Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

MuddyFunster posted:

I wonder how many times the guy who plays Morn walked across the background of a scene as just some Starfleet guy or something. I feel like that'd be a thing.)

In Who Mourns for Morn, he does play a Starfleet officer - I’m pretty sure he’s the guy who goes to sit in Morn’s empty chair and gets told off by Bashir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's this one security officer who is in tons of Voyager episodes but I don't think ever gets any lines.

It's this guy- https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tarik_Ergin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Speaking of Morn, I watched Sanctuary yesterday and the scene at the start when the guy's playing the DS9 theme has this star fleet woman cuddling up to Morn and it was so funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVh5qM0OvoM&t=55s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zaroff posted:

In Who Mourns for Morn, he does play a Starfleet officer - I’m pretty sure he’s the guy who goes to sit in Morn’s empty chair and gets told off by Bashir.

It's such a good joke too. "Who the gently caress do you think you are, get outta here scrub!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's this one security officer who is in tons of Voyager episodes but I don't think ever gets any lines.

It's this guy- https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tarik_Ergin

Crewman Ayala!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Crewman Ayala!

The Lt. Jae of Voyager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think he does actually have a line at one point but like ensign gates over on TNG they're dubbed by a different person so he wouldn't change to a category where they have to give him a payrise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was also absurdly over budget which is why they cut the budget before WoK

The budget wasn't just cut, The Wrath of Khan was quite literally produced by Paramount's television division. Paramount was ready to scrub a theatrical release and sell it to ABC as a movie-of-the-week if the executives didn't like the footage they were seeing (which is why there are alternate takes of some scenes in the version that aired on ABC, like Kirk and Saavik in the turbolift, because Meyer had to frame them for a 4:3 ratio).

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 24, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was thinking about the "Kirk never gets punished" problem and how it actually applies to a lot of what Starfleet does. The crux seems to be that captains are usually right about whatever nonsense they decided to enact unilaterally. The final episode of TOS kind of drives this home. Everyone on the ship has to trust this guy with their lives and so his judgment has to be perfect at almost all times. This is the standard that Starfleet sets and expects to be enforced, both from the top but more importantly from the crew of a ship who absolutely will overthrow a tyrant or incompetent or imposter.

The Prime Directive, direct interference in Federation member planet politics, dealing with situations at the Neutral Zone, all of these things and others have rigid guidelines that are typically ignored when the plot requires it. Taken as a whole, it really does make the captains seem beyond exceptional, but that's the only way this system can function. It also seems to be why it's portrayed as such a deep betrayal when a captain goes rogue for the wrong reasons. As long as you can exonerate your instinct, you're good, but if you're just power hungry or have lost perspective, the other captains will rain hell on you.

It almost feels like "rule by philosopher kings" from Plato's Republic, but it's also (supposed to be) a genuine meritocracy, so anyone with the right amount of gumption can become a captain be they white, black, Klingon, or female.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a combination of three elements of TOS worldbuilding of:

a) space is known to be full of extraordinary situations and out of context problems that no preexisting protocol could take into account
b) A Starship has an extraordinary amount of power that can literally change the course of entire civilians and decide life or death for billions and
c) they're often far beyond immediate communication reach or support range of the Federation.

The last in particular is an element that was kinda lost a lot later on but is really critical to understanding the attitude with which Star Trek treats their captains.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 24, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MikeJF posted:

It's a combination of three elements of TOS worldbuilding of:

a) space is known to be full of extraordinary situations and out of context problems that no preexisting protocol could take into account
b) A Starship has an extraordinary amount of power that can literally change the course of entire civilians and decide life or death for billions and
c) they're often far beyond immediate communication reach or support range of the Federation.

The last in particular is an element that was kinda lost a lot later on but is really critical to understanding the attitude with which Star Trek treats their captains.

I think it's also why the admirals are usually depicted as evil. They're not at the front lines, they don't know the full context, and they haven't been having to make decisions that affect people they're directly responsible for. The ships, captains, and crews are abstracts for them at that level.

It reminds me a lot of that conflicts you see in schools as great teachers go on to become principals and other admins and their values seem to change overnight.

