Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Namnesor posted:

Time to get decoratin'.

A more proper(?) version of this, perhaps with actual functionality, is on the "To be added" list Grok has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A more proper(?) version of this, perhaps with actual functionality, is on the "To be added" list Grok has.

Yeah, I noticed a "proper" release pop up on moddb and swapped it out and currently functionality is exactly the same. Hopefully Grok's working with Maid and Haruka to get it all in there.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Another sorta newbie trap in the tutorial is the anomalous bread that spawns in the anomaly/artifact portion.

moot the hopple posted:

the Zone exists to bring you pain :allears:

I see what you did there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fall Dog posted:

I see what you did there.

took me a moment, very good

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I recently upgraded to a g-sync OLED monitor and im running into a flickering issue in gamma. It’s particularly noticeable in dark scenes but only when g-sync is on; it goes away when I turn it off. Is there any way to resolve this and still use g-sync or is it just a known issue that they don’t work well together?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Pikey posted:

I recently upgraded to a g-sync OLED monitor and im running into a flickering issue in gamma. It’s particularly noticeable in dark scenes but only when g-sync is on; it goes away when I turn it off. Is there any way to resolve this and still use g-sync or is it just a known issue that they don’t work well together?

It's not a problem with G.A.M.M.A it's a problem with gamma. :haw:

No but seriously google OLED VRR gamma issue. The technologies don't work well together in dark scenes.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

What's the best source for GAMMA download? Googling found a few different sources, and most appear to be updated recently-ish.

e: Also, OP hasn't been updated in a decade. Ha.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

fennesz posted:

What's the best source for GAMMA download? Googling found a few different sources, and most appear to be updated recently-ish.

e: Also, OP hasn't been updated in a decade. Ha.

The usual way is to download it via the GAMMA Discord. There's also a guide for the somewhat-involved installation process.

This should take you there, so let me know if I goofed it up.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Pikey posted:

Same here, I think it's just more noticeable than other games because the frame pacing is all over the place. Only thing to do is turn off g-sync or cap your fps.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fall Dog posted:

The usual way is to download it via the GAMMA Discord. There's also a guide for the somewhat-involved installation process.

This should take you there, so let me know if I goofed it up.

It did. Cheers :cheers:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
First time I ever thought I'd use this word in the context of The Zone, but this is downright comfy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Love the adidas bedsheets

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Living large with a hotplate and a bed that's not just a bare mattress on the floor.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The nomogram really pulls the room together.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The nomogram really pulls the room together.

I wish it was a separate prop, but sadly it's part of that little spot at Butcher's place in Garbage.

I'm about ready to move my operations to the Freedom base in the Army Warehouses, which gives me a lot more room to work with. And I can save on heating by setting up in that one building with the permanent flame anomaly in the corner!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Moving into a new spot with a rattling footlocker full of artifacts and hoping your new bunkmates don't mind all the reality distorting phenomena occuring by their sleeping spots

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's the Freedom base, they're probably all so high they don't even get nightmares from sleeping next to artifacts anymore.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Let he who has never ground up a Jellyfish and snorted it cast the first stone.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Home sweet home.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
What RESHADE presents are y'all using right now? I'm trying to make this as pretty as possible, it looks incredible on my new display. Currently running AtmosR++; I like a little more saturated, colorful zone.

Also, watching Drewskie's stalker gamma videos he has a lot of animations I don't in my game. Specifically things like opening his pack and the knife coming out when he skins an animal. Is there a way to enable these?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pikey posted:

What RESHADE presents are y'all using right now? I'm trying to make this as pretty as possible, it looks incredible on my new display. Currently running AtmosR++; I like a little more saturated, colorful zone.

Also, watching Drewskie's stalker gamma videos he has a lot of animations I don't in my game. Specifically things like opening his pack and the knife coming out when he skins an animal. Is there a way to enable these?

I'm using GAMMA's default, which I think is just AtmosR, but I turn my saturation up to 1.3.

The extra animations are FDDA animations, and are disabled by default to minimize the chance of encountering the busy hands bug, which effectively softlocks your save file by breaking your ability to do... basically anything.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

Namnesor posted:

I'm using GAMMA's default, which I think is just AtmosR, but I turn my saturation up to 1.3.

The extra animations are FDDA animations, and are disabled by default to minimize the chance of encountering the busy hands bug, which effectively softlocks your save file by breaking your ability to do... basically anything.

How do you adjust the saturation?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pikey posted:

How do you adjust the saturation?

Once you're loaded into the Zone (not just at the main menu), go to Settings -> Visual -> Basic -> select the Basic Light Settings button, change Saturation (and anything else there you'd like), then hit Escape.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

a) this is super cozy b) I know the odds are super low but it would hardly be the craziest STALKER mod thing; does the time on the VCR change?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

aniviron posted:

a) this is super cozy b) I know the odds are super low but it would hardly be the craziest STALKER mod thing; does the time on the VCR change?

