Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Emudeck comes with a script that will scan all the rom directories that you can convert to chd and do it for you, also. Just run that whenever you copy some cd games over or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Idk if Chianki has gotten updated in the handful of months since I tried last or what but I tried streaming some Spider-Man last night and holy poo poo. It's essentially perfect at this point, I didn't notice a lick of latency. Simply awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Badly Jester posted:

You could try these settings, but there's not really much you can do. By act 3 drops below 20 are common, and the controller interface - at least in my opinion - becomes a struggle due to the amount of skills you have available and need to set up radial menus for.

I meant to mention this earlier but I tried out the stuff mentioned in that link and I actually kind of like it. It's pretty consistent, I gotta say.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
linus deeze nuts

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The new Ghostbusters game runs really well and looks nice. Played a couple of rounds and for the price I'm gonna have a good time. If anyone wants to party up let me know!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have no issue with the controls whatsoever, other than wishing I could ping stuff slightly easier.

And for that other goon, my tdp limit isn't enabled.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer the controller UI and controls for the most part. It's just that by the middle of Act 2 I'd absolutely had it with new spells from level ups and items constantly loving up the setup I had for my radial menus, to the point where I was not utilizing some spells/actions buried in radial menu #4. My character's a bard though, so obviously YMMV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Badly Jester posted:

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer the controller UI and controls for the most part. It's just that by the middle of Act 2 I'd absolutely had it with new spells from level ups and items constantly loving up the setup I had for my radial menus, to the point where I was not utilizing some spells/actions buried in radial menu #4. My character's a bard though, so obviously YMMV.

You can turn off the auto-add-to-menus stuff, FWIW. I found that to be easier to manage.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone try Tyranny on the deck? Only 2 reports on protondb, one good the other bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone try Tyranny on the deck? Only 2 reports on protondb, one good the other bad.

Runs fine but it’s very hard to play on the deck. If you’re docked with m/kb you’re fine. Text is absolutely tiny.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How is Pillars of Eternity 2, Deadfire on the Deck? It was surprisingly intensive even on a beefy desktop, so maybe streaming is the best option?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Runs fine but it’s very hard to play on the deck. If you’re docked with m/kb you’re fine. Text is absolutely tiny.

Thank you.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There are a lot of cheap sub $75 monitors on Aliexpress. Does anyone have experience using any of these with a Steam Deck? Thought something cheap, even 12 inches with decent picture would be a step up from the Deck's display, but I could be wrong!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

There are a lot of cheap sub $75 monitors on Aliexpress. Does anyone have experience using any of these with a Steam Deck? Thought something cheap, even 12 inches with decent picture would be a step up from the Deck's display, but I could be wrong!

I don’t have experience but you can get some great deals on the OLED ones and yeah they are a big step up.

Id go with Amazon though as the price difference isn’t much more and you can return it super easily.

Like the 60hz one is $89 on Amazon

https://youtu.be/M0UxTqSMk3s?si=_rfe2GhomCiSE55c

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 22, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I want a button combo I can hold that will mute the Deck as it comes out of sleep or boots, so that I can stay in bed right now and play Halls of Torment without waking my wife, instead of having to get up and carry the Deck into the bathroom to turn it on. my toes will get cold!

If you've paired a BT headset the boot sound and everything that follows usually goes there. So your button combo could be to turn on the BT device and then the Deck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think my deck auto connects to BT for me about 90% of the time. Really wish the BT functionally was better. Also would be nice to have it easily accessible next to the Wi-Fi widget(yes I know you can do this with third party stuff but it should be the default)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I have to tell it to go to my AirPods after it boots, and I haven’t been able to pair the Deck and phone such that the phone’s audio goes through the Deck to the headphones, so I’m generally meh on the BT situation.

I could just carry a little 3.5” jack in my Deck case I guess…

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Guess it depends on the device. Both the BT DACs I use always auto connect, far as I remember, but the Space A40 ear buds don't.

Never connected a device through the Deck, didn't know that was possible. I have a couple of multi point BT devices that work, but that's priority based with the Deck's audio being dropped when the phone has things to say.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Bluetooth is and always will be the shittiest form of wireless except for, I dunno, loving IR, and even that has the advantage of just being able to point a thing at another thing and you’re done setting it up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bluetooth was invented by Satan to test us

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have more luck with my bluetooth connection than my wifi. It is constantly dropping and then never being able to reconnect or see the steam servers. Such a weirdness.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bluetooth is for chumps. just use a wired connection

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Modern Video Games posted:

I have more luck with my bluetooth connection than my wifi. It is constantly dropping and then never being able to reconnect or see the steam servers. Such a weirdness.

I get something similar to this, usually when I am in desktop mode using remote desktop stuff.

The wifi will cycle between connected and disconnected every 2-3 seconds. Usually turning on airplane mode for about 10 seconds solves it, but it's very annoying.

It doesn't happen every time I'm using TeamViewer, but it seems to only happen when using it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is bluetooth so ubiquitous just because the components are small / cheap?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Party Boat posted:

Is bluetooth so ubiquitous just because the components are small / cheap?

yep

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
They've become so small and cheap due to development and manufacturing scaling up because they're so ubiquitous.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Love your new avatar btw

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I don't believe in "wireless" devices. you need a pipe to carry the electrons

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://youtu.be/o5OmtYRRMOw?si=Uo5rGjExrk5tyeoM
18mon 16 seconds enjoy the intro of Bluetooth

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bluetooth was invented by Satan to test us

And every day we move further from god's light.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I don't believe in "wireless" devices. you need a pipe to carry the electrons

Wireless is an investment into frequently inconvenient convenience.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Upsidads posted:

https://youtu.be/o5OmtYRRMOw?si=Uo5rGjExrk5tyeoM
18mon 16 seconds enjoy the intro of Bluetooth

That guy has strong Kevin Spacey vibes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I have never had an issue with my airpods and my Steamdeck.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i use my aftershockz bone conduction headphones with it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Airpods work with everything about as perfectly as Bluetooth allows them to. Generally if there’s an issue connecting to the AirPods I wager it’s an issue with the device.

Also I tried to play Theatrhythm with my AirPods and the latency had always otherwise been undetectable, but in that game I was totally hosed and had to use the speakers. I was surprised to find out the AirPods had any latency!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

iOS and android do a good job of masking latency when you watch videos by delaying the visuals to match however much audio delay there is, but the delay is still there and will kick your rear end if you try to play a game or something where that trick doesn't work

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FYI that the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection is broken on Steam Deck. Tested MGS2 and there's no audio during cutscenes/FMVs, weird sound popping during the VR missions, and the game flat out crashes when you start a new game.

Apparently similar problems with MGS3.

Also there is no cloud save support.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 24, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Only tangentially related, but the "Master Collection" looks like it's just the original versions, not HD remakes, is that right?

But then there's something called "METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER" that actually DOES look like a remake of MGS3, but isn't out yet.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Annath posted:

Only tangentially related, but the "Master Collection" looks like it's just the original versions, not HD remakes, is that right?

But then there's something called "METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER" that actually DOES look like a remake of MGS3, but isn't out yet.

It's literally the 2011 HD Collection versions of MGS2 and 3 in a new launcher - to the point where the loading screens have the HD Collection logo.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Necrothatcher posted:

It's literally the 2011 HD Collection versions of MGS2 and 3 in a new launcher - to the point where the loading screens have the HD Collection logo.

I was looking at the Master Collection listing for MGS 1 and it looked like the PS1 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Annath posted:

I was looking at the Master Collection listing for MGS 1 and it looked like the PS1 version.

It is, just in an emulation wrapper.