Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sorry to barge into discussion, but just going to throw out that I was watching some Street Fighter 6 tournament over the weekend and one of the commentators mentioned something along the lines of "piloting a character".

There might be some deeper meaning to it, but imo it could also be some lingo thing picked up on the internet because people don't want to use the word play or control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I used to play a lot of 40K, but haven’t really played since before the pandemic. I’m out of touch with 10th edition. The last time I was really active was around the time Primaris marines arrived. I have a good sized backlog of models, including Indomitus and all of the old-school marines I could ever need.

I’d like to get back into the game, and I think I’d like my unpainted grey to be Blood Angels.

What does a decent Blood Angels army look like in 10th edition? I understand that the old staple of Assault Marines is gone, should I look to Assault Intercessors to take their place?

Do Sanguinary Guard still work? How about Death Company? Or have they been surpassed by Primaris marines?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I first encountered "piloted" in a gaming sense in Magic. Its used aptly in MTG to acknowledge that the person playing a deck in a tournament often didn't build the deck list themselves, and recognizes that list building and playing that list in a live game are related but ultimately separate skills. Its a useful term.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WOOPS

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 23, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wrong thread Al-Saqr!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I think you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread, unless you believe that this whole thing was kicked off by a Genestealer cult?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Kitchner posted:

I think you may have accidentally posted in the wrong thread, unless you believe that this whole thing was kicked off by a Genestealer cult?

LOL wrong thread

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Super Waffle posted:

Work in progress on my Terminator Warsmith. Leviathan terminator captain is the base model, obliterator right arm and chaos terminator left arm, primaries techmarine head, plus other bits and bobs. Belt buckle is a poorly uv resin cast warpsmith kneepad made with blue stuff, I'll probably remake it. Load out will be power fist and combi weapon. Any thoughts or critiques?

I really like this, and fantastic work on the IW skull and use of older IW terminator shoulder pads. I feel like the left leg could use some additional studs on the banding, I don't see any on the inner portion of the leg.
I'd love some side shots of this to see the arms a bit clearer.

If you're not satisfied with the belt, you can always opt for a big ol gut plate, or a wwf style belt.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
“Into” I think comes more from saying “running” more and more. Running probably came first. It’s a very standard phrase to say like, “I ran into John the other day…” or “those cars ran into each other.” Basically “running” takes the place of happened upon/collided, sort of like how “fixing to” means “about to” through some evolution of dialect.

So, “I ran my car into his” becomes “our team ran into theirs” becomes “I’m running with engineer this round” becomes “I’m running blue control…” and so on.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"playing X into Y" makes it clear whose strategy the speaker is focusing on, in a way that "X vs Y" and "the X-Y matchup" do not. :ms:

moths posted:

Is there any viable way to do World Eaters without World Eaters? Just a Daemon Prince, Jakhals, Daemon Engines, and allied Daemons?

I'm having fun converting Corpse Grinders for Necromunda, and it occurred to me that enough of them could make an army. But maybe a stupid one.

there's no rule that you need anything in your army but a character that is eligible to be your warlord now, so sure. i'm not sure how competitively viable it would be but i don't know what people run in WE these days.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

From what I can tell, it's Angron, Eight bound, and WE so I'm wondering what the synergies are for the anti-meta.

And so far stuff looks pretty good? walking Daemon Prince grants a 4++ bubble aura, so you could potentially slap that on up to 60 Jakhals with clever placement. But idk if they have any answer to vehicles or anything hard. Just the skulldozer and he's a big investment.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cessna posted:

I used to play a lot of 40K, but haven’t really played since before the pandemic. I’m out of touch with 10th edition. The last time I was really active was around the time Primaris marines arrived. I have a good sized backlog of models, including Indomitus and all of the old-school marines I could ever need.

I’d like to get back into the game, and I think I’d like my unpainted grey to be Blood Angels.

What does a decent Blood Angels army look like in 10th edition? I understand that the old staple of Assault Marines is gone, should I look to Assault Intercessors to take their place?

Do Sanguinary Guard still work? How about Death Company? Or have they been surpassed by Primaris marines?

The Blood Angels specific detachment rules are somewhat underwhelming so most lists that want to be competitive just use the general purpose space marine gladius detachment rules atm. I personally speculate that this is going to stay this way until the 10th edition update gives us a new Blood Angel codex and updated units. That being said they are still fun to play and the new assault intercessors with jump packs + smash captain are pretty great and very on brand for Blood Angels. Sanguinary Guard are overcosted but old school Death Company are fearsome (not the death company intercessors) and they still get access to all of the good Space Marine units.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm almost done with another DKoK unit and about to do my field ordinance batteries next. Gotta say that the prospect of doing my first conversion of regular old IG guys to DKoK guys is a bit daunting and I'm not really sure where to start.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

The sisters list though really is an exception that proves the rule though. That's really cool because its so rare.
It happened twice the same weekend! Both beat world eaters too heh. The other list had a bit more typical sisters tech though with the 30 arcos, but still a gorgeous army with conversions etc. I hoped they don't unbuff Morvenn before I get a chance to play her...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

Is there any viable way to do World Eaters without World Eaters? Just a Daemon Prince, Jakhals, Daemon Engines, and allied Daemons?

