Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The immigration hall at MCO isn't that bad. It's a long-rear end queue for sure, but it's no worse than LAX or any other US airport I've been to. Usually at that point I'm just glad to be off the plane.

Security on the way back, however, is an absolute loving nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We took the kids to the Fall Fest at Kings Island (our regional amusement park) today. They introduced punch cards this year for the trick-or-treating bit. The kids carry a card to each station, and it gets punched to show you've been to that station (10 stations total throughout the park). People are up in arms about Kings Island trying to do something about the rampant candy hoarding that's been happening the past few years. I thought it was fine, but we were never part of the problem.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Zero One posted:

Delta and American both have daily flights to Atlanta and Charlotte, respectively. Delta is even a mainline flight. I also see Allegiant has regular service to a few cities.

Plus a couple daily flights from the UK.

Yeah, I came from Nashville and connected through Atlanta on Delta. It definitely depends on what you need from your airport and what else you'll be up to other than a cruise/Disney. We've got family friends out in Titusville so there's obviously a bit of an edge there.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Icedude posted:

The immigration hall at MCO isn't that bad. It's a long-rear end queue for sure, but it's no worse than LAX or any other US airport I've been to. Usually at that point I'm just glad to be off the plane.

Security on the way back, however, is an absolute loving nightmare.

I've never had a bad experience flying into MCO.
I've never had a good experience flying out of MCO.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We took the kids to the Fall Fest at Kings Island (our regional amusement park) today. They introduced punch cards this year for the trick-or-treating bit. The kids carry a card to each station, and it gets punched to show you've been to that station (10 stations total throughout the park). People are up in arms about Kings Island trying to do something about the rampant candy hoarding that's been happening the past few years. I thought it was fine, but we were never part of the problem.

We have attended the Brick-or-Treat event at Legoland California several times this season, and at the end of every night the candy people are literally dumping out their candy bins to whatever kids happen to pass by. We felt so guilty the first time it happened, but then we made it to closing time a few more times and so many candy carts were just looking to give everything away and we ended up with backpacks bulging with candy. Then, we attended a Brick-or-Treat event earlier in the day and the lines for candy were so long and the kids only got one or two pieces. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone!

Honestly, I refuse to feel guilty about their mismanagement, and now I don't have to buy any candy to give away on Halloween - I can just give away whatever candy my kids don't like from their Legoland hauls. I guess a candy pass might mitigate the lopsided candy distribution of these kinds of events, but bulk candy is very cheap and happy kids are so much more valuable to a theme park so I say let the sugar flow. For what people pay for tickets and parking and park food, keeping everyone happy with unlimited "free" candy is a small price to pay for good pr. Our end-of-night candy hauls are literally the main reason we will likely renew our annual passes for another year, it has been the highlight of our Halloween season!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Trip Review time!

Ship and Sail Info: The Disney Fantasy, embarkation 10/14/2023, seven-night sailing from Port Canaveral, Fla.
Specialty Theme?: Yes; Halloween on the High Seas
Ports of Call: Tortola, BVI; St. Thomas, USVI; Castaway Cay, Bahamas

Starting off, this was the 12th Disney Cruise Line sailing we have boarded, and the third time we have been on Fantasy. For reference, we have sailed each of Disney's five ships at least once. This trip felt like a pretty full sailing. I would characterize the overall passenger load as large parties with lots of children in tow. It was genuinely surprising how many kids were on the cruise considering there was no school holiday coinciding with the week. The majority of the passengers were from the U.S. and there were very few international travelers on this one, compared to when we usually sail in January/February, for example.

For some unknown reason, there was a peculiar sense of negativity coming from a lot of the parents on the cruise. Just a lot of complaining about anything they could complain about, and a lot of parents who were obviously over their kids. Luckily, this weird vibe really chilled after our first port day (Tortola) which happened to be 'Pirate Night.' After that, everything just ran smoother, aside from a gaggle of kids who decided it was funny to run up and down to the elevator banks hitting every button they could and running away. However, I laughed when a parent caught their kid doing that, and delivering an ominous, "get your rear end back to the room right this instant so we can have a talk..."

