Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

In the Reddit thread some E175 pilots said that it works in the sim but I believe this is well into what computer folk would call “undefined behavior”

It specifically says they were at cruise altitude when the rear end in a top hat tried it, so they'd definitely have had plenty of altitude to try a windmill restart, but the problem with restarting two engines that have just been disabled in *this* situation is that you still have a crazy and/or suicidal rear end in a top hat in the cockpit with you. That's going to seriously complicate reopening the fuel and hydraulic valves which are closed/disabled when you pull the handles, managing the whole "ladies and gentlemen, as some of you no doubt just noticed, it got really quiet all of a sudden" thing, and keeping the jumpseat jackass from doing something even more dangerous.

The scariest thing about this is that I'm sure enabling the extinguishers was just the *first step*.

I can't help but wonder if this is going to put the kibosh on jumpseating for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They were another horizon pilot so maybe, maybe not.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Riding in an airport shuttle to Dulles this morning I heard the saddest thing. A first officer in the shuttle mentioned he had gone to the Air & Space museum in DC and was bumper it wasn't fully open yet, but when I asked him in a quiet lull if he'd also gone to the Udvar-Hazy Annex, he asked "what's that?"

...he'd been staying at the Dulles Hilton. You could practically walk/jog to it from the hotel. :cripes:

Udvar-Hazy is so badly under-advertised, I was riding cross-country and stopped at the one on the Mall, thought "this is cool, but pretty light on the hardware." There should be a giant flashing sign saying "we have a fuckin' Space Shuttle and SR-71 out by Dulles"

hobbesmaster posted:

They were apparently scheduled to fly out of SFO. They're getting the book thrown at them though https://abcnews.go.com/US/alaska-airlines-flight-diverted-after-credible-security-threat/story?id=104223059

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Elviscat posted:

They were apparently scheduled to fly out of SFO. They're getting the book thrown at them though https://abcnews.go.com/US/alaska-airlines-flight-diverted-after-credible-security-threat/story?id=104223059

83 counts of attempted murder is one hell of a rap sheet.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

thats one hell of a price for giving in to the little "just push the big red button" voice

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

thats one hell of a price for giving in to the little "just push the big red button" voice

We've all thought about it......

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m not sure why he’d try it when it was one versus two in the cockpit, but he’s not right in the head so maybe we’ll never get a clearer answer than that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
At the end of the day, we're all still living in HellWorld, but at least today didn't end with an unholy mash-up of FedEx 705 and Germanwings 9525.

I'd call that a win. :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Correction: they were an Alaska 737 pilot.

Platystemon posted:

I’m not sure why he’d try it when it was one versus two in the cockpit, but he’s not right in the head so maybe we’ll never get a clearer answer than that.

Perhaps a dark one lies under a Horizon ramp in Seattle and is slowly regaining power…

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Elviscat posted:

Udvar-Hazy is so badly under-advertised, I was riding cross-country and stopped at the one on the Mall, thought "this is cool, but pretty light on the hardware." There should be a giant flashing sign saying "we have a fuckin' Space Shuttle and SR-71 out by Dulles"

I mean even that undersells it.

It's a place, where you can stand in one spot and see, all under 1 roof:

SR-71
Space Shuttle
Enola Gay
707 Prototype
Concorde

Even that is a drop in the bucket.

I've been there twice, the first was in 2004 and that was before the Space Shuttle wing was done. The Enterprise was there then, but you couldn't enter the area, only view from a distance. I have pictures of the section of the wing they removed for impact testing following the Columbia disaster.

I went back in 2019 and got a lot of nice pictures of Discovery and just spent a few hours there roaming around. Massively underrated.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 23, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cactus Ghost posted:

l'appel du vide

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Ostensibly cockpit audio of the Horizon flight. Doesn't include the fight over the levers, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbU6E6VJx30

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I went back in 2019 and got a lot of nice pictures of Discovery and just spent a few hours there roaming around. Massively underrated.

Got one of my favorite pics of my older daughter there

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 23, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vorkosigan posted:

Got one of my favorite pics of my older daughter there

That is a very cool picture!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Boom Supersonic apparently A) still exists and 2) has been buying ad space on my Instagram feed to show off taxi tests and stuff they "just completed" with the xb-1 but apparently that thing has been taxi testing for over a year based on searches lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Life’s a lot harder for the vaporware industry since you can’t just give the Popular Science editor a couple bumps of coke to hype up your company in next month’s issue anymore

Targeted advertising is killing everything

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Spaced God posted:

Boom Supersonic apparently A) still exists and 2) has been buying ad space on my Instagram feed to show off taxi tests and stuff they "just completed" with the xb-1 but apparently that thing has been taxi testing for over a year based on searches lol

Hard tech is hard.

When I was raising money for my not-hard-tech startup some years ago I had a meeting with a lawyer/potential angel who proceeded to tell us how our legal tech thing wasnt gonna work and how he only invests in things like SpinLaunch. ISpin Launch had NOTHING at the time and the leadership team looked loving stupid. 'm a Mech E and come from the aerospace industry and at the time that was the most preposterous thing I'd ever been told in my mind. After walking out I personally cursed SpinLaunch as the stupidest loving idea. Today, SpinLaunch are in sorta the same state as Boom. They've made the hard but still not full scale test bed validator, but arent ready to build the real product yet.

