Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

shoeberto posted:

:yeah:

I'm just getting to the last deck in the Shock remake and the game is much longer than I expected, but also, I have never gotten bored with it. Tbh I think there's more of System Shock's DNA in Dark Souls than I realized. Just a totally satisfying gameplay loop, death runs and all.

I'm a firm believer that there's System Shock's DNA running through just about every modern game that isn't like, an RTS or turn based RPG. The GOAT Doug Church practically invented the formula for the modern action adventure template and every game after that has been following in its footsteps, whether the developers are aware or not. And the original game STILL smokes a lot of modern games in terms of pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Groovelord Neato posted:

After finishing the System Shock remake all I wanted was more dungeon crawlers on space ships/stations.

gently caress it, The Screamer remake

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Whale's Journey kex engine edition

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SCheeseman posted:

System Shock 2's soundtrack was always divisive. Can't for the life of my understand why though, it's one of my favourite OSTs. More spooky sci-fi games should use DnB in their soundtracks.

I love the soundtrack, but also turning it off and going with just the ambient sounds works really, really good too. Sound design in that game is great, I cannot fault anyone for going with either option.

Groovelord Neato posted:

After finishing the System Shock remake all I wanted was more dungeon crawlers on space ships/stations.

I came to this conclusion when they announced the new Marathon. I think I came up with System Shock meets Rendezvous with Rama for what I'd like to see.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jennell Jaquays, Quake 2 level designer and Burger Becky’s (Rebecca Heineman of Doom porting legendary) wife, is facing huge medical bills after being on a ventilator due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome: https://www.gofundme.com/f/jennell-jaquays-has-a-long-road-back

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Thanks for the heads-up. She was always super engaged/helpful with us back during the early days of Q3 community mapping and modding.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2411790/AMYGDALA_Prelude/

This is the first time I've seen a new game accurately replicate the look of early 2000's shooters.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000
There are some halloween deals on the Nintendo eShop that include:
The new Quake 2 remaster ($3.99) https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/quake-ii-switch/
Doom Eternal ($15.99): https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/doom-eternal-switch/

Alien Isolation and RE4 are also in there, as well.

I was waiting for a sale for Quake 2 and this was a great price.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

- Hot drat, the Quake 2 remaster is great. Sunk a few hours into it and I'm really digging it. I can see how its not thought of as iconic as the first game's bizarre clusterfuck of environments and that telltale PLINK-PLINK of a bouncing grenade but... this is just solid meat and potatoes shooting.

- Do we have a release date for the Dark Forces remaster?

- Absolutely nothing guts me harder than Vicarious Visions (Tony Hawk Remaster) and Toys for Bob (Crash 4) being sent to the Call of Duty coal mines. Hope they can at least commiserate with the Raven team down there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Sometime next year. Nothing more specific yet.

Narcissus1916 posted:

- Absolutely nothing guts me harder than Vicarious Visions (Tony Hawk Remaster) and Toys for Bob (Crash 4) being sent to the Call of Duty coal mines. Hope they can at least commiserate with the Raven team down there.
Vicarious Visions were actually merged into Blizzard, becoming their Albany NY studio at the height of all the Everything that was going on there and tasked with Diablo 4 Stuff after they did the Diablo 2 remaster.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

@Rocket Pan:

Came back home after some time and booted Quake 2 on PS5 with a keyboard and mouse plugged and binding was flawless! I don't know why launch day was funky and then played a bit with controller but this is my setup for kb+m on PS5/Series S (that is hiding behind the TV lol):

