Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

In what industry? If I caught someone using ChatGPT in aerospace I would seriously consider firing them.

same in any field of manufacturing
it's not hard to spot GPT, either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

MrQwerty posted:

same in any field of manufacturing
it's not hard to spot GPT, either

I would imagine it's easy to spot because it won't use all of the appropriate shibboleths for that industry/ company.

That or I've already been tricked, lmao.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

With regards to the Old Vs Young knowing how to do things:

I don't know jack poo poo about actually fixing a car. I do however know what an alternator is, difference between fuel injected or a carb, the stages of combustion, the parts of the engine associated with that.

I think we as a society have gotten use to computers being a toy and a distraction, and not a tool. You should know how any tool works before using it. Or atleast have an understanding of how the tool you are using performs its task.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

GolfHole posted:

so many younger workers just use chatgpt to do their jobs.

either for writing emails or copy, or to come up with project outlilnes, diagrams, or documents, or for solutions to problems like the one you suggest.

i keep wondering if i should curtail it in any way but it does seem to work

Nah if they’re massaging good stuff from chatGPT that’s great. I mentioned the csv -> ftp thing because it’s a workflow that just won’t die and I’ve seen it in use in a variety of situations and it sucks so if you could get away with changing it, it’d already be changed.

The best chatgpt is going to do is explain how to use ftp and how the filesystem works.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I would imagine it's easy to spot because it won't use all of the appropriate shibboleths for that industry/ company.

I got a history degree and spent years of my life doing nothing but reading, GPT looks exactly like what it is if you're not using it as a template that you are about to heavily edit.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

mawarannahr posted:

Dungeon Raid was like the only iOS game i liked and it's been gone for years, I think it never made the jump to 64 bit.

:mad:

i had a p much perpetual game going that i can't access any more :(

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Enfys posted:

I decided to check out Duolingo again and discovered that they are replacing the native speakers who used to voice languages with AI that "constructs" the pronunciations.

After spending the past week with it, the pronunciations are absolutely dire and don't match any dialect :negative: It's never exactly been a great way to learn language on its own, but now it's actively harmful (for a non-romance language, maybe something like Spanish is better but I have my doubts)

lmao

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Flickr is has been dead for as long as this forum but has lots of great high res landscape photos (if you wade through the dreck) and lets you specifically search for results that are released under a creative commons license
Thank you.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

MrQwerty posted:

I got a history degree and spent years of my life doing nothing but reading, GPT looks exactly like what it is if you're not using it as a template that you are about to heavily edit.

I asked ChatGPT to make me a cover letter once. I spent more time finessing the prompt, then editing and re-writing the results, than I would have spent just writing it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ghost emoji posted:

I asked ChatGPT to make me a cover letter once. I spent more time finessing the prompt, then editing and re-writing the results, than I would have spent just writing it.

I've used it for some creative writing exercises and it's fun for that. I've tested it for professional use and it was pretty much the same as if I just got drunk as gently caress, wrote a bunch of stuff and then had to edit the poo poo out of it into a rewrite the next day - except it was more stiff and unnatural.
I'm very much against use of GPT in any form of writing, especially professional writing, outside workshopping stuff. I've seen some real illiterate SOPs that are probably still better than what GPT could do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cerekk posted:

Flickr is has been dead for as long as this forum but has lots of great high res landscape photos (if you wade through the dreck) and lets you specifically search for results that are released under a creative commons license

Also check out interfacelift.com

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hey folks, just dusted off my detective hat and magnifying glass because it's time for another edition of "The Decline Chronicles." 🕵️‍♂️✨

🚀 Once upon a time, everything was smooth sailing in the kingdom of Quality. But hold on to your hats, because I've noticed a trend: things getting shadier without any justifiable reason! 🎭

📱 Exhibit A: Phone Batteries 📉
Remember when your phone could last a whole day without gasping for charging? Now, it's like it's doing a sprint instead of a marathon. Did batteries suddenly forget how to hold a charge, or are they just trying to keep up with our fast-paced lives?

