Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
thinking back to that degrom presser where he talked about signing with texas to win championships

also thinking back to how much i made fun of that press conference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't think anyone ever hated Dusty as a person, just as a manager. He just seems like the coolest dude who makes inexplicable baseball decisions

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Honestly Phillies or dbacks collecting their rings works for me so whichever one advances I'm rooting for.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I’m sympathetic to that to a degree but there’s been too much Philadelphia Invented Being Sports Fans sentiment floating around so they need to be chastised

They were pretty staunchly chastized last year when they lost 3 different championship series/games

plus I'd like to avoid the eye rolling aggravation of all the rangers fans saying they have the same number of championships as the astros if they win it which will 100% happen

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Things still grow there - work to be done

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

They were pretty staunchly chastized last year when they lost 3 different championship series/games

plus I'd like to avoid the eye rolling aggravation of all the rangers fans saying they have the same number of championships as the astros if they win it which will 100% happen

That’s true I will say that if the Rangers win

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

I don't think anyone ever hated Dusty as a person, just as a manager. He just seems like the coolest dude who makes inexplicable baseball decisions

He’s still very popular (as a dude) in the front office here. One of my direct teammates has been here a really long time and always gets dinner with Dusty when he’s in town, and that teammate was like an intern back when Dusty was manager.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

My unsolicited Astros cheating thoughts are that baseball fans grow up learning the mythology of the Black Sox and this generation suddenly had a comparable team-wide scandal. The news coming out while the Astros were in a World Series meant it got amplified attention not just from casual fans, but the general public. It happened at the apex of when it could rile people up. It was a bad thing, but it was exciting and people were fascinated not just with the method but to see how the league would react.

The scheme was systematized, so it was easy and mostly correct to label the team (minus the pitching staff and how much you want to believe Altuve) guilty. And because they’d won a World Series it was easy to see a vacated title as a fitting punishment. MLB doesn’t exist in a vacuum. People are familiar with NCAA stripping titles. Even if it’s a joke in college sports, it’s still ~*official*~.

IMO people are angry because the punishment didn’t fit. Luhnow and Hinch getting suspended felt incomplete. A stripped World Series is probably the last precedent MLB wants to establish, and even if they did want that or some other big punishment their investigation had issues collecting evidence and the union did a good job protecting its members. But the court of public opinion doesn’t care. Not being able to boo the team at games during the 2020 season probably contributed to people feeling cheated, too.

The Astros are a very good and legitimate team now and they won last year’s World Series fair and square. But because of the perceived lack of punishment I think most people will only stop thinking of them as villains and cheering against them once their window closes and they rebuild.

As for steroids and spider tack, both have their defenders. Hell, there were those reports of position players being glad pitchers had more command. The use of both was also ubiquitous enough that they’re woven into the game for the timeframe they peaked. The Astros being a singular bad guy that did something unique* was a pretty universal opinion and trying to draw comparisons to steroids or spider tack is apples and oranges.

*For what it’s worth, MLB did an excellent job downplaying whatever it was the Red Sox and Yankees did. Even though the Red Sox won a title and Cora got suspended, it sounds like they’d stopped by 2019 and their news didn’t break while they were playing in the game’s championship series.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eat poo poo.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Would prefer Philly to win tomorrow (and the WS as well), but I wouldn't be upset if the sneks somehow pulled off the comeback from down 0-2 in the LCS that the Astros proved incapable of tonight.

Either way, feels like old times this year. Rooting for the NL team in the WS back in the Astros silver age (2003-2006 and in general... but not in 2004, was rooting for the Red Sox to break their curse against the dastardly Cardinals that year).

