Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Really funny that after having kids Kondo says she doesn't tidy up anymore because she's tired and CBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sebzilla posted:

Isn't that when everyone got weirdly into Marie Kondo a few years back?

The inscrutable eastern art of putting poo poo in drawers.

big fan of marie kondo having kids and immediately giving up on tidying

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sir Piece of :nexus: being duplicitous again:

https://x.com/fatimazsaid/status/1716582980745879647?s=20

For those who can't see Xtwits:

Fatima
@fatimazsaid
I spoke directly with South Wales Islamic Centre and can confirm this account.
Keir Starmer completely misrepresented the visit and the discussion he had with the mosque. The mosque feels exploited and used by the Labour Party and this has caused… 🧵
(another tweet included in this one).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 24, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Behold our next leader!!! :ughh:

As the Russian saying goes: "...and then it got worse...".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking which just realised we're at 200 covid deaths a week https://ukhsa-dashboard.data.gov.uk/

Friendly reminder to take care of yourselves and get vaccinated if you can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While starmer is a windsock for the most part I think it's pretty telling why he so desperately wants to side with the security state that claims it can protect people from the consequences of the wrongs it perpetrates.

A staggering lack of political perspective given every other loving time this happens throughout history. The walls don't work, the armies don't work, the intelligence bullshit doesn't work. But he can't contemplate any alternative. They have pointedly not-worked for the UK in living memory but he just can't loving comprehend it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Behold our next leader!!! :ughh:

As the Russian saying goes: "...and then it got worse...".

Yep. This is why the whole GTTO thing bothers me. Having been present at a revolution (where all emphasis was on getting rid of the regime) subsequent proliferation of over 130 political parties - almost all single issue - with no joined up plan for 'now what' and seen the whole thing end up with something arguably worse..

Just had to dig this poem up with the immortal line And always keep a-hold of Nurse
For fear of finding something worse. (By Hilaire Belloc)

Jim
There was a Boy whose name was Jim;
His Friends were very good to him.
They gave him Tea, and Cakes, and Jam,
And slices of delicious Ham,
And Chocolate with pink inside
And little Tricycles to ride,
And read him Stories through and through,
And even took him to the Zoo—
But there it was the dreadful Fate
Befell him, which I now relate.

You know—or at least you ought to know,
For I have often told you so—
That Children never are allowed
To leave their Nurses in a Crowd;
Now this was Jim's especial Foible,
He ran away when he was able,
And on this inauspicious day
He slipped his hand and ran away!

He hadn't gone a yard when—Bang!
With open Jaws, a lion sprang,
And hungrily began to eat
The Boy: beginning at his feet.
Now, just imagine how it feels
When first your toes and then your heels,
And then by gradual degrees,
Your shins and ankles, calves and knees,
Are slowly eaten, bit by bit.
No wonder Jim detested it!
No wonder that he shouted ``Hi!''

The Honest Keeper heard his cry,
Though very fat he almost ran
To help the little gentleman.
``Ponto!'' he ordered as he came
(For Ponto was the Lion's name),
``Ponto!'' he cried, with angry Frown,
``Let go, Sir! Down, Sir! Put it down!''
The Lion made a sudden stop,
He let the Dainty Morsel drop,
And slunk reluctant to his Cage,
Snarling with Disappointed Rage.
But when he bent him over Jim,
The Honest Keeper's Eyes were dim.
The Lion having reached his Head,
The Miserable Boy was dead!

When Nurse informed his Parents, they
Were more Concerned than I can say:—
His Mother, as She dried her eyes,
Said, ``Well—it gives me no surprise,
He would not do as he was told!''
His Father, who was self-controlled,
Bade all the children round attend
To James's miserable end,
And always keep a-hold of Nurse
For fear of finding something worse.

(I'm sure someone ITT can adapt it to Kieth)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 24, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I'm sure someone ITT can adapt it to Kieth)
There was a Boy whose name was Keir;
A lion et him,
It was funny

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

My poor taste jokes aside it really is disgusting how far we have come from saying "never again."
Most people seem to think - in the spirit of conflating Judaism with Israel - that it couldn't possibly be a genocide, because they had a genocide done to them, so they know what it's like, so they would never do that, so it must be sparkling self-defence.

