Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Biobot updated. I thought they were dead. Still eerily copying 21-22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

silicone thrills posted:

how hardcore is the urge to say "I told you so?"

Extremely. Every time she complains about the situation I have to stop myself from telling her this is her fault. She's a huge Disney fan, the trip was for her despite what she says and it was revenge travel.

e: She says she wants a do-over next year since the last 2 days out of 7 at parks were ruined. She's learned nothing. I won't be doing that.

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Oct 24, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There's no better feeling in the world than being able to say "I told you so"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hungry Squirrel posted:

(double edit) Given how unreliable antigen tests are now I'm not sure there's value in asking folks to test before they come. At the same time, handing out tests are party favors might be a thing I could do. And I due have a Cue machine and I can order more tests.

On that note, anyone with any covid/flu symptoms shouldn't attend even if they've tested negative.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On that note, anyone with any covid/flu symptoms shouldn't attend even if they've tested negative.

Woah check out Captain Lockdowns here.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Extremely. Every time she complains about the situation I have to stop myself from telling her this is her fault.

Do it, otherwise:

RandomBlue posted:

e: She says she wants a do-over next year since the last 2 days out of 7 at parks were ruined. She's learned nothing. I won't be doing that.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Oh, hard agree. I thought that was just assumed, in terms of asking here, but you're right that I should have called it out. It will absolutely be called out in the invitation email.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
What's the rationale behind using the MERV 15?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

getting moth juiced at a Costco today.

Costco seems to have their poo poo together, unlike CVS.

gently caress CVS.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Is there anything special I need to do with sesame care to get pax for a minor? I seem to recall some people having issues but there was a way to fix it. Or do I just need to lie? Talking about a 17 yo not a young child.

I did verify pax is approved for 12+.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If you're not watching the trump thread, in NY his defense is complaining that a bunch of the AG's team tested positive for COVID and they should delay the trial.

Only people wearing masks in the room? The remaining members of the AG's team. None of Trump's people are wearing masks while complaining about COVID risk. The judge seems unimpressed by their arguments.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

LionArcher posted:

I’m in USA but my doctor is generally pretty chill. we shall see.

also, no major exercise for 2 weeks right? I usually stationary bike a few days a week and am on my feet for 10 hours a day a few days a week as a bartender. my shifts are covered, but I’m assuming I shouldn’t do biking while I’m testing positive, but what about like two mile walks in the woods?

You definitely wanna take it easy. It's not like recovering from a cold. I can normally bike 30+ miles with ease but when I had covid earlier this year, when I thought I was feeling better a week after the initial symptoms I foolishly tried biking and it was a struggle to reach just 7 miles.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Whatever happened to monkeypox? Miss that guy.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well I know of another person who just got got on a Florida vacation. Seems like there's a common thread here...

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Biobot updated. I thought they were dead. Still eerily copying 21-22

From the sounds of it that have stuff changing in the background that are delaying things. Next update will be Nov. 3rd, then it should go back to weekly after that.

LuxuryLarva posted:

Still around. I do weekly updates for cases in Washington state. We've had 9 cases in September and 3 for the first two weeks of Oct. so far.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Rescue Toaster posted:

Well I know of another person who just got got on a Florida vacation. Seems like there's a common thread here...

:hmmyes: people mistakenly testing for some reason

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Extremely. Every time she complains about the situation I have to stop myself from telling her this is her fault. She's a huge Disney fan, the trip was for her despite what she says and it was revenge travel.

you're going to end up divorced if you don't have a conversation with her about why this type of reasoning doesn't work for you

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

you're going to end up divorced if you don't have a conversation with her about why this type of reasoning doesn't work for you

:emptyquote:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Also if you have this conversation with her...probably

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LuxuryLarva posted:

It's still ticking along with a handful of confirmed cases almost every day: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/response/2022/mpx-trends.html

Looks like there's still around 2 deaths per month in the US, the wikipedia page was last updated in May says there'd been 42 deaths but the CDC page which was updated about 4 weeks ago says there's been 54 deaths

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Well I finally got the novavax, completing the trifecta since I got the pfizer and the moderna bivalent.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Also regardless if she can hear it or not, you should be saying that this situation is of her own making since it's true to you and you're obviously thinking it. With a near-adult child, you all could have worn n95s, gone buck wild at Disney World, and probably been fine. She chose the "covid is over" maximimalist path. People don't usually like to think about being personal responsible for ruining their own time and others' and putting their loved ones at risk but if you're not saying it, you're just breeding your own resentment at being hosed over by her. Speaking of which, you need to also own that you could have chosen to wear a mask yourself regardless of how lovely it is to be the only one and how much of a nightmare she probably would have been about it, and you decided not to do that to reduce relationship friction. You had as much agency in this situation as she did.