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Astros fans running a Hall of Fame manager out of town, such a shame. that's an 85 win team next year and you hate to see it, folks

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

https://x.com/astros/status/1708611774914654272?s=20

Enjoy the silver boot, hope you enjoyed the division.

to be fair, they are celebrating in Houston tonight

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I will vehemently boo the Astros as long as Crane owns the team. Doesn't matter when all the players from '17 are gone; the banner is still up there

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I kind of don't want Tommy Pham to get a ring either

and I want Bryce to get a ring, the humor of the Nats winning the year after he left has kind of worn out and I want him to get one
I think Harper is the single player remaining that I'd most like to see get a ring

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1716659230663459191?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I think Harper is the single player remaining that I'd most like to see get a ring

For me it's Shohei (as long as it's not for a non Astros AL West team or the Yankees, Cubs or Red Sox) but Bryce is up there with him

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh lol I meant remaining in this postseason

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

oh lol I meant remaining in this postseason

ah my mistake, in that case yes very much so

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

that man spoke at my high school graduation, breaks my heart to sehahahahahahahahahaha

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm... Feeling relatively fine about the loss. If Dusty never comes back (thanks for 22 champ) then I'm kinda okay with it.

Go Phillies, sweep the Rangers. Y'all were cool as poo poo last year in the World Series so I've nothing but respect for the posters here. Rangers posters were like Braves posters so I hope they lose forever and ever.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 24, 2023

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

yeah, agreed.

corey seager too

:v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

He deserves to be heckled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

I'm... Feeling relatively fine about the loss. If Dusty never comes back (thanks for 22 champ) then I'm kinda okay with it.

Go Phillies, sweep the Rangers. Y'all were cool as poo poo last year in the World Series so I've nothing but respect for the posters here. Rangers posters were like Braves posters so I hope they lose forever and ever.

Oh he gone

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1716667144577208459

You guys wanna see Espada or an outside guy

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I'm feeling even better now about it.

I'm good with Espada honestly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

thinking back to that degrom presser where he talked about signing with texas to win championships

also thinking back to how much i made fun of that press conference

and now if it happens he'll have literally nothing to do with it

zoux posted:

Oh he gone

I'm fine with Espada

Please not Cintron

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Dude is still making a poo poo ton of money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Oh he gone

I hear Joe Maddon's looking to get back in the game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Feels like Astros ownership has cover to cut spending and pull back for a bit now if they want to.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

gently caress Mattress Mack.

I hope this fall and winter is the coldest, cruelest, and most uncomfortable he’s ever felt in his life. I hope he feels it in his bones.

And I am not talking about the weather in Houston.

I’m talking about the cold reality of life, the cruelty of age, and the cold feeling of impending doom combined with the knowledge that nobody in his family nor in his home town loves him.

Other than that, good series Astros fans.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Intruder posted:

and now if it happens he'll have literally nothing to do with it

Rangers won all 6 games he started and would have missed the playoffs if they lost any one of them

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

I’m sympathetic to that to a degree but there’s been too much Philadelphia Invented Being Sports Fans sentiment floating around so they need to be chastised

Wat

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you don’t understand then it’s not for you, and that’s okay

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

For me it's Shohei (as long as it's not for a non Astros AL West team or the Yankees, Cubs or Red Sox) but Bryce is up there with him

Shohei's going to win a ring with the Mariners

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

If you don’t understand then it’s not for you, and that’s okay

Unless you're referring to something specific it just seems like a lame generic criticism you could lob at any east coast fanbase.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No I would and do only say it about Philly lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gently caress Mattress Mack, but I’m pretty sure this is from last year’s WS.

zoux posted:

Oh he gone

Just give it to Espada already. He wants the job, none of his interviews elsewhere panned out, and I’d rather not roll the dice in the off-season and end up with Maddon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just give it to Espada already. He wants the job, none of his interviews elsewhere panned out, and I’d rather not roll the dice in the off-season and end up with Maddon.

Dusty will replace Bob Melvin in San Diego.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not really a surprise

https://twitter.com/marlownyc/status/1716658347254923438?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Timby posted:

Dusty will replace Bob Melvin in San Diego.

Don’t you put that evil on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Now I'm not the biggest baseball expert, but I'm confident that tonight is a must-win game