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

not to belabor the point but it’s still weird to me that they finally walked back the sp railgun nerf in the q2 remaster, but not all the way

it was mentioned that someone at id requested it but it still doesn’t sit super well with me with something called a remaster. like, the id of 1997 explicitly picked those values and had many opportunities to change it. the railgun is insanely overpowered because it’s like the one small joy in the otherwise anemic arsenal 😞 and like, it’s surely not the same person at id who made the decision originally, right? who was even in charge creatively, john carmack.. tim willits lol

for whatever reason (that i’m sure was well discussed back then) that part of the game is intended to be a power trip with a lot of railgun ammo — to the point they wrote an exception for how much damage the railgun should do in sp, and placed the overly abundant ammo by hand. almost the only thing anyone remembers about q2 is how cool the railgun is. it’s like nerfing red armor and the rl in quake, or the ssg in doom 2. like yeah they’re disproportionately good but that’s why they own! even just shaving off some damage the way it is currently is still kind of a bummer

vanquished boner fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 23, 2023

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they buff the chaingun and hyperblaster to compensate? I managed to shred just about anything in the game with those.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, I think those were always ridiculously OP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I can't really say that the Quake 2 arsenal is anemic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Every weapon in q2 is perfectly usable other than the starter pistol. Beyond that, I dunno, the bfg doesn't have many places where it shines outside of the machine games missions and the rocket launcher is relatively weak I guess. I agree that the railgun nerf went too far but I don't think it's that big of a deal and it still has utility as a sniper weapon.

edit if you're counting the expansions then that plasma beam actively sucks and is a waste of good cells.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 23, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I mostly used it on the annoying flying fucks that show up in the late game and are all over the expansions.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

Vicarious Visions were actually merged into Blizzard, becoming their Albany NY studio at the height of all the Everything that was going on there and tasked with Diablo 4 Stuff after they did the Diablo 2 remaster.

That's both better and far worse :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Railgun nerf was hosed up. All devs must hang

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I can't really say that the Quake 2 arsenal is anemic.

Yea this seems like a weird thing to say. I mean, sure - the Shotgun and Machine Gun weren't exactly super awesome, but they were never meant to be.

You've got a SSG with fuckloads of oomf, a Chaingun that shreds harder than Doom 2, a bouncy Grenade Launcher with more control than Q1, and a BFG10k. I think people are still annoyed that the Rocket Launcher was still nerfed so hard from Q1.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I used the RL more for movement lol. It's not the worst I've ever used though. I think it just sounds piddly

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Trepang 2 is getting some free stuff soon (Endless Mode, New Maps, Halloween Cheats, Forgetting To Install CS Source...) and some not free stuff in the nigh future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bie_pqmmFw0

Gloomwood also has a new update coming this week that adds togglable Seasonal Content in the form of everyone's favorite Halloween staple: Turnips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzMSO8Oowg

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I still need to pick up Trepang at some point, but I just started a replay of Cyberpunk with Phantom Liberty, so that'll have to wait a while.

Just because I could I downloaded the Shadowrun FPS , because there's apparently still a community on PC playing, and it's still pretty good for what it tried to be. I got back into Counter-Strike earlier this year, and "CS with tech and magic" was a pretty novel idea. I don't know why MS didn't officially rerelease it on PC when they did for Xbox (oh wait, I know, GFWL died horribly), because it'd probably be appreciated a lot more today.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

The Kins posted:

Gloomwood also has a new update coming this week that adds togglable Seasonal Content in the form of everyone's favorite Halloween staple: Turnips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzMSO8Oowg

I see they're returning jack-o-lanterns to their roots... literally!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've had Gloomwood forever, but still haven't played it. Just seems like one of those games that you REALLY want to wait until it hits 1.0 to experience all the way through.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Kins posted:

Sometime next year. Nothing more specific yet.
Oop! Date just got dropped on the PR channels. February 28.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Playing Quake 2 coop remaster - there were a few instances where the game would start a level without giving the player any weapons. Luckily the host can restart the level and that usually fixes the issue. The server backend of quake 1 and 2 remastered is completely different from the original games.

I’ve been under a rock for thirty years but I guess dedicated servers are a thing of the past? The latest game I’ve played that allowed you to say “Okay - server is running on this linode instance - connect to this IP” was Minecraft.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Coffee Jones posted:

Playing Quake 2 coop remaster - there were a few instances where the game would start a level without giving the player any weapons. Luckily the host can restart the level and that usually fixes the issue. The server backend of quake 1 and 2 remastered is completely different from the original games.

