Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can also patch out the sigil drawing, which is what I'm doing despite playing on a DSi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Those games are so good, criminal there's not a rerelease.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Anybody who played Hyper Light Drifter through Steam know anything different in the iOS port? Was wondering if I should try it through Moonlight or just pay the $4.99 for the “Special Edition” on my AppleTV/iPhone/iPad.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Commander Keene posted:

You can also patch out the sigil drawing, which is what I'm doing despite playing on a DSi.

can you link this? I hate the sigil drawing. Are you using this one?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3408/

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
the difficulty in Timebreak Chronicles goes off the rails in chapter 4, goddamn. Even on Easy some non-boss fights start with half my team dead because the enemy gets 6 turns in a row lmao

Also the end of chapter boss fights can be a chore since you won't know what the gimmick is and there's no saving - you gotta do the whole 30 minute run again to get another chance against the boss.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

Anybody who played Hyper Light Drifter through Steam know anything different in the iOS port? Was wondering if I should try it through Moonlight or just pay the $4.99 for the “Special Edition” on my AppleTV/iPhone/iPad.

There might be some unique goodies on iOS. I believe the Switch version has a skin that's unique to that platform.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

the difficulty in Timebreak Chronicles goes off the rails in chapter 4, goddamn. Even on Easy some non-boss fights start with half my team dead because the enemy gets 6 turns in a row lmao

Also the end of chapter boss fights can be a chore since you won't know what the gimmick is and there's no saving - you gotta do the whole 30 minute run again to get another chance against the boss.

ugh, well poo poo

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Anti-Hero posted:

There might be some unique goodies on iOS. I believe the Switch version has a skin that's unique to that platform.

Ok…for $4.99 I’ll probably get it just to try it out. Just didn’t want to replay and find out half the game was left out :shepspends:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Macichne Leainig posted:

Where can I find these asses to, er, avoid, of course

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

🎂

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:trumppop:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Slay the Princess

Wasn't this like a free game at some point? It just released for $18 as a full game and the reviews seem pretty great.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It had a demo during a previous Next Fest, maybe that's what you're thinking of

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

pentyne posted:

Slay the Princess

Wasn't this like a free game at some point? It just released for $18 as a full game and the reviews seem pretty great.

Yeah, the demo was just Act 1, though I don't know how much of it carries over to the game. I really liked it and plan to pick it up after work -- sort of a horror / time loop game where each loop you get a new neurotic inner voice based on the result of the last loop

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

ugh, well poo poo

FWIW game's extremely fun up to this point but I feel like this is where the game starts expecting players to sit down and strategize a lot more than what I've been doing. It's 100% a recommend from me, and given how slowly it updates who knows when it's going to leave early access but what's already there is great.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Substandard posted:

can you link this? I hate the sigil drawing. Are you using this one?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3408/
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the hack I'm using.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone here try out pandemic train ?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Every day on my way to work buddy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

God drat konami has done it again
They saw the Metroid prime remaster for 40 bucks and said "all that effort for less than 60?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Upsidads posted:

They saw the Metroid prime remaster for 40 bucks and said "all that effort for less than 60?"

Yeah, they just forgot to put in the effort part.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Upsidads posted:

Yup, it's not great on PC.

You can't even start the single player modes of MGS2 and 3 without hard crashes on Steam Deck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, they just forgot to put in the effort part.
That also sounds like modern Konami. Although not so much "forgot" to put in the effort as "assumed they didn't have to because 'everyone will buy anything with the MGS name anyways'".

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Yup, it's not great on PC.

You can't even start the single player modes of MGS2 and 3 without hard crashes on Steam Deck.

Sounds awful. I’ve wishlisted it and will wait for the worst of these bugs to get fixed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cartoon Man posted:

Sounds awful. I’ve wishlisted it and will wait for the worst of these bugs to get fixed.

Better solution:

Necrothatcher posted:

The PS3 version of the HD Collection emulates fine on Deck, so I'm just going to stick with that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just wanted a version of MG3 that combined all of the different improvements spread out across different console versions into one game but I guess that was WAY too much to ask.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I just wanted a version of MG3 that combined all of the different improvements spread out across different console versions into one game but I guess that was WAY too much to ask.

Is this where the monkey paw curls, and the upcoming MGS 3 (delta?) remake has the improvements, but is somehow way worse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orvin posted:

Is this where the monkey paw curls, and the upcoming MGS 3 (delta?) remake has the improvements, but is somehow way worse.

Oh right, I forgot that's gonna be a thing.

I'm not particularly optimistic about that version being good, but you never know I suppose.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving lmao.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

loving lmao.

Yeah they probably ain't hitting a reliable 30 FPS either

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You know what adjective I would not use when describing a 30 fps UI?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dear Konami nice start on the Castlevania collections when the hell is the part with SOTN & DS games It's been years

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The gamedev pre-apology tweet is the natural extension of the postlaunch logo apology tweet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The games I was looking forward to most this month like Cities Skylines and MGS 3 on PC have ended up making GBS threads the bed pretty badly in one way or another. Embarrassing given how strong the rest of the year has been for games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
sub-60 fps on high-end PC hardware is going to be normal for like the next two or three years at least. Welcome to next gen.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Is there a reason developers don't optimise anything any more?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
People still preorder games 20 years later, do you really have to ask? :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skulker posted:

Is there a reason developers don't optimise anything any more?

:10bux:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're increasingly overwhelmed by complexity and their talent keeps fleeing to jobs that pay far more and offer far better work-life balance, on top of the primary need to get a product out so they can keep getting people their paychecks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Earth Defense Force guys are looking to get 60fps when you were lucky to get 20 a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Nobody who knows how to write low-latency high performance code willingly works in game development, and keeping a lid on poly/texture/draw call budgets requires expertise as well.

It basically all boils down to game development being a severely unattractive field.