Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pete has zero friends in high school. Originally he has Flash as a bully, Liz as a girl he has the hots for, and that's the sum total of his high school social life. He starts dating Betty but that was through The Daily Bugle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Plus early Marvel happened in close to real time at the start. Peter is 15 when he gets his powers, so likely a high school sophomore and as pointed out, it's only 3 years later he graduates.

Compared to Ultimate Spider-Man, which started in 1999 and Peter is still in high school when he dies in 2011.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 23, 2023

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Gwen was also really different in character under Ditko than Romita. Kind of a Veronica Lodge type.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gwen also got retconned into the sweet innocent one after her death when she and MJ were about equal in the cattiness and party-girl departments.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Gwen was also really different in character under Ditko than Romita. Kind of a Veronica Lodge type.

Even Peter himself, once Romita takes over, is much more of a social animal than he was under Ditko.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Even Peter himself, once Romita takes over, is much more of a social animal than he was under Ditko.

He was even more of an animal once the next Romita came along.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Lobok posted:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that crop top...pete is fully in his slut era

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

"A buddy gave it to me as a gag"

Yeah, suuurrre Pete, whatever you say... :rolleyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've never seen it spelled "Mommie" before.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I wish I never had.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, based on a Tales of the TARDIS thing going "Hey, you know that impression you got between two female companions back in the 80's? Yeah, we've decided that it's canon and they're a lesbian couple.", I was just wondering. Was there ever any sort of character indication or behaviour that hinted that Bobby "Iceman" Drake of the X-Men might be gay? Beyond his close personal relationship with Hank McCoy, who has been thoroughly established as heterosexual, beyond one line that he later said was a joke. Bobby didn't have 'great loves' like Scott did with Jean, or Rogue and Gambit, or really any canon male/female pairing, the closest one I remember was I think around the late 90's when there were some hints between him and Emma Frost, but that was it. Then we do the time displaced OG Five X-Men and TD-Jean goes "Bobby, you're gay." And suddenly, Bobby's gay.

Just seems strange to me. At least when they flipped the orientation switch on Alan Scott recently, they had the lead in of him being retconned on another Earth and had aspects of his kids merged with him, one of which was his son Obsidian's homosexuality, and when stuff got re-retconned back that seemed to make him realize he had spent his life deep in the closet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, based on a Tales of the TARDIS thing going "Hey, you know that impression you got between two female companions back in the 80's? Yeah, we've decided that it's canon and they're a lesbian couple.", I was just wondering. Was there ever any sort of character indication or behaviour that hinted that Bobby "Iceman" Drake of the X-Men might be gay? Beyond his close personal relationship with Hank McCoy, who has been thoroughly established as heterosexual, beyond one line that he later said was a joke. Bobby didn't have 'great loves' like Scott did with Jean, or Rogue and Gambit, or really any canon male/female pairing, the closest one I remember was I think around the late 90's when there were some hints between him and Emma Frost, but that was it. Then we do the time displaced OG Five X-Men and TD-Jean goes "Bobby, you're gay." And suddenly, Bobby's gay.

Just seems strange to me. At least when they flipped the orientation switch on Alan Scott recently, they had the lead in of him being retconned on another Earth and had aspects of his kids merged with him, one of which was his son Obsidian's homosexuality, and when stuff got re-retconned back that seemed to make him realize he had spent his life deep in the closet.

If you listen to Scott Lobdell he planted seeds for it, but Lobdell is the kind of guy who would try to retroactively grab credit.

Bobby had several relationships with women throughout the years, none of which lasted super long which is enough for some to be proof in hindsight. Off the top of my head he had a crush on Cloud from the Defenders (who themselves was genderfluid before that term was in wide use, but Bobby was of course only into the female version), Polaris picked Havok over Bobby, a mutant named Infectia, the terribly named Opal Tanaka who was the daughter of a cyber-yakuza gang, that nurse Chuck Austen liked so much, even Mystique for a time but nothing like a Peter/MJ thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cornwind Evil posted:

I believe in an interview Bendis said* the reason he picked Bobby in particular is that wayyyy back in the original X-Men comics, he was the only one who wasn't hitting on Jean.

*However, I can't find any actual interview via googling so maybe I'm just making that up based on half-remembered goon comments at the time. I can find a podcast but I'm way too lazy to actually listen to a whole interview.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Episode 8 of Cerebrocast is about Bobby Drake, and if there's anyone who's going to tease out every single possible hint of Iceman being gay it's going to be that podcast. I might listen to it soon (I like Cerebrocast, but the episodes are sooooooo long. It's funnybecause that's refered to as a "Giant Size" episode at two and a half hours back in 2020, basically none of his episodes now are less than 3 hours and he just did 5 part series on Madelyn Pryde).