That said, our family and the friends we planned the trip with all had an amazing time. Now, for more specifics!

Dining: Overall, the food quality in the main dining rooms, buffet and Remy were very, very good and exceeded expectations. Ever since cruising returned from COVID, we have actually gone from avoiding Cabanas (the buffet on four of the five ships), to actually looking forward to eating there, and this cruise was somehow an improvement on the exceptional Cabanas experience we had aboard the Wonder in 2022. The Quick Service eatery, Fillmore's (it's Cars themed) was also fantastic this trip, better than I ever remember it. Everything I had from there was satisfying.

The only problems we had with our main dining service was that our head server was covering many more tables than he should have been, and our assistant server clearly checked out mentally since she was disembarking at the end of this trip. Other than that, nearly every single dish was served and either met or exceeded expectations. For example, at the Animator's Palate restaurant, I could usually take it or leave it, but I had some of the best meals of the cruise during those two evenings. Enchanted Garden and Royal Court were also excellent, and I am happy to report that Royal Court got its groove back on dessert offerings.

Somehow, the only bad meal we had was at the upcharge restaurant, Palo. We ordered a la carte so I could get my usual rack of lamb, but it was a small portion and not a great cut of meat. My wife's lobster pappardelle (her usual order), had overcooked lobster and the pasta sauce tasted way too sweet. Even our chocolate souffle, for the first time ever, was not the best dessert we had on board. It was also a smaller portion than we've had before. If we had paid full price for our meal, as-is, which would have been $144, I would have been really upset about it. Luckily we each had a $50 platinum cruiser credit to use there, so it was only about $50-ish after we added some additional gratuity, but if we sail Fantasy again, we will use that Palo credit on brunch or pre-fixe menu.

However, we experience Remy brunch for the first time ever. We did the dinner experience on our first-ever DCL sailing in 2013, but this was one of the best.. actually, the best meal, we had on this trip. Granted, if you opt-in for Remy Brunch, there are no options. You're served whatever the chef made, but I was thrilled with everything we had. Especially the "pea ice cream," which I had never seen before, but wow I loved it. We also were sat and out of there in about 90-100 minutes, which was awesome because Remy dinner takes 3+ hours. This wasn't cheap, $150ish, but I was not mad about the price at all. If you appreciate fine dining, this hit the mark even at that price.

The Cabin: We booked a family room with the split bathroom with an oceanview window. The room was huge with heaps of storage (more than we needed), and everything was in perfect working order. We had about 6 USB ports available to charge devices, and I wish we had 2 more. The mattress was also super comfortable, and i actually slept well on a cruise for the first time in nearly a decade. Our room steward was incredible and kept everything tidy, but he (and every other steward) were covering 12 rooms or so, when normally they cover 8, so he was in there at odd times to get us caught up.

Pools/Deck Amenities: So this was actually our first time spending any real time in the family pool area. The last time my daughter was with us on a warm month cruise, she was 18 months old. We were pleasantly surprised at how much less chaotic it was than we assumed it would be. She had a great time and we weren't getting annoyed with anyone. The splash pad and pools were all in great shape, and the the kids slide and AquaDuck. The only thing that wasn't in proper working order was the AquaLab, which is a larger splash pad area in the rear of the ship, but I'd say roughly 30% of the water jets were offline. My daughter had no idea so much of it wasn't working, so she still loved it, but it needs some TLC back there.

The Quiet Cove adult pool area was awesome. As always. The hot tub was available to use most of the time we were up there and the pool never got overcrowded. I was also impressed with the bar staff there because they didn't let me get low on my drinks if I didn't want to be. Excellent service, and very clean. The front of the adult area, Satellite Falls, was great if you just wanted to lay out and relax. They don't pump music up there, so you get to be alone with your thoughts, or a book, with great views of the ocean. I wish I had utilized it more because I did not rest enough on this trip.