But I honestly think there are some people in the press who's underlying reasoning is that they had a genocide done to them, so maybe they should be allowed to do one (1) genocide, just to be fair."

*quietly* Lynn, these are woke people!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
keith starmer
donkey farmer
wanted to be PM but he was no charmer

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Most people seem to think - in the spirit of conflating Judaism with Israel - that it couldn't possibly be a genocide, because they had a genocide done to them, so they know what it's like, so they would never do that, so it must be sparkling self-defence.

But I honestly think there are some people in the press who's underlying reasoning is that they had a genocide done to them, so maybe they should be allowed to do one (1) genocide, just to be fair.

I wonder how those people would feel if the Indian Army came for revenge for Amritsar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think ethnic cleansing makes most sense as a term when the primary purpose appears to be expelling/relocating an ethnic group, and genocide makes most sense when the primary purpose appears to be exterminating them. In this case, the indiscriminate nature of Israel's attacks and their obvious disinterest in creating evacuation corridors to help Gazans flee their homes makes it fairly clear that is a genocide poorly disguised as ethnic cleansing - and the fact that Israel apparently views the forced relocation of two million people as the 'reasonable' option they should pretend to be interested in is itself pretty horrifying.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I wonder how those people would feel if the Indian Army came for revenge for Amritsar.
In the spirit of fascism preferring to find some other poor sods to take it out on, that's what a lot of Sikhs and Muslims are worried about.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Come, indian bombs, etc.

E: on slough obviously, with the context of that last post.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rishi Sunak handing the country over to Modi, but not in a woke apology for colonialism way, but in a turbofash handshake to crush the Sikhs and Muslim way.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm kind of hoping, perhaps naively, that Israel is overplaying its hand here. They've been able to get away with heinous poo poo for decades because they've had a sympathetic media willing to edit events in a way that helps hide the scale of their brutality. They still do, of course, but the level of violence they're now directing at Gaza is almost impossible to disguise, and public opinion in their ally states is turning fast. Afaict your average Joe was relatively sympathetic after hamas invaded, but outside of a few dyed in the wool ultrazionists and insane right-wingers almost nobody now thinks their response is proportional. Even people I know personally who were generally apathetic or vaguely pro-Israel are now going :stare: at what is happening. If that keeps up, and politicians realise they're tanking their popularity by uncritically cheering it on, the dam will have to give, and realistically a few very stern behind the scenes warnings from countries like the USA could reign them in. It's not a solution, and piles of harm has already been done, but there's at least a small chance Israel is forced to at least take its foot off the gas before it accomplishes the total destruction it clearly wants. I hope so, at least.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 24, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm kind of hoping, perhaps naively, that Israel is overplaying its hand here. They've been able to get away with heinous poo poo for decades because they've had a sympathetic media willing to edit events in a way that helps hide the scale of their brutality. They still do, of course, but the level of violence they're now directing at Gaza is almost impossible to disguise, and public opinion in their ally states is turning fast. Afaict your average Joe was relatively sympathetic after hamas invaded, but outside of a few dyed in the wool ultrazionists and insane right-wingers almost nobody now thinks their response is proportional. Even people I know personally who were generally apathetic or vaguely pro-Israel are now going :stare: at what is happening. If that keeps up, and politicians realise they're tanking their popularity by uncritically cheering it on, the dam will have to give, and realistically a few very stern behind the scenes warnings from countries like the USA could reign them in. It's not a solution, and piles of harm has already been done, but there's at least a small chance Israel is forced to at least take its foot off the gas before it accomplishes the total destruction it clearly wants. I hope so, at least.