Still, I gotta hand it to Boom and *spits* SpinLaunch. They've actually built ~something~. Its not really vaporware if they actually spend the vast majority of money designing and building the systems.

I've been part of flight tests for military programs. They are insanely expensive and potentially life or death. A year of ground testing doesnt seem surprising for a new build aircraft. There also a ton of regulatory stuff for systems testing with the FCC, the FFA and FCC wouldnt give us clearance to turn on certain RF systems within the timeline of the R&D part so they couldnt get tested until the integrated system got to ground test.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 23, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spaced God posted:

I was absolutely amazed that they actually built a sub scale testbed. I was like 99% sure they were a VC-funded leisure project.

CarForumPoster posted:

Still, I gotta hand it to Boom and *spits* SpinLaunch. They've actually built ~something~. It’s not really vaporware if they actually spend the vast majority of money designing and building the systems.

But this too. I’m still super skeptical, but a small part of me is definitely cheering them on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have a friend who works at Boom. He was tired of working in windowless secure rooms all day at a large defense contractor. Boom is actually more stable than the previous aerospace startup he worked at.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

has there been any word about what that giant carbon double c5 in mohave is gonna do

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cactus Ghost posted:

has there been any word about what that giant carbon double c5 in mohave is gonna do

Fighter Pilot Podcast actually just did an episode about it (the Stratolaunch Roc), they're now angling to do hypersonic test vehicle launches for the DOD.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

smackfu posted:

I have a friend who works at Boom. He was tired of working in windowless secure rooms all day at a large defense contractor. Boom is actually more stable than the previous aerospace startup he worked at.

I really, really want Boom to be a real successful thing. I have no expectations it will be, but I WANT TO BELIEVE.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Any chance you live in whereabouts of North VA or such...? 'cause I can't think of why else they would be buying ads...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

OddObserver posted:

Any chance you live in whereabouts of North VA or such...? 'cause I can't think of why else they would be buying ads...

The reason you think
Recruiting
They hired an ad agency and the agency sucks

EDIT: To be fair it takes years to get people to trust aircraft, so if they want people to ride on them they probably need to market to whoever might be an early adopter. Anyone who posts about planes is reasonably in that cohort.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 24, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mllaneza posted:

83 counts of attempted murder is one hell of a rap sheet.

Aeronautical Insanity: 83 counts of attempted murder

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Got me thinkin' about our family trip to Udvar-Hazy in 2005:

They had the Mothership model from Close Encounters of the Third Kind on display. All those vertical tubes started life as HO-scale tanker cars. Apparently has over a mile of fiber-optic cable inside to light it.

...which is loaded with what we now call Easter eggs:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I found R2D2 too!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
There’s a whole bunch of HO rail couplers in those pictures. It’s gotta be the most elaborate kitbash of all time

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Nah I'm in Miami but I have enough "failed out of aerospace school" still left over in my algorithm to feed me those ads

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

If you want an idea of how cramped the E175 flight deck was with the jump seat in use, skip to 2:45 and pan around: https://youtu.be/Dnmke9gPOAk

Also, the jump seat seems to fully block and bar the door when it's deployed, so that's an extra layer to this whole thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s that old joke about a computer flying the plane and a dog trained to bite the human if they make a move for the controls.

Maybe we ought to consider training some dogs.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

smackfu posted:

I should hope it’s stable, it’s still testing with wheels on the ground.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I live ~10min from Udvar-Hazy and I've been there too many times to count, most recently on Saturday, and it's cool how the place is so big that they're still able to add stuff to the collection year after year.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Jump Seat

He had been awake for 40 hours, tripping on psychedelic mushrooms for the first time ever. He thought he was asleep and pulling the handles would wake him up.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Just so many bad decisions

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pylotes on Reddit (I used that spelling with intention) say that they wouldn’t be happy about the experience, but they seem confident that the engines would have restarted.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

Pylotes on Reddit (I used that spelling with intention) say that they wouldn’t be happy about the experience, but they seem confident that the engines would have restarted.

Glad we didn't need to find out.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wombot posted:

He had been awake for 40 hours, tripping on psychedelic mushrooms for the first time ever. He thought he was asleep and pulling the handles would wake him up.

So... It's probably good that he got himself arrested rather than end up flying?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Wombot posted:

loving light weight /s

I'm an advocate for doing some psychedelics at least once. Man, do it right. Have an experienced guide. Be in a good place to do it. Be in agreement on that poo poo. It can be real fun, and real good for the "structure". Maybe don't operate heavy equipment, or be in a position to. It ain't hard. Make time.

That said, MSFS on acid is grooooovy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Blankolirio has a good video on this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_WIE3Yokg

Sounds like the guy was suffering from depression, didn't get professional help, and decided to self-medicate.