Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cassius Belli posted:

Right, why would I ever want an all-matching set? To me at least, half the charm of having enameled ironware is having a whole kaleidoscope of colors.
Not even that: I want my cast-iron and my All-Clad and my carbon steel, each serving a different purpose. I like enameled casseroles, but I don't see why I would want an enamelware skillet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

for me one enameled cast iron dutch oven is enough

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

*enameled monocle pops right off*

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not even that: I want my cast-iron and my All-Clad and my carbon steel, each serving a different purpose. I like enameled casseroles, but I don't see why I would want an enamelware skillet.
Probably nice for generic single skillet "protein on a bed of veg" dishes, especially if you're expecting to make a sauce out of the jus and want it clear. Basically using it as a mini casserole or roaster instead of like a fry pan.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

effika posted:

Calling a pottery studio is a good idea, too. You may even start making your own!

I'm very tempted, I've already taken a basic wheel throwing class and did fairly well. But I'd be stretched way too thin at home at this point. Maybe when my boy is older I'll get back into it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mystes posted:

for me one enameled cast iron dutch oven is enough
We have a normal one and a big one and the one I seriously discolored by using the overnight bread method of heating an empty pan in the oven. (The cold-oven method works beautifully, btw.) There is also a flat-skillety one (okay, I forgot that above) that is great for heating something and then braising it under cover the rest of the way. Oh, and one flat open casserole for shallow bakeable things like chicken thighs baked in mustard.

My mental drawer for enameled iron is "things that cook slowly and/or would discolor in cast iron".

We have too many pots. I am slowly throwing stuff away.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I forgot my Thermapen in our vacation house like an idiot. Do I replace it with the same or is there a better alternative these days?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bolind posted:

I forgot my Thermapen in our vacation house like an idiot. Do I replace it with the same or is there a better alternative these days?

the Thermapen ONE (slightly faster version?) is on sale through Thermoworks' site right now - it's cheaper than the classic. No clue when the sale ends but if I were in the market, it would be either that or just a cheapo $20 version from Amazon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The best part about the ONE replacement I got after 7ish years of my trusty red boy, is that it has a sleep mode automatically. If you set it on the counter while it is still open, after like 5 seconds it turns off, but comes back on instantly when it senses any movement.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks, I ordered a ONE. Sounds like a solid upgrade from my classic, and I got it at a decent price all things considered.

Edit: I’m also stoked about it using a AAA instead of 2x CR2032 or whatever the button cells are called.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Somebody, out there, somewhere, designed this container with *intention*.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/araven-09308-3-6-gallon-57-6-cup-polypropylene-light-duty-shelf-ingredient-bin-dispenser/15909308.html

That right there, is a container sized exactly to fit one (1) 25 pound bag of long grain jasmine rice. Plus one cup for air space.

And god damnit, it's half the price of what I paid for two poorly-sized containers that hold half that. Bought one, giving it a try, will report back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Somebody, out there, somewhere, designed this container with *intention*.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/araven-09308-3-6-gallon-57-6-cup-polypropylene-light-duty-shelf-ingredient-bin-dispenser/15909308.html

That right there, is a container sized exactly to fit one (1) 25 pound bag of long grain jasmine rice. Plus one cup for air space.

And god damnit, it's half the price of what I paid for two poorly-sized containers that hold half that. Bought one, giving it a try, will report back.

Is hoisin supposed to be stored room temp like that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
i have yet to eat at a pho restaurant that refrigerates their hoisin.

Frankly, not sure I would WANT to, never mind that I don't use any hoisin with pho for some decades now.

I just feel like the restaurant that fridges their hoisin would have other, weird vibes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 23, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

theres a bunch of poo poo that should probably be refrigerated and is recommended to be refrigerated because they dont want to risk lawsuits, but you're also probably just fine not caring

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m still refrigerating my ketchup

I think I’m just trying to keep most of my sauces in one place

Has anyone ever kept ketchup around long enough to see it go bad

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've never had it go bad and I leave it out because cold is no good with fries

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I refrigerate everything, I'm so white I have to be stopped from putting salt or pepper in the fridge it's hosed up but I don't know how to get better.

Is this still good?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm looking for a new stick blender, does anyone have any good recommendations for one that's available in the UK?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I need sharper scissors for my candy shop. So, probably not kitchen scissors and/or serrated scissors.

We do cut some candy with them, but mostly we use them to cut the tips off of plastic piping bags: (Edit: ever use a plastic piping bag? Slippery AS gently caress)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1ZGZ7V/

So, I guess I need sharp and/or stiff?
I just did some striping for the first time in months, and I'm kind of horrified that none of my staff have complained about the badly worn scissors.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you have a whole-rear end candy shop, why not get candy shears? Piping bag tips can be handled with a $5 Walmart special that just gets sharpened or replaced whenever

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, I guess I need sharp and/or stiff?

You can have it your way. How do you want it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Food Saver V4840 with the jar sealer attachments good for stuff like canning and pickling (safely)?

My dad's birthday is coming up and he's interested in a Food Saver, but he also recently got into making his own sauerkraut and curtido(sp?) and I know he's interested in canning that stuff along with sauces and whatnot.

