Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

edogawa rando posted:

A pair of white people acting like it's somehow wrong and confusing that people of colour are now taking offence to a white person putting on an accent to play a person of colour.

The part that bothers me most is saying "what used to be inoffensive". Nah, y'all knew it was loving offensive. The original script for Apu's first appearance said the convenience story clerk should not be Indian. This isn't something that got invented in the 2010s; you knew it was lovely back then too and did it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The part that bothers me most is saying "what used to be inoffensive". Nah, y'all knew it was loving offensive. The original script for Apu's first appearance said the convenience story clerk should not be Indian. This isn't something that got invented in the 2010s; you knew it was lovely back then too and did it anyway.

What really pisses me off is that it comes off like a bunch of whiteys implying to us uppity minorities that perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to get pissed at poo poo that is offensive to us, as if we've taken something sacrosanct from them. The loving paternalistic tone, the framed photo of Apu, the "maybe this just isn't the time" bullshit that moderates do, the "what are we supposed to dooooOOOoooOOOOoooooOOOOoooo?" poo poo - here's a hint Al Jean, you gently caress, stop doing the poo poo minorities are getting pissed at.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/thatretro/status/1716257406584275207?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: beating a dead horse

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 23, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When Apu started out, the show was very much not trying to not offend, although an indian convenience store cashier was too old hack to even be funny from a transgressive angle. As time went on, and the curtains closed on the ability of the show to expand Springfield or introduce any new characters, Apu became an important regular character and a valued device for whenever the show wanted a store owner (to the point that everybody gets their groceries at the gas station).

And I don't think the show ever really tried to tone down Apu's stereotypes or potential offensiveness (a couple later additions probably make things worse), but I think the writers were so used to Apu being a thing that they forgot that he was entirely built on an offensive joke, so they got blindsighted when complaints got high-profile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before, if the show had ended at a reasonable time, Apu would be considered a step in the right direction at least. But they dragged it out way too long.

edogawa rando posted:

What really pisses me off is that it comes off like a bunch of whiteys implying to us uppity minorities that perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to get pissed at poo poo that is offensive to us, as if we've taken something sacrosanct from them. The loving paternalistic tone, the framed photo of Apu, the "maybe this just isn't the time" bullshit that moderates do, the "what are we supposed to dooooOOOoooOOOOoooooOOOOoooo?" poo poo - here's a hint Al Jean, you gently caress, stop doing the poo poo minorities are getting pissed at.

Ain't no one gets pissy like wealthy white liberals not getting their gratitude fix from nonwhites.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mantis42 posted:

e: beating a dead horse

Kavner's not dead yet though

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hooooolyyyy gently caress

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I say with no joy that AI might be better.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

A lot of the newer clips usually give me a mostly "...What the hell?" kind of feeling, but every new clip I watch where Julie Kavner talks genuinely make me sad. Just....stop. Stop and retire already.

Das Boo posted:

I say with no joy that AI might be better.

AI honestly would be better. A different voice actor who can get in the ballpark would be better. So, so many things would be better, because what we have right now is just objectively not good.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 23, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

edogawa rando posted:

Sorry, I just saw red there. That clip just really pushed my buttons today.

Naah, its justified.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

good lord

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

What killede me was seasons like 13-15 where every episode had at least 2 lengthy songs that were independent of what little plot remained. Just filling time and hoping the writers would get some residuals or whatever.

Are we for or against writers getting more residuals? I say if that’s what gets them paid, so be it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said it before, if the show had ended at a reasonable time, Apu would be considered a step in the right direction at least. But they dragged it out way too long.

Apu evolved several times as the writing staff kept turning over, depending on what he was being used for:

* Generic Indian convenience store clerk (sitcom background character)
* Enthusiastically US-integrated capitalist / grifter (cynical satire)
* Brilliant academic forced to start from the bottom in America and nearly deported (satire, but more consciously progressive)
* Arranged marriage! Octuplets! (wacky bullshit)

The people who say "Apu was never a stereotype" will point to examples and details from phase 3 without realizing they're somewhat a subversion of, and response to, the character's original problematic incarnations. There probably was a thoughtful, humorous way to course-correct Apu for yet another cohort of modern audiences, but no way would Al Jean's writing staff ever find it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Whatever happened to Apus brother?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Whatever happened to Apus brother?

He was in like 50% of season 26 and everyone got sick of him until they brought him back for a two parter focusing on his marital problems in season 34.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Halisnacks posted:

Are we for or against writers getting more residuals? I say if that’s what gets them paid, so be it.

It's good that writers get paid. The constant barrage of terrible, terrible songs made the show worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's starting to explain a lot about other cartoons that have more and more questionable musical numbers in later seasons.

Kinda funny that Phineas and Ferb actually had a musical number in every episode by Disney's request after Gitchie Gitchie Goo. This is probably one of those rare cases of an executive mandate that turned out to be a ridiculously good idea.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's in the video description: Season 14 - Episode 3: 'Bart vs. Lisa vs. The Third Grade'. Firmly in "Al Jean territory". Bart gets bumped back to 3rd grade and Lisa gets bumped up to 3rd grade so they're in the same classroom. It was an inspired premise at least.

ah thanks!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's starting to explain a lot about other cartoons that have more and more questionable musical numbers in later seasons.