I'm having fun converting Corpse Grinders for Necromunda, and it occurred to me that enough of them could make an army. But maybe a stupid one.

Yeah, especially with a Lord of Skulls.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wrr posted:

I'm almost done with another DKoK unit and about to do my field ordinance batteries next. Gotta say that the prospect of doing my first conversion of regular old IG guys to DKoK guys is a bit daunting and I'm not really sure where to start.

Getting some gasmask'd heads would be the main thing imo

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

After that just learn to sculpt greenstuff coat tails and you should be golden.

As I recall GW did show off a heavily converted Krieg army on WarCom when the codex came out that you could check for ideas.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Happy Orktober. Got this guy from a fire sale years ago and his packaging was dated in the late 90's, but it was fun to work on a metal model again.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Happy Orktober. Got this guy from a fire sale years ago and his packaging was dated in the late 90's, but it was fun to work on a metal model again.

oh god the nostalgia
looks great

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I had that mini as a kid and keeping his left arm attached was impossible for me at the time

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wurzag posted:

I had that mini as a kid and keeping his left arm attached was impossible for me at the time

Same, but my old metal Avatar

Giving large metal models to literal children with no access to YouTube guides on pinning (or even any conception of the technique) was deeply hosed up and immoral.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wurzag posted:

I'm pretty sure I learned how to pin for this model for the same reason.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Got my SM Codex Cards and, uhhh, they no longer include Detachment Rules or Stratagems so this is the last set I'll be buying. Having those cards for quick reference was 90% of my usage of the Index Cards.

EDIT: ugh, double post.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Devorum posted:

Got my SM Codex Cards and, uhhh, they no longer include Detachment Rules or Stratagems so this is the last set I'll be buying. Having those cards for quick reference was 90% of my usage of the Index Cards.

EDIT: ugh, double post.

THEY DONT?! that's insane what a scam!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Don't worry, I'm sure they will sell those seperately lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wrr posted:

Please show off how it goes. I'm mid process on converting a field ordinance battery for my Vostroyans and would love to see what someone else did. I'd highly recommend swapping out the wheels, makes a huge difference to the overall vibe for the gun teams. I'll post an update soon on mine.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Is pinning necessary for resin models? I intend to buy a large-ish resin model soon, and I don't know what to expect, except a need for superglue.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Athas posted:

Is pinning necessary for resin models? I intend to buy a large-ish resin model soon, and I don't know what to expect, except a need for superglue.

I wouldn't say necessary, but it would be highly recommended.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Athas posted:

I pin anything I’m supergluing, particularly anything large is going to want to fall apart at every opportunity.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Athas posted:

I would say that it's less about the material and more about the size and connection. I have resin models that are regular infantry sized and were fine with glue, but larger pieces or ones where the join is more precarious definitely benefit from pinning. It's a little better than metal in that there is less weight in the model working against you, but pinning is still helpful.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Geisladisk posted:

Same, but my old metal Avatar

Giving large metal models to literal children with no access to YouTube guides on pinning (or even any conception of the technique) was deeply hosed up and immoral.

They had a pretty decent pinning guide in the LotR rulebook I got

My main issue was "I'm a small child and nobody in my family will let me use a pin vice"

And I shall take this grudge to my grave. Many grudges, in fact. One for every time my cave troll's arm fell off

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Athas posted:

If the connections are flat-on-flat, yes. Pinning is recommended for larger resin models. If it's just like a space marine arm/shoulder joint there's no need. A lot of the larger models have socketed connections though and a good super glue will hold that fine.

For general tips for resin, don't worry about it too much. It's a little softer than plastic, more flexible, and less brittle. If you sand it, clean up your area and consider wearing a mask if you'll be doing a lot of it. Be a little more careful with it than you would be with plastic, but it's really not bad to work with. I honestly prefer it in some respects. For example, you can apply heat to bend almost anything, it won't melt. I use a small heat gun for that, but a blow dryer or even just hot water will work too. I'm assuming this is a Forge World model so I want to stress that you should wash your resin before assembly. They use a release agent in casting this stuff and it can make glue bond weirdly or paint to slide off the model. This is less of a problem today than it was, most modern kits have almost no release agent on them, but it's not something you want to worry about. Use warm, soapy water and scrub with an old toothbrush or something similar.