But yeah, the first issue of Uncanny X-Men has everyone else in the O-5 being excited about finally having a girl at the school and Bobby being all "girls are dumb" though I assume Lee/Kirby's intention with that originally was just highlighting that he's the youngest member, but that was also 70 years ago.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Family Guy was trying to out Iceman back in 2006. I've seen some people say they thought he came across as gay in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but that might just be people being weird about Frank Welker's Fred Jones voice.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

I believe in an interview Bendis said* the reason he picked Bobby in particular is that wayyyy back in the original X-Men comics, he was the only one who wasn't hitting on Jean.

*However, I can't find any actual interview via googling so maybe I'm just making that up based on half-remembered goon comments at the time. I can find a podcast but I'm way too lazy to actually listen to a whole interview.

I think Bobby was the youngest and was supposed to be like 14. This was the 60s too.

Edit: he was 16 and everyone else was 18 or 19. I think Bobby was supposed to be more of a kid compared to the other young adults.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, there's nothing I would have been less interested in as a 16 year old boy at a previously all boys school than an 18 year old girl.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, there's nothing I would have been less interested in as a 16 year old boy at a previously all boys school than an 18 year old girl.

It was 1963. There was a lot of "wholesome Americana nuclear family" in media back then

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Nothing overt, but he was historically just always terrible at dating.

There's a moment I still remember clearly although for the life of me I can't remember what issue or even what series it was in, or I'd get you the panel. This was when he was dating Kitty Pryde, and had been for months -- and before All-New X-Men even launched. Bobby had made a giant ice mech and Kitty was in the cockpit with him, and in a line I've literally never been able to forget, Kitty tells him that if he manages to pull off whatever improbable feat he's attempting, she'll "let [him] get to second base". And Bobby's response is "doesn't count if you're phased!" At the time when I read it, I thought the relationship was dead in the water right there. Some riveting sexual attraction you've got with your girlfriend if you haven't even groped her months after starting the relationship, buddy. That's clearly going very well.

And... basically all his relationships were like that. They were chaste as hell. The sort of thing where, after Bendis decides to make him gay, you can look back and go "yeah, dude never seemed very into actually dating women".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Air Skwirl posted:

Episode 8 of Cerebrocast is about Bobby Drake, and if there's anyone who's going to tease out every single possible hint of Iceman being gay it's going to be that podcast. I might listen to it soon (I like Cerebrocast, but the episodes are sooooooo long. It's funnybecause that's refered to as a "Giant Size" episode at two and a half hours back in 2020, basically none of his episodes now are less than 3 hours and he just did 5 part series on Madelyn Pryde).

I never listened to the Iceman episode but he's brought up the Iceman / Emma Frost body swap issue a number of times, specifically at the end where she yells at him that he'll never be able to live up to his full potential if he's lying to himself. Lobdell may be a shithead, but there's other social issues that were squashed by editorial that writers wanted to grapple with so I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to write Iceman as gay in the 90s.

Of the subject of gay subtext, does anybody remember the Angel: Revelations miniseries? I read it like maybe 10 years ago and remember very little about it, but I seem to recall a fair bit of homoerotic stuff in there. That might just be the general puberty metaphor and this cover, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was reading about Bobby and Mystique and part of it was Raven seducing Bobby so she could betray the X-Men - shock - with the Marauders for some reason or other. When it goes down, Bobby finds himself unable to use his powers properly and asks Mystique what she did to him and she says: "Neural inhibitor, Robert. In my lipstick and-- elsewhere."

Thanks, Mike Carey.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CapnAndy posted:

There's a moment I still remember clearly although for the life of me I can't remember what issue or even what series it was in, or I'd get you the panel. This was when he was dating Kitty Pryde, and had been for months -- and before All-New X-Men even launched. Bobby had made a giant ice mech and Kitty was in the cockpit with him, and in a line I've literally never been able to forget, Kitty tells him that if he manages to pull off whatever improbable feat he's attempting, she'll "let [him] get to second base". And Bobby's response is "doesn't count if you're phased!" At the time when I read it, I thought the relationship was dead in the water right there. Some riveting sexual attraction you've got with your girlfriend if you haven't even groped her months after starting the relationship, buddy. That's clearly going very well.

And... basically all his relationships were like that. They were chaste as hell. The sort of thing where, after Bendis decides to make him gay, you can look back and go "yeah, dude never seemed very into actually dating women".
That particular scene was from Wolverine & The X-Men #34.

It's also, however, like a year after All-New X-Men launched (ANX-M #14 came out the same month), though admittedly a year and a half before Young Iceman was revealed to be gay. Jason Aaron's W&tX-M was crossing over/coordinated with Bendis's books though, so it's reasonable to assume that by the time this was issue was written, Bendis's plan to 'out' Iceman (which he and his editors have said were part of his initial pitch) was something Aaron knew about.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

That particular scene was from Wolverine & The X-Men #34.

It's also, however, like a year after All-New X-Men launched (ANX-M #14 came out the same month), though admittedly a year and a half before Young Iceman was revealed to be gay. Jason Aaron's W&tX-M was crossing over/coordinated with Bendis's books though, so it's reasonable to assume that by the time this was issue was written, Bendis's plan to 'out' Iceman (which he and his editors have said were part of his initial pitch) was something Aaron knew about.
I knew you'd be able to find it.

