan Joe, his failsons, his cultists, and Donald Trump, the Trump boys, and American Trumpers are utterly staggering.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Absolutely. And people caught on to it, too. Note the date.

https://twitter.com/MeltdownComics/status/640962087326347264

There were also MAGA people (to use the term loosely) who posted images of Joe's convoy on social media with captions like "this is us coming for the polls" at which people with media literacy were like "uuuuhm guys?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My Lovely Horse posted:

There were also MAGA people (to use the term loosely) who posted images of Joe's convoy on social media with captions like "this is us coming for the polls" at which people with media literacy were like "uuuuhm guys?"

They did that a lot, they're dumb as gently caress

My favourite was when a MAGAt dressed up as The Homelander and the showrunner of The Boys plus Homelander himself ripped into them

Subtle movie moment: the Death Star was made by the bad guys

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I haven’t watched the Boys but I saw a dramatic clip of Antony Starr from that show and my goodness he kicks rear end at acting

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
modern conservatives skipped the "are we the baddies?" stage and kramered straight to "hell yeah we're the baddies"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

freeedr posted:

I haven’t watched the Boys but I saw a dramatic clip of Antony Starr from that show and my goodness he kicks rear end at acting

This is one show that I find is often TOO brutal to innocent characters, and I can't watch it.

The fact that Antony Starr sells it as well as he does is a big part of that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

freeedr posted:

He is exquisite. He's elevated the character beyond the comics and I can't get enough.

The fact that chuds think he's the hero is an endless source of lmaos from me.

Gen V, the spinoff show, is also quite good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've only ever seen the cover of American Psycho that had the yuppie on it, I didn't know the suddenly work safe version where he's got blood all over him was more commonplace and not worth tagging

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So a couple of days ago I was watching Twilight Zone with some friends and we got to It's a Good Life, you know, the one with the little boy who has godlike powers. I never understood where the social commentary was in that episode, the other ones were all very clear with their message but that one always just seemed like "Did you see that poo poo? Wild." Rod Serling even says at the end "No comment here. No comment at all."

Then somebody pointed out how much the setting looks like Leave it to Beaver, and that's when it clicked. It was satire of all those lovely saccharine tv shows that littered the airwaves in the 50s and 60s. A small town where nobody ever leaves and nobody new ever arrives, everything is good and nobody ever says or even thinks a negative thought, and the whole town knows and loves this one little boy

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

So a couple of days ago I was watching Twilight Zone with some friends and we got to It's a Good Life, you know, the one with the little boy who has godlike powers. I never understood where the social commentary was in that episode, the other ones were all very clear with their message but that one always just seemed like "Did you see that poo poo? Wild." Rod Serling even says at the end "No comment here. No comment at all."

Then somebody pointed out how much the setting looks like Leave it to Beaver, and that's when it clicked. It was satire of all those lovely saccharine tv shows that littered the airwaves in the 50s and 60s. A small town where nobody ever leaves and nobody new ever arrives, everything is good and nobody ever says or even thinks a negative thought, and the whole town knows and loves this one little boy

And I personally extrapolate from that the all consuming misery of catering to the small town perspective so thoroughly, which is what mass media can do. It gives a strange power to a specific way of life and calcifies things into a rather banal little hellscape.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

its about the aristocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

scary ghost dog posted:

its about the aristocracy

Same poo poo, really. Catering to a single arbitrary figure's every whim at the expense of all else inevitably turning into a living nightmare for all involved while said figure inevitably becomes a grotesque parody of themselves.