Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc Skylines 2 is also doing that Daikatana poo poo where they're rendering teeth in the tiny sims that don't open their mouths and wouldn't be visible even if they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tiny Timbs posted:

iirc Skylines 2 is also doing that Daikatana poo poo where they're rendering teeth in the tiny sims that don't open their mouths and wouldn't be visible even if they did

But my immersion!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Volte posted:

sub-60 fps on high-end PC hardware is going to be normal for like the next two or three years at least. Welcome to next gen.
what a load of horseshit, even ignoring 4xxxx and framegen...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Normal and necessary are two very different things but let’s be real that new console gens leading to really dumb PC port issues is unfortunately the norm. Certainly wish it wasn’t.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Nobody who knows how to write low-latency high performance code willingly works in game development, and keeping a lid on poly/texture/draw call budgets requires expertise as well.

It basically all boils down to game development being a severely unattractive field.

Yeah, I encountered this right when I got out of uni with my computer touching degree in hand. Looked at some gamedev jobs on the one hand, and some "regular" industry jobs on the other. The latter tended to pay on average like 50% more (sometimes double if it was in something finance-adjacent), while usually also having much better ratings/reputations in terms of quality of life. And that was just for entry-level positions, much less anything requiring experience or niche skills.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I encountered this right when I got out of uni with my computer touching degree in hand. Looked at some gamedev jobs on the one hand, and some "regular" industry jobs on the other. The latter tended to pay on average like 50% more (sometimes double if it was in something finance-adjacent), while usually also having much better ratings/reputations in terms of quality of life. And that was just for entry-level positions, much less anything requiring experience or niche skills.

Yeah I originally wanted to do game dev instead of non-game software development but by the time I graduated I had looked at whether I wanted to have vastly worse quality of life, less pay, and less job security and said “hmm no”

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Qmass posted:

what a load of horseshit, even ignoring 4xxxx and framegen...
Framegen needs a decently high framerate to work properly in the first place. It's not magic. It can't improve input latency at all so trying to turn 30fps into 60fps+ with FG is going to feel like dogshit and will likely have pretty bad artifacting during high motion scenes.

Skulker posted:

Is there a reason developers don't optimise anything any more?
They do, but the thing that is being optimized is growing insanely more complex and demanding all the time. And the older, simpler, more predictable ways of doing things have major artistic restrictions whereas next-gen is becoming more and more about removing those limitations at the expense of performance. Things that used to require major feats of engineering and careful coordination with artists to be possible can now feasibly be done more straightforwardly with a cost. Once the average PC catches up it'll be a good change. Until then, I think next-gen PC gaming is going to be in a bit of rough spot for all but the highest-end cards, just by nature of what "next-gen" is.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 24, 2023

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I know only 3 of us played Exoprimal, but that ran at 60 FPS with raptors as far as the eye could see in complicated map geometry. Optimization is everything.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Donnerberg posted:

I know only 3 of us played Exoprimal, but that ran at 60 FPS with raptors as far as the eye could see in complicated map geometry. Optimization is everything.
That came out on PS4 - it's not exactly a next gen game

Orv
May 4, 2011
Optimization can still be done even with the new methods though, even if I am on team “it’s probably gonna be hosed for a bit.” It’s not as though devs don’t have a history of just taking the easy way out once it’s presented, with things like on disk game size or certain types of procedural generation. There’s absolutely going to be some games that could have been optimized better but they just slapped on DLSS and called it a day.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

loving lmao.

I mean this is the type of weird attitude that I think can be quite easily spun round.

It's a city builder - what the gently caress are you doing if it can't hit 60?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it'd be neat if we stopped adding features to games that increase graphical fidelity in an almost unnoticeable way for a 30 FPS cost. While I've enjoyed ray tracing in a few games and DLSS is amazing, I just feel like we're losing performance for tiny gains in graphics because we've kind of hit a peak. While a 360 era game is going to look worse (due to art direction/color choices for many games), the difference between that era and now is not even close to something like the previous generation to the 360/ps3 era. Just don't feel like it's worth games running like poo poo for this, it was nice to get PC ports that actually ran well for a while last gen.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The pervasive "lazy devs" narrative is easily the worst thing about the gaming community, especially when "devs are overworked and crunch is bad" is the parallel through-line in many of the very same places.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

The pervasive "lazy devs" narrative is easily worst thing about the gaming community, especially when "devs are overworked and crunch is bad" is the parallel through-line in many of the very same places.

