Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

an iksar marauder posted:

Hey guys, I'm a physician (resident) who just finished a PhD but I want to try and enter industry because, well, better quality of life and more internationally mobile. I'm not in a rush or anything, but this is the first time I'm applying for positions outside of the hospital.

I had some help from parahexavoctal, and this is what I ended up with: https://i.imgur.com/7sG6DM1.png

Does anyone here have experience with moving from clinical medicine to medical affairs in industry? I've got 2 clinical years and 3-4 research years under my belt.

Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable answering certain ?s. I've helped a decent number of physicians decide on offer and get more offers though exclusively for outpatient roles.

- I think you're on the right track with leading with what you want to do and if you dont mind tailoring a resume for each application of those types of roles it could be time well spent. I'd just tailor the summary section for most jobs.
- The one page resume rule doesnt apply to you, anyone who says it does is not giving you advice tailored to clinicians or hard science research. Still be data packed but be wary that you are ~special~ and some of the generic advice may not apply.
- Its not clear: Did you complete residency? I'm guessing from the resume but its not actually stated, was it a cardiology residency? Make that crystal clear.
- In Industry can have truly WILD variations in meaning. What are you looking to do? For example... Sensors (the piss sensors are real!), sensor analysis (apple watch applications), drug discovery, biotech tools/platforms, custom organisms (e.g. ginkgo biowerks)
- A lot of the "big name" pharma company innovations actually come from acquiring or partnering with biotech startups, are you open to a startup? For example: https://www.novonordisk.com/content/nncorp/global/en/news-and-media/news-and-ir-materials/news-details.html?id=67562
- Are you interested in starting your own startup, potentially commercializing your research?
- What are medical affairs in industry to you?

I have a lot more questions but that is a start.

EDIT: Theres some goons who work for big pharma and related companies, knox_harrington was arguing with me about biotech startup financing in the corporate thread and is a PI or something similar IIRC. Theres a doctors subforum too I think. I'd ask around SA might have some pretty good people to network through.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

CarForumPoster posted:

Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable answering certain ?s. I've helped a decent number of physicians decide on offer and get more offers though exclusively for outpatient roles.

- I think you're on the right track with leading with what you want to do and if you dont mind tailoring a resume for each application of those types of roles it could be time well spent. I'd just tailor the summary section for most jobs.
- The one page resume rule doesnt apply to you, anyone who says it does is not giving you advice tailored to clinicians or hard science research. Still be data packed but be wary that you are ~special~ and some of the generic advice may not apply.
- Its not clear: Did you complete residency? I'm guessing from the resume residency but its not actually stated, was it a cardiology residency? Make that crystal clear.
- In Industry can have truly WILD variations in meaning. What are you looking to do? For example... Sensors (the piss sensors are real!), sensor analysis (apple watch applications), drug discovery, biotech tools/platforms, custom organisms (e.g. ginkgo biowerks)
- A lot of the "big name" pharma company innovations actually come from acquiring or partnering with biotech startups, are you open to a startup? For example: https://www.novonordisk.com/content/nncorp/global/en/news-and-media/news-and-ir-materials/news-details.html?id=67562
- Are you interested in starting your own startup, potentially commercializing your research?
- What are medical affairs in industry to you?

I have a lot more questions but that is a start.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

- Yeah, I've got a 'generic' one and I try to customize it for positions I'm applying to, usually on a per-company basis (since nobody lets me add in a cover letter/a resume tailored towards each specific position)
- I genuinely don't know how I should expand this resume without being too wordy. Any tips?
- I am currently in a Cards residency, but I want to quit. The night shifts and long hours are getting me down. I did a PhD during a clinical break and the research-clinical combination was very fun.
- I'm looking to do clinical trial management, drug development/discovery, and/or digital health
- I am open to a startup but I have no experience distinguishing between the good and the bad. Novo is a company I've applied to (I'd really like to work with them)
- This will be rather difficult because the university owns the patents. It'd also bring in a lot of uncertainty. One of my colleagues is doing this right now, but it's very stressful and I'd rather not.
- The companies I've applied to define it as adjacent to the scientific medical branch. Ideally I'd have the ability to be involved with the management and setup of clinical trials while also being the point of contact between the corp's scientific arm and external parties.

