Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is it about some people that makes them want to ride in a car that drives itself?

The entire concept is so alien and abhorrent to me.

Is there some kind of age point at which you decide “yah, I’m down with that.” ??

Maybe not an upper age range, but a lower one?

I’m in my fifties and not only do I not want that ever, I am deeply distrustful and suspicious of anyone who does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

MrMojok posted:

What is it about some people that makes them want to ride in a car that drives itself?

Is there some kind of age point at which you decide “yah, I’m down with that.” ??

I’m in my fifties and not only do I not want that ever, I am deeply distrustful and suspicious of anyone who does.

Basically the promise of all technology, people that can't afford servants want them.

A washing machine, a dishwasher, a Roomba, FSD, AI, it's all the same.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I would much rather have decent public transportation, but I've rented some cars that had intelligent cruise control and lane following and it's definitely a distant second to the public transport but it's far and away better than driving.

I really loving hate driving

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not having to worry about parking near to a destination and just getting a car to drop you off and return home or to some other parking area nearby would be pretty neat, not gonna lie.

But realistically in a city with a well designed and efficient transit network it is probably not necessary. But good luck getting one of those!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My car does have this lanekeeping thing where if I were to drift off and cross the dotted line, it does this obnoxious jerking thing and a warning pops up on the dashboard, but that’s as much as I’m willing to take.

I have been trying to turn it off, but have so far been unsuccessful.

And yes, I do have a blinking 12:00 on all appliances in my house.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrMojok posted:

Because drivings just a poo poo, often stressful task you need to do to get from point a to b? Sure I don't trust Ai currently to do a lot of it, but like I dont really get people who like to drive. Particularly peak hour in the city or at hundreds of ks distance at a time. Walking fun, riding a bikes fun, drivings just tedious.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Drunks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I really really like automatic distance control.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Because public transportation throughout the US is a pipe dream in our current political climate, and manual driving is a no-go for me.

But, I’m also never gonna get in any of Elon’s cars, so 🤷‍♂️

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

MrMojok posted:

My MS leaves me frequently but unpredictably lightheaded. It's also done some cognitive damage to my spatial processing (among other cognitive poo poo) and of course comes with tons of fatigue as well. I'm also on a number of drugs for chronic pain that help me tolerate existing but don't play nice with operating heavy machinery. I seldom feel confident about getting behind the wheel despite knowing I'm a more attentive and conscientious driver than a lot of ableds on the road around me. I happen to live in a pretty typically American mid-sized city built around cars. Having actual full self-driving would be huge for me. It would open up so much opportunity in so many aspects of my life and alleviate a major burden on my spouse.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ok, so AI movies actually are going to be loving incredible. Musk was right about ONE THING...

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Being able to nap, work, text message or watch videos on the commute to work has some obvious appeal. I spend about 2-2.5 hrs a day commuting and it'd be nice to get that time back in some fashion. I've been looking at public transit options, but that's 2 trains and a bus I'd have to transfer between, the hours wouldn't work if I stay late, and it'd cost about the same $400/month I'm already spending on transit, albeit with less car wear and tear. Working FSD on an electric vehicle seems like it'd be best of both worlds.

Though I do wonder how this whole thing plays out. A lot of the tesla stock being so absurdly high is betting on them being the first to FSD. There's not really losing that race unless someone else pulls it off first, and I'm not sure anyone truely does. At the same time, you've already got musk selling a FSD package even though it's not ready and there's robotaxis allowed to operate as long as it's online and someone could operate it remotely if it gets stuck. I don't think the govt is going to put its foot down here, we're probably going to be dealing with lovely half-assed FSD on the roadways unless it generates more lawsuits than profits once it's already out in the wild.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Because public transportation throughout the US is a pipe dream in our current political climate, and manual driving is a no-go for me.

This is just so wild to me as a euro guy. I've heard this said many many times, but I have no idea why public transportation in the USA has this reputation, because in my extremely limited experience (a couple of times in New York and San Francisco on business) it was fine. What is the problem, exactly? Are there not enough routes to provide good coverage? Is it too expensive? Too unreliable? Or is it just a thing of "yeah it works if you're in Boston or New York or something, but doesn't exist if you're in any smaller town or city"?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Waymo and Uber are supposedly ahead of Tesla, and Ford and GMs auto driving stuff is supposed to be pretty close to Tesla's, with a better sensor suite, and restricted to highway driving.

