Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
All of the engine features and tooling are complete. Now real development of Squadron 42 can truly begin... starting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

J33uk posted:

Wow the SC reddit seems even more demented than usual. People tearily thanking Chris, knowing that they just had to stay the course and that they'd never lost faith. All for the same announcement we've heard in various forms for years, that the feature work is (almost) done and they just need to polish it up and get it out of the door. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the Pyro launch almost certainly being the usual level of shitshow that everything with this game is. Note, interesting, not surprising because they'll just spin the usual web of bullshit rationalization.

But but Pyro access is going to be given to the most privileged few starting next week, on a test server that won't allow you to go back and forth between the two systems (don't worry though, that seamless loading is definitely coming I swear). That means that Pyro is almost here, and definitely won't stew on this new alpha channel for half a year and then stew on the PTU for another 9 months after that!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Happy Sisyphus posted:

The reasonable take has always been that both sides of the Star Citizen obsessive spectrum (from CIG cultist to rabid hate-watcher) will be disappointed, in some sense.

Insane citizens daydreaming about the perfect space adventure life sim Chris promises will never see their fantasies materialize, but equally we've been posting in this thread for long enough to see that CIG and its projects will keep shambling along. Maybe if the singleplayer game is undeniably broken and awful it could finally break the faith of backers, but it seems more likely to be just buggy and mediocre, and at this point it's clear that mediocrity is something Star Citizen fans are more than prepared to accept.

They are prepared for mediocre gameplay, I'm not sure they'd be prepared for mediocre sales.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

that squadron42 video is a powerful sedative. the only thing that kept me going was the cavalcade of famous actors who proceeded to deliver incredibly boring lines (at 11.25kHz??)

it's not even bad writing. bad writing could make me feel something. the room made me laugh at least. sq42 made me get up and do some laundry.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Cutedge posted:

But but Pyro access is going to be given to the most privileged few starting next week, on a test server that won't allow you to go back and forth between the two systems (don't worry though, that seamless loading is definitely coming I swear). That means that Pyro is almost here, and definitely won't stew on this new alpha channel for half a year and then stew on the PTU for another 9 months after that!

Of course it won't.

It'll just disappear entirely one day, and after a week or two of stonewalling, CIG will grumble something about how they were just testing Pyro, and they got all the information they needed from that test so there was no reason to continue it, and anyway Pyro will be back "soon," once they've got the tools for whatever made-up buzzword is currently standing between them and server meshing, and on top of all that HOW VERY DARE YOU ALL, asking questions about a game that's only just started development. Buncha entitled snowflake haters, just demoralizing the devs and taking all of the fun out of Star Citizen for everyone.

Also, here's a fun fact: Squadron 42 is still 404 on CIG's storefront. I guess that's their famous marketing acumen at work; stoke interest with the amazing (lol) news and video of a "feature complete" Sq42, and be ready to turn that excitement and hype into sales in, uh,...a few years or so, when they figure out if they'll actually ever manage to get something they could sell finished, maybe.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
Is it time to buy an Idris yet?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Ash1138 posted:

that squadron42 video is a powerful sedative. the only thing that kept me going was the cavalcade of famous actors who proceeded to deliver incredibly boring lines (at 11.25kHz??)

it's not even bad writing. bad writing could make me feel something. the room made me laugh at least. sq42 made me get up and do some laundry.

Yeah that really captures it. The writing isn’t even bad. It’s not even there.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Magrov posted:

Is it time to buy an Idris yet?

the answer is always and forever will be "YES"

and also 'you only own 1? ha pleb!'

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Dunno 'bout youse lot, but I am jonesing for the first post-con-- I mean, post-Con Pea-Catte Poast.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Fresh Ink posted:

After backing way back in December 2013 I always knew I wanted some Star Citizen ink at some point but I kept putting it off because well.... You know. After CitizenCon I finally decided it was time. I may be riding the hype train hard and some of you will call me crazy but I've been following Star Citizen more than half of my adult life and even with it's ups and down I regret NOTHING. I am a Star Citizen and always will be.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

i appreciate someone that enjoys a video game, i have spent hundreds of hours on some games over my entire gaming life time

but holy yikes my dude this is beyond the pale

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its nice how every article about SC is now full of people going "They showed server meshing and its revolutionary, its more important then 3d graphics" but never actually explaining how or why. It just is.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Since I'm the type of person who can't keep from constantly touching a wound despite it hurting me, I looked at their big opening flyover. It looks goddamn awful. Their "physicalized water fx" look goddamn awful. The whole thing looks like a cinematic from an age when you'd have to stream it off a cd. The framerate is awful. Their big chance to fake a presentation for a fake game and it looks like something with the [Retro] tag on steam.