Again, all new stuff to me. Feel free to tell me if I'm completely off here or there.
Also yeah I've asked around on SA, but I'm in Europe so there's some regulatory burdens to working in the US. I'm open to it, but mainly wanted some general advice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

- I am currently in a Cards residency, but I want to quit.

How much longer you got? In the USA they're typically 3 years IIRC and if you're 2 of 3 in and not suicidal then my advice would be to finish (if you were in the USA). If you're suicidal then your health comes first and you should call someone tonight to discuss the feelings you're having then reach out to the appropriate people in your residency.

EDIT heres an example of why general advice doesnt apply to you: In general "finishes what they started" is a VERY important resume thing. However, you will have finished an MD and a PhD so it doesnt really apply to you so much. That said it will give you an edge in working with medical devices because you will experience just how stupid and bad patients are.

I'm in Europe [...] wanted some general advice.

What country?

FYI you're in a very nuanced situation for giving good resume and career advice. General advice for you is maybe not so useful.

If you play your cards right I suspect the world will be your oyster (hows that for layered idioms?) but what play is the right one and how your resumes should be written to make that play is nuanced.

Unrelated: This has been a good couple weeks of resume thread edge cases.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 24, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

CarForumPoster posted:

How much longer you got?

It's 6 years but I'm just 1 year in, my other year of clinical experience was in another department (normal in my neck of the woods). I don't have trouble at work and the department leads are giving me recommendation letters, but I'm 100% certain I'm going to stop.

CarForumPoster posted:

What country?

FYI you're in a very nuanced situation for giving good resume and career advice. General advice for you is maybe not so useful.

If you play your cards right I suspect the world will be your oyster (hows that for layered idioms?) but what play is the right one and how your resumes should be written to make that play is nuanced.

Unrelated: This has been a good couple weeks of resume thread edge cases.

Netherlands. Yeah, I know it's a tough one. I was hoping someone would have some experience on the hiring side of large pharma orgs. I've checked a bunch of boxes, I'm first author on an RCT, published a bunch on cardiovascular/rare diseases, PhD and all. Just need an 'in' into medical affairs or clinical trial management and go from there, I think.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Netherlands. Yeah, I know it's a tough one. I was hoping someone would have some experience on the hiring side of large pharma orgs.

Yea hoo boy you've got a very specific set of things. I'd suggest maybe finding a few dozen people who are currently doing the thing you want and trying to get an introduction to them to ask their advice. Use people you've done research with or who previously worked/coauthored with your research professors/coresidents/the hospitalists/etc. Make a beautiful LinkedIn and see who is a friend of a friend, then politely ask them for an introduction. Try to network your way into meeting the people who are currently where you want to be in 3 or 4 years.

I think then your resume details wont matter much, and in the course of having these conversations you'll end up with a job, though it may be a few months later. Also, attend conferences, meet people...I normally hate to tell people that networking is the best for them but in your case you're entering a very specific area and niche industry where everyone will know everyone.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One header for the company and total duration, “antfuckers r us, 1403-1412”
Most senior title “principal antfucker, 1408-1412”
Job duties and achievements, leave off anything that was part of your previous role unless it changed in scope significantly (eg went from managing 1 account to 7)
Previous title “senior antfucker, 1403-1408”
Job duties and achievements

Do I just put the title lines inside the bulletpoint list?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Well, I'm already doing that. I've had meetings at congresses/conferences and have some ongoing leads with people employed at companies I'd like to work at. I'm really just here for all the stuff besides that--like knowing that apparently I need a larger, more detailed resume.

It's all pretty specific, but I think the stuff I've done is pretty broadly applicable as well. In essence it's just some stretch of clinical work, 2 degrees, and a bunch of published research projects. I'd love to run, set up, or design a clinical trial, I did that on the academic side and it was fun. I'd love to be the communicative link between a corp and a hospital or health care system, I've done that on the hospital's side and it was great. I just don't want to sleep with a pager next to my head again.

