Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sort sellers by number of a particular part in stock. Usually the crazy huge stores will have many multiples at least of relatively common pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I just wish Studio was less of a nightmare for working with precise connections or Technic pieces. And forget about using flexible parts without going insane.

I seem to recall the original LDD software being able to simulate movement/hinging with multiple points of contact.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BaconCopter posted:

As if the rumor gods heard your plea Brick Clicker just dropped November GWP info!

40595 A Tribute to Galileo ~Nov 1st until ??? (probably until the next GWP)
and drum roll please
40601 Majisto's Magical Workshop current rumor is that it's going to be available on the 18th and 19th for Lego's VIP Insider Weekend (should also have 2x Insider Points) and probably come back for the 24-27th. 365 pc, comes with Majisto and two knights
A Winter Market Stall holiday GWP should be available at the same time as 40601
There will also be a Christmas VIP parts polybag GWP

The upcoming Natural History Museum modular should be revealed this week... and might release in December? Huh?

So, rumor gods, please can we have some news on the Medieval Market Village? :pray:

I'm not quite getting the "double Majisto" thing, I know it's just leaks and no one really knows, but... so the insider weekend on 18-19 November is 2x points (which is basically a 10% cashback, up from the "regular" 5% cashback) and will have Majisto GWP, but then the same GWP will also come back for Black Friday on 24-27 November together with actual honest-to-God money discounts? Since I already know what I'm going to grab to get the GWP (Viking village 100% and if that's not enough, 31109 pirate ship 3-in-1), I guess I should figure out if those things are likely to get discounted for black friday - my gut says no, one is the latest Ideas set to come out, the other seems to be a best seller that I've never seen discounted beyond like 5% and is actually over retail on most Ebay stores and the like - or if I care more about the points, esp. since I'm about to reach the biggest discount treshold ... sigh. I actually like doing these things and figuring out what's the best way to get my desired outcome in general, but it can get frustrating :v:

Also, at least here in EU the Spooky Pirate Cove GWP went out of stock within 2 days of releasing... I doubt Majisto is going to last beyond the first "wave" - unless they've produced A LOT of stock - with how thirsty everyone is for castle things, we really only have the Castle and Forestmen GWP right now and I can't be the only one wishing they'd put out more, MOOOORE...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 24, 2023

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know why Lego is so averse to making that part or similar parts. They must think it goes against the spirit of Lego or something. Couldn't tell you why but it's my only guess. It would be insanely useful though.
I don't know but at this point, they've developed SO many techniques for stud inversion that it may simply be not fun or even not needed for the designers to have it. I mean, it's such an obvious piece that it must be missing due to specific opposition to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main issue with such a piece is it'd need a little line cut out of it like tiles get so people can get a fingernail in there to remove it. Maybe with stud inversion people don't care and will work around it but that would prevent using it on exteriors (except in cases where the lines are actually used as a feature, which I'm sure some builder would eventually do).

Yeah brick separators exist but we all prefer to use our fingers first.

It is still a weird omission though. We already have double sided bricks, so why not plates?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Oh god I've discovered Bricklink Studio.

How the hell is this free program on par or better than some $1000.00+ cad platforms lol.

Real question. How good is bricklink for sourcing many many copies of a single piece, like lets say 1x13 liftarms?
BrickLink is usually the best option, but if it's a current production part that exists in low quantities on the aftermarket, PAB can be a good (sometimes better) source. And, if you just need a truly unbelievable quantity, you can join an RLUG and get in on the annual bulk. One of our members is working on an enormous trussed bridge and ordered about 1400 1x15 technic liftarms in green. There is no seller in the world on BL that has that many.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

deoju posted:

The build also included one of this double male 2x1 plate, which Lego has never made. I have to imagine would be useful though.

I was waiting for your review of this set since you mentioned picking it up. Thanks!

Also, that's a clone of a Mega piece that's been around for years and year. Surprisingly they don't use it was often as you'd think.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the double stud piece symmetrical or does it have a top and bottom? That might be a pain for instructions.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is the double stud piece symmetrical or does it have a top and bottom? That might be a pain for instructions.

It's symmetrical.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

smackfu posted:

It's functionally symmetrical but it has a top side and a hollow under side

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

a little more of my city has been built
https://imgur.com/a/UZevxFK

I absolutely need to figure out how to make more space for this. Probably set 2 Kallax side by side and use both their tops? basically doubling my space and letting me walk around it all (if I put them jutting in the middle of the room, like I want to do and like my wife definitely doesn't want me to)

I have 2 creator sets yet to build and I also plan to buy the train station, God help me

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 24, 2023

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The Dune Ornithopter was officially announced today, looks absolutely incredible.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/dune-atreides-royal-ornithopter-10327?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUK-JF2DY0n6uhs-3146997-1433038-10

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Baron mini fig is sheer perfection.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TorakFade posted:

a little more of my city has been built
https://imgur.com/a/UZevxFK

I absolutely need to figure out how to make more space for this. Probably set 2 Kallax side by side and use both their tops? basically doubling my space and letting me walk around it all (if I put them jutting in the middle of the room, like I want to do and like my wife definitely doesn't want me to)

I have 2 creator sets yet to build and I also plan to buy the train station, God help me

I've been watching your city grow with interest since I need to expand my kid's with tables or shelves. Why not use folding tables? Little more depth, not cost prohibitive. Seem like they're about 10 bucks per foot (4, 6, 8 feet at home Depot)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Baron mini fig is sheer perfection.

