Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Rochallor posted:

I cannot believe how consistent it is when somebody gives up protections and immediately gets covid. Like it's happened a dozen times in this thread alone. I don't even want to think about people who don't take any precautions and how sick they must be all the time.

It's all that immunity debt caused by taking protections duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Kid had annual physical today, noticed that they did have a sign up saying they had the vax. Asked pediatrician why we didn't get an email (like they said they would), she said we must have a bad email. No, we get all your other emails... "Oh well we don't have a lot of it". ????

So I dunno, I guess if you can't find any at Walmart/Walgreens/grocery store, it's worth calling your pediatrician again to see if they got some in.

She seemed kinda put off by us still masking... "well that's your choice". Yah, no poo poo it is, we are aware. Literally nothing has changed since last year (just more bad news about what this poo poo is doing to us), but she goes from supportive last year to whatever this is now? And just pulled his mask off his face to look at his throat, instead of asking him. He's 12, not a baby. You can use your words with him.

Seemed like she'd forgotten all his medical history too, even though she's been our pediatrician since he was born. Just, what the gently caress. I guess time to find a new doctor.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I mean, the st Lawrence is shut down right now

:canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRD3vrSLPaw

(I hope this band isn't loving fashy or anything like that, i just discovered them while trying to find stan's song and using embedding videos on sa posts to get around youtube's adblock protest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjFpwsXhuI

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

captainbananas posted:

aura do tend to stink fresh out of the bag. i try to air them out for a few minutes before donning but if they're also painful for your face shape/type then yeah, the vflex/duckbill style would be the best next step.

Duckbills are great. For auras though I've found that some smell badly enough that I need to air them out for a day or two or somewhere very well ventilated to get them palatable.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
FUcccck.

My doctor is sending me to get a full panel of bloodwork tomorrow. Thinks i have diabetes.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pillowpants posted:

FUcccck.

My doctor is sending me to get a full panel of bloodwork tomorrow. Thinks i have diabetes.

Welcome to the club, goon.

e: at least you'll get that sweet metformin

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Oct 24, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Kid just popped positive too and my wife probably will shortly as well even though we have separate rooms now. Going to be stuck quarantining here until at least Monday probably with all of us sick. Awesome. This trip was an amazing idea.

We didn't bring an extra week's worth of meds and my kid takes scheduled meds so it'll be fun trying to get all of that filled while out of state.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

RandomBlue posted:

Kid just popped positive too and my wife probably will shortly as well even though we have separate rooms now. Going to be stuck quarantining here until at least Monday probably with all of us sick. Awesome. This trip was an amazing idea.

We didn't bring an extra week's worth of meds and my kid takes scheduled meds so it'll be fun trying to get all of that filled while out of state.

I feel bad for you/your family and hope you all get better soon and don't suffer any long term effects but lmao at that whole situation. "We have to go now before your kid turns 18" so like, they're what late highschool already and this is all for disney? I feel like most teenagers would already think Disney was lame by that point.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

3.5 years. that’s how long I’ve remained Covid free. until today. been feeling sick since Friday. tested today. head cold, mild fever. doing netty pots, extra CBD oil and turmeric tea, extra vitamin d doses. any other things I should be doing for Covid recovery protocols? I’m triple boosted, but haven’t gotten the latest one since I’m mid 30’s and they’ve still only been giving it to the olds

also, still have taste and all that. it’s not a great cold, but it has been okay. I’m assuming no working out for two weeks as well?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LionArcher posted:

3.5 years. that’s how long I’ve remained Covid free. until today. been feeling sick since Friday. tested today. head cold, mild fever. doing netty pots, extra CBD oil and turmeric tea, extra vitamin d doses. any other things I should be doing for Covid recovery protocols? I’m triple boosted, but haven’t gotten the latest one since I’m mid 30’s and they’ve still only been giving it to the olds

also, still have taste and all that. it’s not a great cold, but it has been okay. I’m assuming no working out for two weeks as well?