To be extremely clear I’m not saying that they’re lazy, I hate that bullshit. I’m saying that when given the option, if they don’t have to optimize things like game size - specifically because the industry is a nightmare and it’s not worth what little time they have - they will take that route. Optimizing a game is ridiculously hard so if solutions exist that work 50% as well, I don’t blame them for taking them but it still sucks for the end user.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mr E posted:

I think it'd be neat if we stopped adding features to games that increase graphical fidelity in an almost unnoticeable way for a 30 FPS cost. While I've enjoyed ray tracing in a few games and DLSS is amazing, I just feel like we're losing performance for tiny gains in graphics because we've kind of hit a peak. While a 360 era game is going to look worse (due to art direction/color choices for many games), the difference between that era and now is not even close to something like the previous generation to the 360/ps3 era. Just don't feel like it's worth games running like poo poo for this, it was nice to get PC ports that actually ran well for a while last gen.
The biggest difference this gen is in the way the games are made as opposed to the fidelity of the pixels on the screen. Like before, the RPM was topping out and there was no more headroom, but now the gears have shifted and the RPM is much lower but there's a lot more headroom for improvement. It's transitional.

Orv posted:

To be extremely clear I’m not saying that they’re lazy, I hate that bullshit. I’m saying that when given the option, if they don’t have to optimize things like game size - specifically because the industry is a nightmare and it’s not worth what little time they have - they will take that route. Optimizing a game is ridiculously hard so if solutions exist that work 50% as well, I don’t blame them for taking them but it still sucks for the end user.
There's optimization, i.e. not leaving performance/disk space/etc on the table due to unnecessary wasted work, and there's simply engineering towards high-end specs, and we're already seeing a lot more of the latter this generation. Once you go down certain development paths which, this generation, include things like relying on asset streaming, more artist-friendly lighting techniques, new kinds of hardware acceleration, etc., there's no amount of optimization that will make those games run well on older hardware. What people called optimization in that case means "write the game differently".

There's obviously a lot of precedent for games running like poo poo due to lack of optimization, and this generation is surely not going to be an exception, but unlike before, even well-optimized games are going to demand high specs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

There's optimization, i.e. not leaving performance/disk space/etc on the table due to unnecessary wasted work, and there's simply engineering towards high-end specs, and we're already seeing a lot more of the latter this generation. Once you go down certain development paths which, this generation, include things like relying on asset streaming, more artist-friendly lighting techniques, new kinds of hardware acceleration, etc., there's no amount of optimization that will make those games run well on older hardware. What people called optimization in that case means "write the game differently".

There's obviously a lot of precedent for games running like poo poo due to lack of optimization, and this generation is surely not going to be an exception, but unlike before, even well-optimized games are going to demand high specs.

Right but you can only target so high because the current consoles are already behind the current highest end of PC hardware, in most areas anyway and we already have games coming out that run like poo poo on both. We also have had games come out that run great so it’s clearly not just one thing.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone here try out pandemic train ?

I was quite interested in its half/half split of survival management with action combat/scavenging, ala something like Death Road to Canada or This War of Mine, so I did give the demo a whirl. What I found was ok, but rather bland and unexciting: the management part was nice but felt like it got rather repetitive quickly, and the combat part felt really dry with braindead AI and dull worlds to explore. Combat in particularly felt like it was stuck in a bad middle-ground where it hasn't chosen an appropriate theme: it isn't action-packed and fast enough to be fun and exciting, yet it also isn't slow, deliberate and deadly enough to feel immersive. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it felt a bit dull in its execution so it was a pass for me: maybe give the demo a whirl yourself as sometimes I am quick to pass judgment. If you're fine with RTS/Commandos-esque combat instead of twin-stick, I'd say go for Last Train Home instead (tho it isn't out yet), or if you don't mind missing the action sequences, Frostpunk was one of my favorites survival sims.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 24, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

Right but you can only target so high because the current consoles are already behind the current highest end of PC hardware, in most areas anyway and we already have games coming out that run like poo poo on both. We also have had games come out that run great so it’s clearly not just one thing.
I think as long as games aren't doing anything that the PS5 fundamentally can't do, it won't be the bottleneck. If it can do 30fps at a reduced fidelity compared to PC but still look good, then that's a well-precedented console target. That's not going to stop devs from developing for the tools they have, and UE5 is going to be a big driver of performance (or lack thereof) this gen. One thing to remember is that 30fps could be for any reason, not just pushing the GPU too hard. If there's 17ms of CPU work per frame on a great CPU and 32ms per frame on a middling CPU, that's still outside of the 60fps budget in either place, even if one has a 4090 and the other is a PS5. That's definitely one place where good optimization will shine.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just make everything on the resident evil engine so I can play it at 30 fps on my watch at least

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Volte posted:

The pervasive "lazy devs" narrative is easily the worst thing about the gaming community, especially when "devs are overworked and crunch is bad" is the parallel through-line in many of the very same places.
For years fghting game devs insisted non-rollback netcode was acceptible whenever they were asked about it and that rollback was too hard to implement. They got enough pushback during covid where people just wouldnt play non-rollback games that its now finally a top priority for them seven years later than it should have been, and turns out theyre all capable of it after all.