I’ve been under a rock for thirty years but I guess dedicated servers are a thing of the past? The latest game I’ve played that allowed you to say “Okay - server is running on this linode instance - connect to this IP” was Minecraft.

I'm not sure the Quake 2 remaster even has the option for P2P, when I went to start a coop game I only remember the option for hosting a game on the Azure cloud. I invited my friends with the invite code and we went off blasting Strogg for the entirety of COTM.

It would be cool to be able to download the server files and host your own but that would probably involve giving away a bit too much of the Kex engine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've had Gloomwood forever, but still haven't played it. Just seems like one of those games that you REALLY want to wait until it hits 1.0 to experience all the way through.

Yeah I bought it to support them but I'm waiting until it's finished otherwise I'll be let down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Trepang 2 is getting some free stuff soon (Endless Mode, New Maps, Halloween Cheats, Forgetting To Install CS Source...) and some not free stuff in the nigh future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bie_pqmmFw0

more trepang is good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

3D REALMS just dropped RIPOUT into Early Access, looks suitably chunky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGJThfuvlc

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1558830/RIPOUT/

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
My nine year old wants to play coop FPSes with me, but I don’t want him exposed to gross violence. What’s the over/under on Heretic passing muster as a first time game? Nothing in it’s terribly violent aside from some incidental blood…

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm not sure the Quake 2 remaster even has the option for P2P, when I went to start a coop game I only remember the option for hosting a game on the Azure cloud. I invited my friends with the invite code and we went off blasting Strogg for the entirety of COTM.

It would be cool to be able to download the server files and host your own but that would probably involve giving away a bit too much of the Kex engine.

Just about everything you said was wrong.

• The server is hosted by the player who created the lobby. Azure simply becomes the connection tunnel, the thing you technically aren't hosting is the lobby itself.
  • You would have noticed you are hosting the game because your ping would have been absolutely tiny, and surely you don't have an Azure node in your house.
  • You must have the ability to do this for LAN to work, an entirely offline function. Azure logically can't host a LAN game.
  • Quake2 itself must have this for even single player to work because you always must run a server, your own client then connects to it on loopback.
  • The dedicated server functionality is still embedded into the application by consequence, however it can't actually do anything due to a limitation with playfab, which needs a 1:1 association of player to lobby. So it's listen servers only.
  • Ignoring the above, releasing such files would have absolutely no effect on Kex. That would be source code, not dedicated servers.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 24, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So would I have better latency if I hosted servers rather than joining? I quit playing because for like 2 days straight I could not find a single game that wasn't horribly laggy. Didn't matter what my ping was or the server's was, it was gonna lag. The poo poo's made up and the ping don't matter! Seriously it was frustrating, because I played a few weeks where I was even winning rare games

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hasturtium posted:

My nine year old wants to play coop FPSes with me, but I don’t want him exposed to gross violence. What’s the over/under on Heretic passing muster as a first time game? Nothing in it’s terribly violent aside from some incidental blood…

I'd say Heretic in particular is fine.

Like a lot of people here I was born in the 80's and, starting with Wolf 3D, I played all of the classics when they initially released, and I'm a person of tremendous moral character and fortitude today.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Milo and POTUS posted:

So would I have better latency if I hosted servers rather than joining? I quit playing because for like 2 days straight I could not find a single game that wasn't horribly laggy. Didn't matter what my ping was or the server's was, it was gonna lag. The poo poo's made up and the ping don't matter! Seriously it was frustrating, because I played a few weeks where I was even winning rare games

In general yes, if you make the lobby, you'll be running server and should have the best possible ping to it. Though you also need to have good upstream to host the other players connecting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hasturtium posted:

Enemies do gib, and some of those can be pretty gruesome, so it might be worth doing a quick check just to make sure you're good with it. There's always Chex Quest if it is too much.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone's done a de-gore mode for Heretic, I remember one being worked on for Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hasturtium posted:

I don't have it installed to check but I think left 4 dead has an option to disable gore?