Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kesper North posted:

and in EVE Online, real-life wars impact the economy

It's a good time to invade Stain :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wibla posted:

It's a good time to invade Stain :haw:

Man, it never occurred to me, but the old truism of "don't gently caress with the Russians" probably no longer applies huh lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Starfield is quite fun, having gone into it with absolutely no expectations or hype. The first time I'd heard of it was about 3 months before it launched. This is a nice change from the sim style of Elite, which I'm taking a break from

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Man, it never occurred to me, but the old truism of "don't gently caress with the Russians" probably no longer applies huh lol

They keep grudges forever, I still wouldn't...

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

HonorableTB posted:

Starfield is quite fun, having gone into it with absolutely no expectations or hype. The first time I'd heard of it was about 3 months before it launched. This is a nice change from the sim style of Elite, which I'm taking a break from

For all it's typical Todd Howard based flaws, I've been really enjoying it as well. It's fun for what it is, and I keep looking forward to getting back into it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve got 90 hours in Starfield and am overall really enjoying it. I will say though that this is the first Bethesda game I’ve played where the overriding emotion is “what a missed opportunity.” But because it’s Bethesda, I know essentially every thing I want in the game will eventually be realized by modders or DLC.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I can't stomach the way everything's chopped up and accessible only via menu interactions, and the level of proc gen assets they used. The original thing that sold me on Bethesda games, and in latter years the only thing about them that kept me coming back, was the "I wonder what's over that hill" effect. Walking around Morrowind, Skyrim and even Oblivion you'd be like "hey look over there, I wonder if there's a pretty pool, some bears, a cave, a bandit camp... etc." and there always was.

In Starfield that whole experience has been surgically removed and replaced with a menu. They still have the little emergent encounters and discoveries but because they're bookended by lists and loading screens it just makes it all feel ridiculous. It's kinda like everything's a Gloomhaven road encounter, you menu your way to a transitional space, then menu your way out of it, and it can only be interesting if the game decides to throw a slice of whimsy your way in the middle. I kinda expected it to be a smaller star system with mini-Skyrim worlds on each planet, instead of 1000 pointless bland expanses of proc-gen poo poo that other games (including the one we're playing) already does better.

So I struggled on for about 20 hours then started to notice the onset of copy-paste POIs, I was doing some of the radiant quests along with main missions and ended up being sent to the same Hoth ice planet dungeon like 3 times in a row, and not on the same planet, it was just the exact same random POI generated in different places. Identical from enemy placement right down to the emails in the computers. To be only 20 hours into a Bethesda RPG and see repetition like that is unforgivable, imo. As dumb as it sounds, the fun little emails in computers or posed skellingtons that tell a little incidental story as you explore are among my favourite things about exploring Bethesda games, if even that is just copy-pasted what's left for me? The story of "find a rock 12 times!?" gently caress, man. I was stunned.

I know people are still managing to enjoy it and I understand why; it still contains the basic elements of a compelling RPG. The gunplay isn't even bad, so I'm not blaming anyone for having a good time. For something made by one of the biggest developers of our age, for a $415 million dollar budget, it is frankly pathetic though. IMO you can't be producing something that janky while hanging out in the Rockstar dollar range.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 24, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I keep wanting to reinstall Elite, but then I remember that, because I suck at Combat, and they nerfed the profit of core mining which I actually enjoyed, I'm not sure what there is to do.

I really like the ship designs, and I the setting; I *want* to sink hours into the game, but it's just frustrating.

I have enough credits to buy any ship in the game, although not enough to blow up a Corvette every session, but I really didn't like the Engineer grind of having to fly around hunting a shopping list of mats all over the galaxy...

Guh, I guess I'll check it out again later today.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

*Starfield mentioned*

Tommy the Newt:

I knew it and I love it.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Annath posted:

I keep wanting to reinstall Elite, but then I remember that, because I suck at Combat, and they nerfed the profit of core mining which I actually enjoyed, I'm not sure what there is to do.

I really like the ship designs, and I the setting; I *want* to sink hours into the game, but it's just frustrating.

I have enough credits to buy any ship in the game, although not enough to blow up a Corvette every session, but I really didn't like the Engineer grind of having to fly around hunting a shopping list of mats all over the galaxy...

Guh, I guess I'll check it out again later today.

Core mining is still lucrative enough to be worth doing, it's not like piracy or something which has just become a complete waste of time. I still core mine sometimes just for a change. Combat is also not the most lucrative thing in game, if making credits is your goal then trading or exobiology are faster.

Engineering isn't fun by most people's standards but unless you're playing in Open or actively trying to pursue co-op faction goals or kill thargoids you don't really have to mess with it, or at least you don't have to mess with it in the same terms PvP or BGS nerds do. Going to grade 3 on the essentials is enough to do basically all PvE well enough.

