Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Old uptime strats used this and I guess SE thought it was happening a little bit too often so starting in E9S all savage mechanical failures started giving damage downs instead of vuln ups.

Still exists in extremes though. Zodiark EX has a number of situations where vuln ups give more uptime.

The story I heard about that was that it was causing too much "healers adjust" strife so things were rearranged so that the punishment for getting hit by mechanics affected the player who did so directly. But I heard that well after the fact so if there's any documented comments about it at the time from devs I'd love to hear them. That explanation doesn't explain it being left the same in Extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Electric Phantasm posted:

Intentionally taking damage to give yourself advantage is badass tbh.

The WoL is a Saiyan and gets stronger each time they nearly kill themselves.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Funky Valentine posted:

The WoL is a Saiyan and gets stronger each time they nearly kill themselves.

Farming for tomestones isn't that bad even though we joke about the grind.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
BLUE MAGE ADVICE -

Get the rez spell before spending much (or any) time doing group content. You are a burden to your team if you come in without the rez spell.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bruceski posted:

The story I heard about that was that it was causing too much "healers adjust" strife so things were rearranged so that the punishment for getting hit by mechanics affected the player who did so directly. But I heard that well after the fact so if there's any documented comments about it at the time from devs I'd love to hear them. That explanation doesn't explain it being left the same in Extremes.

i don't know if there's ever been an explicit confirmation that that's why they did it, but before it happened, vuln related uptime strats were pretty much always used if they could be used. same with overshielding past mechanics until they changed how crit adlo works.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

BLUE MAGE ADVICE -

Get the rez spell before spending much (or any) time doing group content. You are a burden to your team if you come in without the rez spell.

Emptyquote. The only thing more important is not dying in the content, but we know you can't always manage that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

aegof posted:

Emptyquote. The only thing more important is not dying in the content, but we know you can't always manage that.

There have been multiple times now where I have to burn an emergency rez because someone (often the tank) died when the boss is low health. But then I die in the process because the boss comes and smacks me. And then, oops, no one has a rez and they kill the boss anyway. They'll often offer to run it again but like, gently caress man, I just spent 20 minutes doing this and I don't want to immediately do it again.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I can't help myself it seems. I made a joke in FC about mentor/legend titles and somebody asked me "what's wrong with legend titles?" and I had to say I can't elaborate on that. I should just STFU in game.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Joe Chip posted:

I can't help myself it seems. I made a joke in FC about mentor/legend titles and somebody asked me "what's wrong with legend titles?" and I had to say I can't elaborate on that. I should just STFU in game.

You should've just said "the vibe is atrocious."

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

lol the Self-Concious Legend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ran through some of the containment bays cause im tired of not being able to run z1t9 unreal for a catbook square. The tunes are really good!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

ran through some of the containment bays cause im tired of not being able to run z1t9 unreal for a catbook square. The tunes are really good!
They are cool. Sadly the current unreal has been changed to Thordan, but luckily that fight owns too

e: oh wait are unreals even in catbook? Maybe just extremes that you can unsync

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mordiceius posted:

BLUE MAGE ADVICE -

I've been meaning to do this, but I keep staring down the barrel of fights #29 and #30, and apparently 29 in particular really sucks. Are there any level 80 spells that are worth grabbing without having the rez yet for those fights / fresh strategies with the level cap increase, or do I just need to grind out learning these fights the hard way?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Antivehicular posted:

I've been meaning to do this, but I keep staring down the barrel of fights #29 and #30, and apparently 29 in particular really sucks. Are there any level 80 spells that are worth grabbing without having the rez yet for those fights / fresh strategies with the level cap increase, or do I just need to grind out learning these fights the hard way?

Goblin Punch is pretty great.

Edit: Mortal Flame, Sea Shanty, and Apokalypsis all come from dungeons so maybe not the most dire thing to show up to without the rez.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 24, 2023

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

have they improved faux hollows at all? when they were first put in the rewards were pretty underwhelming and the unreals they were picking were straight up not fun to pug… cotanks in titan were so bad lmao.

haven’t done any in a dog’s age. but as they pull from better fights i might be interested again

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

have they improved faux hollows at all? when they were first put in the rewards were pretty underwhelming and the unreals they were picking were straight up not fun to pug… cotanks in titan were so bad lmao.

haven’t done any in a dog’s age. but as they pull from better fights i might be interested again
Honestly for quite a while unreals have been one of the single most profitable gil per time spent things in the game, not that everyone cares about that. I love a ton of the mounts and minions, and by spending an hour a week I get like 8 million extra gil every few weeks.