That's genuinely interesting context, though. I guess it was just well seeded foreshadowing, then?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Has Jean ever been called out for how she outed Bobby? It was an extremely lovely thing to do

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Has Jean ever been called out for how she outed Bobby? It was an extremely lovely thing to do

I think so. Like in the next issue or something maybe?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Certainly a segment of the fans did, even some of the ones in favor.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dawgstar posted:

If you listen to Scott Lobdell he planted seeds for it, but Lobdell is the kind of guy who would try to retroactively grab credit.

Lobdell was definitely planting seeds in Rogue and Iceman's post-AOA road trip, and in Bobby's interactions with his dad (whose whole vibe is "my son is gaymutant and I can't handle it"). Nobody else really ran with it, though, until Chuck Austen, when Northstar joins the team and is instantly, "Bobby's so closeted he's in Narnia".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Lobdell was definitely planting seeds in Rogue and Iceman's post-AOA road trip, and in Bobby's interactions with his dad (whose whole vibe is "my son is gaymutant and I can't handle it"). Nobody else really ran with it, though, until Chuck Austen, when Northstar joins the team and is instantly, "Bobby's so closeted he's in Narnia".

was that before or after X2 and the "have you ever tried not being a mutant?" scene

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alaois posted:

was that before or after X2 and the "have you ever tried not being a mutant?" scene

Well before as Chuck was the writer of Uncanny when x-men came out. In fact the episode with the crucifixion was released close to opening day

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Well before as Chuck was the writer of Uncanny when x-men came out. In fact the episode with the crucifixion was released close to opening day

either chuck started writing uncanny way earlier than i thought or x-men 1 came out way later than i thought

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
The first X-men movie came out mid 2000 and the sequel(which I assume bobkatt was referring to) came out May 2003, Austen took over Uncanny X-men following Joe Casey in late 2002

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Genuinely asking, I’m actually curious on this one:

Have any writers tried to put a lesbian spin on Red Sonja? Like, I’m picturing the goddess appearing to her and giving the whole ‘blessing, etc, no man can have you and so on’ speech and Sonja just smiling at her like ‘yeah sure works for me’.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Have any writers tried to put a lesbian spin on Red Sonja? Like, I’m picturing the goddess appearing to her and giving the whole ‘blessing, etc, no man can have you and so on’ speech and Sonja just smiling at her like ‘yeah sure works for me’.

When Gail Simone wrote her, she throttled back on the 'only a man who bests me in battle can have me' but did lean into Sonja being hella bisexual.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This might be a reach but I'm trying to identify the source for a particular cartooning style that was popular in the UK in the late 80s / early 90s.

The picture above was a reader's submission to Sonic the Comic #30, published July 1994. It's pretty clearly a kid copying a specific style, and it seems oddly familiar to me and a number of other Brits around the same age. However I can't figure out where it originated from. The hooded eyes are quite Garfieldy but the bulbous, shiny noses aren't from there. The in-game designs for the characters in the first Discworld point n click adventure game are also close but the game was released after this drawing.

I've not been able to find anything online and I'm turning to the BSS hive mind in the hopes that this jogs someone else's memory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

When Gail Simone wrote her, she throttled back on the 'only a man who bests me in battle can have me' but did lean into Sonja being hella bisexual.

Even back in the day Roy Thomas had it as ambiguous as to whether the covenant was even real or her hallucinating from blood loss. (Mostly for angst when the Hot Dude of the Week turned up)

But yeah, post-Simone Sonja's been pretty regularly depicted as queer.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Party Boat posted:

This might be a reach but I'm trying to identify the source for a particular cartooning style that was popular in the UK in the late 80s / early 90s.

The picture above was a reader's submission to Sonic the Comic #30, published July 1994. It's pretty clearly a kid copying a specific style, and it seems oddly familiar to me and a number of other Brits around the same age. However I can't figure out where it originated from. The hooded eyes are quite Garfieldy but the bulbous, shiny noses aren't from there. The in-game designs for the characters in the first Discworld point n click adventure game are also close but the game was released after this drawing.

I've not been able to find anything online and I'm turning to the BSS hive mind in the hopes that this jogs someone else's memory.

It looks a lot like a knock-off Don Martin in that there are specific features (eyes, mouth sorta, bulbousness) that seem very reminiscent of his work.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Obviously not perfectly, though, and your example doesn't have the huge chins he's known for, but I remember a lot of t-shirts and what not from that era where the art was almost certainly a pastiche of specific styles.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 17, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

It also might be inspired by another Mad artist, Duck Edwing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not sure how prevalent MAD was in the UK in the early 90s though - I certainly don't recall ever seeing it, but I do recall seeing kids draw in that (or a similar) style who likely had never read MAD.

If anything, it brings to mind Amiga box-art which would also be locale and era appropriate, but I can't quite place it specifically.