Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There's some really good stuff in the last three seasons but i agree that the show is at its best when it's the USAF and friends vs the goa'uld. The send-off to maybourne was great and there's some funny stuff later on, too.

If they ever did a new one i think i'd prefer to go back to weird sci-fi/fighting the goa'uld rather than the universe at the end of the shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

well why not posted:

I’m on s7 now, I hadn’t seen much past the first few seasons. One of the biggest takeaways is how drat good RDA is. It’d be impossible to replace that flavour of charisma. One of the best to do it and I’m glad he has retired rich to go get fat and watch every hockey game ever.

I was thinking who a modern RDA analog would be for a Stargate series would be, topping my list is Matt Berry

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

I’m on s7 now, I hadn’t seen much past the first few seasons. One of the biggest takeaways is how drat good RDA is. It’d be impossible to replace that flavour of charisma. One of the best to do it and I’m glad he has retired rich to go get fat and watch every hockey game ever.

He's super awesome and talented. Before he made it big in Hollywood, he did all kinds of things. Was a mime on the streets of LA. Motorcycled across N. America. And was in a band. Check it out:

Slow Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fxcVy0NrTc

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

redshirt posted:

He's super awesome and talented. Before he made it big in Hollywood, he did all kinds of things. Was a mime on the streets of LA. Motorcycled across N. America. And was in a band. Check it out:

RDA is really good and i think the main reason SG1 really worked as a show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Now think about it, why would someone make a machine that loops time?

It's a time loop machine! Who knows why?

Are you talking about Window of Opportunity? They said why, the Ancients needed more time to find a cure for their plague.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

loving banger

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Panzeh posted:

RDA is really good and i think the main reason SG1 really worked as a show.

Agreed 100%. Clearly at the beginning of the show, they were using him and his fame from MacGuyver as the hook to draw in viewers. Eventually SG1 became a thing on its own and could lessen that emphasis.

He's also a producer on seasons 1-7, and had a lot of input into his character and the overall tone of the show.

That said, the other 3 of the core 4 are all awesome as well, and it's those 4 characters that really elevate it. In comparison to SGA, which of course uses all the same sci-fi concepts, but the cast doesn't click as well together as SG1.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Are you talking about Window of Opportunity? They said why, the Ancients needed more time to find a cure for their plague.

Didn't work out for them, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So I subscribe to Anvil Industry's 3d printing Patreon. This month is knock-off Starship Troopers and knock-off Stargate Teams.

Which I had forgotten about... Until they released a preview for next month's set:

INDEED.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zat's are held from the bottom. that's a bootleg Zat right? It looks more like a Needler from Halo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's a fine line to tread while making legally distinct miniatures

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Looks like a Covenant plasma pistol to me, but yeah.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

You know sometimes I think O'Neill just rides the elevator up and down when he's having a slow day. He knows at some point there's going to be a weird thing happening or a conversation to be had.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

pixaal posted:

I was thinking who a modern RDA analog would be for a Stargate series would be, topping my list is Matt Berry

There would be about 10 syllables in Go'auld if he said it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Walter: "Chevron 7, locked."

Clem Fandango: "SG-1, this is Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?"

SG-1 *Looking up at the control booth*: "Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango."

Clem Fandango: "OK, just letting you know that Chevron 7 is locked."

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ah gently caress I just remembered the twist in "Heroes".

Bummer.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Been on another rewatch since getting my girlfriend into it, just got into season 7 (she took it very personally when Daniel died so she'll enjoy it when she gets to it) and anyway discovered this thread existed so I'll post this that I capped the last time I was rewatching:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tok'ra either don't have any symbiotes spare, or have them available for Jack/Daniel/whoever, depending on what the plot demands.

Their queen was lost for a long time and then died with a bunch of brain-dead offspring as final wave so they'll probably die off soon if they don't make another queen, however that is done.

redshirt posted:

They don't replace RDA, but as their own, new thing, it's fun.