We didn't the sports area on Deck 12 Aft, so I don't have anything to comment there.

Entertainment: I didn't attend any of the shows this time (just didn't want to), but my wife and inlaws went with our daughter and really enjoyed the three shows - Aladdin, Frozen and Believe. The guest entertainers also got high marks from them.

However, the onboard activities team, led by YoYo from Trinidad, was wonderful. They brought energy to everything they hosted and made sure everyone was having fun to the best of their ability. If participants in games weren't fun or really into it, they would take over and make it fun anyway. I was overall impressed with what they brought to the table.

Character Interactions: Since it is unique to Disney Cruise Line, I'm giving this its own category. The character meet and greets on this trip were done perfectly. Availability was frequent and the lines moved along quickly. My daughter (and me) got to meet absolutely every character we wanted to at least once. If you're sailing with kids who want to meet princesses though, I highly recommend signing up for the Princess Gathering (NOT the Royal Tea!). It's free, and gets you four meet-and-greets in less than 15 minutes. On this trip, we got Cinderella, Mulan, Tianna and Belle. Since it was a Halloween Cruise, we also had the main Disney characters in their Halloween outfits, along with Jack and Sally appearances.

Last up, Ports of Call quick notes...
-- St. Thomas -- We signed up for the Catamaran Champagne Sail and Snorkel for $99/head. Hell yeah, amazing excursion. They took us to St. John's, and I've never seen so many sea turtles. Twice, one swam within a foot of my face (though I didn't try and pet any). Then we got some time on the prettiest beach I have ever laid eyes on, aptly named "Postcard Beach."

-- Tortola -- As I remembered from the one other time I was there, there is nothing to do in the Road Town port. I booked a private excursion to take my daughter to a beach on the north side of the island, Cane Bay, and it was really nice. We got there early, 8:30 am, and were one of 3 families there for nearly 2 hours. However, it got PACKED by 11:30, so we took our taxi back to the ship at that point. However, my wife and our friends did the zipline excursion and raved about it.

-- Castway Cay -- We had bad enough rain in the morning that I was convinced we wouldn't be able to dock or get off. But I was wrong, and we did. I was also sure our stingray excursion would be canceled, but luckily, it wasn't. So we ended up having an incredible time, and my daughter signed into the on-land Oceaneer's Club and loved it. If she wasn't so hungry when we picked her up, she would have spent the whole day there. But the snorkeling was excellent, along with our stingray experience. We fed and swam with them, and will absolutely plan to do that again sometime.

I think that's everything I can think of right now. If you have any questions about this cruise or DCL in general, let me know!

Our next scheduled cruise, tentatively, is the Disney Treasure (new ship!), in January 2025. Not sure we will keep it, but it's there for now. Next year, we're pausing cruises because we have a backlog of other trips we desperately need to do to see friends and family we haven't seen in a long time. But we can't wait to get back for lucky #13!

Orty
May 14, 2007

Little late on the MCO discussion but it wasn't too bad our last trip (trip before that we drove). MEARS to/from and TSA Precheck helped a ton. My comment on making the flight in worth it to do a cruise or WDW is mostly from the flying itself. Motion sickness and just general bleh from flying never makes it a fun time. We only have Southwest or Frontier that do a nonstop into MCO, otherwise its mostly Delta through ATL or the others through CLT. We did Delta through ATL last time and that short stop makes me just want to do nonstop from now on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cockblocktopus posted:

I've never had a bad experience flying into MCO.
I've never had a good experience flying out of MCO.
It's always been the reverse for me, although I am domestic so that changes it. PHI is a perfectly nice airport but it always shunts my flights off to crappy out of the way F terminal and doesn't have any special lines or processing for TSA PreCheck. MCO has their poo poo together and they know how to process people, it's a much better organized, quicker, and more professional experience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MCO doesn't have automatic baggage drop and that is a loving sin.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Doronin posted:

Trip Review time!