Kinda funny that Phineas and Ferb actually had a musical number in every episode by Disney's request after Gitchie Gitchie Goo. This is probably one of those rare cases of an executive mandate that turned out to be a ridiculously good idea.

it's incredible that not only have they made songs for every episode, which is a tremendous feat in itself, but a staggering number of them are total bangers too!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

this is apparently the lid off a coffin from a newly found Egyptian cemetery, i don't know if i really believe it

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
I genuinely loved the Kesha intro :colbert:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

lushka16 posted:

Stupid babies need the most attention

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

lushka16 posted:

Kid, some might even say you're a hero.

Not me though. I loved the Simpsons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

ah thanks!

it's incredible that not only have they made songs for every episode, which is a tremendous feat in itself, but a staggering number of them are total bangers too!

I think it helps that P&F never quite does the same thing twice (despite sticking firmly to its formula for the most part) with the music, with the songs being all over the place genre wise, and almost every character getting at least one turn in the spotlight, so it doesn't start to get predictable or repetitive.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It definitely helps that the P&F songs were well written. GoodSimpsons did songs sparingly and they were also well written, but now they'll just have Homer mumble out some first draft of a song someone came up with on the spot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lushka16 posted:

I just noticed the thread poll calls her Keisha

poo poo, I wonder how Kiesza is doing. Wasn't she in a serious car accident?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Non Compos Mentis posted:

this is apparently the lid off a coffin from a newly found Egyptian cemetery, i don't know if i really believe it
I'd worship that

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think a lot of the songs in old Simpsons were good in part because they were affectionate parodies of well-loved songs that already existed in popular musicals - Monorail (The Music Man), See My Vest (Beauty and the Beast), Spring in Springfield (Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, arguably) etc. Then you had songs like the Streetcar Named Desire ones, which were great parodies of musical adaptations of otherwise quite brutal material in general. Later, they just became songs for the sake of it/residuals and/or shallow parodies that were done with nowhere near the level of love as before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm generally a sucker for snappy songs, but I think the Simpsons probably has more flops for songs than hits. They're definitely not all the Planet of the Apes musical. Most of their songs exist for the jokes first rather than having like individual musical quality. Like The Spring in Springfield is a joke about musical numbers in general, but the actual song is kinda bleh. I don't think anybody is left humming Yvan Eht Nioj or Everybody Hates Ned Flanders.

Even the Monorail song is more of a joke than a song, like it's playing off of the Music Man, and gets the vibe across, but it doesn't get into any of the patter that makes the Music Man work. It's just a couple rhyming couplets and then into chanting. So I think resenting the later songs comes down more to just not liking the jokes involved.

Poking through the wiki to find songs to judge isn't very helpful because the lists like including all the real songs that Homer sings along to and the like, which I wouldn't count.

Put it in H.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't forget I'm Checking In

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUOBt5VXGE

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Stonecutters erasure!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sourdough Sam posted:

Stonecutters erasure!

Oh poo poo, you just put it in my head for the rest of the night

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"I hate every ape I see..."

It's like The Simpsons predicted NFTs.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

pretty much every song from Songs in the Key of Springfield is a banger. They could do straight parodies like See My Vest, or totally brilliant originals like Bagged Me a Homer. I don't really know what happened by they always felt organic and well-placed in the first ~7 seasons.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I was much, much older than I should have been before I knew the actual story of Streetcar and the joke behind the "kindness of strangers" song in the Simpsons

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Atlas Hugged posted:

"I hate every ape I see..."

It's like The Simpsons predicted NFTs.

from NFA to NFZ...

brugroffil posted:

I was much, much older than I should have been before I knew the actual story of Streetcar and the joke behind the "kindness of strangers" song in the Simpsons

I always thought that the Streetcar Named Desire & Planet of the Apes musicals were funny but I didn't fully understand the concept of the joke until I was like 35, don't worry about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure that they consider it all the funnier that kids are first exposed to Planet of the Apes and Streetcar from the show and don't realise they're not musicals.

Also been told that lawyers said that they'd get in trouble having the characters put on a production of Streetcar using its dialogue, but having songs about it as a musical production was fair use as parody.

Also reminded that the first Treehouse of Horror does credit Edgar Allen Poe for writing The Raven. (which of course was public domain)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i didn't know that the Dr. Zaius song was a parody of Rock Me, Amadaeus until 2014

(i'm almost 40)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm also sometimes struck by how much effort they put into the lyrics and songwriting even of their dumb parodies. Like Krusty's version of "Send In the Clowns".

Send in the clowns
Those daffy, laffy clowns
Send in those soulful and doleful,
schmaltz-by-the-bowlful clowns.

That's good wordplay! Siddown Stephen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mr Interweb posted:

i didn't know that the Dr. Zaius song was a parody of Rock Me, Amadaeus until 2014

(i'm almost 40)

I'm 36, I've never heard Rock Me Amadeus and I wouldn't know the Dr. Zaius song was a parody of it if my mom hadn't told me

Data Graham posted:

I'm also sometimes struck by how much effort they put into the lyrics and songwriting even of their dumb parodies. Like Krusty's version of "Send In the Clowns".

Send in the clowns
Those daffy, laffy clowns
Send in those soulful and doleful,
schmaltz-by-the-bowlful clowns.

That's good wordplay! Siddown Stephen

It was today, just now, that I learned that Krusty's version of Send in the Clowns is different from the original :monocle: