Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

knox_harrington posted:

It has to do a particular mission at that range so no. I'm not sure what the considerations are, but ferry range is listed as 1100km so clearly not just a there-and-back.

Even then, the point is that ATACMS range is nominally 300km so the ka-52s have some to spare, contrary to what people were posted upthread. An attack heli with 150km range would not be much use!

You don't have to outrange helicopters to render them practically useless, though. Operating from afar severely limits your ability to conduct sorties, because the number of sorties you can fly per day is determined by the round-trip duration and the number of helicopters at your disposal.

If you increase the round-trip from (2 • 100 km)/(270 km/h) ≈ 45 min to (2 • 300 km)/(270 km/h)≈ 2 h 13 min the response time will increase from 22 min to over an hour (which is a long time when you're fired at with a tank) and either the number of sorties will be cut to a third or the loiter time will be reduced by 1 h 45 min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Warbadger posted:

Ferry range means no weapons. Weapons and ammunition add weight and drag, reducing the range. It also assumes a one way trip.

With combat range you need weapons, plus have to fly both ways - flying 150km to the front means you also need to fly 50km back. Pushing the base 50km back means adding 100km to the flight. Combat also means you probably aren't flying optimal routes/speed/altitude as they did measuring the range which will further reduce the actual range below the listed value. You also need to keep fuel in reserve so your helicopter doesn't fall out of the sky 5km from base. Taking the 460km range at face value gives the Ka-52 less than a third of a tank to do anything related to combat, and actually maneuvering for combat plus the need for a reserve will cut into what's left quickly.

Combat range means the same as combat radius, the 460km is plausible with an 1100km ferry range.

Now I don't totally believe that the Ka-52 really does 460km, but absent any other info your original point about 150km being at the limit of usability isn't really true.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Volmarias posted:

Can Hungary actually be kicked out of the EU? Or NATO?

Nope, there is no mechanism for expulsion in either organization.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Groggy nard posted:

There is a reason that russian ammo dumps are even further away than 50km from the front.

A ammo dump for arty exists in one spot long enough for US C3 to spot and program in missile coordinates and Ukraine to drive a rocket delivery truck to within launching distance. A fuel truck can ping a location to meet up with a helicopter and be gone within 15 minutes of both arriving, rarely going to the same spot twice if they feel extra paranoid. Plenty of land can temporarily accommodate a helicopter and a truck.

The reduction in time on station due to all the extra travel is likely more of an impact but it's not like there is an airport directly behind the lines along the full length of the front anyway. Helicopters flying from the place the Russian helicopters all got hit recently probably was not within 100 km of all the front they were utilised for anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While not the most preferred thing to do, field fueling a helicopter takes a fuel truck and crew, an open field and like 15 minutes.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Combat range means the same as combat radius, the 460km is plausible with an 1100km ferry range.

Now I don't totally believe that the Ka-52 really does 460km, but absent any other info your original point about 150km being at the limit of usability isn't really true.

460km is the Ka-52's listed combat range, not the combat radius. Or in other words "Practical flight range with internal fuel, km". Combat range is definitely not the same thing as combat radius and it would be absolutely insane to expect a helicopter with a 1160km ferry range to fly 940km with a full combat load and no drop tanks. If you don't want to take my word for it the Ka-52's "combat radius" as listed at your link is 250 km.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Warbadger posted:

Combat range is definitely not the same thing as combat radius

Disagree

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_action

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Your own source lists the Ka-52 combat radius as 250km.

https://odin.tradoc.army.mil/WEG/Asset/Ka-52_Alligator_
Under the "automotive" tab.
Range, Ferry 1,200 km
Range, Combat Radius 250 km

You aren't using the figures from your own source, though, but from some other source using the more commonly stated 460km combat range, which if you go back to their sources tends to be the Practical flight range with internal fuel. It's not a coincidence this distance is nearly double the "combat radius" from your linked source.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Warbadger posted:

Your own source lists the Ka-52 combat radius as 250km.

Is that more or less than 150km, and do you understand what combat range means yet?

e: this page is also stating 400km so probably safe to say "sources vary"

https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_an...sults-7429.html

e2: OK still "no" then

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 24, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Is that more or less than 150km, and do you understand what combat range means yet?

Warbadger posted:

The 470km figure is the combat range (distance it can travel combat loaded while keeping a small fuel reserve), not combat radius (distance from the airbase it could be expected to conduct combat operations). Both combat range and ferry ranges assume one way trips in this case, but the combat range is significantly shorter because it assumes carrying weapons/ammo and no additional fuel tanks meaning a lot less gas on board. So at 150km from the front you're already shaving off 300km from a 470km combat range just to get there and back. So you have a third of a tank to do stuff near the front lines. Throw in maneuvers and less-than-optimal speed while near/at the front to avoid getting shot down or to find targets and you further reduce the distance and time on target available. No matter how you look at it, pushing the base back 50km means adding 100km to every flight - which for a helicopter with a 470km range implies a substantial reduction in time spent at the front.