EDIT: Also does the Food Saver FM5860 (with the same jar sealer attachments) have any features at all that would make it worth the extra money over the V4840?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 24, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've had my basic Foodsaver since 2007 or so and never once needed a jar attachment.

Check the hot sauce thread - some goons there use vacuum sealers for fermentation. They do it in bags with extra headspace, not jars. If you're fermenting in a jar, you need a vent (i.e. https://a.co/d/afJFupT), not a vacuum seal.

You definitely can't do proper canning with those jar attachments.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Aramoro posted:

I'm looking for a new stick blender, does anyone have any good recommendations for one that's available in the UK?

Bamix should be available in the UK, but they are pretty expensive. If you want a cheap one, I used a Braun for years and it was fine.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 24, 2023

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Is the Food Saver V4840 with the jar sealer attachments good for stuff like canning and pickling (safely)?

My dad's birthday is coming up and he's interested in a Food Saver, but he also recently got into making his own sauerkraut and curtido(sp?) and I know he's interested in canning that stuff along with sauces and whatnot.

EDIT: Also does the Food Saver FM5860 (with the same jar sealer attachments) have any features at all that would make it worth the extra money over the V4840?

First I want to make it absolutely clear that vacuum sealing with a Food Saver is not in any way a replacement for actual canning. It won't give you shelf-stable pickles or sauces, and if your dad tries to use it for that he will die. Vacuum sealing jars still has its place. I mainly do that to get a better shelf life on dry goods, or even for things I'm freezing in jars.

Specific to sealing jars, I don't see any advantage to the more expensive Food Saver. I haven't read the fine print on the other features though, so there may be something useful there. Honestly I stopped using the actual Food Saver machine to vacuum seal jars for the most part, and started using the jar attachments along with a hand vacuum pump like you'd use to bleed brakes on a car. It's more work, but still easier than pulling out a big machine to seal just one jar. If the Food Saver is already out, then yeah I'll use it. Anyway the hand vacuum pump worked fine for a while, until I discovered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6BCXB3D . It replaces the Food Saver jar attachments for not much more money, and it's super compact, convenient, and quick to use. I'm not sure I'll ever use my Food Saver for jars again now that I have this.

We also have a canning and pickling thread that may be useful: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have the vacuum jar sealer for foodsaver, been using it for a decade

As stated above it is NOT a canning substitute. “Canning” requires boiling water or pressure cooking to kill bacteria

What the jar vacuum lid IS good for is getting air out of jars for items that you’re not going to use often but want to keep from going rancid/stale for a longer time, stuff that’s shelf stable in the first place like spices or dehydrated food

Sucking the air out of liquid things might also give it a deeper color, if you are into modernist stuff like that. I often make gravy with xanthan gum instead of flour, and use a blender to get the xanthan mixed in. It turns foggy and light brown from the incorporated air, so I will vacuum jar it to turn it back to dark brown.

It is also good for vacuuming things that would otherwise get crushed in a bag

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

If you have a whole-rear end candy shop, why not get candy shears?

"Candy Shears" aren't really a thing, unless you are talking about what they use to cut hot sheets of hard candy, which I don't do.
Otherwise you are talking about normal kitchen scissors, which aren't great at cutting the plastic piping bags.

Anne Whateley posted:

Piping bag tips can be handled with a $5 Walmart special that just gets sharpened or replaced whenever

Right, that's the problem, I just bought regular old paper scissors, which worked great at first, but now my staff is fighting with rusty sabers.
Part of the problem is that I've always folded my own bags out of pieces of parchment paper, which you can cut with pretty much any kind of scissors. But my production prefer the plastic ones, and they out voted me, so I buy those now.

I thought of a solution last night, what I really need is cuticle scissors, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Germany-STAINLESS-STRAIGHT-professional/dp/B07J9HSZW8

Although, while searching for that, I found these "garnishing snips", I think I'll buy a pair of these to try out as well.

https://www.amazon.com/OCreme-Super-Scissors-Stainless-Garnishing/dp/B083C5S8MC/

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My kitchen scissors are just two random dress-makers shears, like this: (maybe literally this)
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/korbond-dressmaking-scissors-comfort-grip-9in/p/0083803

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I use my Oxo kitchen scissors for cutting everything from plastic wrapping to chicken spines (when I'm too lazy to dig out the poultry shears). They have tiny "teeth" that keep stuff from slipping out. Granted I am not a pastry person so I have no idea of the specific challenges related to piping bags.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a few pairs of these they’re on sale right now

https://kasho-shears.com/damascus.html

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Squashy Nipples posted:

Right, that's the problem, I just bought regular old paper scissors, which worked great at first, but now my staff is fighting with rusty sabers.

Well there's the problem, tell 'em to stop putting them away wet.