🍟 Exhibit B: Potato Chips Bags 🥔
Let's talk snack-sized betrayal. Have you opened a bag of chips lately and felt like you were purchasing air with a side of disappointment? The air-to-chip ratio has hit unprecedented levels. I miss the days when my chips weren't playing hide and seek in a bag.

🌐 Exhibit C: Internet Speeds 🌐
The internet used to be the speedster of information highways. Now, it sometimes moves at the pace of a tortoise on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Did the data decide to take a detour through the scenic route? We just want our memes and cat videos, ASAP.

🚗 Exhibit D: Car Cup Holders 🥤
Cars have evolved, but cup holders seem to be stuck in the past. Why is it that a simple beverage holder can't accommodate anything larger than a mini soda? Are they in cahoots with spill stains? We demand cup holder justice!

🍕 Exhibit E: Pizza Slice Sizes 🍕
Pizza slices used to be a substantial meal. Nowadays, it feels like they're on a diet. Did pepperoni and cheese get more expensive, or are we just being served pizza on a diet plan?

So, there you have it—my detective dossier on the mysterious decline of everyday things. Is it a conspiracy, a cosmic joke, or just the universe's way of keeping us on our toes? 🤔 Keep your eyes peeled, detectives, because the next chapter of "The Decline Chronicles" might just unfold in your hands (or cup holders) soon! 🔍📉✨

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hey folks, just dusted off my detective hat and magnifying glass because it's time for another edition of "The Decline Chronicles." 🕵️‍♂️✨

🚀 Once upon a time, everything was smooth sailing in the kingdom of Quality. But hold on to your hats, because I've noticed a trend: things getting shadier without any justifiable reason! 🎭

Remember when your phone could last a whole day without gasping for charging? Now, it's like it's doing a sprint instead of a marathon. Did batteries suddenly forget how to hold a charge, or are they just trying to keep up with our fast-paced lives?

Let's talk snack-sized betrayal. Have you opened a bag of chips lately and felt like you were purchasing air with a side of disappointment? The air-to-chip ratio has hit unprecedented levels. I miss the days when my chips weren't playing hide and seek in a bag.

The internet used to be the speedster of information highways. Now, it sometimes moves at the pace of a tortoise on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Did the data decide to take a detour through the scenic route? We just want our memes and cat videos, ASAP.

Cars have evolved, but cup holders seem to be stuck in the past. Why is it that a simple beverage holder can't accommodate anything larger than a mini soda? Are they in cahoots with spill stains? We demand cup holder justice!

Pizza slices used to be a substantial meal. Nowadays, it feels like they're on a diet. Did pepperoni and cheese get more expensive, or are we just being served pizza on a diet plan?

So, there you have it—my detective dossier on the mysterious decline of everyday things. Is it a conspiracy, a cosmic joke, or just the universe's way of keeping us on our toes? 🤔 Keep your eyes peeled, detectives, because the next chapter of "The Decline Chronicles" might just unfold in your hands (or cup holders) soon! 🔍📉✨

I read this whole thing in the voice of gossip girl xoxo

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Virigoth posted:

I read this whole thing in the voice of gossip girl xoxo

I read it in the Tiktok lady voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74jfnTczdG4

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I hope that was chatgpt, because if not, your writing style makes me want to bite things.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Atopian posted:

I hope that was chatgpt, because if not, your writing style makes me want to bite things.

it was

I just gave it the thread title

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Fried Watermelon posted:

it was

It could have been a pencilhands thread

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I read that all in Andy Rooney’s voice

E.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol if you don't read every piece of text in Fragmaster's voice from the final fantasy review

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Grocery store now price tags things with a "member's club" price instead of the real price, which is much greater and nowhere to be found. How do you become a member? You don't. A process to apply doesn't exist. There is no club. They made it the gently caress up. Now every shopping trip involves 90% of my poo poo being put back because I'm not going to pay $6 for a can of condensed tomato soup with a tag that says 55 cents.