Certainly, if they get conclusive evidence that they do not actually have the practical capacity to destroy Hamas and completely exterminate the Gazans after a strike this wounding, then domestic Israeli policies could start getting very, very interesting. They've invested a great deal in being an international settler project with a pacified native population, and if Hamas and Hezbollah can succeed in making Israel an unattractive place to move to and invest in, that may end up being one of the few potentially effective brakes on apartheid just as the Angolan Bush War and the sanctions campaign were for South Africa. Not a cheerful thought to go 'actually, maybe vicious acts of terrorism that cannot be adequately addressed by the security state work', but their historical success rate is non-zero, and it's not like any of the nicer, more ethical means of applying pressure have borne any serious fruit so far.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Small "victories", if you can call them that. Turns out Sky got enough complaints about Kay Burley being absolutely shite two weeks ago. Glad I added mine to the pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFYLd6YVXg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good stuff. Pity we won't get one from Dick Madely asking if that Palestinian-British MP had any tip-off from her fellow People-of-Terror about the initial attack.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Saville being a bit ungrateful towards starmer there.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Certainly, if they get conclusive evidence that they do not actually have the practical capacity to destroy Hamas and completely exterminate the Gazans after a strike this wounding, then domestic Israeli policies could start getting very, very interesting. They've invested a great deal in being an international settler project with a pacified native population, and if Hamas and Hezbollah can succeed in making Israel an unattractive place to move to and invest in, that may end up being one of the few potentially effective brakes on apartheid just as the Angolan Bush War and the sanctions campaign were for South Africa. Not a cheerful thought to go 'actually, maybe vicious acts of terrorism that cannot be adequately addressed by the security state work', but their historical success rate is non-zero, and it's not like any of the nicer, more ethical means of applying pressure have borne any serious fruit so far.

Yes, there are a couple of very long, but good, threads on Twitter about the strategy here (maybe they've already been posted in here? All this stuff blurs together), and basically the idea is that the fundamental core concept of Israel is that it is the place where Jews are safe, and now it's the place where over a thousand were killed. So this insane overreaction is required in order to try and prop up, Weekend at Bernies-style, the corpse of this national core idea. But it is now absolutely clear that the idea that the Palestinians can be kept imprisoned and pacified forever is a fantasy so the only idea they have left is simply to finally remove the Palestinians entirely. But this would cause a colossal regional war, and even the US and Europe wouldn't be terribly keen. Also, the IDF has spent decades just dropping bombs and letting off sniper shots from afar, not actual real combat, so even if they succeed at a full-scale invasion they will likely take terrible casualties, again damaging the concept of Jews being safe there. So this is why the invasion - which they gave a 24 hour notice of, remember - keeps getting delayed. They are paralysed, with dropping bombs the only move they can accept.

Also, in unexpected news, Femi is a comrade?!

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1716743801169973525

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally non-white Brits are somewhat less likely to be complicit in Apartheid apologia. Just because the Badenochs and Bravermans and Sunaks and Patels in the Tory party are quisling fuckheads doesn't make them representative of people who are well aware of which side of the Apartheid fence they'd be placed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, just saw a rack of newspapers in the supermarket and it was quite bizarre to see the frothing hatred being directed against supporters of Palestine. Like, what's really going on here? Why does this narrative have to be pushed so fiercely and so hysterically?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, just saw a rack of newspapers in the supermarket and it was quite bizarre to see the frothing hatred being directed against supporters of Palestine. Like, what's really going on here? Why does this narrative have to be pushed so fiercely and so hysterically?

An extension of Corbyn Derangement Syndrome, as well as other things

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sebzilla posted:

Long Corbyn has be debilitating to UK journalism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said, there's a certain kind of political security state brain that will naturally identify with the Israeli position, which is significant in how it colours the government's position. And also there's a pretty big "god I wish we could carpet bomb the undesirables" element that a lot of just lovely racists will identify with.

The contrary position requires either basic historical literacy and/or an ability to imagine that you could possibly be the one carpet bombed and what that might be like, and a lot of people are completely missing the former and are so utterly divorced from the latter that they envision it as the ideal state for the country because the blitz spirit made everything better.