Note that nobody got lazy or un-lazy during this process. 30fps limits on good hardware is a choice that has trade offs and I think it's a bad choice for a city builder.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 24, 2023

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I think the big problem with the games coming out with performance problems due to 'next gen' tech is it's pretty hard to see the difference on the screen from the stuff we used to get at 60fps. I think if they were putting out stuff that was obviously a big jump to the average person you'd get more understanding, but I usually have to watch a digital foundry video to know why I should be impressed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol apparently the MGS collection doesn't even really run at the 1080p they promised, the menus run at that but then the actual gameplay switches to 720p just like the OG HD collection

:bravo: konami

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

repiv posted:

lol apparently the MGS collection doesn't even really run at the 1080p they promised, the menus run at that but then the actual gameplay switches to 720p just like the OG HD collection

:bravo: konami

It's really incredible that emulating the PS2 games, the last HD collection, or playing on xbone with actually decent upscaling are all better options than buying the new versions on PC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Extremely weird that anyone is surprised by this, honestly. Don’t give Konami your money in TYOOL 2023. Not for this and not for the new games either.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Nobody who knows how to write low-latency high performance code willingly works in game development, and keeping a lid on poly/texture/draw call budgets requires expertise as well.

It basically all boils down to game development being a severely unattractive field.

It doesn't help that devs constantly get fired or laid off during a game's development process so no one has domain knowledge of their own game by the time they need to optimize.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody take one for the team and let us know if Cities 2 is good or not, frame rate and all.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Speaking of frame rates, I just looked at Alan Wake 2's recommended specs and holy poo poo. I guess its supposed to look amazing though.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

"devs" is too broad a term imo. it encompassea the board and management of a developer, who are almost always cartoonishly evil villains, and the overworked programmers chained to their desks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Speaking of frame rates, I just looked at Alan Wake 2's recommended specs and holy poo poo. I guess its supposed to look amazing though.

the buried lede mentioned by one of the devs on twitter is that it requires mesh shaders, a fairly new GPU feature, so anything older than a GTX16/RTX20 or RX6000 card can't run it at all

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I really thought my 3080 would last longer before being relegated to "medium 1440p/30fps, maybe :shrug:"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Cartoon Man posted:

Sounds awful. I’ve wishlisted it

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Vlad Games > Steam Thread: Sounds awful. I've wishlisted it

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Speaking of ports/remakes, I already mentioned it before but I'm very excited for STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R: looks to be a very polished and modernized remake of the PS1 classic. I was really impressed with the demo and all of its quality-of-life features, like random encounters being removed in favor of modeling the monsters physically in the world, combat being revamped with a new bonus system and having spells no longer bringing it to a tedious crawl, fast travel, 2x speed, being able to choose older-style portraits if you want, and much more, while still remaining very faithful to the original (and the demo allows you to keep your progress into the full game as well). I'm usually a 'wait for sale' kinda guy and I can understand people balking at the price for what is essentially a PS1 game, but the quality on display makes me want to buy it outright, which is much more than I can say for those MGS ports.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What gets to me about Cities Skylines is that it’s missing basic stuff like DLSS and only FSR1 is supported, support for the much better FSR2 is missing. Apparently the developers wanted a delay but Paradox was insisting they release it this quarter and are paying for it with bad reviews.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any Heroes of Might & Magic 3 fans in the audience?

I have great news for you

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/wargaming/sale/HoMMIIIxWoWS

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From now on I'm referring to the genre as Hommwows

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

this poo poo needs to come with a list of graphics features that you can turn off for the biggest improvement

I know Control looked amazing with ray tracing and that only needed a 2060 or better.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

victrix posted:

Yes and god drat you for making me think this was something cool instead of this :argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't care how good your game looks but if you can only manage minimum settings 1080p/30 on an RTX 2060 then you have seriously hosed up somewhere.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jack Trades posted:

I don't care how good your game looks but if you can only manage minimum settings 1080p/30 on an RTX 2060 then you have seriously hosed up somewhere.

It's a good thing that alan wake is a city builder where there's no real benefit to 60 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It feels like studios or publishers aren’t looking at steam surveys or just keeping track of hardware prices.

Like, I get optimization is hard but it’s also a matter of making something for the target market.

victrix posted:

W…what?