Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Caught up on 20 pages of this thread to make sure this woman's videos were posted. Waiting for the inevitable news article when her property is condemned.

Sure, this looks cute until you realize that cat is only doing this so it can steal your 10mm.

If you reverse the video the cat brings the blessed mechanic a new 10mm from their magical otherworldly inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

armchairyoda posted:

https://twitter.com/OTerrifying/status/1716200964775165967?s=20

The obvious thing to do would be to simply Tarzan it over to the building... no idea what all the drama is about.

Looks like the safety harnesses did their job. Cool.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

they did, as long as someone gets to them quickly

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

More in excavation lady: She’s mining stone now:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7289967750074666283

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LanceHunter posted:

Caught up on 20 pages of this thread to make sure this woman's videos were posted. Waiting for the inevitable news article when her property is condemned.

She will pour boiling oil on the city officials from her castle tower (which is anachronistic, but whatever).

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7286987095346908458

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7279441220894559531

e: oh yeah you need the part two of the rock wall

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7279558939925318958

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 23, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Platystemon posted:

She will pour boiling oil on the city officials from her castle tower (which is anachronistic, but whatever).

[video type="tiktok"]7286987095346908458[video]

[video type="tiktok"]7279441220894559531[video]

Somehow this woman makes Colin Furze seem reasonable.

At this point there's no way she's still under her own property line, right?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

“The sandstone is great because it breaks apart easily into blocks” “I will use the easily fractured stone as structural material”

She’s going to kill herself and her surrounding neighbors at this rate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LanceHunter posted:

Somehow this woman makes Colin Furze seem reasonable.

At this point there's no way she's still under her own property line, right?

In August, she said that she’d removed “ninety tons”, which sounds like a lot, but it’s maybe twelve hundred cubic feet of material, half of a hotel room in floor area given that she can stand up down there.

e: The real OSHA concern here is the multiple times she’s lifting all that material.

Like she used to load her truck, then drive it a few yards to the skip and transfer everything by hand.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7212423268320464171

She doesn’t do that anymore, she made a path for the skip itself to be dropped off and picked up under the window, but she’s still dumping and staging rock in in her house so that she has enough to get her money’s worth on skip rental.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 23, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

they did, as long as someone gets to them quickly

A few of them seem to be hoisting themselves up on the wire from their own strength so it seems they are at least aware of the danger and how to mitigate it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I lol'd at "the cask of amontilado"

TBF I'm sure pretty much everyone pronounces that wrong but w/e.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So this lady is excavating a large hole under her house, in order to use the sandstone underneath to build a castle around said house in the middle of some suburban neighborhood? Am I getting this right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sigher posted:

So this lady is excavating a large hole under her house, in order to use the sandstone underneath to build a castle around said house in the middle of some suburban neighborhood? Am I getting this right?

The “building stone” is something of a fringe benefit that she came across after extensive digging, not her reason for digging in the first place, but otherwise, yes, that is correct to my understanding.

She said at first that the excavation was for a “storm shelter”, but she hasn’t used that justification recently.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Can't wait for the completion of grovercastle.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Digging tunnels for no particular reason is a specific kind of brainworms with a fair amount of historical pedigree

Hobby tunneling

Like the Cray supercomputer guy's hobby whenever he was stuck on an engineering problem was 'Go dig in the tunnel to nowhere underneath his house'

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Did a quick search and I can't believe Bishop Castle, the happiestmost dangerous place on earth hadn't been posted yet. One man's 50+ year old project. My daughter wanted to go all they way up to the rat cage thing but I told her it might not be the best idea. The metal dragon use to breathe fire but I'm not sure it does anymore.

I can personally attest that this quote is accurate

quote:

Jim Bishop is "a tough-talking man with strong, extreme beliefs, and sometimes he expresses them bluntly and loudly. If you and your children want to avoid potentially offensive rants (involving politics), you may want to steer clear."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Green Intern posted:

“The sandstone is great because it breaks apart easily into blocks” “I will use the easily fractured stone as structural material”

She’s going to kill herself and her surrounding neighbors at this rate.

Their insurance policies are going to deny their claims and nobody is going to have the money to replace these homes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Foxfire_ posted:

Digging tunnels for no particular reason is a specific kind of brainworms with a fair amount of historical pedigree

Hobby tunneling

Like the Cray supercomputer guy's hobby whenever he was stuck on an engineering problem was 'Go dig in the tunnel to nowhere underneath his house'

quote:

"While I'm digging in the tunnel, the elves will often come to me with solutions to my problem," he said.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Hobby tunneling

it is a latent innate drive within all of mankind and Notch made billions tapping it for those lacking fortitude

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

poo poo, if I thought I could do it safely and affordably, I'd dig a hobbit hole out back

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

fankey posted:

Did a quick search and I can't believe Bishop Castle, the happiestmost dangerous place on earth hadn't been posted yet. One man's 50+ year old project. My daughter wanted to go all they way up to the rat cage thing but I told her it might not be the best idea. The metal dragon use to breathe fire but I'm not sure it does anymore.