It super sucks rear end and it shouldn't be the responsibility of individual people to protect themselves this way, but her response is obviously to double and triple down on revenge travel and yours is to get increasingly resentful that she's dragging you into a bad decision, and that combination is a bomb with a lit fuse.

Speaking from personal experience here, don't let this dogshit situation poison your relationship by stewing on things unsaid. Manage your emotions about it, but do say it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

Speaking from personal experience here, don't let this dogshit situation poison your relationship by stewing on things unsaid. Manage your emotions about it, but do say it.

This is also an opportunity to invoke things that have actually happened rather than pure hypotheticals. You're not speculating that going hog wild on vacations will get you covid. You're outright living the fact that it has done so.

Malgrin posted:

this is absolutely untrue lol just be a big boy about things

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Having a kind but frank conversation about decision-making in light of having an actual trip ruined by the very thing you were trying to avoid could result in a divorce, but if it does you were already totally hosed and the relationship wasn't worth saving so.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Oldest Man posted:

Bookmarking this post for later.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I sigh and unsheath the spreadsheet

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Amtrak trip report:

We enjoyed a bedroom on the City of New Orleans and had no issues on the trip. Masks off in the room, where we had a Coway AP-1512 (a full size hepa filter) running full blast, and regular carragelose sprays / mouthwash rinses. Aranet was usually under 800.

It's probably safer to fly so long as you're a strict masker, but there's only one serious no-treats flyer in this family.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

well I have a zoom doctors call in two hours to get pax. My girlfriend who is also sick (but lives in her own house, she started feeling sick a day after me so even though we traveled together road tripping around national parks and camping outside, I thought it was safe, but I'm assuming I picked it up in a bathroom and then gave it to her) talked to her doctor who discouraged her from getting pax because of the bounce back and because it's for the olds, aka boomers.
Lol. I'm still going to try and get it. Symptoms started really Friday night/Saturday, and today I feel the best I have yet. when I occasionally have a coughing fit I feel it more in my ribs, but otherwise, it's just a head cold in terms of symptoms. I'll take working out/ impact of this seriously, and take everything very slowly. Slept eight hours yesterday, laying low/reading/playing video games/watching stuff in general, though I am now working a bit at my second job. (running an online business, aka, I'm writing romance).

In general, have not felt major fatigue, though I am tired like I normally would be from a cold.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Duration of SARS-CoV-2 Culturable Virus Shedding in Children"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2810939 posted:

(..)

(..)
We observed a median duration of infectivity of 3 days after a positive test result in children with the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant. There was no association between duration of infectivity and vaccination or booster status. These results are consistent with a study in adults with the Omicron variant, which found no association between vaccination status and infectivity duration and a slightly longer median duration of infectivity of 5 days.3
(..)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

LionArcher posted:

talked to her doctor who discouraged her from getting pax because of the bounce back and because it's for the olds, aka boomers.
Her doctor doesn't understand how the medicine works

cool that they're still able to prescribe it though, despite not knowing the basics about it

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Malgrin posted:

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Toxx on it you cowards

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Inflammation in severe COVID linked to excess gut fungi"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03295-w posted:

An overabundant ‘mycobiota’ might be involved in triggering harmful immune responses.
(..)
Compared with 36 individuals who had never tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, people with severe COVID-19 produced about four times as many antibodies against three fungal species commonly found in the gut, including the yeast Candida albicans. A high prevalence of antibodies suggests that these people had elevated amounts of those fungi. Faecal samples collected in early 2021 from 10 people with COVID-19 also showed that they had higher overall levels of gut fungi, especially of Candida species, relative to 10 healthy individuals. For these people, the abundance of Candida was positively correlated with disease severity. The presence of some fungal species, C. albicans in particular, has been shown to activate the immune system6.

In a subset of people with severe COVID-19, the number of antibodies against C. albicans in their blood was linked to the number of immune cells called neutrophils, which can trigger inflammation.