To make it clear, you posted a source indicating the combat radius is 250km while implying in your posting that the combat radius was 460km. I was already figuring a combat radius of 230km given the 460km figure you see posted on lots of websites (notably not the one you linked) which is generally listed as a "combat range" but comes from the "practical flight range with internal fuel", which is demonstrably not the combat radius but rather a measure of distance the helicopter can fly on internal fuel with a combat load - hence being about double the listed combat radius on your source. You are now seemingly searching for sources to back up a 400km+ combat radius but if you find one, chances are whoever wrote it just made the same mistake you did by confusing that range value with the combat radius.

And yes, we know 250km is longer than 150km. Nobody has argued against that or said the Ka-52 cannot reach the front lines from 150km behind them. People are saying the helicopter won't have much fuel or time to spend doing things at the front lines, especially accounting for real world sub-optimal conditions because it now has to fly significantly further to/from the base - certainly a lot less fuel than it did previously when flying from the closer bases, which is absolutely true.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Eh no it was you who was talking about a 150km combat radius because:

Warbadger posted:

Combat range is definitely not the same thing as combat radius

you don't know what it means.

Now as I've already said sources vary on the Ka-52 range but they are all much further than you were claiming.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Eh no it was you who was talking about a 150km combat radius because:

you don't know what it means.

Now as I've already said sources vary on the Ka-52 range but they are all much further than you were claiming.

OK,

1) Find where I said the Ka-52 has a 150km combat radius or that a base 150km behind the front lines means it cannot reach the front lines.
2) Can you explain why you posted a source claiming the Ka-52 has a 250km combat radius while your posting directly indicated the Ka-52 has a 460km combat radius?
This is just one example of you directly contradicting your linked source:

knox_harrington posted:

3) Can you explain why your source's 250km combat radius happens to be about half the 460km "combat range" stated elsewhere? Do you understand why the combat radius being half the combat range or "practical flight range with internal fuel" is significant?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Warbadger posted:

Good luck with that. Moving Ka-52 bases out to 150km from the front means moving them to the edge of their combat range. They could make the flight there and back, but they wouldn't have much time on station.

^ this is you talking about the combat range.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 24, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

^ this is you talking about the combat range.

Yeah, I know. Now go to the "automotive" tab and tell me what you find there.

You've qouted the post where I explicitly state "They could make the flight there and back, but they wouldn't have much time on station." At no point in this post do I state the combat radius of the helicopter, nor do I indicate it cannot reach the front lines. I correctly indicate it can make a flight there and back, and that it wouldn't have much time on station which I think pretty accurately describes the problem!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Why were you moaning about it not being on that page then?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

War in Ukraine: Do you know how far an alligator can strike? The pedantic answer may surprise you!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Assuming the ~1200km ferry range number is roughly accurate, be inclined to go with the ~250km estimate for combat radius, keeping in mind that a “combat radius” is an extremely flexible term. Weather conditions and the combat load can dramatically impact both theoretical (range vs fuel load) and practical (once you go around artillery firing areas, avoid the weather, and maneuver to avoid known enemy air defense assets) range, but you also don’t always have to go with a WWIII weapon load to be effective. We’ve already seen Ka-52s at or near the battlefield (including a shoot-down or two) carrying external tanks on the inboard pylons. There is also the unconfirmed reports that the -52 isn’t particularly happy with a full combat load, and that they were encountering significant harmonic vibration issues when they were loaded for bear.

TLDR: Don’t take a combat radius number as anything more than a very vague estimate; There are far too many variables at play.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Why were you moaning about it not being on that page then?

So your response is that you know the source you posted directly contradicts itself and that you have chosen to use the outlier value that appears in the body of text generally describing the helicopter rather than the significantly smaller value that appears in the "combat radius" data field where they list its technical specifications? That is not a good thing.

Edit: This has gone on long enough and I think the points have been made.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 24, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Warbadger posted:

I correctly indicate it can make a flight there and back, and that it wouldn't have much time on station

at 150km instead of 250km it would have like 200km worth of additional endurance so, still no.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
JFC , take the slap fight to PM's or start hate fuckin each other already.