Thanks for the awesome write up! Towards the end of next year we're looking at doing something with my parents and my sister and kid. She'll be turning 4 around then so she'll be in that prime Disney Cruise kinda age. Just gotta get my pancreas out, have my Dad recover a bit more post lung transplant and we'll be good to go! My niece was 2 and a half on our MSC cruise earlier this year and was shockingly well behaved so here's hoping that holds.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My family is very much a Disney World family. We go almost every year since I was a kid (my brother and I are mid 30s now). My parents bought into DVC about 10 years ago, and we usually stay at the GF Villas.

All that being said, I WANT TO GO ON A CRUISE. But my mom doesn't. What is special about a Disney Cruise vs going to WDW that I can try to sell her on?

Orty
May 14, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

All that being said, I WANT TO GO ON A CRUISE. But my mom doesn't. What is special about a Disney Cruise vs going to WDW that I can try to sell her on?

Also in this situation but with my wife. The ones out of Galveston are easier for us to get to (quick/sorta cheap 1.5hr flight or 8hr drive) but none of the current itineraries sound good to us unless we just don't get off the boat. Other than Alaska its the ones out of Florida which means WDW or cruise, and WDW wins out with her.

She is at least interested in going on the Disney Treasure at some point. But current itineraries seem to be all 7 day Caribbean?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

My family is very much a Disney World family. We go almost every year since I was a kid (my brother and I are mid 30s now). My parents bought into DVC about 10 years ago, and we usually stay at the GF Villas.

a hell of a lot more relaxing for one

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/OOCParks/status/1716640087155347771?s=20

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

drat, he got that upper body strength though.

do we have any info as to why 1900 park fare hasn't opened?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

drat, he got that upper body strength though.

do we have any info as to why 1900 park fare hasn't opened?

Remodeling that was delayed until the lobby was opened, which was only like a month ago.

They apparently did not want it running while the lobby work was being done, unclear why it wasn't done at the same time though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Drunkcot strikes again

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Those people repeatedly yelling “u gonna get banned from Disney!” seem fun at parties

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Haunted mansion bar deets on the Treasure.
Looking forward to this.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I kept thinking of Eisner's insane idea to put an actual hotel in the Tower of Terror. He had the right idea in that a ToT themed hotel would rule and this is along those lines. They need to do more of this and less sterile, holiday inn express looking rooms.

My wife and I are staying at Signia Bonnet Creek (Hilton property) for three nights this week. First time staying on property at WDW since we're UOAPs, but getting 3 nights at the TM rate was too good to pass up. Added bonus was we got a random 'free upgrade', which is giving us the Disney World View, I'm guessing we'll either be facing Epcot or Tower of Terror based on which side we're on, so that's neat!

I'm going to the Epcot holiday processional when Brendan Fraser is there but kicking the tires on Very Merry Christmas because Disney decided that Jollywood Nights can only run 12 nights total (nope, not irritated at all). How is it as an event? Worth going to if you've never gone?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I mean, sure, but we’re all just chasing the high the pyramid climber gave us

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Akileese posted:

kicking the tires on Very Merry Christmas because Disney decided that Jollywood Nights can only run 12 nights total (nope, not irritated at all). How is it as an event? Worth going to if you've never gone?

MVMCP is fine. It's nice. It's pretty. If you're not diabetic, you can become diabetic on the free cookies and hot chocolate/cider given out during the party and it's usually lower population than the halloween party is.

What you'll find at MVMCP:

-Nice snacks. There will be several counter service locations open with a variety of treats, though usually only one type of cookie and one drink in each spot. Last year, hot chocolate and sugar cookies were up near fantasyland. Unlimited, you just gotta go through the lines. They had coffee and apple cider, and I think there was one other drink I'm missing. And two more types of cookies.

-A special parade + fireworks + stage show. It's cute, it's sweet, you get cozy 80s-90s-type christmas movie feelings from it.