It's so loving funny - I am buying whatever it comes with just to display it prominently amongst all my stuff.

E: Oh, it comes with the Ornithopter - even better lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Those one-piece wing blades give me major Insectoid vibes (that theme sucked tbh but it came out right in my prime Lego window)

Vintersorg posted:

It's so loving funny - I am buying whatever it comes with just to display it prominently amongst all my stuff.

E: Oh, it comes with the Ornithopter - even better lol

That DUNC logo is a :master:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just noticed it's all hands - wow!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
heres an instagram video which shows some of the action and while the flapping looks kind of goofy everything else looks badass, seems like you can even fold the wings with a button or something?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyyMRftIusr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

sold. maybe not at rrp but if it goes ever so mildly on sale I'm all over it.

e: the wing folding action looks insane, I was skeptical but this rules hard

Zwille fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Pretty hosed up to show it off when we can't buy it for another three months

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
That looks better than I had hoped, and bless that guy's enthusiasm for its swooshability.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have zero space for the Ornithopter itself but I’m absolutely buying that Baron off bricklink.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ornithopter doesn't look as good as some of the MOCs and doesn't use some parts I thought were no brainers, but it seems to be a compromise to do a bunch of cool play features, so I am ok with it. Overall just surprised that it looks more Lego playset than 18+ but it still looks very good. The minifig selection is excellent. Definitely the first expensive Lego set in a while I'll get day one. I still can't believe they made a Denis Villeneuve Dune set lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also it's crazy they did both that Baron body and brand new giant 1 piece elements for the wings just for that set. Can't even get them to print parts for Star Wars sets that are priced at 30%+ more and have less stuff in them.

E: AND a new cockpit piece.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 24, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FBS posted:

Pretty hosed up to show it off when we can't buy it for another three months

You can buy it now!

It just won't arrive for another 3 months.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

Also it's crazy they did both that Baron body

it's just a giant cloak

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:ibadpop:
Just pre-ordered that beautiful thing.

Edit: Where the gently caress am I going to put that thing? Since the legs are so solid you could probably use some technic pieces to make a wall mount.

deoju fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Butterfly Valley posted:

it's just a giant cloak

Yeah it’s hard to see in some angles, I also thought it was a solid piece at first

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, in the main image it looks plastic. The rear side of the fabric makes it look like a giant version of the "dress" part from that angle.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh, it's not as funny now. :(

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The wing folding mechanic is freakin' superb. SO happy with how this turned out.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Day 1, but that Baron Harkonnen minifig is so funny.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiWzKOuhPqQ

Okay, looks good.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i believe in mike p.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm gonna be a curmudgeon; I don't think it looks significantly cooler than the black panther ornithopter, at 10x the price.

What I'm saying is they need to make a whole range of dune stuff in the $15-20 range to have battles with, but somehow kids aren't into DUNE and I don't know why?!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Posting on the Lynch Dune Page

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

trevorreznik posted:

I'm gonna be a curmudgeon; I don't think it looks significantly cooler than the black panther ornithopter, at 10x the price.

What I'm saying is they need to make a whole range of dune stuff in the $15-20 range to have battles with, but somehow kids aren't into DUNE and I don't know why?!

I think it looks like a war helicopter crossed with a dragonfly. And neither in a good way. The play features look cool but the set is ugly as gently caress.

E:

https://www.target.com/p/lego-icons-dune-atreides-royal-ornithopter-build-and-display-set-10327/-/A-89144337

You can preorder at Target for 10% off.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 25, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the front end looks fantastic but it’s weirdly kind of unfinished looking on the back end. Exposed technic bricks, very little greebling or stud/tile balance.

Still I think it looks great but it is kind of under detailed for an 18+ set.

The price point seems super reasonable which is a nice change of pace for LEGO as of late.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Bummer, that's a pass for me. For such a distinctively clean looking craft, the lego model is quite messy.

Agree that it's unfinished looking and going for "play features" over clean refined lines in a Dune tie-in aimed at adults feels like a weird choice. But maybe the kids love Dune, idk.

The copious exposed studs, exposed technic and lack of ball joints for the wing connections are the bad points to me.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 25, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Agree that it's unfinished looking and going for "play features" over clean refined lines in a Dune tie-in aimed at adults feels like a weird choice. But maybe the kids love Dune, idk.

Lego is in a weird place still with 18+ sets. They seem to be pushing the adult market more and more, and getting licenses more and more geared towards adults but still insisting that every set be appealing to children.

They even say as much in the designer reveal video for this.

Give them a few more years and you'll be seeing sets that aren't aimed at children at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PriorMarcus posted:

Lego is in a weird place still with 18+ sets. They seem to be pushing the adult market more and more, and getting licenses more and more geared towards adults but still insisting that every set be appealing to children.

They even say as much in the designer reveal video for this.

Give them a few more years and you'll be seeing sets that aren't aimed at children at all.

I kind of get it. I was the kind of kid who absolutely would have been into Dune and would have loved a set like this, but on the other hand I also would have been just as into a more accurate model with less moving parts.

Just seems like the riskier choice to play to both crowds in this instance.