Separate from all that discussion which went from interesting to pedantic, have there been other war updates?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
let's not turn this place into War Thunder Forum v2

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

let's not turn this place into War Thunder Forum v2

Right, if you have classified specs of the Ka-52, please send them to the CIA and HUR directly, they probably aren't monitoring here, unlike war thunder forums...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

JFC , take the slap fight to PM's or start hate fuckin each other already.

Yes

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1716520887871037862

Full thread unrolled:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1716520887871037862.html

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Drone takes out giant Russian flag near Avdiivka:

https://twitter.com/sternenko/status/1716866878491009440?t=fPGXqW0gmxNzIgIh4O5aLA&s=19

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
That looks like the surface of the moon, is the landscape really that razed? :(

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

I think that's the waste heap near Avdiivka they're fighting over ATM

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Honj Steak posted:

South of the city there's a massive slag heap from ore processing.

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/23106

quote:

In 2016 I traveled up and down this frontline and wrote a piece about the so-called “Gray Zone,” the strip of 15 to 20 kilometers wide no-man’s land that ran for more than 200 kilometers, separating territory controlled by Kyiv on one side and Moscow-backed separatists on the other.

While driving through and around Avdiivka, often over circuitous routes to avoid the sporadic shelling, all roads seemed to overlook the Avdiivka Coke and Chemical Plant spewing smoke into the sky. Adjacent to the factory was the huge slag heap, known as Terrikon. The coke plant, built in 1963 to fulfil the needs of Mariupol’s steel mills some 140 kilometers away, is the largest in Europe. Coke, a solid fuel made by heating coal in the absence of air so that the volatile components are driven off, is needed for smelting iron ore to make steel. The plant also produces benzine, coal tar, coal oil, ammonium sulphate and coke gas.

I’d never seen a slag heap (also known as a “spoil tip”) before coming to the Donbas, which is full of them. Even the name, Terrikon, has infernal overtones. Driving around the city, Terrikon looms over the horizon, rising slightly above the steppe beyond the chemical plant like a greyish black, ancient Scythian kurgan, or burial mound. I tried to imagine how toxic it must be.

From time to time the Russians hit the plant with artillery, the most recent strike being on on Sept. 28.

Like the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol, the coke plant was a monument to Soviet industrial glory, and then to post-Soviet oligarchic murk. Both are owned by Ukraine’s richest man, Rinat Akhmetov. Both are quintessentially Donbas.

Today the Russians are feeding thousands of troops and armored vehicles into a wall of fire in a desperate effort to take Terrikon, from whose heights they can control Avdiivka. It’s become a high-caliber king-of-the-hill battle for a toxic hell realm – literally a massive pile of industrial waste.

When I look at the Terrikon my broken brain starts thinking how to conquer it in different types of wargames :dumb:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 24, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Looks better than that video of a Russian soldier surrendering near Bakhmut earlier this year, which was right out of the Western Front in WW1.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

South of the city there's a massive slag heap from ore processing.

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/23106

gently caress that's bleak. Catch a drone to the face and end it quickly or "win" and deal with turbo-rear end-cancer and heavy metal poisoning later on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bird food bathtub posted:

gently caress that's bleak. Catch a drone to the face and end it quickly or "win" and deal with turbo-rear end-cancer and heavy metal poisoning later on.

Even the name is like something from a bad scifi movie.

:clint: "We're going to the Terrorcon, man. No one has returned from the Terrorcon alive... or sane."

edit: and in case it wasn't clear, this is a very important location because the region is very flat like usual, so the mound offers an advantageous point of observation and defense over the surroundings. That sort of thing draws artillery fires.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So they are fighting a literal king of the hill game for a mountain of toxic dirt? And if one side actually claims it then wouldn't it just get pounded to (toxic) dust by artillery?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Don't worry, I'm sure they haven't learned their lesson from Chernobyl and will begin digging in.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Charliegrs posted:

So they are fighting a literal king of the hill game for a mountain of toxic dirt? And if one side actually claims it then wouldn't it just get pounded to (toxic) dust by artillery?

it's lovely Monte Cassino

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

unfortunately both sides are gonna be forced to dig into it regardless of the health risk. it just dominates the area.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
B-52 pilots see terrain like that and just moan softly...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charliegrs posted:

Yup pretty much.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Even the name is like something from a bad scifi movie.

:clint: "We're going to the Terrorcon, man. No one has returned from the Terrorcon alive... or sane."

While metal as hell, terrikon is a generic soviet term for large artificial mounds, usually dense garbage dumps.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

While metal as hell, terrikon is a generic soviet term for large artificial mounds, usually dense garbage dumps.

A good illustration of Soviet environmental record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The actual coke plant next to looks fairly defensible, a bit like the actual Azovstal Steel Works on a smaller scale.