Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

doomer brain damage lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

poronty posted:

"Cozy". Why is everything suddenly cozy. Like literally everything is goddamn "cozy" now.

Is this some sort of collective immune response to all the loving wars and general hell breaking loose in the world? Sorry, starting to shoehorn a new buzzword everywhere won't just magically make it all go away. Just stop it with this saccharine cozycore poo poo and face the apocalypse head on.

Agreed. "Hygge" is the correct word.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I work adjacent to medical research and every time I visit family I have to field questions about why Big Pharma is hiding the cure to cancer

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I sincerely don't get why every now and then my Internet just sucks rear end for a few hours and then randomly goes back to normal. It's just been happening for years and years.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Killingyouguy! posted:

I work adjacent to medical research and every time I visit family I have to field questions about why Big Pharma is hiding the cure to cancer

Same but environmental management and global warming :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Killingyouguy! posted:

Tell them it’s more profitable to sell medicine their whole lives than to give one cure

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
"Deep dive" no, your 19 minutes YouTube magnum opus is not a "deep dive" into the plug socket. gently caress off calling what's at most a Wikipedia article's TLDR "deep". I expect at least 3 semesters of material if you want to call your content "deep dive". Even better, never use that cursed expression ever again. And it's always used for the most superficial crap "PC connectors deep dive: learn to tell a HDMI port from a USB port", gently caress off!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

karoshi posted:

"Deep dive" no, your 19 minutes YouTube magnum opus is not a "deep dive" into the plug socket. gently caress off calling what's at most a Wikipedia article's TLDR "deep". I expect at least 3 semesters of material if you want to call your content "deep dive". Even better, never use that cursed expression ever again. And it's always used for the most superficial crap "PC connectors deep dive: learn to tell a HDMI port from a USB port", gently caress off!

My man, have you heard of Technology Connections?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Every time I'm certain I need one more good night's sleep to get over my illness, I have a poo poo night of sleep and wake up feeling even worse. I'm thinking I might actually die next time I go to bed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People posting snapchat stories that are just "went to the gym today"

Like ok cool that sure is you in a locker room at the gym, never seen that, except for almost every day. Congrats, but I've been in those too. It smells and an elderly person will definitely get naked in front of you.

Especially when it's my best friend cuz like, pal, we talk daily and I know you're more interesting than Hawkeye posing in sweatpants!!!!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like ok cool that sure is you in a locker room at the gym, never seen that, except for almost every day. Congrats, but I've been in those too. It smells and an elderly person will definitely get naked in front of you.

Especially when it's my best friend cuz like, pal, we talk daily and I know you're more interesting than Hawkeye posing in sweatpants!!!!!

It often seems like you just don't like your friends, EAH.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
No lie, if my "friends" were secretly seething about how my social media posts aren't interesting enough for them, i would prefer they simply not follow me on social media. Why are you sitting around thinking resentful thoughts about people you like????

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I mean I also don't like EAH's friends. They sound lame.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That said, there are some awful cases of passive voice-itis due to people being so social media posting-oriented.

A guy I dated would occasionally just send these insanely detached messages, as if he was posting somewhere to pull in replies/status updates.
'really nice with some fresh waffles :)'
'enjoyed a run around the park.'

Said guy was also a tedious dweeb, so i guess it was just a yellow flag.
I still see him stalking my dating profile every now and then, like 8 years later, Christ.

E: additional peeve, there was Lego at Copenhagen airport. But my bag could not fit a 10,000 piece, 1meter tall Lego eiffel tower in it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Buy a ticket for the tower, like a true Lego lover

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SubNat posted:

That said, there are some awful cases of passive voice-itis due to people being so social media posting-oriented.

A guy I dated would occasionally just send these insanely detached messages, as if he was posting somewhere to pull in replies/status updates.
'really nice with some fresh waffles :)'
'enjoyed a run around the park.'

Said guy was also a tedious dweeb, so i guess it was just a yellow flag.
I still see him stalking my dating profile every now and then, like 8 years later, Christ.