-Sincerely super low wait times for all but the biggest rides in the park. Toward the end of the night almost everything is a walk-on

If you do decide to do it and you've got extra cash to spend, do the dessert party up in Tomorrowland Terrace because it's just nice to sit and relax and not have to run around for your seat for the fireworks.

Things you won't find:

-Anything overtly religious in one direction or the other outside of it being a "christmas" party; it's very much mall santa type christmas, not churchy christmas. So if you're more into the bible reading thing that the processional does, this may or may not be your vibe.

-A lot of merchandise: I was surprised at how little there was last year.

-A ton of characters: Again, it felt kind of scant compared to other years. Though the characters you can meet are pretty cool to say hi to.

All in all, if you want a few extra hours of relatively low population fun in MK, do it. But it doesn't do the holiday as well as MNSSHP does, comparatively, as far as I'm concerned.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Akileese posted:

I kept thinking of Eisner's insane idea to put an actual hotel in the Tower of Terror. He had the right idea in that a ToT themed hotel would rule and this is along those lines. They need to do more of this and less sterile, holiday inn express looking rooms.

A room in ToT would be amazing. Imagine if they had one of these ultra luxury castle suite type rooms in every park. In AK it could be a tree house in the tree of life. Epcot could be a regular room where the figment walk around character sleeps next to you and stares in your direction all night long.
Instead of offering rooms with regular rate, just make them special "magic" type things where random families are identified and offered them for the night.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Akileese posted:

I'm going to the Epcot holiday processional when Brendan Fraser is there but kicking the tires on Very Merry Christmas because Disney decided that Jollywood Nights can only run 12 nights total (nope, not irritated at all). How is it as an event? Worth going to if you've never gone?
It did nothing for me, but I imagine it's better if you celebrate Christmas. To me it was extra time in the parks, a very whatever fireworks show and a neat enough parade that went Frozen-happy (understandably, they front-and-center Extremely Popular Ice Magic Girl at the winter event), some surprisingly not great cookies, and lukewarm apple juice that they had the unmitigated gall to call hot apple cider. Fake snow on Main Street was cute, though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

A room in ToT would be amazing. Imagine if they had one of these ultra luxury castle suite type rooms in every park. In AK it could be a tree house in the tree of life. Epcot could be a regular room where the figment walk around character sleeps next to you and stares in your direction all night long.
Instead of offering rooms with regular rate, just make them special "magic" type things where random families are identified and offered them for the night.

they are definitely not going to give a cast member the overtime for that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
How about a room where Figment watches porn with you? You can explain to him all the different ways you can use your iMaGiNaTiOn to enhance what you're watching.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

How about a room where Figment watches porn with you? You can explain to him all the different ways you can use your iMaGiNaTiOn to enhance what you're watching.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The EPCOT room should be in one of the buildings in the England Pavilian. Like they convert one in to an actual house you can stay in, complete with a butler and staff.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

For EPCOT they should just remake the house from Horizons and put it on AirBNB

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The suit doesn’t have to be filled!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
What Tower of Terror really needs is a bar/lounge themed to the Tip Top Club. They could even do a fake elevator ride to the top of the tower similar to the space restaurant concept.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

How about a room where Figment watches porn with you?

That's a weird suggestion for a new thread title.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

That's a weird suggestion for a new thread title.

Let's use our *unzips* imaGInaTionnnn

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Let's use our *unzips* imaGInaTionnnn

Figment's response: (timestamped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fyjEB26mQk&t=176s

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

MVMCP is fine. It's nice. It's pretty. If you're not diabetic, you can become diabetic on the free cookies and hot chocolate/cider given out during the party and it's usually lower population than the halloween party is.

What you'll find at MVMCP:

-Nice snacks. There will be several counter service locations open with a variety of treats, though usually only one type of cookie and one drink in each spot. Last year, hot chocolate and sugar cookies were up near fantasyland. Unlimited, you just gotta go through the lines. They had coffee and apple cider, and I think there was one other drink I'm missing. And two more types of cookies.