Frankly it's astonishing that there is much popular support for Palestine at all in the UK.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yes, there are a couple of very long, but good, threads on Twitter about the strategy here (maybe they've already been posted in here? All this stuff blurs together), and basically the idea is that the fundamental core concept of Israel is that it is the place where Jews are safe, and now it's the place where over a thousand were killed. So this insane overreaction is required in order to try and prop up, Weekend at Bernies-style, the corpse of this national core idea. But it is now absolutely clear that the idea that the Palestinians can be kept imprisoned and pacified forever is a fantasy so the only idea they have left is simply to finally remove the Palestinians entirely. But this would cause a colossal regional war, and even the US and Europe wouldn't be terribly keen. Also, the IDF has spent decades just dropping bombs and letting off sniper shots from afar, not actual real combat, so even if they succeed at a full-scale invasion they will likely take terrible casualties, again damaging the concept of Jews being safe there. So this is why the invasion - which they gave a 24 hour notice of, remember - keeps getting delayed. They are paralysed, with dropping bombs the only move they can accept.

Also, in unexpected news, Femi is a comrade?!

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1716743801169973525

Couple of things:

There seems to me to be a total cognitive dissonance between Israel being a safe place for Jews (recall after the Charlie Hebdo stuff, Bibi claiming Jews should move to Israel to be safe) yet the incessant demand from Israel for weapons from US / UK and probably a few more places, plus openly carrying guns etc. I don't know who would feel safe in an environment where everyone is armed to the teeth.

Re the Femi tweet - I've seen a few comments around twitter & reddit about 'West Bank is peaceful and they don't have hamas' which considering what happens to Palestinians in the West Bank isn't what I would call 'peace', more a sort of "passive acceptance" that there is little to be done while living under essentially martial law & when a kid chucking stones at a tank or even just minding its own business can be just shot dead.

(I had another point but I've forgotten what it was now.)

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the Israeli govt knew full well that hamas were planning their op especially given that they were warned by both Egypt & Turkey, and deliberately chose to do nothing about it because it would give them the excuse to do what they are doing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The thing I’m finding frustrating whenever I talk to anyone about the whole thing is, once they’ve been presented with Israel’s crimes against the Palestinian people and the relative lack of power the latter have to fight back, and seem to begin to understand that this is oppressor vs oppressed, not a war between peers, they revert back to ‘its complicated’. Or ‘nuanced’. And yes everything to do with humans is complicated, but I don’t actually think this whole thing is that complicated. A bunch of Europeans decided to ethnically cleanse an area so they could live there, and continue to imprison, oppress, ethnically cleanse and now genocide the natives. The natives fight back, sometimes in ways that result in dead civilians. It genuinely doesn’t seem that complicated to me.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's been interesting to see the online analysis about how Israel desperately needs to re-establish deterrence but isn't willing to take the casualties that would involve and quite possibly doesn't have the capability anyway. So they're dropping bombs 'cos that's all they know how to do and waiting for something to come up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jakabite posted:

The thing I’m finding frustrating whenever I talk to anyone about the whole thing is, once they’ve been presented with Israel’s crimes against the Palestinian people and the relative lack of power the latter have to fight back, and seem to begin to understand that this is oppressor vs oppressed, not a war between peers, they revert back to ‘its complicated’. Or ‘nuanced’. And yes everything to do with humans is complicated, but I don’t actually think this whole thing is that complicated. A bunch of Europeans decided to ethnically cleanse an area so they could live there, and continue to imprison, oppress, ethnically cleanse and now genocide the natives. The natives fight back, sometimes in ways that result in dead civilians. It genuinely doesn’t seem that complicated to me.

I've seen (especially American) friends make comments such as "There are reasons" whenever Israel goes on one of its periodical 'grass mowing' assaults on Gaza.
Normal, nice people who are good comrades in so many ways, and I think I may have posted before - many people who aren't really paying attention honestly believe that Palestinians were murdering Israelis in '000s every year over the past couple of decades.

