Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

It's incredible how consistently full of poo poo Israel is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

But Bloodlands and On Tyranny are good books,

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

VoicesCanBe posted:

That's exactly what it is, Israel is entirely reacting with fascist bloodlust. Within like a day they were bombing Hezbollah and Syria for no discernable reason. They've now resorted to bombing -yes, bombing - the West Bank, which has no Hamas presence. Israel is utterly hysterical and reacting like a feral monster.

The phrase in that thread I posted yesterday is apt: strategic paralysis. The US is in a similar position where they have no idea how to handle the situation.

weird how the neolib armies don't want do anything more dangerous than riskfree colonial policemen duty

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hammerstein posted:

But Bloodlands

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

http://www.readmarxeveryday.org/bloodlies/

https://jewishcurrents.org/the-double-genocide-theory

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's incredible how consistently full of poo poo Israel is.

They have been full of poo poo forever but yes you must take them at their word wrt the genocide they are doing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://x.com/blackredguard1/status/1715928880328872322?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Death By The Blues posted:

Zionist settlements getting rocked everywhere currently. Pretty significant missile barrage

and every one fired depletes the expensive and short stock of iron dome that much more.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

again all the poo poo about Van Riper in the Millennium Challenge was about how he was cheating as an attempt to invalidate the result that he obtained, without making mention that the "blue" side he was fighting was also fighting with planes and ships and missiles that didn't exist and couldn't possibly exist either, like laser cannons and railguns and an F-35 that could fly

everything about it is so great.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i never read the millenium challenge becuase i'm not that huge of a nerd I just know the pop culture summary which is that america got owned. that's all i need or care to know because gently caress the US

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

VoicesCanBe posted:

That's exactly what it is, Israel is entirely reacting with fascist bloodlust. Within like a day they were bombing Hezbollah and Syria for no discernable reason. They've now resorted to bombing -yes, bombing - the West Bank, which has no Hamas presence. Israel is utterly hysterical and reacting like a feral monster.

The phrase in that thread I posted yesterday is apt: strategic paralysis. The US is in a similar position where they have no idea how to handle the situation.

idk if you're saying this, but i don't think we should just say israel as crazy with bloodlust.

it is a settler-colonial state where the in-group is a minority. they need to project superiority if not supremacy and having no good strategic options is probably making them overcompensate and bomb everything

there's also bibi's position in the internal israeli politics and the different political factions he's beholden to to keep him out of jail like the super religious guys

it's all very understandable tho still stupid. basically, i'm trying to say that so many seemingly irrational national decisions can be understood when you look at who's sitting at the levers of power and how those levers of power are connected to the political machinery

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

looks like 99% military aged humans

I dont know if you're implying I'm OK with civilian deaths, I'm absolutely not. It's just evidence the baby headless story isn't true.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
:smith:

Looks like I might have to re-read Bloodlands and do a citation check. Once again a Euro got tricked by America...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
or use it for heating

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Timothy Snyder's entire output is propaganda to make double genocide theory palatable for western libs.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

idk if you're saying this, but i don't think we should just say israel as crazy with bloodlust.

it is a settler-colonial state where the in-group is a minority. they need to project superiority if not supremacy and having no good strategic options is probably making them overcompensate and bomb everything

there's also bibi's position in the internal israeli politics and the different political factions he's beholden to to keep him out of jail like the super religious guys

it's all very understandable tho still stupid. basically, i'm trying to say that so many seemingly irrational national decisions can be understood when you look at who's sitting at the levers of power and how those levers of power are connected to the political machinery

making that work on top of an military filled to the brim with cowards for all sorts of reasons

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

again all the poo poo about Van Riper in the Millennium Challenge was about how he was cheating as an attempt to invalidate the result that he obtained, without making mention that the "blue" side he was fighting was also fighting with planes and ships and missiles that didn't exist and couldn't possibly exist either, like laser cannons and railguns and an F-35 that could fly

lol

Also do you have anything about this? I remember the longass article from a few years back that ripped into Van Riper and mentioned the bikes and stuff but I don't remember much about Blue Team cheating (besides the obvious restarting stuff).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chucat posted:

lol

Also do you have anything about this? I remember the longass article from a few years back that ripped into Van Riper and mentioned the bikes and stuff but I don't remember much about Blue Team cheating (besides the obvious restarting stuff).

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/millenium-challenge-2002-stacked-deck/

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Hammerstein posted:

Looks like I might have to re-read Bloodlands and do a citation check. Once again a Euro got tricked by America...

lol seeing anyone on the forums cite snyder favourably is pretty jarring, im so used to seeing him torn to shreds in the ukraine thread

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Road to Unfreedom can be an interesting read, if you are mentally prepared and take everything with not just a grain, but a giant sack, of salt.

But Bloodlands and On Tyranny are good books, so I can't bring myself to wholly condemn the man, despite his later works.