I think they've only gotten more valuable with 6.5. There are just a ton of rewards that are consistently in demand, they're always adding more, and I think this fight is harder than a lot of the previous ones

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kaubocks posted:

It’s still mounts and minions, but the current fight is one of the best they’ve ever done.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I really wish I could use the Jesus/flower child hair but there's barely a single top in the game it doesn't outrageously clip through, and I'm someone who clipping usually doesn't bother at all

This is a big part of why I've moved from that hairstyle (or at least I assume that's the one you're talking about, Great Lengths) to the Hephaistos hairstyle.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I skipped 29 and did 30 and 31.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I stopped leveling my Blu because I couldn't kill the mobs for the needle spell (super early on). Should maybe go back and try leveling it again.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Square introduce color contacts so I don't have to use a fantasia to change my eye color bitch

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's actually a long-established concept in game design where choices degenerate from a group of varied and valid selections to one optimal action and this reduces the number of effective decisions to make, and thus engage with the game in. This is what "degenerate" design means. Unfortunately modern political discourse has given the term unfortunate connotations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Intentionally taking damage to give yourself advantage is badass tbh.

I thought the consensus was that Diabolos Hollow was lame. Or is that just because of the music

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Runa posted:

There's actually a long-established concept in game design where choices degenerate from a group of varied and valid selections to one optimal action and this reduces the number of effective decisions to make, and thus engage with the game in. This is what "degenerate" design means. Unfortunately modern political discourse has given the term unfortunate connotations.

Except that person wasn't talking about game design but a specified person's behavior lol

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You know else says "degeneracy"?

That's right, mathematicians

Wikipedia posted:

In mathematics, a degenerate case is a limiting case of a class of objects which appears to be qualitatively different from (and usually simpler than) the rest of the class,[1] and the term degeneracy is the condition of being a degenerate case.[2]

100% healer parsing is degenerate in this sense, in that it simplifies matters by completely ignoring the need to actually do any healing. That's what he meant (and I know he has a mathematical background).

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 24, 2023

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Joe Chip posted:

you can just say they bought their clears, it's fine

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Qwertycoatl posted:

so you're saying we should ban it, then

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except that person wasn't talking about game design but a specified person's behavior lol

Who cares? It was a joke. Remember those or is it always anger now?

I swear the first time I heard that word as a kid it was from a cartoon like, Jesus.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Qwertycoatl posted:

100% healer parsing is degenerate in this sense, in that it simplifies matters by completely ignoring the need to actually do any healing. That's what he meant (and I know he has a mathematical background).

This is definitely what I read it as in this context (am a mathematician).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Antivehicular posted:

My top 3 pieces of advice for Masked Carnivale #29 are:

1. Make sure your HUD is set up so that any debuffs you're affected by are in a highly visible place. The boss in the second half of the fight casts what's effectively a Doom debuff (that doesn't use a standard Doom debuff icon) that needs to be cleansed immediately, but has no cast bar and the animation for it is subtle enough that it can be easily missed with how busy the rest of the fight is. So what will end up happening is that you'll be cruising along just fine only to abruptly die out of nowhere with no indication of what you did wrong. And it's not just a one time gotcha moment, he'll cast it again multiple times throughout the fight, so you need to stay vigilant about it.

2. Watch Meoni's walkthrough for the fight. The spell selection is three years out of date, but it's still worth watching because Meoni actually bothers to explain their load out choices (which makes it easier for you to decide your own load out based on what you have), and then actually explains what they're doing and why during the fight itself, which can help you figure out what you need to adjust based on your own playstyle and load out.

3. Don't be afraid to just skip it and come back later. 29 is probably hands down one of the hardest solo fights in the game just because of how much bullshit it throws at you with minimal margin for error. Take it at your own pace, don't be afraid to try it and fail at it a few times, but also don't be afraid to just walk away and move on to one of the other fights if it's not clicking for you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

"Degenerate" has absolutely been co-opted by twitch and crap and is no longer a dogwhistle really, much like the "yes" chad and other memes that have gone through the meme grinder.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In my experience, which is obviously universal degenerate is a playful insult you use when people are being a little too saucy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't judge the perfect legends who are out getting killed by easy mechanics in alliance raids but I do assume the ones who do nothing but stand around afk all day bought their clears

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I am judging them, all the time. This includes the people I know personally and watched prog and clear for their titles. They too will know their shame.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
When I hear the word "degenerate," all I think of is that dumb Family Guy gag where Peter responds to being called a degenerate with, "A 'degenerate,' am I? Well you are a festigio! Yeah, see? I can make up words, too!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've seen 'degenerate tactics' in reference to video game stuff since the 90s. It's one of those terms I thought was pretty commonplace but maybe it fell out of favor due to the associate with the Absolute Shitheads and I never noticed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know how many times i need to say 'i know he didnt mean it in a racist way but someone could take it as more aggro than he meant it because of that context' before this derail ends

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I am not anti using the word “degenerate” in a joking way but it was used by literally the nazis you guys it’s not like a new thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if someone i was in a discord with called me a degenerate as a playful insult i would kill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

if someone i was in a discord with called me a degenerate as a playful insult i would kill them

PvP in raids is some of the most fun in Alliance/Normal Raids you can have with friends.