When the researchers infected mice with C. albicans extracted from people with severe COVID-19, and then infected them with SARS-CoV-2, they observed that more neutrophils invaded the animals’ lungs and activated an inflammatory response than in mice with SARS-CoV-2 alone. If they gave these mice an antifungal drug, it lowered the number and activity of neutrophils.

Long-COVID theories
The study also found that people with severe COVID-19 continued to have raised levels of antibodies against C. albicans and neutrophil precursors primed to counter fungi long after they had recovered from the disease — up to one year later in some people. These factors hint that mycobiota changes during a SARS-CoV-2 infection could contribute to inflammation associated with long COVID.
(..)

Article proper:
"Fungal microbiota sustains lasting immune activation of neutrophils and their progenitors in severe COVID-19"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-023-01637-4 posted:

Abstract
Gastrointestinal fungal dysbiosis is a hallmark of several diseases marked by systemic immune activation. Whether persistent pathobiont colonization during immune alterations and impaired gut barrier function has a durable impact on host immunity is unknown. We found that elevated levels of Candida albicans immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies marked patients with severe COVID-19 (sCOVID-19) who had intestinal Candida overgrowth, mycobiota dysbiosis and systemic neutrophilia. Analysis of hematopoietic stem cell progenitors in sCOVID-19 revealed transcriptional changes in antifungal immunity pathways and reprogramming of granulocyte myeloid progenitors (GMPs) for up to a year. Mice colonized with C. albicans patient isolates experienced increased lung neutrophilia and pulmonary NETosis during severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 infection, which were partially resolved with antifungal treatment or by interleukin-6 receptor blockade. sCOVID-19 patients treated with tocilizumab experienced sustained reductions in C. albicans IgG antibodies titers and GMP transcriptional changes. These findings suggest that gut fungal pathobionts may contribute to immune activation during inflammatory diseases, offering potential mycobiota-immune therapeutic strategies for sCOVID-19 with prolonged symptoms.

I don't have access to the full article, but I wonder if (and if so: how) they adjusted for severe cases by definition being hospitalized, meaning higher likelihood of exposure to fungal infections in a weakened state and often downright given therapeutics that tend to enhance fungal infections (like hormones). Nevertheless, the interplay between C. albicans and COVID infections seen in the mice, suggests that there is something real here.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Got muh booster. My moderna gold star is no more so sad 😔 Arm is a little sore but I am le sicky anyway so unclear if the other side effects are present - my worst shot was original booster but bivalent was fine.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Review paper of the potential for COVID induced Alzheimer's, there is - by definition - nothing inherently new, but it is always nice to see some scientific summaries. Even if all the evidence in favor of COVID having the capability of loving up brains, is a bit of a nightmare to read in the review.
"COVID-19 and the impact on Alzheimer's disease pathology"

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jnc.15985 posted:

Abstract
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has rapidly escalated into a global pandemic that primarily affects older and immunocompromised individuals due to underlying clinical conditions and suppressed immune responses. Furthermore, COVID-19 patients exhibit a spectrum of neurological symptoms, indicating that COVID-19 can affect the brain in a variety of manners. Many studies, past and recent, suggest a connection between viral infections and an increased risk of neurodegeneration, raising concerns about the neurological effects of COVID-19 and the possibility that it may contribute to Alzheimer's disease (AD) onset or worsen already existing AD pathology through inflammatory processes given that both COVID-19 and AD share pathological features and risk factors. This leads us to question whether COVID-19 is a risk factor for AD and how these two conditions might influence each other. Considering the extensive reach of the COVID-19 pandemic and the devastating impact of the ongoing AD pandemic, their combined effects could have significant public health consequences worldwide.

(..)
6 CONCLUSION
AD is linked to many risk factors including genetic mutations, aging, and other environmental factors such as viral and bacterial infections. SARS-CoV-2, the viral pathogen responsible for COVID-19, has been linked to a variety of comorbidities and risk factors shared by AD. While COVID-19 usually results in a wide range of symptoms, including respiratory distress, infection has been associated with changes in brain structure and function which are also associated with neuroinflammation and potential neurodegeneration. Additionally, long-term cognitive impairments have been observed post-COVID-19.