The person in front of me in line just now paid $1100 for their cart of groceries without thinking, so I guess it works.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Grocery store now price tags things with a "member's club" price instead of the real price, which is much greater and nowhere to be found. How do you become a member? You don't. A process to apply doesn't exist. There is no club. They made it the gently caress up. Now every shopping trip involves 90% of my poo poo being put back because I'm not going to pay $6 for a can of condensed tomato soup with a tag that says 55 cents.

The person in front of me in line just now paid $1100 for their cart of groceries without thinking, so I guess it works.

Lmao this has to be illegal. (It definitely is in my state)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dip Viscous posted:

:vince: :piaa:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Leave the cart full of stuff or just toss it somewhere

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fried Watermelon posted:

it was

It's not wrong tho

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Leave the cart full of stuff or just toss it somewhere

I do. The people that hide entire frozen turkeys in housewares suddenly started making a lot more sense.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kagrenak posted:

Lmao this has to be illegal. (It definitely is in my state)

The fine probably hasn't been adjusted since the Korean War so they'll be really hurting with that 400 dollar fine.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dip Viscous posted:

Where is this?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tarkus posted:

Where is this?

Hy-Vee, a Midwestern US chain. I've been to more than one location and they all pull this.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Brother Tadger posted:

I read that all in Andy Rooney’s voice

E.

who?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dip Viscous posted:

:hai:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, I googled it and Hy-Vee's membership is 12.95 a month or 99/year and there's a clear sign up link. Maybe it's a dead link if you try to go through with it?

https://www.hy-vee.com/plus

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Plus is a totally separate program that fucks you on gasoline prices.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
It's probably an individual store (or store manager) being lovely as opposed to a franchise-wide thing.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Kroger does the same poo poo with their price tags, but you can just type in your area code and 867-5309 and get the “discounted” price if you don’t want an account

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
That sucks, I've never seen a price disparity between the regular and "club" price so big before.

Out of the three grocery store chains near me (Price Chopper/Market 32, Shaw's, and Hannaford) the first two have the "Price Club"/member price thing, but it's free to join, just accept that you'll be feeding "The Beast" with your grocery data and whatnot.

Hannaford must be one of the last holdouts to just do "no memberships, everyone pays the same price." I mean...they HAVE a membership thingy, but it's just for the occasional targeted coupon book mailed to you or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I got my Safeway club card their system was down so they just handed me the card without taking any personal info, it ruled.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

skooma512 posted:

The fine probably hasn't been adjusted since the Korean War so they'll be really hurting with that 400 dollar fine.

In MA it's $100/item scanned at a higher price than displayed on shelves if determined by inspection (either scheduled or in response to consumer reporting) and if a consumer points out the discrepancy at the register the store must then:

quote:

if there is a discrepancy between the advertised price, the sticker price, the scanner price or the display price and the checkout price on any grocery item, a food store or a food department shall charge a consumer the lowest price. If the checkout price or scanner price is not the lowest price or does not reflect any qualifying discount, the seller:

shall not charge the consumer for 1 unit of the grocery item, if the lowest price is $10 or
shall charge the consumer the lowest price less $10 for 1 unit of the grocery item, if the lowest price is more than $10
shall charge the consumer the lowest price for each additional unit

The fine is pretty bullshit low but somewhere consistently mismarking items could lose a lot of money very quickly on this part off it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My main issue at the grocery store (Kroger) is them having items without any displayed price. One shelf will just not have the price tags on it. You can see the markings on here so they can stock them but whatever strip they put over that with today's prices is missing. I've decided not to get a few items since I didn't know if it was going to be a $2 or $8 item.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Especially as they could be anything. Two qfc stores 30 miles from each other 9 bucks for shin black at one 16 for it at the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Nine bucks for shin black? Wtf