E: additional peeve, there was Lego at Copenhagen airport. But my bag could not fit a 10,000 piece, 1meter tall Lego eiffel tower in it

Sorry I am about to become a peeve...Those aren't passive voice. Passive voice would be like, "Waffles were eaten," emphasizing the object rather than the subject. It's used a lot in technical writing where first person is just Not Done. I don't know what you'd call that style of writing, but I hate it too.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

it's possible to "break up" with friends. Like it sucks, but it seems like it's causing you a lot of extra stress, EAH

InediblePenguin posted:

No lie, if my "friends" were secretly seething about how my social media posts aren't interesting enough for them, i would prefer they simply not follow me on social media. Why are you sitting around thinking resentful thoughts about people you like????

Or this. Sometimes people are fine in person but suck on social media.

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Oct 25, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

idc if their social media is boring. It’s better than them being loud and racist or whatever. Don’t see any more that bc all the people who did that I left their rear end on Facebook lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have one big rear end correction for you folks, and that is, no I definitely love my best friend tho

Gonna go ahead and redact my peeve to just be snapchat in her defense because she rules

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Sorry I am about to become a peeve...Those aren't passive voice.

Getting corrected isn't a peeve of mine, thankfully.
I used the term without being entirely sure what it meant, that's on me.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man who is taking locker room selfies anyway. Cameras out of the room we gotta get naked in dammit. The whole rest of the gym is full of mirrors for that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Sorry I am about to become a peeve...Those aren't passive voice. Passive voice would be like, "Waffles were eaten," emphasizing the object rather than the subject. It's used a lot in technical writing where first person is just Not Done. I don't know what you'd call that style of writing, but I hate it too.

that's okay, strunk and white didn't know what the passive voice was either

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This might be a kind of accountability thing? Like if you don’t have a gym buddy to jolly you along into going, you do a post to say you went. It’s the kind of thing I would do ten years ago when I was learning to lift by myself. Like, a proxy pat in the back for getting my poo poo together on the regular.
It’s good to be internally motivated but some people need a bit of external motivation and accountability to keep up their healthy habits.

E: I never posted locker room photos. More like a picture of the weights I had on the bar, or a “hey I squatted 160lb today it’s my best yet”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk people are just bored and want attention. That’s the only reason I post on social media. I want that dopamine hit for someone liking something I did even if it’s as normal as that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you're in someone's car and they take a phone call and never mention that there are other people present. Say "Hey, you're on speaker and Tiggum is also here" otherwise I'm being forced to eavesdrop. The person who phoned you doesn't know anyone else is listening if you don't tell them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
People who use their lovely phones on speaker and it sounds like they're inside a metal tube or something.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Get your goddamn children out of the zoom call. We're trying to have a work meeting

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SubNat posted:

Getting corrected isn't a peeve of mine, thankfully.
I used the term without being entirely sure what it meant, that's on me.
*the term was used.

Hahaha, sorry. Had to make it passive voice.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tiggum posted:

When you're in someone's car and they take a phone call and never mention that there are other people present. Say "Hey, you're on speaker and Tiggum is also here" otherwise I'm being forced to eavesdrop. The person who phoned you doesn't know anyone else is listening if you don't tell them.
Loudly to nobody in particular.
"Well, since nobody else will, guess I might as well introduce myself!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having to introduce my wife to no one in particular and explain things hurts my feelings

I get why perhaps it's annoying to constantly be like "my wife thinks..."

But people like my mother also get aggro if I'm too "my wife" and like

idk I'm sorry, but she's the best thing that ever happened to me, my 3.5th favourite person after the people we literally made, and like there's no possession when I say "my wife", she says "my husband," constantly, it was a mutual decision!! Having a courthouse marriage and avoiding people during was a big rear end deal!! Plus she's a bodacious babe just sayin

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

what

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having to introduce my wife to no one in particular and explain things hurts my feelings

I get why perhaps it's annoying to constantly be like "my wife thinks..."