I'm head of department right now at my school and I definitely approach crises and conflicts differently than when I just had to think about my classroom.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I know it's bad, but I love that final space battle in Insurrection, including the stupid joystick thing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watched Voyager "Fury" to keep pace with Greatest Gen and I was a little disappointed they didn't call out the "See anyone you know?" "Only you." exchange between Old Kes and Neelix, because I thought that was a pretty good couplet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FISHMANPET posted:

I know it's bad, but I love that final space battle in Insurrection, including the stupid joystick thing.

It's probably the best space battle of the TNG movies (not that that's a high bar to clear, it's either that or Nemesis, and Nemesis loses because the Scimitar is the turbo-gunned super-duper Admiral Hyperriker starship that some dipshit kid comes up with on the playground to beat yours).

For being the most-expensive Trek movie (prior to 2009), Insurrection looks very weirdly cheap, and I think that's because of the switch in VFX vendor from ILM to Blue Sky Digital.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also apparently they just spent a heap of money on the town set, which was built on location... Not sure I would say the best use of money to be honest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Insurrection is the one Trek movie you'll never ever convince me is actually bad. You might be right, but I do not give a goddamn poo poo. I'm going to keep liking it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Riker had been advocating for years to grab a joystick in Star Trek and he wasn't going to pass up the opportunity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dr_rat posted:

Also apparently they just spent a heap of money on the town set, which was built on location... Not sure I would say the best use of money to be honest.

Yeah, that was Frakes' call, he insisted on building the Ba'ku village on-location, including having a fully functioning plumbing system.

When re-shoots were ordered by Sherry Lansing following some dodgy test screenings, it was almost entirely for the on-location stuff. Which meant they had to re-build the village all over again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Insurrection is the one Trek movie you'll never ever convince me is actually bad. You might be right, but I do not give a goddamn poo poo. I'm going to keep liking it.

I don't dislike it, but I don't like it, either. It's just kind of there for me. Frakes had definitely matured as a director, and it has some great scenes (Geordi's sunrise), and the casting is superb, but it's ultimately a victim of Patrick Stewart having no grasp whatsoever of who Picard was / is as a character, since he had to approve every single story and script draft.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Timby posted:

For being the most-expensive Trek movie (prior to 2009), Insurrection looks very weirdly cheap, and I think that's because of the switch in VFX vendor from ILM to Blue Sky Digital.

So, are the ship bits all CG or are there still models used? I was wondering, they do have a very weird look to them, especially when the collector unfurls its big... Sail thingies and it's all grainy. There's a few nice shots in there, mind.

Them chucking the warp core out was a cool moment. There's a lot of cool moments, they didn't really coalesce for me though. On reflection, it's decently watchable if nothing else, certainly not the crushingly boring abomination I'd pegged it as back in the day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MuddyFunster posted:

So, are the ship bits all CG or are there still models used? I was wondering, they do have a very weird look to them, especially when the collector unfurls its big... Sail thingies and it's all grainy. There's a few nice shots in there, mind.

If memory serves, Insurrection was the first Trek movie that was 100 percent CGI with the ship stuff. Nemesis was almost 100 percent CGI, but Digital Domain did build a scale model of the Enterprise-E's saucer for the collision with the Scimitar.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 24, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's not the first time it's been mentioned in this thread but if you have Insurrection on DVD or have some other way of watching it with the commentary tracks, you owe it to yourself to listen to the Frakes and Sirtis track. They hit the wine early and don't stop, and it's absolutely amazing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's not the first time it's been mentioned in this thread but if you have Insurrection on DVD or have some other way of watching it with the commentary tracks, you owe it to yourself to listen to the Frakes and Sirtis track. They hit the wine early and don't stop, and it's absolutely amazing.

Seconding this, they're doing MST3K on the level of Joel and the bots

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I believe it's exclusive to the Blu-ray and UHD releases.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Timby posted:

I believe it's exclusive to the Blu-ray and UHD releases.

Or you can stream the movie and open YouTube in another tab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZIknM6coM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

If memory serves, Insurrection was the first Trek movie that was 100 percent CGI with the ship stuff. Nemesis was almost 100 percent CGI, but Digital Domain did build a scale model of the Enterprise-E's saucer for the collision with the Scimitar.