E: I'd also like to mention that I'm not in a hurry. I'm working at the Cards dept til at least december, and afterwards I've got other positions lined up, or I can even go for short-term locum stuff. I'm aiming for something within a year or so, that's really it. I'm also willing to relocate globally, since I just have cats to worry about at the moment.

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 24, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Well, I'm already doing that. I've had meetings at congresses/conferences and have some ongoing leads with people employed at companies I'd like to work at. I'm really just here for all the stuff besides that--like knowing that apparently I need a larger, more detailed resume.

It's all pretty specific, but I think the stuff I've done is pretty broadly applicable as well. In essence it's just some stretch of clinical work, 2 degrees, and a bunch of published research projects. I'd love to run, set up, or design a clinical trial, I did that on the academic side and it was fun. I'd love to be the communicative link between a corp and a hospital or health care system, I've done that on the hospital's side and it was great. I just don't want to sleep with a pager next to my head again.

E: I'd also like to mention that I'm not in a hurry. I'm working at the Cards dept til at least december, and afterwards I've got other positions lined up, or I can even go for short-term locum stuff. I'm aiming for something within a year or so, that's really it. I'm also willing to relocate globally, since I just have cats to worry about at the moment.

You're on the right track, hopefully someone with more specialized knowledge will chime in but my advice is to render your resume irrelevant by networking and to consider startups, particularly ones in the united states. Here's a list of ones that publicized raising money in 2023: https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/fierce-biotech-fundraising-tracker-23

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Appreciate the info, man. I might toss you a PM in a while, waiting for a handful of leads at the moment.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Can you just keep your recent stuff after your industry change? Unless you need those other experiences? No requirement to name a complete work history on your LinkedIn
Yeah I can do that. But it pains me to have to purge all of my pre-industry-change work history because it would make it look like I haven't been in the workforce for very long.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think as long as you can speak to the shift, you should be fine. Anyone who views switching industries as a negative is stupid and you don’t wanna work for them. Broad perspectives are a huge asset.
I agree on the benefit of broad perspectives. But in my experience a lot of employers are very risk-averse post-COVID and unsurprisingly prefer to field candidates with established and more specialized work history. I realize that will come with time the more I progress in my new field but until then I'm looking for ways to discuss my past experience as the clear benefit that it really is whenever I'm networking online and meeting new people.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 24, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I think you should include all work history since you started relevant work, the trend of advising people to chop that is bizarre to me.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 25, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

melon cat posted:

Yeah I can do that. But it pains me to have to purge all of my pre-industry-change work history because it would make it look like I haven't been in the workforce for very long.

I agree on the benefit of broad perspectives. But in my experience a lot of employers are very risk-averse post-COVID and unsurprisingly prefer to field candidates with established and more specialized work history. I realize that will come with time the more I progress in my new field but until then I'm looking for ways to discuss my past experience as the clear benefit that it really is whenever I'm networking online and meeting new people.

I mean nobody can really help you with your talk track. You gotta figure that one out on your own. But you need a talk track about why industry X experience benefits you in industry Y. Even if it’s a throwaway “oh I was a line cook for 8 years so I got pretty thick skin” or something like that.

But the whole thing just seems bizarre and doesn’t match my view of job market reality. What industry are you in now? Even looking at my highly traditional client industries they’re always trying to figure out how to find and hire the unicorn people who have industry experience but aren’t solely industry people.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I think you should include all work history since your start possibly relevant work, the trend of advising people to chop that is bizarre to me.

Agreed I think that is Bad Advice

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

melon cat posted:

This is always true which is why you usually need to take a step back when switching industries, but right now its maybe the best time in recent history to switch careers as the labor shortage means there are fewer choices. Having 3 years of relevant experience and 8 of experience in another industry is better than 3 years relevant and nothing.

CarForumPoster posted:

I think you should include all work history since you started relevant work, the trend of advising people to chop that is bizarre to me.

Relevant is the big word. Typically including irrelevant jobs from a decade ago isn't helpful. You can always include single line items if it helps, but you don't need a full audit.