-A special parade + fireworks + stage show. It's cute, it's sweet, you get cozy 80s-90s-type christmas movie feelings from it.

-Sincerely super low wait times for all but the biggest rides in the park. Toward the end of the night almost everything is a walk-on

If you do decide to do it and you've got extra cash to spend, do the dessert party up in Tomorrowland Terrace because it's just nice to sit and relax and not have to run around for your seat for the fireworks.

Things you won't find:

-Anything overtly religious in one direction or the other outside of it being a "christmas" party; it's very much mall santa type christmas, not churchy christmas. So if you're more into the bible reading thing that the processional does, this may or may not be your vibe.

-A lot of merchandise: I was surprised at how little there was last year.

-A ton of characters: Again, it felt kind of scant compared to other years. Though the characters you can meet are pretty cool to say hi to.

All in all, if you want a few extra hours of relatively low population fun in MK, do it. But it doesn't do the holiday as well as MNSSHP does, comparatively, as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers! This is super helpful. I've been to MK a lot this year. I won't be showing up for the day since I'm gonna go to Disney springs and just sorta lounge until the event starts.

The terrace is a good tip. I need to see how much the upcharge is though.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

J33uk posted:

Thanks for the awesome write up! Towards the end of next year we're looking at doing something with my parents and my sister and kid. She'll be turning 4 around then so she'll be in that prime Disney Cruise kinda age. Just gotta get my pancreas out, have my Dad recover a bit more post lung transplant and we'll be good to go! My niece was 2 and a half on our MSC cruise earlier this year and was shockingly well behaved so here's hoping that holds.

Good luck with the operations/recovery! And that's awesome! Yeah, for the newly four-year-old it's going to be incredible. This past cruise was my daughter's fourth aboard DCL, two before she was two, and two since. When she was less than two, she was mesmerized by seeing the characters, especially Donald ("my #1 duck") and Tianna. Since then, she has so much fun in the Oceaneer's Club (kid's activities) and the little exclusive character interactions they get like storytime and scavenger hunts.

For me, it's the overall value. You pay your fare, and just about everything you need is included. All your food and your room (obviously), and 90% of any additional costs you incur will be from excursions you book, merchandise at the shops and alcohol. There's other things that could come up, like upgraded dining or premium coffee, but you can take it or leave it and never know you missed out on those, honestly. You also get much better character meet and greets, if that is anything important here, along with excellent entertainment offerings with the stage shows featuring Disney characters or re-interpretations of various IP (like Little Mermaid on the Wish; Aladdin and Frozen on the Fantasy; Tangled on the Magic; etc).

So you get a premium Disney experience, and to me, you're only really giving up the attractions and rides. I've spent waaaaay more time in the Parks than I have on DCL, and there's only one other thing I can think of and that is...

Silly Burrito posted:

a hell of a lot more relaxing for one

THIS! Holy poo poo, this. I've stayed at the Resorts a couple of times since our last big Parks trip in Feb. 2022, but the six actual Parks days during that last trip, for me, were not enjoyable. I am not going to hold Disney Parks & Resorts for my wife and inlaws' insane anxiety/OCD on that trip, but I never recall being so nickel and dimed before. Everywhere you turn was another fee or upcharge, and Genie+ is awful. I despise that system.

At least when you're at sea, you have the DCL Navigator App, but all you really use that for is scan the daily itinerary, chat with your cruise-mates and check out menus. It's not going to make or break how much you get to experience on the trip, and I usually go hours at a time without ever looking at it.

So long story short here -- going on DCL vs. Parks gives you a real chance to go on a Disney vacation, and actually come back more well fed and rested than when you arrived.

Orty posted:

Also in this situation but with my wife. The ones out of Galveston are easier for us to get to (quick/sorta cheap 1.5hr flight or 8hr drive) but none of the current itineraries sound good to us unless we just don't get off the boat. Other than Alaska its the ones out of Florida which means WDW or cruise, and WDW wins out with her.