I'm glad I got the chance to go there on a trip to Colorado pre-covid. Absolutely fascinating structure. And yeah the absolute top feels pretty drat unsafe to be at, though even more so the bridge above the middle.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

There's a very well-known amusement park in the Willamette Valley called Enchanted Forest that was basically a 30+ year passion-project of a local eccentric. If you read his bio he basically states "yeah I got started by digging intricate networks of tunnels in my back yard as a child" - which figures because the theme park is like 40% tunnels for kids to goof around in. The other 60% is janky rollercoasters and kinda outsider-art sculptures of Grimm brothers material.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 23, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just don’t be the heaviest person on the structure that day, and don’t visit during or shortly after bad weather.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As much as she posts on TikTok you’d think the city would tell her to stop. I’m sure she is completely up to to date on her secret tunnel permits.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shame on an IGA posted:

it is a latent innate drive within all of mankind and Notch made billions tapping it for those lacking fortitude
Slightly different. Minecraft is about digging something to go somewhere or to build something out of spoils.

Sometimes you just want to dig a hole.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Just don’t be the heaviest person on the structure that day, and don’t visit during or shortly after bad weather.

I was at Bishop Castle in the rain and post here so that’s 2 for 2.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

There's a very well-known amusement park in the Willamette Valley called Enchanted Forest that was basically a 30+ year passion-project of a local eccentric. If you read his bio he basically states "yeah I got started by digging intricate networks of tunnels in my back yard as a child" - which figures because the theme park is like 40% tunnels for kids to goof around in. The other 60% is janky rollercoasters and kinda outsider-art sculptures of Grimm brothers material.

God that place is so weird, I haven't been in decades.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

As much as she posts on TikTok you’d think the city would tell her to stop. I’m sure she is completely up to to date on her secret tunnel permits.
Colin Furze says he has permits, as he builds a zelda dungeon for insurance adjusters.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
My hometown of Loveland, OH has a castle built by an eccentric during the 50s. My dad remembers his Boy Scout troop bringing the guy empty milk cartons that he’d use as molds for bricks. The stone was brought up by the guy from the nearby Little Miami river using a wheelbarrow.
Supposedly he knew his poo poo when it came to medieval architecture.
And he was also probably really crazy.

The road down to it goes down the side of the valley to the river and it is a crazy steep, single lane road with hairpins and tons of marks where vehicles have bottomed out trying to go up and down.

https://lovelandcastle.com/

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
We had one of these guys growing up, he died more than a decade ago I think but his site is still up

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/WbD8Sug.mp4

shame on an IGA posted:

zedprime posted:

Slightly different. Minecraft is about digging something to go somewhere or to build something out of spoils.

Sometimes you just want to dig a hole.

https://i.imgur.com/j2VBd3d.mp4

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

its so hosed up thats ultimately a somethingawful song

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

fankey posted:

fankey posted:

I can too - I was up there with my 8yo nephew - about 15 years ago (before Jim was arrested for firing on/above a wedding party) - My nephew asked him if he was King of his castle, which set off an epic tirade with Jim throwing sheet metal, chairs, and tables and my wife running back to the car with my nephew. It was like flipping a switch.

The fire coming from the dragon was cool though.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ellie the beep posted:

its so hosed up thats ultimately a somethingawful song

What

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

the diggy diggy hole song is by the yogscast, which started as a podcast for the european branch of the somethingawful world of warcraft guild - Ye Olde Goone Squade

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i think the yogscast had basically nothing to do with SA at that point though

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Space Kablooey posted:

i think the yogscast had basically nothing to do with SA at that point though

yeah thats why i said ultimately and not immediately - the catchphrase itself was from very very early in when the minecraft stuff was a fun little foray into youtube storytelling with some other guildmates after doing a bunch of raid tutorials so the roots are right in there

on the other hand you're right - it is just as accurate to say it's a disney song because they were owned by maker studios at the time of its release

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have visited it myself and highly recommend Quinta Da Regaleira in Sintra, Portugal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinta_da_Regaleira

It's an estate of a 19th century eccentric who had the money to make a weird mystic castle with secret tunnels, mazes, and hidden grottos with remarkable craftsmanship.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

canyoneer posted:

I have visited it myself and highly recommend Quinta Da Regaleira in Sintra, Portugal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinta_da_Regaleira

It's an estate of a 19th century eccentric who had the money to make a weird mystic castle with secret tunnels, mazes, and hidden grottos with remarkable craftsmanship.

lol evidently dude liked whippets

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

I moved to Oregon 12 years ago and have been here 3 times as an adult. The homemade whimsy of the park is very apparent. The tunnels you remember sprawling all over the park are not so. There is one long tunnel when you first start the Story Book path thats a good 50 long

There is another section called "Indian Caves" that's has some twisting bits and 2 sections you have to crawl through.

They now also hold a metal festival there

https://youtu.be/uxx-rA2_Oco?si=uSm99wbzy2yWItbm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

porktree posted:

My nephew asked him if he was King of his castle

Well?