The game is still frustrating, don't get me wrong, but being bad at combat doesn't really matter as much as you think. Most players suck at Elite combat, tbqh.

Natsuumi posted:

*Starfield mentioned*

Tommy the Newt:

I knew it and I love it.

Luckily nobody mentioned Conda vs Corvette DPS on the same page, or I would've popped a blood vessel.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 24, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tommy the Newt posted:

Core mining is still lucrative enough to be worth doing, it's not like piracy or something which has just become a complete waste of time. I still core mine sometimes just for a change. Combat is also not the most lucrative thing in game, if making credits is your goal then trading or exobiology are faster.

Engineering isn't fun by most people's standards but unless you're playing in Open or actively trying to pursue co-op faction goals or kill thargoids you don't really have to mess with it, or at least you don't have to mess with it in the same terms PvP or BGS nerds do. Going to grade 3 on the essentials is enough to do basically all PvE well enough.

The game is still frustrating, don't get me wrong, but being bad at combat doesn't really matter as much as you think. Most players suck at Elite combat, tbqh.

Luckily nobody mentioned Conda vs Corvette DPS on the same page, or I would've popped a blood vessel.

When you say "exobiology", what do you mean?

I haven't played in a while, but I knew about mapping/scanning, and breaking rocks on the surface for resources, but I hadn't heard of anything else.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's a new exploration thing for Odyssey. You land on certain planets and wave your dingus about to find candidates for Fungus of the Year

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Yeah, shoot plants with the plant gun. Show those plants who's boss. It was embarrassingly poorly rewarded at launch and they removed the plant-scanning minigame because people hated it so much, but then in classic Fdev fashion they took a wild swing at rebalancing it without really thinking it through, now it's one of the most lucrative things in the game.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I made a few billion off of first footfall exobiology scans on my trip to Sag A*.

It's very Zen like core mining

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The gameplay loop for it is still loving awful though. I’ll stay at one plant discovered until they at least remove being locked in to one type until you get 3 samples. It needs a complete rework a la core/ssd mining though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

kemikalkadet posted:

The gameplay loop for it is still loving awful though. I’ll stay at one plant discovered until they at least remove being locked in to one type until you get 3 samples. It needs a complete rework a la core/ssd mining though.

The trick is you only go for the high value targets like stratum or another one. If I see a planet with a possibility of a high value target, I just get those. One complete stratum scan is worth ~120 million on a first footfall planet. Don't waste time scanning bacteria for a measly 1-5 million.

I find that being picky about what I scan for makes it more of a hunt than a slog for every system.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tommy the Newt posted:

Combat is also not the most lucrative thing in game, if making credits is your goal then trading or exobiology are faster.

I make all my billions through combat and I'm great at it :c00lbert:

doing pirate massacre missions while AFK is technically combat

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This just got added to PSPlus Extra, so I get to play it again after like 8 years. Does the stuff in the early part of the thread still apply to making money? Is cartography profitable finally? What's this SRV poo poo? This is not my beautiful house!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If you're playing it on PSPlus I assume that means "On a console", and they abandoned the console versions so yeah pretty much everything pre-2021 is still going to apply-- but that also means that nearly anything involving "finding specific commodities or resources" via 3rd party trade sites won't be valid for you

If you find anything that explicitly says it's "for Horizons", that's what you're going to want to use as a baseline; anything post-2021 is going to be iffier

Cartography is good cash [url=https://gamerant.com/elite-dangerous-guide-road-to-riches-get-rich/]if you're finding earthlikes[/spoiler]

SRV is for moon buggying on planets

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
There are some spooky purple paintjobs on twitch. The event lasts until November 5th or something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Looks like there's a zombie apocalypse for Helloween going on, heh.

Either that, or Frontier has run out of budget to make more alien ships, so the Thargoids are now mind-controlling human pilots. :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Either that, or Frontier has run out of budget to make more alien ships, so the Thargoids are now mind-controlling human pilots. :v:

The funny thing is that there's been a "the thargoids are kidnapping people and nobody knows why" plot that's been going on for...months? a year? that everyone was side-eyeing expecting that we'll never see a thargoid in foot-vs-foot combat and just get zombie thargoid humans instead

and then this event drops out of left field that's completely unrelated zombie humans because someone broadcast a brown tone over the radio (and it's all bog-standard low intensity space combat zones to boot because fdev used BGS magic for the war but didn't check to make sure the resulting war wouldn't suck)

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Libluini posted:

Looks like there's a zombie apocalypse for Helloween going on, heh.