Age is the biggest contributing factor to AD and COVID-19, and both—regardless of their etiology—appear to enhance the effects of one another. Regardless of how these processes occur, the long-term consequences of two colliding diseases (AD and COVID-19) and their synergistic effects on neurodegeneration are yet to be seen, and further research is needed to understand the impact of COVID-19 on neurodegenerative diseases like AD. Ongoing research holds promise, with the potential to offer interventions that could improve public health outcomes amid an aging population. A summary of the mechanistic functions and shared factors that impact both AD pathogenesis and COVID-19 are provided in Figure 1.

FIGURE 1
Schematic representation of the mechanistic functions and shared influence of AD and COVID-19 risk factors. Old age is the most significant risk factor for AD. A genetic risk factor, the APOE gene, has been shown to also increase the AD risk. It has been associated with worsened tau pathology and the presence of the APOE4 allele in astrocytes and microglia can impair their ability to efficiently clear Aβ. Other risk factors linked to AD include inflammation well as microbial and viral exposures. Old age and APOE4 also influence COVID-19 risk. APOE4 facilitates binding of the viral S protein to its receptor, ACE2. It is also associated with increased BBB permeability as well as promoting production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, leading to neuroinflammation and ultimately neurodegeneration. ACE2, angiotensin converting enzyme 2; AD, Alzheimer's disease; APOE, apolipoprotein E; Aβ, amyloid beta; BBB, blood brain barrier; COVID-19, coronavirus disease 2019; SARS-CoV-2, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2.

A potentially easier read, despite the click-bait (the article doesn't and can't conclude that) headline:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Animal-Mother posted:

I sigh and unsheath the spreadsheet

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:rubby:
"Long-term health impacts of COVID-19 among 242,712 adults in England"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-41879-2 posted:

Abstract
The COVID-19 pandemic is having a lasting impact on health and well-being. We compare current self-reported health, quality of life and symptom profiles for people with ongoing symptoms following COVID-19 to those who have never tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection and those who have recovered from COVID-19. Overall, 276,840/800,000 (34·6%) of invited participants took part. Mental health and health-related quality of life were worse among participants with ongoing persistent symptoms post-COVID compared with those who had never had COVID-19 or had recovered. In this study, median duration of COVID-related symptoms (N = 130,251) was 1·3 weeks (inter-quartile range 6 days to 2 weeks), with 7·5% and 5·2% reporting ongoing symptoms ≥12 weeks and ≥52 weeks respectively. Female sex, ≥1 comorbidity and being infected when Wild-type variant was dominant were associated with higher probability of symptoms lasting ≥12 weeks and longer recovery time in those with persistent symptoms. Although COVID-19 is usually of short duration, some adults experience persistent and burdensome illness.

Bonus unbiased interpretation of 5.2% of the UK population of ~67 million, in this subheading:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/248793/major-study-shows-insights-into-lasting/ posted:

Major study shows new insights into lasting impacts of COVID‐19 on UK population
Tens of thousands of people in England may have lasting symptoms from COVID‐19 more than a year after infection, new analysis reveals.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DickParasite posted:

Toxx on it you cowards

consider it a toxx: if my wife demands that we take our kids who don't exist to Disney as some sort of FOMO revenge travel and I can't have a conversation about how I tried to warn her that is a bad idea

then permaban me.

easiest toxx ever next to not voting for JoeB

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
17 minutes away from Full Mothification

Seattle Goons: the south Seattle Costco has Novavax.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

"Inflammation in severe COVID linked to excess gut fungi"

Article proper:
"Fungal microbiota sustains lasting immune activation of neutrophils and their progenitors in severe COVID-19"

I don't have access to the full article, but I wonder if (and if so: how) they adjusted for severe cases by definition being hospitalized, meaning higher likelihood of exposure to fungal infections in a weakened state and often downright given therapeutics that tend to enhance fungal infections (like hormones). Nevertheless, the interplay between C. albicans and COVID infections seen in the mice, suggests that there is something real here.

Dear doctors please don't just go throwing around what few efficacious antifungal drugs we have remaining to us because it's possibly a way to maybe reduce Covid severity

Gonna end up doing the entire antibiotics speedrun... speedier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

consider it a toxx: if my wife demands that we take our kids who don't exist to Disney as some sort of FOMO revenge travel and I can't have a conversation about how I tried to warn her that is a bad idea

then permaban me.

easiest toxx ever next to not voting for JoeB

Yea, I mean, you can toxx me on this: if my wife decides to go to Disney I will tell her to gently caress right off and I won't be here when she gets back.