Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
MGS1 works fine, though gently caress knows how to download the language packs for Integral. I played MGS1 for 28 minutes, so asked for a refund.

I'll consider Delta when it's reviewed, but for now, I'm going to emulate the old games instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gotta love konami

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Refunded already, as couldn't fix any of the crashes/audio issues even with Proton version fiddling.

The PS3 version of the HD Collection emulates fine on Deck, so I'm just going to stick with that.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 24, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the hd collection on ps3 was so good.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Sounds like another victory for emulation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The difference between this and the hd collection is this doesn't have Peace Walker but does have MGS. And it has the NES games in addition to the MSX ones, where the previous had only the MSX.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Necrothatcher posted:

Refunded already, as couldn't fix any of the crashes/audio issues even with Proton version fiddling.

The PS3 version of the HD Collection emulates fine on Deck, so I'm just going to stick with that.

Huh, I had no idea.

I hadn't looked into PS3 emulation in years. Last time I did so, there wasn't an emulator worth using, and nobody was sure proper emulation of the Cell chip was even possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Annath posted:

Huh, I had no idea.

I hadn't looked into PS3 emulation in years. Last time I did so, there wasn't an emulator worth using, and nobody was sure proper emulation of the Cell chip was even possible.

RPCS3 has gotten pretty drat good over the last 5 years or so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

It's literally the 2011 HD Collection versions of MGS2 and 3 in a new launcher - to the point where the loading screens have the HD Collection logo.

They actually went ahead and fixed a lot of the glitches in the HD collection and then also messed up some of the resolution scaling. They also introduced new glitches in MGS3 because the higher frame rate breaks some things (the switch avoids this by having all games at 30fps). But hey, you get achievements and some neat additional content with it. Not sure the original HD collection had it but this one lets make a “fake” save of games like Contra and Silent Hill for the sake of the Psycho Mantis fight (it also lets you digitally “change” your controller from 1 to 2) . 2-3 run considerably better than 1 because of the forced load/framerate they put on it.

this post goes pretty in-depth on a lot of the changes/updates found

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 24, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hopefully the MGS Collection gets fixed later down the line.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm having deja vu... what year is this? Where's my Xbox 360?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yes, Konami is well known for providing long-term support for their games and not just re-releasing half-baked versions of their best hits.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At least modding exists.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
on-site procurement (of isos)…

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Please buy Silent Hill Homecoming for 40$, it barely works without fanpatch

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ah yes, Konami is well known for providing long-term support for their games and not just re-releasing half-baked versions of their best hits.

Shockingly enough that was actually kinda true with that last Bomberman game they put out.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I didn’t realize I could plug a keyboard in and get a plain-text linux console by pressing Ctrl+alt+F1 like any old linux PC and be able to swap back to the Steam GUI. No need to boot into desktop mode to do command liney things.

Hooray for computers.

Got a new 4k monitor and plugged the deck in. Google maps in chrome is not the snappiest thing. There’s some limitations to the hardware here…

I’m going to have to look into video players like VLC that’ll run well SteamOS mode so i can play weird old codecs and poo poo from Napster -- Boondock.Saints.720p.DIVX.DVDRip.800MB.[PR0PER]-ShitKickerZz.avi

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 24, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

23 Skidoo posted:

MGS1 works fine, though gently caress knows how to download the language packs for Integral. I played MGS1 for 28 minutes, so asked for a refund.

I'll consider Delta when it's reviewed, but for now, I'm going to emulate the old games instead.

Someone on the Steam forums posted this for language packs, dunno if it's what you're looking for:

Japanese: steam://install/2314210
American: steam://install/2314211

Also the same company that did these "ports" are working on Delta, so don't hold your breath. They also did the Horizon Zero Dawn port which was miserable on release on PC.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This might be a bit of a niche question, but:

Has anyone had any success with Steam Remote Play from a Linux desktop to the Deck (or, I suppose, to anything) without audio problems?

Windows switches audio output to a virtual device on the PC while it's streaming, so you don't get any audio from the host. But on Linux, it's playing audio on both host and client regardless of any options in Steam, and most annoyingly the volume buttons on the deck also jack up the volume on the host. Since the whole point of this setup for me was to play resource-heavy games on the Deck without waking anybody in the house, it...really sucked to complete a desktop build and setup only to smash right into this apparently-four-year-old issue.

Based on that link I suspect I'm pretty hosed, and once I got fed up and tried other distros had the same plays-in-both-places problem in Fedora and Pop_OS too. They at least didn't pass the volume ticks through to the host, but those distros also inevitably dumped me into emergency mode after a reboot halfway through getting everything set up, so endeavourOS is the only one so far that has been stable for me BUT has both sound problems.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone with a Linux host for remote play has it working as its supposed to: silently on the host machine. If not, I'm just going to begrudgingly go back to Windows.