Sure does!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mod of the year.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I haven’t really played STALKER before and picked up GAMMA recently. It’s taken a bit to get my head wrapped around the mechanics, mostly the crafting, weapon and armor repair, but as I start to understand it more I really see the draw of the mod pack. The game definitely has its hooks in me in a way that not many RPGs of tbd style do. I’m still mostly just bumming around Cordon and the Meadows completing tasks and figuring stuff out. Shotguns own and I feel pretty competent fighting against bandits and other human AI but as soon as I get 3 boars charging at me there’s a good chance im eating poo poo.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Even deep into the mid game boars can be savage. GAMMA strikes this really nice balance where the progression curve is slow enough and substantial enough that as you get better gear you definitely feel stronger and can take more on but you’re never completely safe, and more importantly you never feel safe. If you’re not paying attention a few cats or a few boars can ruin your day no matter what you’re running.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Honestly I think the difficulty of the "basic" mutants is unreasonable. I would much rather encounter a couple of controllers or pseudogiants in Cordon than a pack of 5 boars or even cats. Even chimeras can be dodged indefinitely.

Even with the best possible gear the nightmare scenario is to turn a corner or crest a hill and encounter 5 boars. You are pretty much dead unless you can jump on top of something or happen to be lugging around a M249 SAW loaded with 100 rounds of HP ammo.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I am normally stingy with grenades but if I see more than one cat at a time, they are eating some frag

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cats and boars are actually one of the reasons I’ve become such a convert to carrying a couple 60rnd mags of 545HP for my AEK, sure they’re less effective than other options per bullet, but I’ve got a lot, they’re reasonably cheap and available in bulk, and my AEK has excellent range and RoF.

The fact HP is also surprisingly effective on most SIN* is just a bonus.

* except for the ones wearing good armor instead of relying on their magic damage reduction.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Its a testament to the game that, "Ok, go kill a bunch of those mutant pigs" preps you for getting clowned repetedly, and "ok, I need to headshot those specific sin guys, and the rest should be less trouble, oh poo poo boars, i'm hosed *chaos ensues*" is a thing. they are not especially op, and you can even take them down with a knife, but you need to be in the headspace for killing boars pigs or dogs, and its very different from killing humans.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's finally happened.

With the latest Anomaly demonized exes, the mouse wheel defaults to non-inverted. I just tested it out and everything felt slightly more right with the world.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
drat, modders truly dragging the X-ray engine into the modern day, bit by bit

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sixteen years of conditioning is hard to undo, I often times will still scroll wheel down to zoom in and it takes a beat to remember, and in the case that I actually initially scroll wheel up to zoom in it's usually by accident and I'm surprised by it.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I managed to get all the way through Misery 2, up until the finale where you escape to the helicopters. I could not manage to keep Strelok alive, nor myself, and making saves through the mission seemed to always get corrupted into crash-game-while-loading. I have given up on officially completing Misery and will consider this a success. It was ultimately pretty fun after getting through the learning curve.

Now I'm on to Anomaly 1.5.1 (no additional mods, yet) for the very first time, I really appreciate how simple the download/extract/run process was. I've started as a loner, managed to accidentally catch a bullet or two from Fanatic in the intro mission because i got between him and a boar, and completed my first "shoot mutants" mission afterwards. I like how appreciably different it is so far, also thanks Sidorovich for giving me two missions in the Army Warehouses immediately, that will definitely not be a long and arduous journey with my MP5 and leather jacket. I also definitely did not buy a suppressor only to discover that i need to spend another 3k to modify my MP5 to accept it. Such is life in the zone.

The game-starting menu is really neat, pretty cool to give you options on weapons and some basic starting equipment. The Inventory system is really nice, the PDA animations are super awesome, as are the extra UI features like bleeding, radiation, cleaning your mask, lowering your weapon, etc. It feels really polished. The x64 engine is a noticeable improvement after spending so much time recently in CoP.

Question: what's the orange status bar next to health and stamina?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume brain/psy health, anomaly tracks that too though the hud did not have any orange elements last time I played it.

Your brain grows back very fast considering but if it gets too low you will blow your own head off at which point your brain ceases to grow back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that the special psy-protective hat is a plot element only and does not provide protection against anything except the two specific plot things it protects against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Ah right, that makes sense. Kinda forgot about psy health since misery seemed to completely remove it (or at least just hide it from you).

I’ve managed to complete enough work to buy a sunrise suit and a headlamp, huzzah. The zone started out pretty sparse for the first day or two but it’s now starting to get more active. I accidentally gunned down two loners but it was their own fault for wearing bandit colours :shuckyes:

One thing I’ve noticed is that when you manage to “surprise” an enemy group they seem to stand around for a while before going aggro, is this an intentional functionality? It makes sense I suppose, but I’m used to standard Stalker where everyone aggros at the sound of a snapped twig.