She is at least interested in going on the Disney Treasure at some point. But current itineraries seem to be all 7 day Caribbean?

At this time, the Treasure is only doing seven-night Caribbean (east and west) itineraries. That's true. Just curious, but why wouldn't you want to get off the boat anywhere on those Caribbean sailings? I have a few ports I feel that way about, but just wondering.

The only cruise we have booked at the moment is the Treasure for January 2025, but it's very tentative. Not sure we're actually going to keep that one, but I really hope we do. The Haunted Mansion bar and other theming look awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Akileese posted:

Cheers! This is super helpful. I've been to MK a lot this year. I won't be showing up for the day since I'm gonna go to Disney springs and just sorta lounge until the event starts.

The terrace is a good tip. I need to see how much the upcharge is though.

It's not cheap, for sure. However, depending on how bougie you like to be at your Disney vacation, it can be a nice substitute for a late dinner. You're gonna survive off of sweets, crackers, and cheese; but it is totally doable.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Doronin posted:

At this time, the Treasure is only doing seven-night Caribbean (east and west) itineraries. That's true. Just curious, but why wouldn't you want to get off the boat anywhere on those Caribbean sailings? I have a few ports I feel that way about, but just wondering.

The only cruise we have booked at the moment is the Treasure for January 2025, but it's very tentative. Not sure we're actually going to keep that one, but I really hope we do. The Haunted Mansion bar and other theming look awesome.

I haven't looked too much at the stops the Treasure Caribbean sailings have but Castaway Cay is of course one we would get off at, the others probably have something that would get us to explore a bit. Its the current sailings out of Galveston that we would probably stay on, Cozumel and Progreso Mexico. From what little I've looked up nothing really stood out. If you got experience with those two stops though id be glad to hear it!

The Treasure certainly interests us the most just from the Moana show, Coco dining, even the lounge themes even though we don't really drink. I know its essentially the Wish but the theme differences definitely hit with us more. Even with that going for it, the 7 days its currently doing might take a bit of persuading. I easily get motion sick so we were thinking a 3-4 day for first cruise to test the waters.

Orty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 25, 2023

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Orty posted:

I haven't looked too much at the stops the Treasure Caribbean sailings have but Castaway Cay is of course one we would get off at, the others probably have something that would get us to explore a bit. Its the current sailings out of Galveston that we would probably stay on, Cozumel and Progreso Mexico. From what little I've looked up nothing really stood out. If you got experience with those two stops though id be glad to hear it!

The Treasure certainly interests us the most just from the Moana show, Coco dining, even the lounge themes even though we don't really drink. I know its essentially the Wish but the theme differences definitely hit with us more.

I've been to Cozumel a bunch of times and Progreso twice. Progreso is not great so that would be a good day to stay on the ship. Cozumel has some good beach stuff like Chankanab and Mr. Sancho's. Chankanab is like a waterpark/nature preserve/beach thing and food and drinks are usually included. The cruise lines usually have an excursion for this. Mr. Sancho's does not partner with cruise lines but you can book it yourself online and then take a cab from the port to the park. It's not too far and the cab fare is usually pretty cheap. It's a beach with some water inflatables (those cost extra) and it's all inclusive so all you can eat or drink. It's very clean and they have nice bathrooms and changing areas plus a pool with a swim up bar. I've been to Mr. Sancho's three times and been very satisfied each time. Our kids really liked it.

Progreso, at least where Carnival docks, is very industrial and you have to take a bus ride into the town. Right inside the town is kind of a flea market thing but that's truly the best it's got going for it. I didn't love it either time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And some Galveston cruises stop at a place called Costa Maya, which is pretty literally nothing but a cruise port. There’s a big beach there and a bunch of people trying to sell you stuff (and we got some excellent ceviche there) but it’s pretty skippable. Unless you want to spend some hours on a beach.