EDIT: Oh, and if I could get Sunshine to work, that'd be great, but so far haven't figured out what's going wrong there either.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 24, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

I didn’t realize I could plug a keyboard in and get a plain-text linux console by pressing Ctrl+alt+F1 like any old linux PC and be able to swap back to the Steam GUI. No need to boot into desktop mode to do command liney things.

Hooray for computers.

Got a new 4k monitor and plugged the deck in. Google maps in chrome is not the snappiest thing. There’s some limitations to the hardware here…

I’m going to have to look into video players like VLC that’ll run well SteamOS mode so i can play weird old codecs and poo poo from Napster -- Boondock.Saints.720p.DIVX.DVDRip.800MB.[PR0PER]-ShitKickerZz.avi

.avi :smith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use my Ally pretty much exclusively now and booted up my Deck to update everything. Then I realized that the Deck (well, EmuDeck) is a better emulation machine than anything Windows ever came up with. Just booting right into emulated games from Steam with next to no extra work is amazing

Also SteamOS is just so much better than Windows. Except desktop mode. Thank God for big picture mode.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 24, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I got to mess around in Windows with a Lenovo Legion Go prototype. I would pick it over the ROG Ally at the same price point, if I weren't so happy with my Deck.

Controls are a bit clicky with low travel. If QC is decent it'll be fine. Instead of a second touchpad, there are some extra buttons. You can map them with software that isn't out yet and wasn't on the device. The one touchpad was fine, but without this software you couldn't click with the triggers.

The joy cons were hard to remove and attach, but felt sturdy. The whole thing has a metal case which is going to get so hot to the touch. Kickstand is solid.

FPS mode, where you use the right Joycon as a mouse, was a cool novelty. It worked as advertised with a little scroll wheel even. I like it better than trackpads for something like fine inventory clicking or shooters, but it's not not groundbreaking. Don't lose the plastic circle it rests in.

The screen was not the same panel as the final product, but it was a nice 2K IPS 144hz touch panel. 2 USB-C ports. One top one bottom.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm mad at myself because I bought it via GMG for the discount, so no refund for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

I use my Ally pretty much exclusively now and booted up my Deck to update everything. Then I realized that the Deck (well, EmuDeck) is a better emulation machine than anything Windows ever came up with. Just booting right into emulated games from Steam with next to no extra work is amazing

Also SteamOS is just so much better than Windows. Except desktop mode. Thank God for big picture mode.

The windows port of emu deck works pretty good tbh. I set it up on another windows handheld and have been happy with it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The patreon-specific thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

The patreon-specific thing?

Yeah unfortunately. I paid the $3 and it’s worth it :shrug:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Any hope for WRC working on Steam Deck?

Minimum:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Intel i5 9600K
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 Radeon RX Vega 56

Other than the “who loving knows” aspect of it fundamentally being an EA game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It should be alright from those specs but I'm considering it firmly in "who loving knows" territory right now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So with the Master Collection being a non starter (for now), what are the "best" versions of Metal Gear Solid 2/3 to emulate on the Deck? I'm sure I remember the PS2 versions being tough to run and that the PS3 or even 360 versions might give better performance.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Party Boat posted:

So with the Master Collection being a non starter (for now), what are the "best" versions of Metal Gear Solid 2/3 to emulate on the Deck? I'm sure I remember the PS2 versions being tough to run and that the PS3 or even 360 versions might give better performance.

When I tried emulating PS2 MGS3 years ago a ton of the visual effects broke if you tried running it using anything but the software renderer at native PS2 resolution. But this was years ago and maybe I was incompetent setting it up. The PS3 version of the HD collection still uses the dualshock 3’s pressure sensitive buttons fairly frequently, idk if there’s any way around that. Probably is. You’d get a nice HD widescreen UI as well

Honestly given the popularity of these games i’m sure valve will patch proton or konami will patch the game to fix it. I put no stock in Konami but even activation patched tony hawk after whining from deck players. It could happen!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think the 360 version of the HD collection emulates pretty well and the PS2 games should run good with the newer versions of PCSX2, but you will need to set up some sort of modifier or layout for the pressure sensitive things. Even as recently as last year I had issues with the HD collection but it seems to have improved quite a bit since then. I had better luck with the PS3 versions at the time but that requires using a DS3 due to pressure sensitivity and I really despise that controller.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
The PS2 version of MGS2 runs fine at ~1.5x resolution with default settings on pcsx2. You just need to map square to one of the triggers as people have mentioned, or map another button to the pressure modifier set at 15% or so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's also the Vita version of the MGS collection although I don't know how well that emulates.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Has anyone here had luck emulating vita on steam deck? Any tips?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vita emulation is what it is, and it isn't great

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Heran Bago posted:

I got to mess around in Windows with a Lenovo Legion Go prototype. I would pick it over the ROG Ally at the same price point, if I weren't so happy with my Deck.