Also the NHTSA and DoJ both appear to be breathing down Tesla's neck for their reckless implementation of the tech.

So, yeah, no, they're not going to win that race, and they're not in the lead just because their dipshit CEO won't shut his loving mouth about it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Gorgar posted:

I'm waiting for the moment when over 50% of all Cybertrucks ever built have been totaled.

you mean when the autonomous tesla semi pulling the truck carrier jack knifes trying to run over a kid it spotted, and the cybertrucks it was carrying spill out over the pavement?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is just so wild to me as a euro guy. I've heard this said many many times, but I have no idea why public transportation in the USA has this reputation, because in my extremely limited experience (a couple of times in New York and San Francisco on business) it was fine. What is the problem, exactly? Are there not enough routes to provide good coverage? Is it too expensive? Too unreliable? Or is it just a thing of "yeah it works if you're in Boston or New York or something, but doesn't exist if you're in any smaller town or city"?

Boston, NYC, Chicago, D.C. have functional public transit, the other large cities have something, but none of them, save maybe NYC metro, has those services into the suburbs where most of the population lives. LA especially is notorious for not having poo poo, despite some pretty huge efforts to build something acceptable.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rad Russian posted:

Hummer EV got approved. So Cybertruck will breeze through. Requirements are not that stringent here in the US, although EU is a bit more serious about car weight classification for consumer-level vehicles.

This loving piece of poo poo "car" will never be sold in the EU.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You experienced what are probably the two best public transit systems in the entire country. Here's a recent trip I took on a public bus system that I'd still rank as extremely good compared to how it is elsewhere in the country

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Self driving opens a world of glorious car surfing and ghost riding opportunities and the succulent schadenfreude that comes with it

As Internet Aficionados you should be embracing this hell feature

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Hasn't "AI wrote this hilariously bad script" been a meme for more than a decade?

Also, wasn't Elsagate caused in part by AI getting into a weird loop of thinking "main character gets pregnant and is stabbed by a doctor" is a compelling narrative for a children's show?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Self driving opens a world of glorious car surfing and ghost riding opportunities and the succulent schadenfreude that comes with it

As Internet Aficionados you should be embracing this hell feature

Well the main problem is that Telsa "FSD" only allows ghost riding in that riding in it turns you into a ghost.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
has anyone said "cy-boer-truck" yet

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

MrMojok posted:

Driving sucks and public transportation is terrible in a lot of North America.

Honestly it seems more likely that autonomous cars will become feasible before someone puts bus routes near my house :shrug:

It would also be nice to one day be able to sleep or just be able to hang out with my family while on long drives.

That said, Tesla probably isn't going to be the company to make that a reality unless Musk dies or something.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I like spending my commute poo poo posting/watching videos. Also due to crippling insomnia I'm sometimes so sleepy in the morning that I wouldn't trust myself behind a wheel. A self driving car would allow me to have this same experience without being beholden to my city's awful public transport schedule.

Although even then, a well run public transport system is better overall.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Make self driving buses and trains :shobon:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

It'd be nice to have a public transportation system that works in this country to get all these people that admittedly hate driving and never want to do it off the road

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I used to test self-driving vehicles for one of the 'big' companies and I can confidently say that robits are safer drivers than the average American ever will be.

They're also very passive in the name of safety, which doesn't work for the Mad Max style driving of the average American.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Listen if I can't spit guzzoline directly into my engine while swinging from a big stick while my car self drives into a swirling vortex of cybertruck debris as every car assumes the other cars are black children and automatically accelerate to 500mph in 3 seconds to get them then we might as well stop this nonsense right here

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

MrMojok posted:

IMO Long distance highway driving would be aided by self-driving

edit: I live in the South and we have poo poo public transportation, including trains.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Because drivings just a poo poo, often stressful task you need to do to get from point a to b? Sure I don't trust Ai currently to do a lot of it, but like I dont really get people who like to drive. Particularly peak hour in the city or at hundreds of ks distance at a time. Walking fun, riding a bikes fun, drivings just tedious.