Get pax

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Probably in a country that heavily restricts pax access, if they even have it at all, given that even a 4th+ booster shot is restricted.

Like here in Korea.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I thought Pax was for if you had it bad? I haven’t been paying as much attention to this thread after following it closely for two years

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LionArcher posted:

I thought Pax was for if you had it bad? I haven’t been paying as much attention to this thread after following it closely for two years

It's for before you have it bad, within 5 days of symptom onset, to prevent it from becoming bad. It also reduces your chances of getting long covid.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
yeah, pax stops it from getting bad. it stops replication. so if you already have covid all over its too late. thus, you gotta take it within the first 5 days.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

LionArcher posted:

no it's for everyone. if you're in the United States, gently caress what the idiot government says. paxlovid inhibits the replication of the virus to give your immune system a leg up and this is of utility to literally everyone. you're not "stealing" or "consuming a dose that could help someone else" just get it get it get it.

however for you specifically if you have been symptomatic since Friday, it will be of limited utility. because the virus is already goin buckwild in your body. it should be taken within a couple days of popping hot, and probably within five days of having symptoms.

beaten several times, but this is axiomatic. get paxlovid asap every time all y'all

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is axiomatic. get paxlovid asap every time all y'all

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it should be taken within a couple days of popping hot, and probably within five days of having symptoms.

That's only three days

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RandomBlue posted:

how hardcore is the urge to say "I told you so?"

So side note: A few days ago I ended up in urgent care for about 7 hours because I've been nauseous for about 3 weeks straight and eating was impossible and I was just losing my loving mind. Went in, had a fuckload of testing done. confirmed at least I didnt have anything obviously mechanically broken with me. Ended up getting a bag of fluids and a bunch of new anti nausea meds and I guess my lipase is high and my neutrophils are off as well so info for my gastro appointment next week.

Its been 3 days since and I tested negative on a NAAT.

always trust your respirator.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Oct 24, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LionArcher posted:

Paxlovid is for reality’s main characters who need to escape consequences from global crises.

That’s why all of the government officials that are otherwise presenting themselves as fit and viral are suddenly at “high risk” when in the privacy of a doctor’s Zoom meeting.

e: I meant “virile”, but it’s funny so I’m leaving it.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Oct 24, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would still be funny if Trump died from Covid but not as funny as if it had happened in 2020.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Paxlovid is for reality’s main characters who need to escape consequences from global crises.

That’s why all of the government officials that are otherwise presenting themselves as fit and viral are suddenly at “high risk” when in the privacy of a doctor’s Zoom meeting.

Americans suck at health on such a widespread level that an absurd percentage of us have multiple high risk factors.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Auras stink of solvent when they come out of the package

I like the smell a lot. it's an underrated aspect of the blue rubberband auras. this type of aroma is prized in certain single malts as a sort of band aid aroma.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr posted:

I like the smell a lot. it's an underrated aspect of the blue rubberband auras. this type of aroma is prized in certain single malts as a sort of band aid aroma.

Dont everybody like the smell of gasoline

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

Dont everybody like the smell of gasoline

Appropriate song for this thread honestly.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

trashy owl posted:

Appropriate song for this thread honestly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCF1_jI8Prk

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Many doctors posted:

I thought Pax was for if you had it bad? I haven’t been paying much attention

:hmmrona:

Joking aside, sorry you got got. I hope you live in a country where you have access to Paxlovid.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m in USA but my doctor is generally pretty chill. we shall see.

also, no major exercise for 2 weeks right? I usually stationary bike a few days a week and am on my feet for 10 hours a day a few days a week as a bartender. my shifts are covered, but I’m assuming I shouldn’t do biking while I’m testing positive, but what about like two mile walks in the woods?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

LionArcher posted:

also, no major exercise for 2 weeks right? I usually stationary bike a few days a week and am on my feet for 10 hours a day a few days a week as a bartender. my shifts are covered, but I’m assuming I shouldn’t do biking while I’m testing positive, but what about like two mile walks in the woods?

Consider telehealth to get it snappier, the clock is ticking.

The highest likelihood of cardiovascular events are within the first month post-infection, which is the timeframe you need to be very mindful (so 4-6 weeks from a positive). Considering your job I can understand that you cannot avoid strenuous activity entirely for that period (though heavy exercise should be avoided), so instead of focusing on the specific time, be more cognizant of your limit, when it is reached and not locking yourself in to an activity that you cannot get out of. E.g. pace yourself, don't force it, take a walk around the block before you go for a run etc.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Give yourself as much rest as possible for a solid month, don't push it, and consider it a cost of doing business. It's a vascular disease and you are at significantly elevated risk of cardiac poo poo happening for the next few weeks which is apparently not that related to how severe your URI symptoms are.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Give yourself as much rest as possible for a solid month, don't push it, and consider it a cost of doing business. It's a vascular disease and you are at significantly elevated risk of cardiac poo poo happening for the next few weeks which is apparently not that related to how severe your URI symptoms are.

Thank everyone for the info. I’ll limit pushing heart rate, will keep my Apple
watch on to track my heart rate, and while the bar can be busy I usually am able to sling drinks so I should be okay in terms of pushing myself.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Speaking of elevated risk of cardiac poo poo, a local restaurant had a beloved and longtime server collapse of a massive heart attack at the bus stop and if a nurse hadn’t been waiting at the same stop would be dead (he did cpr until paramedics arrived). Guy was in a coma for several days. Double pneumonia.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I'd like to host an open-house style party in December, but I also want to not die or create a super-spreader event.

I recognize that this may be fully impossible.

If there are open windows, Levoit or corsi cubes in every room, masks required (and Auras freely available at the door) and snacks outside only....

Is there a way to do this that is not completely brainless? I will graciously accept feedback such as, "no, you complete dumbass, have you learned nothing".

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Take Ms Hax's advice

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'd like to host an open-house style party in December, but I also want to not die or create a super-spreader event.

If there are open windows, Levoit or corsi cubes in every room, masks required (and Auras freely available at the door) and snacks outside only....

Is there a way to do this that is not completely brainless? I will graciously accept feedback such as, "no, you complete dumbass, have you learned nothing".

Paging thread good goon Steve Yun (he's hosted a few parties during covid, and should be able to provide some great input).

First, don't beat yourself up for wanting to have a party. This is the right place to be asking those questions, as we're all trying to navigate this hell world and avoid covid if possible. I'm missing that social aspect, but my immense fear of covid/weakening trust in people keeps me a hermit :smith:

I have no experience hosting a party during covid, but your plan above seems decent, assuming you're in a place with warm weather. One thing to consider - will the people there be open to masking/taking precautions? The one thing I hate about "living with covid" is you have to rely on others, and sadly the past ~10 years has really really lessened my faith in society. That will be one thing you can't fully control. Also, having wind can help you position people to reduce their risk of breathing others breaths. This is obviously hard to control, but it's a factor that might help lessen risk.

As an analyst, my brain automatically goes through possible scenarios that could happen, and I think what I'd do in those situations. Basically have a plan for things both within my control, and without. Yup, it's exhausting living like that right now, but it's how my brain works. Should be fun trying to move to the other side of the world next summer.

Anyway, hoping you get some good ideas here from other posters, and hoping everything works out for you.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

If they’re in the house, they will bring food inside the house. if they’re outside they will migrate inside once the weather gets any kind of uncomfortable. If you want to keep them outside you’ll want to have a bathroom solution outside. Making it an outside themed party (bonfire?) will help set the mood. Having an outdoor heating element will also help. Something to block the wind if that’s an issue. Your best bet would probably be to have it at an outside location rather than your house if you want to keep folks outside. Inside just feels too risky with how contagious it is now, regardless of mitigation. Maybe all that and PCR type testing would be sufficient. I would also aim for pre holidays as there are going to be a lot of superspreader events and someone’s going to be sick, either knowingly or unknowingly, and they will convince themselves to show up.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
It's meant to be a housewarming and informal indoor regifting party (you bring crap you don't need, and someone else maybe takes it, and the rest goes to the local community-organization thrift store). So, indoors at the house is kind of the whole point.