Controls are a bit clicky with low travel. If QC is decent it'll be fine. Instead of a second touchpad, there are some extra buttons. You can map them with software that isn't out yet and wasn't on the device. The one touchpad was fine, but without this software you couldn't click with the triggers.

The joy cons were hard to remove and attach, but felt sturdy. The whole thing has a metal case which is going to get so hot to the touch. Kickstand is solid.

FPS mode, where you use the right Joycon as a mouse, was a cool novelty. It worked as advertised with a little scroll wheel even. I like it better than trackpads for something like fine inventory clicking or shooters, but it's not not groundbreaking. Don't lose the plastic circle it rests in.

The screen was not the same panel as the final product, but it was a nice 2K IPS 144hz touch panel. 2 USB-C ports. One top one bottom.

Genuinely torn between Deck and Go. The price point on a Deck without a sale vs. the Go is pretty alarming.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Squiggle posted:

This might be a bit of a niche question, but:

Has anyone had any success with Steam Remote Play from a Linux desktop to the Deck (or, I suppose, to anything) without audio problems?

Windows switches audio output to a virtual device on the PC while it's streaming, so you don't get any audio from the host. But on Linux, it's playing audio on both host and client regardless of any options in Steam, and most annoyingly the volume buttons on the deck also jack up the volume on the host. Since the whole point of this setup for me was to play resource-heavy games on the Deck without waking anybody in the house, it...really sucked to complete a desktop build and setup only to smash right into this apparently-four-year-old issue.

Based on that link I suspect I'm pretty hosed, and once I got fed up and tried other distros had the same plays-in-both-places problem in Fedora and Pop_OS too. They at least didn't pass the volume ticks through to the host, but those distros also inevitably dumped me into emergency mode after a reboot halfway through getting everything set up, so endeavourOS is the only one so far that has been stable for me BUT has both sound problems.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone with a Linux host for remote play has it working as its supposed to: silently on the host machine. If not, I'm just going to begrudgingly go back to Windows.

EDIT: Oh, and if I could get Sunshine to work, that'd be great, but so far haven't figured out what's going wrong there either.

I had the same issue on Fedora. I wound up using Sunshine + Moonlight because i couldn't figure out which pipewire/pulseaudio incantations would fix it, not to mention the stream quality and latency are much better. What's the problem you're having with Sunshine exactly? What GPU are you using?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SilkyP posted:

Has anyone here had luck emulating vita on steam deck? Any tips?

I bought a vita and it works great for vita games. Emulation is coming along but was fairly bad last time I checked it out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Genuinely torn between Deck and Go. The price point on a Deck without a sale vs. the Go is pretty alarming.

The problem with any non-deck device in this form factor will be windows and the manufacturer’s software. Windows is also the main reason to use them. If you’re cool with tinkering, the Deck is the better pick, and it’s definitely the better pick for value.

The Go will likely suffer from the same/similar problems as the Ally so look up problems with the Ally and see if you’d be cool with those issues. The Deck has basically no issues other than certain games not being supported and its processor being categorically weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

I had the same issue on Fedora. I wound up using Sunshine + Moonlight because i couldn't figure out which pipewire/pulseaudio incantations would fix it, not to mention the stream quality and latency are much better. What's the problem you're having with Sunshine exactly? What GPU are you using?

I haven't gone too deeply into setting it up, so I'm not sure how far I've got to go, but:

I've got a Geforce RTX 3080 Ti, and at the top of the Sunshine config page I've got:

code:
 Attention! Sunshine detected these errors during startup. These errors MUST be fixed before using Sunshine.
    Fatal: [av1_nvenc @ 0x556d6bf49040] Provided device doesn't support required NVENC features
    Fatal: [av1_nvenc @ 0x556d6b74dec0] Provided device doesn't support required NVENC features 
and I get no hosts in Moonlight on the deck, so I'm clearly missing something. I've got the nvidia drivers installed and working on the OS, but otherwise not sure what that could mean.
EDIT: Actually, found the log - those errors come from a run of testing for codecs, and says: "Testing for available encoders, this may generate errors. You can safely ignore those errors." //
and
"Ignore any errors mentioned above, they are not relevant."
Put that in the web UI then assholes

Okay, so then it looks like my problem is probably network/firewall related. Yaaay
EDIT WELL NEVERMIND, IT'S WORKING NOW I GUESS, not sure why this rebuild of it was the one that fixed it but yay. Now to figure out the minutiae of adding games and Moonlight

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 25, 2023