John Crichton could have easily replaced him but they made Cam a boring dude who only slightly resembles the superior hooman :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wish there was some kind of dream episode where he was his Farscape character dropped into the SG universe, I feel like he would actually mesh really well with some of the craziness going on at that point

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Stark Mitchell is the closest we'll get :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Remember that time they called him Probie?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FFT posted:

Been on another rewatch since getting my girlfriend into it, just got into season 7 (she took it very personally when Daniel died so she'll enjoy it when she gets to it) and anyway discovered this thread existed so I'll post this that I capped the last time I was rewatching:

when i saw this i had to pause it for 5mins to stop loling. i was 100% not expecting it. i assumed their air force had more control over scripts then this episode showed me they have very little if any.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think they make sure you get rank right

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

snergle posted:

when i saw this i had to pause it for 5mins to stop loling. i was 100% not expecting it. i assumed their air force had more control over scripts then this episode showed me they have very little if any.

The show does portray the air force in a fairly positive light. You have that whole plot-line with Sam's apprentice.

I guess Jack's traumas having been locked up goes against that, but he specifically calls out the bad dude over it in the black hole episode.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Leandros posted:

Their queen was lost for a long time and then died with a bunch of brain-dead offspring as final wave so they'll probably die off soon if they don't make another queen, however that is done.

Nothing stopping them from making harcesis(es).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Ah gently caress I just remembered the twist in "Heroes".

Bummer.

When that episode came out I was really busy with college and didn't see or hear anything about it, including missing the first part, so the second part hit me like a ton of bricks. :smith:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh man I'd completely forgotten about S07E08 "Space Race" :allears:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

When that episode came out I was really busy with college and didn't see or hear anything about it, including missing the first part, so the second part hit me like a ton of bricks. :smith:

It's such an odd two part episode too. It plays as a humor episode with the on base film crew. It gets serious with the film crew. Then seemingly out of nowhere, BAM!.

Also, I loved the focus on SG12 or whatever number they were, and just their basic day to day mission (that goes sideways).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

redshirt posted:

It's such an odd two part episode too. It plays as a humor episode with the on base film crew. It gets serious with the film crew. Then seemingly out of nowhere, BAM!.

Also, I loved the focus on SG12 or whatever number they were, and just their basic day to day mission (that goes sideways).

The little betting pool they have going on is such a nice humanising moment. Also the military guy in charge isn't a massive dick to the guy who just wants to study the cool ruins. It really shows that it's not just SG-1 who have these close interpersonal relationships.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The budget for season 8 episodes 16 and 17 must have been lit. They did probably save money by reusing every wormhole activation shot they've ever made.

Also, not again, Daniel. :cripes:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I like the time Jack yells I've done it again after using then fron gabbing machine.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You are in the desert. You see a tortoise lying on his back in the hot sun.
You recognize his plight but do nothing to help. Why?

Because…you…are…also…a tortoise. :allears:

Armacham posted:

The budget for season 8 episodes 16 and 17 must have been lit. They did probably save money by reusing every wormhole activation shot they've ever made.

Also, not again, Daniel. :cripes:

Daniel probably has his own personal booth in that restaurant by now.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Do you think Walter the gate-dialer is a General in the Stargate program by now?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

In the first Aschen episode he's basically SGC's janitor, soo

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Do you think Walter the gate-dialer is a General in the Stargate program by now?

He's the Miles O'Brian of Stargate. Still gate dialing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

In the first Aschen episode he's basically SGC's janitor, soo

Naaaw, he was like some Tour Liaison or some such. Not very high ranking for sure, but he wasn't emptying tour waste baskets.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ChairmanMauzer posted:

He's like a master sgt or something so he'll never reach general. Plus he only makes like 1/3rd of what the SG teams full of officers (for some reason) make. I guess he probably gets hazard pay from being comms/weapons officer with hammond that one time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

How is opening the gate when anything could walk through and all that protects you is glass not hazardous? Why do they ever open the blast doors? Should be the backup for when someone shoots out the cams They even have cameras in there!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think the thread consensus is we don't talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

How is opening the gate when anything could walk through and all that protects you is glass not hazardous? Why do they ever open the blast doors? Should be the backup for when someone shoots out the cams They even have cameras in there!

Cuz windows are cooler than blast doors, and the General wants windows.