I like, even love driving at times. I just hate other drivers.

But my god, driving in a densely packed city is terrible. Going 2 miles in 30 minutes, watching pedestrians and bikers easily passing you as you inch through gridlock. Fun!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

MrMojok posted:

Getting into a car is by far the most dangerous activity that the average American engages in every day. The statistical risks of human-operated vehicles are staggering--100 Americans die and 7,500 are injured every single day from motor vehicle crashes. The statistical likelihood of being in such an accident increases significantly with drinking (as has been mentioned) but also with distracted driving or driving while tired. A tired or distracted driver is, on average, as dangerous as a drunk one.

You may protest that you do not do these things. You're a perfect driver--you've never even had a fender bender. But I ask how many bad drivers do you see every single day? I can tell you as someone who did a lot of driving recently there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. These people are unsafe and they make you less safe. Even a perfect human driver cannot react to every possible scenario.

We are on the cusp of having the technology to drastically reduce the dangers of driving. Non-Tesla autonomous driving systems such as Waymo, Pony, etc. are already likely safer drivers than humans on average in many scenarios. These systems do not get distracted or tired. They don't hesitate in uncertain situations. Using lidar, radar, and other systems, they have a complete 360 degree view of the road. They have better response times than even professional race car drivers.

Getting these systems into cars will save lives. Every drunk, tired, or distracted driver they remove from the road is a statistical hazard averted.

And yes these systems are not perfect. I know there are lots of edge cases where you can confuse the cars using a traffic cone placed directly in front of it and there are all sorts of questions around legal liability when one of these systems does in fact cause an accident which will still happen. These are things we can solve though.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Rosalind posted:

Getting into a car is by far the most dangerous activity that the average American engages in every day. The statistical risks of human-operated vehicles are staggering--100 Americans die and 7,500 are injured every single day from motor vehicle crashes. The statistical likelihood of being in such an accident increases significantly with drinking (as has been mentioned) but also with distracted driving or driving while tired. A tired or distracted driver is, on average, as dangerous as a drunk one.

You may protest that you do not do these things. You're a perfect driver--you've never even had a fender bender. But I ask how many bad drivers do you see every single day? I can tell you as someone who did a lot of driving recently there are a lot of bad drivers out there on the road. These people are unsafe and they make you less safe. Even a perfect human driver cannot react to every possible scenario.

We are on the cusp of having the technology to drastically reduce the dangers of driving. Non-Tesla autonomous driving systems such as Waymo, Pony, etc. are already likely safer drivers than humans on average in many scenarios. These systems do not get distracted or tired. They don't hesitate in uncertain situations. Using lidar, radar, and other systems, they have a complete 360 degree view of the road. They have better response times than even professional race car drivers.

Getting these systems into cars will save lives. Every drunk, tired, or distracted driver they remove from the road is a statistical hazard averted.

And yes these systems are not perfect. I know there are lots of edge cases where you can confuse the cars using a traffic cone placed directly in front of it and there are all sorts of questions around legal liability when one of these systems does in fact cause an accident which will still happen. These are things we can solve though.

I can hear the dark synthwave music and 1970's PSA voice in this post

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Rosalind posted:

The biggest difference is that these systems actually keep the driver engaged like the Tesla system is supposed to (but doesn't)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

gschmidl posted:

This loving piece of poo poo "car" will never be sold in the EU.
I don't know, the new NCAP standards will require a mandatory child-detection system, and all Teslas have those as standard.

Oh, wait, I'm now now being told that the EU wants it so the car can avoid children.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rosalind posted:

Using lidar, radar, and other systems, they have a complete 360 degree view of the road. They have better response times than even professional race car drivers

okay but what if the world's most divorced man decides that these vehicles don't need lidar or radar actually

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Further Reading posted:

His own article won't call him a founder of his favourite companies because he bought them from the people who actually founded them.

He's not even the founder of X, the Everything App. He had to buy a social media website and turn it into X. Probably because every software engineer he talked to said an everything app was a stupid idea.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

e: wrong thread

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

kazil posted:

e: wrong thread

that's right move it along pal

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!