Is this just the space CZs with the Grey Fleet or whatever? Or is there something else that I missed?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cutedge posted:

Is this just the space CZs with the Grey Fleet or whatever? Or is there something else that I missed?
It's a couple of Low CZs in some system or another, that Fdev godhanded and in the process probably hosed up the system for good.
So business as usual, really.

Diamond Frogs have, at least in part, gone on a Frog Fieldtrip to Colonia.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Oh drat I haven't been paying attention to the discord so I missed the trip. Ooops.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
There will always be other trips

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone still play this in VR? I’ve recently upgraded my computer and wanted to try the game on my HP Reverb G2, and I’m having a hard time balancing performance vs clarity. I’m running an i9 11900k paired with an RTX 4080, and I feel like it should perform better than it does.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone still play this in VR? I’ve recently upgraded my computer and wanted to try the game on my HP Reverb G2, and I’m having a hard time balancing performance vs clarity. I’m running an i9 11900k paired with an RTX 4080, and I feel like it should perform better than it does.
I know it's not quite the same, but I'm using a Tobii Eyetracker 4 - and on a R7800X3D and a RX7800XT, I'm getting +144Hz with everything maxed, except the occasional frametime-related dip from loading.

If I leave it uncapped, my FPS is usually in the ~250Hz range - but I figure there's no reason for a VRR panel that "only" goes to 165Hz.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 7, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

that computer should crush this game in VR, its much better than mine and i played quite a bit in VR.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Elite's VR support has been basically non existent for ages, and its performance in general has been going down the pan. I used to play it in VR on a 970m laptop card, then on a 2060S and somewhere in the leadup to Odyssey it became impossible to run at acceptable framerates when anything else was in the instance. Post-Odyssey it barely runs at all. It seems a bit inconsistent, some people have a better time but Fdev have no interest in VR anymore and certainly aren't optimising it.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I have a AMD 7900xt with a Ryzen 9 5900X. Game is fine in flat, but when I load up VR I can't maintain enough frames to prevent Virtual Desktop from doing ASW, meaning I'm not hitting the 72 fps target I set for it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but take that for what it is. I actually tried this weekend to use my laptop which has a 3060 and had pretty similar results. However, I'm pretty sure the new SteamVR managed to kind of mangle performance if I've read correctly.

I need to reinstall the beta drivers that allow for AMD's new frame generation, because I had that installed when I got my Quest 3 and it seemed like it was running really well and ultimately I think it was just doing frame generation to keep the FPS up and then that in turn keeps virtual desktop or the quest link software from doing the spacewarp stuff which is really annoying to look at.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I got an oculus 2 a few months ago to try this in VR and I'm running pretty similar specs 7900x/rtx4080. the only real issue i had was that text clarity was kinda poop?

i seem to recall something about shutting off AMD FSR or w/e and that helping, though not completely solving, the text

iirc the rest of it worked fine. i only really tried it a few times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Apparently the Quest 3 is a ton better for text

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

This is pretty relevant: https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1721937862705197251

I’ll have to check after work to see if it compatible with elite though

edit: I actually switched back to quest link and it runs way better than virtual desktop, which is kind of weird.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 8, 2023

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Just got the game after years of waffling on whether I should or not. So far so good.

I accepted a transport mission yesterday from some rando on a station and when I got back that person was no longer there to give the package. Is there a way for me to see who to I am supposed to talk to while wandering around on foot? When I use a terminal it says I have no current missions, but the system map indicates that I am where I should be to complete my mission.

Also, I wanted to get a new ship so I've been looking for a big station that might have a place to buy ships. But I haven't been able to find anything but tiny stations. I thought I'd hit up Sol and that should have some large stations, but I can't go there, and Alpha Centauri (which I figured would also be pretty populated?) is just more tiny stations. Is there like a galaxy map somewhere that shows the major systems? The map in the game makes all systems look equal and I can't tell what's populated or not.

Thanks for reading my dumb newbie questions.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://inara.cz/elite/nearest/

i think most people use this site to find things like shipyards/specific ships etc

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Worf posted:

i think most people use this site to find things like shipyards/specific ships etc

This is amazing, thank you!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of useful 3rd party apps, is ED Profiler still the best tool for tweaking/saving game configurations?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Worf posted:

Really awesome that the game is virtually unplayable without 3rd party websites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

smug jeebus posted:

Really awesome that the game is virtually unplayable without 3rd party websites

the "joy of discovery" by meandering your way into things without knowing they'll be there ahead of time is basically the entire point of the game as designed

they were literally like "oh yeah finding an A-class upgrade to buy should be a massive pain in the rear end so it'll feel so great when you've docked at 30 stations looking for one"