Edit: If this is a finecast model, you won't need to wash the resin. Finecast is pretty awful to deal with though. It's way more brittle than good resin and will take every opportunity to bend. It was something of a stop gap GW developed that would still let them use the molds for pewter models. This leads to casting issues and the molds have been altered to include a bunch of little triangles to account for undercuts. There can be a lot of clean up involved. It's trash and I really recommend avoiding it if you can.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 24, 2023

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Safety Factor posted:

If the connections are flat-on-flat, yes. Pinning is recommended for larger resin models. If it's just like a space marine arm/shoulder joint there's no need. A lot of the larger models have socketed connections though and a good super glue will hold that fine.

For general tips for resin, don't worry about it too much. It's a little softer than plastic, more flexible, and less brittle. If you sand it, clean up your area and consider wearing a mask if you'll be doing a lot of it. Be a little more careful with it than you would be with plastic, but it's really not bad to work with. I honestly prefer it in some respects. For example, you can apply heat to bend almost anything, it won't melt. I use a small heat gun for that, but a blow dryer or even just hot water will work too. I'm assuming this is a Forge World model so I want to stress that you should wash your resin before assembly. They use a release agent in casting this stuff and it can make glue bond weirdly or paint to slide off the model. This is less of a problem today than it was, most modern kits have almost no release agent on them, but it's not something you want to worry about. Use warm, soapy water and scrub with an old toothbrush or something similar.

Edit: If this is a finecast model, you won't need to wash the resin. Finecast is pretty awful to deal with though. It's way more brittle than good resin and will take every opportunity to bend. It was something of a stop gap GW developed that would still let them use the molds for pewter models. This leads to casting issues and the molds have been altered to include a bunch of little triangles to account for undercuts. There can be a lot of clean up involved. It's trash and I really recommend avoiding it if you can.

Thanks, this is very useful. The two sets I intend buying are the Sagittarum Guard Upgrade Set (small bits of resin glued to plastic), which I'm not too worried about, and the Telemon Heavy Dreadnought, which will be the largest model I've ever assembled. From what I've reading, and by skimming the assembly instructions, it does not look like it will be too difficult by resin standards.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Thinking about adding a dreadblade Moirax to my CSM list. 10 points cheaper than a Forgefiend, but no Dark Pacts. I have yet to actually play a game of 10th so this is all theorycrafting, but does this make sense?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Athas posted:

Thanks, this is very useful. The two sets I intend buying are the Sagittarum Guard Upgrade Set (small bits of resin glued to plastic), which I'm not too worried about, and the Telemon Heavy Dreadnought, which will be the largest model I've ever assembled. From what I've reading, and by skimming the assembly instructions, it does not look like it will be too difficult by resin standards.
You won't need to worry about either one of those kits. The custodes range is modern and the sculpts/casts are great. FW's dreadnought kits always went together very well and that thing will be pretty poseable. You shouldn't need to pin much if anything. I recommend gluing one foot down and then building up the leg to the hips and then down the other leg to the second foot. It'll help get the pose right and you can adjust each individual piece as you go. Also dry fit multiple times before gluing anything. Always dry fit and take your time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a solution for "one box, one army"?

I'd like something where I can grab one container that fits 2000pts of miniatures

I bought a 4L of really awesome box, but it fits space marine characters, but if anyone is holding a banner, they're too tall. There's then 9L, but then it's too much wasted space to end up holding the large things like, a redemptor or a sororitas immolator or whatever. I really don't enjoy having to carry tons of different sized boxes, what's my options here? Can those expensive $120 carry cases hold 2000pts? Is that seriously my only option??

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd like something where I can grab one container that fits 2000pts of miniatures

I bought a 4L of really awesome box, but it fits space marine characters, but if anyone is holding a banner, they're too tall. There's then 9L, but then it's too much wasted space to end up holding the large things like, a redemptor or a sororitas immolator or whatever. I really don't enjoy having to carry tons of different sized boxes, what's my options here? Can those expensive $120 carry cases hold 2000pts? Is that seriously my only option??

This is 2000 points of space marines. It's a metal baking tray that cost $5 and fits in a big plastic box that cost $7. There were different heights of boxes so I got an 18" and an 8". These redemptors fit very nicely in the smaller one. I think the magnets under the bases were $8 total for more than this army.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 24, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

uh oh the World Eaters box has burrowed into my mind. My search history is now full of "Angron return probability" and "why are eightbound good" and poo poo.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Depending on whether you're playing Custodes or Stealer Cult that box could differ wildly in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I really like the sterilite stack and carry boxes. They are tall enough for almost all models except some characters and flying stands (contemptor dreads will fit, redemptors will not), which you can just put on their side. I like how you can just grab another set and add on for horde-y armies like sisters or orks, and still pick just one box for the whole army basically. I also like that it uses different levels so you can sort easily between troops, elites, etc.

Eventually I’ll magnetize them but in the meantime they’re very good for sorting.

This is what I’m talking about but idk if it’s the best price:

https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-...ck/-/A-85032656

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2023