Linkedin should probably include everything though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have my first legit interview in 8 years coming up. What's are some good tips besides what's in the OP? It will be virtual if it matters

Graduating with a PhD chemistry and trying to switch subfields entirely

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Waiting for the final decision offer is the worst

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have my first legit interview in 8 years coming up. What's are some good tips besides what's in the OP? It will be virtual if it matters

Find out what app they'll be using to conduct the interview and do some practice calls with a friend.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Seconding the test with a friend, especially because that means it's all installed already and you're not trying to download it at the time.

Test your camera to check your lighting to make sure you're well lit.

Check the position of your camera to make sure you're not being presented at an unflattering angle (up the nose, etc), especially if you're using a built-in laptop camera.

Similar to the above, but check your posture to make sure you're not slouching.

Make sure what's visible behind you is professional and organized. If that's not possible for whatever reason, consider investing in some form of partition to hide all your Funko Pops. If all else fails, I think it's okay to use use a professional-looking virtual background replacement as you see on Teams and a few other platforms. It's better to not have the artifice and distraction if at all possible, but it's far enough into the covid times that I feel most people will understand that your home working space might just kind of suck.

Make sure the kids and pets can't interrupt.

During the interview, while speaking look directly in the webcam, not at the preview of yourself. I know it's tempting because :sparkles: I found this hard to practice because you can't see if you're doing it right.

Have follow up questions prepared in advance. Try to make them related to the work and culture rather than benefits (there's time to ask that later), and if possible at least one related to the company specifically.

I can't tell you how to dress because I'm a software dev, and they're just happy my tee shirt is clean even if it is stained.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I already did a test chat, but another one cant hurt especially since I wasn't paying attention to camera angle and such. Microsoft Teams lol

I'm planning on doing the interview from the office, so backgrounds and whatever shouldn't be a problem there. There is a notable lag on the video side, I should probably look into that

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I already did a test chat, but another one cant hurt especially since I wasn't paying attention to camera angle and such. Microsoft Teams lol

God. MS Teams never worked right for me. Something about personal and corporate Microsoft accounts being two very different things on the back end which causes the calls to go to hell when the two mix. Be prepared to fail back to phone audio is my advice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wash bucket posted:

Find out what app they'll be using to conduct the interview and do some practice calls with a friend.

Good advice.

Invest in a ring light then mount your phone behind it with a cheap phone tripod. You can also use a high quality (min 1080p) webcam or some DSLRs

For $35 you'll look better than 90+% of interviewees. Its on of those human things that just attracts people.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 26, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

During the interview, while speaking look directly in the webcam, not at the preview of yourself. I know it's tempting because :sparkles: I found this hard to practice because you can't see if you're doing it right.
A good trick with this is to prop up a lego figure or something behind your webcam and talk to that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Agree, lego man above is a neat trick. I move the picture of myself to wherever the webcam lens is, best of both worlds

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Omne posted:

Waiting for the final decision offer is the worst

Isn’t it? I had my fifth round (!!!) interview over a week ago, which the recruiter had even told me he wanted to skip and just send an offer because the on-site team had liked me so much. That one went well from everything I could tell and it’s been total silence since. I sent a quick follow up right after the last interview and another “hey really looking forward to hearing back” type email a week after it (so last Friday) and nothing. Really thought it would be moving faster but I haven’t interviewed for jobs in a decade so maybe this is normal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you're not a priority. people need to convene. people need to sign off. people are on vacation. people are sick. there is some crisis project that needs solving. making a decision on a candidate and issuing an offer is like close to last on the business team's list and who the gently caress knows what HR is up to.

this isn't personal. if you have ever been on the other side of this you should understand. five rounds is a little excessive tho.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Half the people I know are sick right now or were sick last week, including myself. Not even covid, there's just a nasty URI going around at least the northeast US right now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're not a priority. people need to convene. people need to sign off. people are on vacation. people are sick. there is some crisis project that needs solving. making a decision on a candidate and issuing an offer is like close to last on the business team's list and who the gently caress knows what HR is up to.

this isn't personal. if you have ever been on the other side of this you should understand. five rounds is a little excessive tho.

I get it, I just thought it was a little odd that I got nothing, including a “hey we’ll get back to you in (timeframe)” email after the last interview.

I’ve been on the other side and my company is hell on earth in a lot of ways but I guess from all the turnover the one thing they’ve figured out how to do is hire quickly.