I demand a higher quality lie. :colbert:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CitizenKain posted:

Its nice how every article about SC is now full of people going "They showed server meshing and its revolutionary, its more important then 3d graphics" but never actually explaining how or why. It just is.

It may very well be those things. It's just that every other game in the history of the world has been done without them because it's totally unnecessary.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
All of this Star Citizen bullshit and seeing Sandi's in-game character reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_mNF5kKm8

Still hilarious

Edit: lol I just realized that the little girl saying "You need to take care of YOU first" is actually Sandi Roberts's daughter. That's really something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, server meshing itself isn't impossible the argument has always been that it's dumb and won't work at scale like CIG have described it. Making a demo with 5 players in a tiny greybox room is one thing, now turn that up to a few hundred players with ships/lasers/ballistics and whatever else they want to simulate and it's just going to break.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

Well I guess if you decide that actually you aren't going to do 95% of what you promised and are just going to ship what you have done now, that is technically "feature complete"

After ten years of this BS you guys should be able to understand CIG-speak. "feature complete" just means that Chris has agreed not to ask for new features to be added to the game. That's it, it'll just have the current list of planned features (which is a microscopic subset of the dreamed ones) . This doesn't mean that the features are working, hell it doesn't even mean that they have started work on those features, just that there won't be more surprise features ahead.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/FHxqlGt.mp4

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Holy poo poo reading threads about this on Reddit has really been something.

I can't believe how deluded these people are.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I dunno if I forgot or never knew it, but finding out the solar systems are 1/10 scale had me giggling over how deluded backers are if they really think they want true fidelity astronomical distances.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

They also believe that 100 sextillion kilometres is a lot of space, since that's what CI¬G has told them.
Kilometres. As a measure of space. Not realising that you can trivially fit that distance inside a modestly sized bathroom.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JammyB posted:

All of the engine features and tooling are complete. Now real development of Squadron 42 can truly begin... starting now.

All it took was 13-14 years of preplanning!

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
good to see goons being wrong again, you have all been beaten by the master chris roberts, he has released the trailer to the world and announced that it's for real this time, it's feature complete. See you space janitor

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
is the 26 minute video on youtube saying i held the line the actual trailer? wtf

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Mellow_ posted:

All of this Star Citizen bullshit and seeing Sandi's in-game character reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_mNF5kKm8

Still hilarious

Edit: lol I just realized that the little girl saying "You need to take care of YOU first" is actually Sandi Roberts's daughter. That's really something.

How can your acting be so loving bad you can tell from a voice over? And Sandi’s daughter is wayyy better at acting

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mellow_ posted:

Still hilarious

Sandi has that uncanny valley speaking voice that sounds like Siri. Reminds me of this (timestamped link).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QJazEHMUo&t=1132s

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Everything about Sandi is so Uncanny Valley that I still am not convinced she is a real person

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So did that guy ever shift all his hotel rooms for the con?

Edit: this is also a super minor thing but something that annoys me. In game the voice over is always going on about heading like theyre aircraft but they're not, they're in space what does setting your heading to 260 even mean in space.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 24, 2023

trout_yossarian
Aug 31, 2023

Aramoro posted:

Edit: this is also a super minor thing but something that annoys me. In game the voice over is always going on about heading like theyre aircraft but they're not, they're in space what does setting your heading to 260 even mean in space.

Even in aircraft you'd get heading and flight level (altitude).

The server meshing is all bullshit. Networking code is a whole other bag of enchiladas, and I refuse to even begin to believe that whatever they have come up with is anything other than bullshit. Just an excuse to tell backers that can't be easily refuted, because network code (real) may as well be black magic to most people.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

trout_yossarian posted:

...because network code (real) may as well be black magic to most people.

Network code isn't real and stop trying to scare the kids into think it is. :colbert:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 24, 2023

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Incidentally, did they say when Pyro was coming to the live game?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

Sandi has that uncanny valley speaking voice that sounds like Siri. Reminds me of this (timestamped link).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QJazEHMUo&t=1132s

I was convinced it was generated voice over cut up footage because it never shows her physically talking on camera. What the gently caress that is the worst line reading I have ever heard.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

lobsterminator posted:

I'm pretty sure she took too many speech classes or whatever to erase her Australian accent in hopes that it would help her film career once she got to LA.
It makes her speech very carefully enunciated which makes her sound like she's constantly reading lines off a script, but it's like the first time she's ever seen the script.