I recall the incident of 'the three teenagers' in 2014 and supposedly the spark for that incursion: 3 Israeli teens were murdered by someone with tenuous links to hamas & it was front page news all across the Western media. What was not reported except in a tiny paragraph at the bottom of page 93 (can't remember what exactly) of the Graun was the murder of two Palestinian teens on the way home from school by IDF soldiers - caught on video - 5 weeks BEFORE the 3 teens & noone gave a fig.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Yeah I remember "more Palestine flags than British flags at Labour conference, Corbyn prefers Palestine to Britain" landing a blow that most of the risible "he once spoke at an event and then a holocaust denier spoke the day after next door" claims didn't, and briefly thought at the time if that tactic works against him it could end up with Labour draped in Union Flags and cheering war crimes as a knee jerk "undoing".

Tesseraction posted:

Rishi Sunak handing the country over to Modi, but not in a woke apology for colonialism way, but in a turbofash handshake to crush the Sikhs and Muslim way.
One of the more worrying side effects about the hyperconnected world is you don't even need that level of organized malice for a bunch of hardline Hindutva memelord poo poo to end up in some Leicester whatsapp groups and then turn into street fights and threats to burn mosques, so it's more like the worry of the alt-right 'meme wars' in America turning into the Christchurch shooter in New Zealand.

And because Hindutva as a nationalist power project feels little need to bother explaining itself outside of India, the initial local authority reaction was to treat the whole thing as mysterious 'cultural' issues, which has a real risk of having it develop into stochastic terrorism.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

You'd think that....and yet....

So last week Paddy McGuinness, a polarising Irish figure who was the founder of the Web Sumit. A global meet up for the big tech companies.
On the one hand he is a person who has been very critical of the Irish Government and has tried to sue powerful people.
On the other, he strikes me as a tech bro, who wants Libertarian like self regulation of the tech industry and he basically moved the Web summit from Ireland to Portugal purely because he got a better deal.

But last week he gave a fairly Irish view of the Israel/Palestine conflict (basically, don't do war crimes Israel.)

The response has been every big tech company pulled out of the Web Sumit, even after he apologised.

Basically, Israel has a lot of powerful allies willing to stand up against controversial statements like "don't do war crimes."

Paddy Cosgrave resigns as Web Summit CEO amid controversy over Israel comments

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jakabite posted:

I think it's often worth separating actions from context.

This conflict is in many ways centuries old. The context is definitely complicated. However you can still consider whether actions taken within that context are right or wrong.

I think most people would agree there are a bunch of morally reprehensible things happening. You can seek to understand or explain why they are happening within context but that will often be considered, rightly or wrongly, as trying to justify them.

In my view if you can agree on the morality of the actions themselves it's better to stop with that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The tech companies must have forgotten to set their woke left wing dials that day.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Is this mild criticism what we're calling a rinsing now? "He's politically adept at the expense of real conversations?" is now something that causes a stir?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

I think it's often worth separating actions from context.

This conflict is in many ways centuries old. The context is definitely complicated. However you can still consider whether actions taken within that context are right or wrong.

I think most people would agree there are a bunch of morally reprehensible things happening. You can seek to understand or explain why they are happening within context but that will often be considered, rightly or wrongly, as trying to justify them.

In my view if you can agree on the morality of the actions themselves it's better to stop with that.

See I don’t think this is some ancient conflict as Zionists like to portray. It’s a direct war of resistance against a settler colonialist state that started to coalesce in 1908 and was formed properly in 1948 with the extremely violent expulsion of the native people. People can harp on all they like about ancestral homelands or whatever but it’s all just muddying of the waters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

You'd think that....and yet....

So last week Paddy McGuinness, a polarising Irish figure who was the founder of the Web Sumit.

He's had a diverse career, from Peter Kay to Take Me Out to...tech media entrepeneur? Also becoming Irish in the process, fair play.

But...to x-post myself from IRLPOL

Failed Imagineer posted:

Cosgrave got shitpiled for coming out with his first ever good opinion. It's very post-9/11 out there right now. gently caress the cunts, Free Palestine

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1716798536946180281

:toot:

Bless them. The bankers have been having such a hard time lately

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's had a diverse career, from Peter Kay to Take Me Out to...tech media entrepeneur? Also becoming Irish in the process, fair play.

I was vaguely wondering about this myself... "I thought that guy was on phoenix nights..?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also being fair while he was born in Lancashire both his parents were from County Tipperary so he's Irish if he wants to be!