Haven't read them but isn't the whole space and time restriction for Bloodlands arbitrarily selected to run an equivalence between Hitler and the USSR and imply that the violence of the second caused the first?
Edit: Lmao, beaten like an IDF general in his underwear

genericnick has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Oct 24, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

wait really? i always got the impression it was real carrier groups and lhds/lhas and the bullshit part was the networked cyber warfighting bullshit. lol at new stuff everytime this comes up

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hammerstein posted:

Road to Unfreedom can be an interesting read, if you are mentally prepared and take everything with not just a grain, but a giant sack, of salt.

But Bloodlands and On Tyranny are good books, so I can't bring myself to wholly condemn the man, despite his later works.

Bloodlands is very much not a good book, sorry

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Thank you, this is pretty good.

Also it's amazing this part never really got mentioned.

quote:

That depends. Van Riper knew Red Team couldn't compete against the Blue Team's technological advantages, both real and experimental, so he fought as an insurgency. Even with the constraints put on the Red team, Blue Team couldn't complete all their goals while dealing with Van Riper's asymmetric assault though they destroyed much of Red's warfighting capabilities, their regime was preserved and survived in the end.

This is probably the most important takeaway of MC02 that no one talks about : When completely unfettered, Red destroyed a fleet in 20 minutes, but when reigning in the enemy Reds and fighting with a stacked deck, Blue still couldn't complete all their objectives.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hammerstein posted:

well, you aren't alone but yeah... it's so bad it won the hannah arendt prize for political thought https://history.yale.edu/news/timothy-snyder-has-been-awarded-2013-hannah-arendt-prize-political-thought

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://x.com/thevenusdarling/status/1716721058450206946?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Signing up with Hamas to make friends in your 30s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

Haven't read them but isn't the whole space and time restriction for Bloodlands arbitrarily selected to run an equivalence between Hitler and the USSR and imply that the violence of the second caused the first?

yes, Tim Snyder's academic specialty is the Double Genocide myth, where Stalin is Just As Bad as Hitler

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes, Tim Snyder's academic specialty is the Double Genocide myth, where Stalin is Just As Bad as Hitler

and its corollary, "and thus the Eastern Europeans who collaborated with the Nazis were justified or excusable because they were fighting an equally great if not greater evil"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Someone post the section in bloodlands where it claims that antisemitism during the Holocaust was driven by greedy Jews hoarding wealth.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

For every Hitler there must be an equal and opposite antiHitler

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

turns out that al-saqr's description of middle eastern armies being absolutely incompetent at anything other than terrorizing helpless civilians also applies to the idf

the hostage in question was mostly pissed at the swedish government in general and the cops in particular because they literally told her that they didn't give a poo poo whether she lived or died, and the dude who coined the term was working for the cops and made the whole thing up as a whitewash for police callousness

the head of the country called her on the phone in the hostage situation and told her that dying at her post was a great patriotic way to go out lol. serves him right getting assassinated later on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 2 of "Armies of Sand"

I am omitting most of this chapter because most of it talks about the Soviet way of war - it's a good treatise on it, but not really the focus of what I'm trying to share with the thread. Get the book if you're interested~!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

genericnick posted:

I honestly can't remember, cause it's years ago that I read it. Most of my WW2 books like Overy, Glantz and Tooze are about warfare, and in case of Tooze about the economy. And the majority of my Holocaust books are novels and not academic books, while books like Felix Römer's Kommissarbefehl deal with other aspects.

God drat, bad enough that Snyder has somehow lodged himself as "good" in my brain. Time to purge.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

So there weren't even forty children let alone forty babies huh

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/m7mdkurd/status/1716801601409610018?t=VQCkWfdc4ecNt5112DEOpw&s=19

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Snyder is one of the reasons Nazis have been getting a whitewashing in recent years.

TerranRaida
Feb 3, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

there was a simulation of a war with Iran in like 2000 and the results were that the US got completely owned until they kept tweaking the rules of the simulation to make the US win

The 2002 Millennium Challenge. It cost 250 million USD and the commanding Marine Corps 3 star General Van Riper said that it was rigged to enforce the doctrine rather than serve as a learning tool

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I guess you saved me the embarrassment of ever citing Snyder in an academic space or among scholars. Looks like I have a lot of additional reading to do this winter, dodged a bullet there.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

hadji murad posted:

Snyder is one of the reasons Nazis have been getting a whitewashing in recent years.

Him and Anne Applaebaum. Both repugnant fake academics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cuttlefush posted:

millenium challenge? van riper was hacking. also iirc a lot of that "just reset and refloat the ships" was so certain things could get practice even if they'd always get blown up right away in that scenario. they weren't changing the rules just because they didn't want to accept that a bunch of speed boats with ftl carrier pigeons sank their battleships.

absolute respect for van riper's metagame though

Iirc there was also no way the fishing boats could have carried and launched the missiles that were larger than the boats.