But people like my mother also get aggro if I'm too "my wife" and like

idk I'm sorry, but she's the best thing that ever happened to me, my 3.5th favourite person after the people we literally made, and like there's no possession when I say "my wife", she says "my husband," constantly, it was a mutual decision!! Having a courthouse marriage and avoiding people during was a big rear end deal!! Plus she's a bodacious babe just sayin

I think it’s nice that you love your wife, I don’t think anyone will ever love me like that (I am not bodacious or a babe or even particularly clever or nice). But I can also see how you get a rep as a wife guy, on the forums at least.
Still, it is good to live your partner so I can’t hate on that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My ex left me for a friend of ours named Chad

Like in between screaming at her for doing this to me we couldn't help but share a chuckle at the unfortunate coincidence of name and trending meme poo poo

uh so point is gently caress love

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Borat voice my wife

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ok this is stupid but I'm irritated

I have a blog about local history. I share my posts on a couple local history Facebook groups.

The biggest of these groups has an admin that just locks down the posts in pending. My last entry has been pending since Thursday; he's let through multiple extremely off-topic posts since then, including the huge colorful words saying WOW WHAT A GEEAT PIC or THANKS FOR LETTING ME IN THE FROUP I LOVE HIDTORY but passes over mine every time

So I tried switching to a decently-populated local history subreddit and it was auto-deleted.

I'm going out of my way to make thoughtfully-researched posts about the topic and the actual administration of every single place I can post I actively deleting it in favor of literal spam.

gently caress it I give up, people can just find me if they're so inclined

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate the clocks changing in the UK. It didn't matter before it had kids, but it has an inordinate effect on the under 5s, and made this morning a LIVING HELL.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Halloween has a weird placement here in Norway in that it's not really an official thing, but it's popular with kids/etc. You do get the raving bands of sugar crazed kids, depending a lot on where you are.

But I think this is the first time I've encountered kids going 'Was that X? I don't like that'.
And my god child, one of the core parts of Halloween is bartering, swapping, and trying to trick other kids into trading the things you don't like, for things you do like.

There are a couple extremely small, extremely polite kids too, so thankfully it evens out. (And they like the giant 3d printed lego decoration.)

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SubNat posted:

But I think this is the first time I've encountered kids going 'Was that X? I don't like that'.
And my god child, one of the core parts of Halloween is bartering, swapping, and trying to trick other kids into trading the things you don't like, for things you do like.

I actually had this happen last year. I started giving out full-size candy bars after COVID and my house got popular. I had box from Amazon with Three Musketeers, Milky Way, Twix, and Snickers bars. I let the kids pick one.

One kid comes up, looks at the box and says, "I don't like any of those." At first I thought I misheard him. So I told him to pick one. Again, "I don't like any of those." The kids behind him were like "Dude, just pick one." Finally he looks up at me and says, "Do you have any others?" I had to exercise a lot of self-restraint but ended up just saying, "Nope, sorry." So the kid walks off with nothing.

I don't know...at least the other kids were thrilled.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

MightyJoe36 posted:

I actually had this happen last year. I started giving out full-size candy bars after COVID and my house got popular. I had box from Amazon with Three Musketeers, Milky Way, Twix, and Snickers bars. I let the kids pick one.

One kid comes up, looks at the box and says, "I don't like any of those." At first I thought I misheard him. So I told him to pick one. Again, "I don't like any of those." The kids behind him were like "Dude, just pick one." Finally he looks up at me and says, "Do you have any others?" I had to exercise a lot of self-restraint but ended up just saying, "Nope, sorry." So the kid walks off with nothing.

This is the world liberals want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Love it when somebody emails me asking me to do something last week, I respond the next day saying "Okay I did thing. Left a few comments in the document. Please address those and you're good to go," and then get an email today asking if I did the thing.

Yes. I did the thing. I told you last week. I can see the email I sent in the chain! I just copy-pasted what I sent before and sent it again. Like people PLEASE READ YOUR EMAILS for the love of god.