Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It looks better in the photo. I need to think of a different lighting scheme.

The dog in the other pic is Helga. She is my brother's dog. I'm taking care of her while my brother finishes up his Army stuff.

I saw him last in August after he returned from a deployment in Syria.

He learned how to hate Israel from his fellow Army buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
please free the hostages joe

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1716596977075646842?s=46

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

there's a lot to unpack here, but the fundamental argument is a D&D-calm-hitler diatribe about how mainstream media needs to more fully embrace the role of OSINT as a legitimate source of news

in the first place, the comparison to COVID is ... interesting - Burn-Murdoch here leaves a lot to implication, but it seems like he's coming from a position where governments overreacted to COVID, ergo lockdowns and whatnot, when there allegedly could have been a more "reasonable and measured" response to it, had news and information come from more "independent sources". For example, here's an August 2022 tweet where he leans on alternative analysis (ergo, OSINT) in order to argue that continued increases in excess mortality is not caused by persistent waves of COVID, but rather because the mortality rates simply haven't been adjusted properly to account for people who would have already been dead anyway. Or here where he directly endorses the theory of people getting more sick in 2022 because of lockdowns suppressing exposure to infections in the two years prior.

moving on,

the unstated triggering event here is the Al-Ali hospital bombing, which regular news "got wrong" when some of them initially reported that it was Israel that did it, when OSINT later "proved" that it was Hamas, but because of that initial miss, too many people still believe that Israel did it, and that's bad

the implied political context here is that after two conflicts where OSINT was played as a slow-burning, low-level item of interest, Syria then Ukraine, they now want to kick OSINT acceptance into high gear, precisely because it was the premier weapon in propagandizing about the hospital bombing, and the establishment would very much want to seize that moment all the harder

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no matter which option they pick, al-aqsa flood forced israel to choose a wargoal it cannot achieve. the invincibility of the settler-colonial state and its army has been shattered and its incredibly unlikely to ever put back together again.

i wonder if we're going to be hearing about how much the idf was an invincible juggernaut just like with fireforce

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ProfessorBooty posted:

The dog in the other pic is Helga. She is my brother's dog. I'm taking care of her while my brother finishes up his Army stuff.

I saw him last in August after he returned from a deployment in Syria.

Tell your brother he's a fascist, hired baby killer for the Greater Satan. What's his hatred for Israel matter when he kills for the same loving side? D2A

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Tell your brother he's a fascist, hired baby killer for the Greater Satan. What's his hatred for Israel matter when he kills for the same loving side? D2A

please respect the troops ty

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Honky Mao posted:

please respect the troops ty

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah call your brother a baby killer

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah call your brother a baby killer

OK I'll signal him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
not great news

https://twitter.com/yonatan_touval/status/1716630443338919984?s=46

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
and a chud too ofc

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-draws-closer-to-call-for-humanitarian-pause-in-gaza/

quote:

EU fails to agree on call for ‘humanitarian pause’ to allow aid into Gaza

The ongoing blockade has pushed Palestinians in Gaza to the brink of starvation, Cindy McCain, executive director of the U.N.’s World Food Program, told POLITICO on Sunday.

At the start of the meeting many countries — including the Netherlands, Spain, Ireland and Luxembourg — called for an initiative to allow aid to reach Palestinians trapped in Gaza with varying language ranging from “humanitarian pause” to “ceasefire” or “humanitarian corridors.”

Others sounded more skeptical: “We can’t stem the humanitarian disaster if terrorism from Gaza continues. Therefore, fighting terrorism is essential,” the German foreign minister, Annalena Baerbock, told reporters.