Nah, I think Insurrection was still physical models. Nemesis was definitely 100% CG, but in Insurrection you can still clearly tell between the CG shots and the physical models. The ship CG in Insurrection is still REALLY dodgy, like the fight between the shuttle and the scout ship. That was CG, but the Enterprise and the Son'a capital ships still looked like they were all models.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, I think Insurrection was still physical models. Nemesis was definitely 100% CG, but in Insurrection you can still clearly tell between the CG shots and the physical models. The ship CG in Insurrection is still REALLY dodgy, like the fight between the shuttle and the scout ship. That was CG, but the Enterprise and the Son'a capital ships still looked like they were all models.

SBS and Blue Sky scanned the model of the E that ILM built for First Contact to use as the texture map for their model, but it's all CG. I have the Cinefex issue covering it in a box in my closet, I'll find the relevant passage(s).

Edit: And as I said, Nemesis wasn't 100 percent CG. Digital Domain built a giant loving model (not as big as the one ILM built of the Enterprise-D saucer for the Generations crash, but still big) for animating the ramming scene with the Scimitar.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Or you can stream the movie and open YouTube in another tab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZIknM6coM

that's first contact not insurrection

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arivia posted:

that's first contact not insurrection

my bad apparently i'm very tired

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

Was Defiant the first Trek ship to really indulge in the swoopy dynamic WWII Fighter Plane visual vocabulary? Because right choice in that specific case to sell what a weirdo it is, imo, but after that having your immense multi-deck ships scoot around like fighters is a very hard toy to put back in the box

Aside from that though I always did love the Enterprise-D's linear phaser arrays. Gets you that visual power buildup in a unique way.
Yeah, DS9 usually did it right with the Defiant and the little Peregrine-class and Jem'Hadar fighters zipping around all the big slow capital ships. Voyager and First Contact feels like where they started having "small" starships that were still 15+ stories tall zipping around big Borg cubes and Voth city ships, and then it just kept going from there.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Two Voyager minor characters I want to shout out to:

The crew member who really likes working out and mentions it every time he shows up

The con artist who impersonated Tuvok but got really into it because he thought Tuvok was really cool

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Going back to planetary shields, there are a few references to them in TOS, but the one that jumped out at me was in "Whom Gods Destroy". It seems to be explicitly planet-wide because there are weak spots at various points along the continents that they try to blast through but cannot. There's an aside in the episode about how they could destroy it, but the firepower necessary would devastate the planet and their whole goal was to rescue Kirk and the other hostages.

Now, Memory Alpha calls this a "force field" and not a "shield", but I don't really think that matters as far as what we're discussing. It's established that there's a science thing that makes an invisible but impenetrable barrier and they have the tech to implement on a planetary scale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think it's also why the admirals are usually depicted as evil. They're not at the front lines, they don't know the full context, and they haven't been having to make decisions that affect people they're directly responsible for. The ships, captains, and crews are abstracts for them at that level.

Well, that's the Watsonian explanation, the Doylist one is just that most of the time the only reason to bring an admiral into the plot is to obstruct and cause problems. If an Admiral is fine and dandy then they don't need to be in the episode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Well, that's the Watsonian explanation, the Doylist one is just that most of the time the only reason to bring an admiral into the plot is to obstruct and cause problems. If an Admiral is fine and dandy then they don't need to be in the episode.

This explanation also applies 1-1 for Keiko

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Particularly since Rosalind Chao was successful and busy enough an actress that they couldn't easily just throw her in brief background scenes with Miles in other episodes just for the sake of married life ambience.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 24, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

The switch to jiggly ships shooting bolts at each other was a mistake. The constitution and galaxy et al. are heavy cruisers and battleships, they should have a feel of mass and inertia, and they should fire those huge gently caress you death rays and arrays of torpedoes/missiles, not some "piu piu piu" anti air guns and then turn on a dime and run away.

I could live in a world where they have close defense weapons that do that piupiupiu stuff but the main guns should have certain gravitas to them.

Preach it! Trek is the space navy, not the space air force

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I thought it was a wagon train.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Preach it! Trek is the space navy, not the space air force

A pre-WW2 space navy, specifically. An era where battleships ruled before carriers took over.

Quite often an 1808 space navy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 24, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Should of gone with a 900AD space navy.

:black101:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Should of gone with a 900AD space navy.

:black101:

Klingons are a thing, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Klingons are a thing, you know.

I feel the federation could do it better.