The end result is a pretty odd speech pattern which ironically probably made her mostly unhirable as an actor.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

I'm pretty sure she took too many speech classes or whatever to erase her Australian accent in hopes that it would help her film career once she got to LA.
It makes her speech very carefully enunciated which makes her sound like she's constantly reading lines off a script, but it's like the first time she's ever seen the script.

The end result is a pretty odd speech pattern which ironically probably made her mostly unhirable as an actor.

Or just go in guns blazing with your natural accent and learn how to mimic other accents as you hone your craft like every other actor in the world has done

How many people in here didn’t even know -insert actor name- was even -insert nationality-

Sandi the snake queen is not one of those folks

She will forever be known as the rich wannabe actress who using her husbands bank account linked directly to the CIG coffers bankrolled some art student projects which flopped at the cinema , and is now forcing her children into her foot steps

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I forgot to mention one piece of game design i regarded as, um, dubious. They're making warping out into a thing where you have to hold the stick against turbulence for like 15 seconds or else you just fall out of warp. It sounds like the sort of thing that gets real old, real fast, especially if you need to jump up to answer the phone or the door or something.

On the plus side you can jump to nearby objects without doing the whole rigamarole.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Incidentally, did they say when Pyro was coming to the live game?

I didn't see them say it directly, but what I recall reading is that they're gonna put it on the 'preview channel' (???) for whales 'soon'. Then later move it to the test server, then theoretically put it to live. Word is that it will be a separate login and you can't jump there (lol they are so bad at this. the most basic function of an MMO, c'mon.)

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 24, 2023

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Well Star Trek always talked about setting course and Star Citizen has never had a single original concept in its development cycle so of course we had to bring that in

I don't really know what setting headings would mean in the context of space travel, you'd want to set courses instead because it's not the 1930s and we're not manually having to calculate wind drift and magnetic variation.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I forgot to mention one piece of game design i regarded as, um, dubious. They're making warping out into a thing where you have to hold the stick against turbulence for like 15 seconds or else you just fall out of warp. It sounds like the sort of thing that gets real old, real fast, especially if you need to jump up to answer the phone or the door or something.

On the plus side you can jump to nearby objects without doing the whole rigamarole.

I didn't see them say it directly, but what I recall reading is that they're gonna put it on the 'preview channel' (???) for whales 'soon'. Then later move it to the test server, then theoretically put it to live. Word is that it will be a separate login and you can't jump there (lol they are so bad at this. the most basic function of an MMO, c'mon.)

inb4 they sell a special computer module that you can plug into ANY ship, and it will take care of that pesky turbulence for you!

hazaa

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If Microsoft hadn't booted Roberts off of Freelancer he'd still be "developing" the drat thing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

To Chris From the Community posted:

CitizenCon 2953 - Chris and Team
Just wanted to say congrats Chris and to your team for your BIG win this weekend! I hope us the crowd, in person and virtual, really showed how much we support you all and love what your doing. It was a win of a weekend for you all and a big win for the community. You all deserve this.

I HELD THE LINE

quote:

I HELD THE LINE (and my wallet ready) o7!

P. S. ...and F8 the Idris! (got a Poo-laris too)

quote:

Heh heh.. yup. I'm 62.. a jaded former drug and alcohol addiction counselor. There's not much wows me but I was quietly impressed and gratified. Cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to appreciate it all before age and infirmity fully set in. Touched to see Chris's reaction to the crowd, he's only a little younger than me. At his age I took early retirement, proud of my 30 years of community service. He's got years more work to look forward to.

I've met many of the team in person and the impression I've always come away with after talking to them is that it is a passion project for them and they feel a great sense of duty toward the community to make it the best that can be made. No compromises. Exactly as they said, relentless optimism.

I did a lot of nodding at the screen throughout this weekend, a couple of air punches. The first video of the PU was a definite 'Hold my beer' to the rest of the industry, the Replication Layer live demo and the Squadron 42 video was a 'Not even close' to the competition. It was good to see Chris address some of the misinformation that gets put about. To misquote Lord of the Rings.. We Citizens bow to no-one.

Finally... it's as good as I always hoped it would be. No, actually better. It's a nice satisfying 'gently caress you' to those who told us it would never happen over and over again.

Deeply sad for those we've lost along the way but I think this weekend they would have been, just like us, proud of the team, proud of us all for holding the line all these years,