Two diplomats said the mixed language of humanitarian pause, humanitarian ceasefire and ceasefire left the group without a clear decision. A third diplomat was skeptical the group would achieve unanimity, pointing to countries like Austria which don’t seem convinced about speaking out in favor of a humanitarian pause.

the huns are spearing babies with their pickelhaubes again

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

steal his dog

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WWIII confirmed

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

ProfessorBooty posted:

Lol Israel so hosed if even American soldiers hate them

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this was always part of what i figured they keep delaying for alongside fear of getting owned

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would add that the ground invasion may also have severe short-term consequences in that it is going to tie up resources that can't be sent to other fronts, especially the north. Israel may be in a situation where they have to spend a bunch of lives and treasure for an even trade territory. Bibi would "win" in the sense his going to remain prime minister as long as the war drags on, but eventually his ticket is going to get punched when the IDF exhausts itself and there is nothing to show for it.

The least bad option would be a ceasefire, and try to at least keep Hezbollah and Iran at bay for a bit, Israel wouldn't accomplish any their objectives, Bibi is still hosed, and their aura of invincibility is shattered but at least both Israel and the US avoid a regional war, and it buys them some time to try to come up with a better plan. That said, it is also an omission to the the world that both the US and Israel are deeply on the backfoot at this point.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Soggy Muffin posted:

Lol Israel so hosed if even American soldiers hate them

why they hate them is not why we do

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
guess this thread called it as they were waiting for that carrier group to reach Israel.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

seems fine

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Greta's revenge!

https://i.imgur.com/CcK3iXD.mp4

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Some of you are forgetting about Krav MAGA. They're unstoppable killing machines.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Another Mideast quagmire. gently caress you, Biden.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Death By The Blues posted:

guess this thread called it as they were waiting for that carrier group to reach Israel.

is it going to arrive sooner than two months from now? this all seems completely insane

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i know there isn't a plan but really, what is the plan here. 2k marines is only good for reinforcing existing bases and outposts in the region, maybe a spec ops raid here and there. i guess the carrier groups can do SEAD against lebanon and syria and aegis cruisers can do ABM/Iron Dome support but any strikes in support of IOF operations is going to cause a political backlash in the US that biden would probably prefer to avoid.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Trying to appeal to Shrek

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1716560906287525965?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

whats the meaning with the burger thing ?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

RadiRoot posted:

whats behind the ?

America is burger country, and this is burger posting

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I hope Hamas/Hezbollah/whoever kicks our imperial rear end.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

any strikes in support of IOF operations is going to cause a political backlash in the US that biden would probably prefer to avoid.

all he needs is for the houthis or somebody to put a six inch wide black scorch mark on the side of an aircraft carrier and the us public will hoot, holler, and howl for global genocide

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

don't post american-centric tweets or tviv poo poo from msnbc although people like posting the vile things Westerners think

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

30.5 Days posted:

is it going to arrive sooner than two months from now? this all seems completely insane

I’d assume it’s probably another week or so. maybe this weekend

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Calumanjaro posted:

I'm looking for a quote I think I saw earlier in this thread, from a US president justifying the violence of indigenous people against settlers. When I Google it, only Andrew Jackson being racist shows up.

i dug up the original, it goes pretty hard for 1836

edit: it's the last page here, also has a text transcript underneath the images if you want to grab the quotes

https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_zlna_krc027?canvas=0&x=997&y=1555&w=4656

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Oct 24, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

people posting news stories about how an american imperial suzerain doing a full on genocide is going to play in peoria

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i know there isn't a plan but really, what is the plan here. 2k marines is only good for reinforcing existing bases and outposts in the region, maybe a spec ops raid here and there. i guess the carrier groups can do SEAD against lebanon and syria and aegis cruisers can do ABM/Iron Dome support but any strikes in support of IOF operations is going to cause a political backlash in the US that biden would probably prefer to avoid.

I guess maybe they’re hoping that showing the flag works. worked for Eisenhower against Lebanon once already, which is probably a memory fresh in Biden’s mind.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

America is burger country, and this is burger posting

Nonsense posted:

don't post american-centric tweets or tviv poo poo from msnbc although people like posting the vile things Westerners think

oh ok I didnt notice that rule. my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The main aggressor in this conflict has been mourning the loss of troops that happened 40 years ago today in Lebanon

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1716608697961451678
https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/1716419698688974923