I'm in the Midwest and targeting the first weekend in December so it is likely to be cold (but who the hell knows around here, honestly). I am already shopping for outdoor heaters like the kind that bars use for fall/winter outdoor seating. I'm not sure that a canopy/pavilion is safe with that but some kind of windbreak solution is a really good idea and something I'll look into.

The invite list is solely people that I completely trust, and who are very aware that I'm steadfastly COVID aware. We have occasional meet-ups and everyone who comes is also vaxxed and careful, and they all wear a mask specifically so I can also be there. So, I am genuinely totally confident that people will only eat outside and will re-mask before coming in for the bathroom or anything else. The guest list will be about a dozen people who won't all come, so it's not going to be packed. The house is open-concept but with normal, not high, ceilings. I use MERV 15 furnace filters as well.

Although, envisioning all this in my head, would it be any better to host this in the garage? The same masking rules apply and I can have the snacks at the very front of the garage with a heating element outside but nearby. I'm sure that garage-safe heaters exist (so we don't all die of CO2 poisoning).

Snacks aren't mandatory, but pre-COVID this was an annual party, and my appetizers are a tradition. But, again, quiche are not worth our collective health.

Also, based on some of your prior posts I think we live in the same town. I'm hoping I'm not doxxing myself here.

(edited for a typo)

(double edit) Given how unreliable antigen tests are now I'm not sure there's value in asking folks to test before they come. At the same time, handing out tests are party favors might be a thing I could do. And I due have a Cue machine and I can order more tests.

Hungry Squirrel has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Oct 24, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
yeah when I threw my birthday party it was outside at a park, grilling burgers. almost nobody wants to deal with Covid mitigations so if you have a “don’t bring food indoors” or “you must wear masks indoors” policy it’s going to create some social friction and they might not want to bother coming or if they do come it’s going to feel like a burden to them. throwing an outdoor party gives them the best reasonable protection while being an invisible safety mitigation they don’t have to stress over

dunno how difficult that might be in December

edit: I posted before your latest reply. it sounds like your friends are more okay with mitigations than most of my friends so it’s your call. uhh do you have a backyard at this place?

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Oct 24, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
garage is not a bad idea, especially if you do food at the open door

imo if there's a need to go inside you can take your levoits and concentrate em along the path to and inside of the bathroom or the kitchen or wherever and just say "hey if you must go inside it's e.g. a ten minute timer in between, one person at a time" to let the cubes do their work

if you know the people are understanding and on board that is half the battle

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Yes to backyard. Really tiny patio and no fence, but definitely ample for the party. A canopy (or three) and the aforementioned heaters, and having the garage-sale part less formally organized (and not pre-staged - I usually set up a day or three before and have people advance-drop-off stuff if they want to, and then leave it out for however long it takes for me to get around boxing it up to take to the thrift store) would work. But, again, if it's already snowing, that's not super great.

But I can plan on outside and pivot to garage that morning if necessary, maybe? And of course, if the local transmission / positivity /hospital utilization rates jump then the whole thing is called off. We used to have really good wastewater tracking but they're shutting that program down, so that sucks.

For this group, the indoor mask policy honestly won't be a turn off; this party is a tradition going back to I think 2006. The last one was December 2019 so there's been a three year hiatus, and I'm asked regularly whether and how it might be safe to re-start. I really think this group will bend of backwards to be able to do this again.

That said, we all know that no matter how careful you are, nothing is guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife finally got her Stelara approved and delivered for her Crohn's disease since my job switch and insurance change. Only took 50 days or so. Sure is a good thing she wasn't having an episode!