But yeah, I’m not taking it personally. And it actually works out really well for me in terms of the timeline because I didn’t want to leave my current job till after a planned trip in November anyway, so had I gotten an offer weeks ago it would’ve been a lot more of an ask to hold off on the start date than it would be now.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I was getting daily texts from the internal recruiter running the process, which helped ease my anxiety over this process.

Got the verbal offer today, formal should be coming tomorrow. Salary is at the higher end of what I'd expect, so the only thing I want to negotiate on is a signing bonus to ease losing my (worthless) stock options.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Please forgive the Twitter X post, but I someone shared this on Discord:

https://twitter.com/roshanpatei/status/1719030157229326662

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Magnetic North posted:

If the job requires a physical, VO2 might not be the worst thing to put on there?

Sperm count lol

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

I looked at resumes for 20 years and got some real doozies.

This beats anything I ever saw. :dogbutton:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What is the consensus on the "Why are you leaving" line of questioning? It's money, but I generally avoided that type of reasoning and give the standard bullshit "looking for a challenge shill" and I'm wondering if I'm just going down the wrong path. I feel I'm doing well in interviews, but I'm just not landing a new job. I don't know if I'm just being eked out by someone marginally better/younger/hotter/whateverer, or if I'm just not hitting the right points to put myself on top.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gothmog1065 posted:

What is the consensus on the "Why are you leaving" line of questioning? It's money, but I generally avoided that type of reasoning and give the standard bullshit "looking for a challenge shill" and I'm wondering if I'm just going down the wrong path. I feel I'm doing well in interviews, but I'm just not landing a new job. I don't know if I'm just being eked out by someone marginally better/younger/hotter/whateverer, or if I'm just not hitting the right points to put myself on top.

What are some differences between the job you’re doing now and the job you’re applying to? Are the responsibilities different? Aren’t those differences things that you have some experience with now, but would LOVE to get to do more? Or is there something with the new company you really like and want to be a part of?

I don’t explain why I’m leaving a job at all. I just explain why I want to go to the new one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That question is a honey pot to see if you know how to answer a question like that without trying to immediately start drama. You'd be shocked how often people will just start bitching and airing grievances.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

What are some differences between the job you’re doing now and the job you’re applying to? Are the responsibilities different? Aren’t those differences things that you have some experience with now, but would LOVE to get to do more? Or is there something with the new company you really like and want to be a part of?

I don’t explain why I’m leaving a job at all. I just explain why I want to go to the new one.

It's usually very similar in scope and responsibilities, even less at times. However, the pay increase has always been between 40 and 70% for a non-senior role (I'm in a senior role currently) over what I'm making now, which makes it REALLY hard to not go "I'm applying for better pay ". I usually do the challenge and personal growth reasoning. Just making sure I'm not completely loving up that question.

Lockback posted:

That question is a honey pot to see if you know how to answer a question like that without trying to immediately start drama. You'd be shocked how often people will just start bitching and airing grievances.

Yeah, I've never talked bad about my job. I actually like where I'm working, it's just the pay is garbage compared to every other job I've looked at and applied to in the field.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gothmog1065 posted:

I like where I'm working, it's just the pay is garbage

This is a not too bad answer

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're getting on really well with the interviewer and want to hint at there being reasons you want to be discrete about do the usual "new challenges, time to move" song and dance, and then say "there's some stuff that we'll get into at the Christmas party" to indicate that you are aware of the internationally recognised time to say poo poo you really shouldn't.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah that's fine too. I love a good gossip but knowing that an interview is not the place to be catty is important.

Or if you do make sure it's actually funny.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Plus it lets them know that there definitely is poo poo and you can be trusted to know how to handle delicate subjects and not blurt poo poo to strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So if I haven’t heard from the company for two weeks after the final and I looked up my recruiter on LinkedIn since he hadn’t responded and turns out he got laid off that’s probably not great.

Like I’m in a horrific helljob but it’s at least stable. That sort of gives me a not great feeling about the whole thing. But the job I was going for didn’t have anything to do with HR or recruiting, so maybe the layoffs were limited to that? Hopefully?