Honestly, this sounds like a problem that will not be solved by quality, but instead by something cheap and cheerful. "Tough enough to put up to industrial usage" and "sharp enough to slice thin paper/plastic" tends to be opposite ends of the spectrum.

https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgnhw011057/

These are my office scissors, I imagine the titanium coating may help keep them from rusting up as quickly, but the hinge will always be the vulnerable part. You can get them in multipacks, mine were from Costco. Tell your staff to stop putting them away wet, and get some scissor hones, and they should keep in good condition for a year.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 31, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JoshGuitar posted:

First I want to make it absolutely clear that vacuum sealing with a Food Saver is not in any way a replacement for actual canning. It won't give you shelf-stable pickles or sauces, and if your dad tries to use it for that he will die. Vacuum sealing jars still has its place. I mainly do that to get a better shelf life on dry goods, or even for things I'm freezing in jars.

Specific to sealing jars, I don't see any advantage to the more expensive Food Saver. I haven't read the fine print on the other features though, so there may be something useful there. Honestly I stopped using the actual Food Saver machine to vacuum seal jars for the most part, and started using the jar attachments along with a hand vacuum pump like you'd use to bleed brakes on a car. It's more work, but still easier than pulling out a big machine to seal just one jar. If the Food Saver is already out, then yeah I'll use it. Anyway the hand vacuum pump worked fine for a while, until I discovered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6BCXB3D . It replaces the Food Saver jar attachments for not much more money, and it's super compact, convenient, and quick to use. I'm not sure I'll ever use my Food Saver for jars again now that I have this.

We also have a canning and pickling thread that may be useful: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Okay so pickling and jarring sauces is out, then. That's too bad. My dad makes his sauerkrauts using some old-school equipment one of my aunts gave him and then keeps it in mason jars, but it sounds like a vacuum sealer wouldn't extend the shelf life of that kind of stuff even then.

What Food Saver model would y'all recommend for general bag sealing and other fun poo poo?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Granted I am not a pastry person so I have no idea of the specific challenges related to piping bags.

Oh, that's a good point, I'm not piping pastry, I'm piping tempered chocolate, which is why traditional re-usable bags and tips are out.

This is what I buy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1ZGZ7V/

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well there's the problem, tell 'em to stop putting them away wet.

oops, I was being metaphorical. I do that sometimes.

They are dull, and more importantly, the rivet is loose and cannot be adjusted.

Yeah, that looks like a better quality version of what we are currently using, thank you.

bird with big dick posted:

Get a few pairs of these they’re on sale right now

https://kasho-shears.com/damascus.html

This is how you do it! If you are going to give a stupid suggestion, at least make it a link that's interesting to click on.
That's some pretty steel, there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

adjusting the rivet just requires tapping it with a hammer to tighten it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad makes his sauerkrauts using some old-school equipment one of my aunts gave him and then keeps it in mason jars, but it sounds like a vacuum sealer wouldn't extend the shelf life of that kind of stuff even then.

You can ferment in vac sealed bags (as long as you keep an eye on them). The benefit is that you don't need to submerge everything in liquid. Not so much shelf life. Once it's done, you gotta open it.

The main issue with fermentation in a sealed vessel is pressure from the CO2 released by the yeast. You can see if a bag is swollen up like a balloon. With a jar, you don't know until it explodes. That's why pickling lids for jars have some sort of airlock that can vent excess gas, which of course rules out also drawing a vacuum.

Also, it wouldn't really make the process work any better because you would still probably have to submerge everything in liquid. I dunno what kind of PSI drop a food saver can manage in a jar, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near a hard vacuum.

I. M. Gei posted:

What Food Saver model would y'all recommend for general bag sealing and other fun poo poo?

I would say make sure it can handle 11" bags, has a manual seal feature, and if you think you might want to use the jar attachment, a hose port. They all kinda work about the same otherwise until you get into vac chamber territory.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I use bail jars to ferment. If there’s enough pressure it will open the lid a tiny crack to release

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

You can ferment in vac sealed bags (as long as you keep an eye on them). The benefit is that you don't need to submerge everything in liquid. Not so much shelf life. Once it's done, you gotta open it.

The main issue with fermentation in a sealed vessel is pressure from the CO2 released by the yeast. You can see if a bag is swollen up like a balloon. With a jar, you don't know until it explodes. That's why pickling lids for jars have some sort of airlock that can vent excess gas, which of course rules out also drawing a vacuum.

Also, it wouldn't really make the process work any better because you would still probably have to submerge everything in liquid. I dunno what kind of PSI drop a food saver can manage in a jar, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near a hard vacuum.

I would say make sure it can handle 11" bags, has a manual seal feature, and if you think you might want to use the jar attachment, a hose port. They all kinda work about the same otherwise until you get into vac chamber territory.

All good info for the fermentation process, I just wanna make it clear to I. M. Gei that none of that does anything for shelf-stable storage. Vacuum sealing a ferment without heat processing wouldn't do much anyway. As long as the bacteria are alive and have food, they'll quickly fill the vacuum with their delicious farts and it'll no longer be vacuum sealed...and very quickly after that it'll be pressurized again if everything is sealed.

The other feature I mostly like on a Food Saver is storage for a roll of bags plus a bag cutter. The only reason I say "mostly" is because I buy the big off-brand rolled bags, and they're too big to store inside the Food Saver until they're half used up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I use bail jars to ferment. If there’s enough pressure it will open the lid a tiny crack to release
Yeah, wide-mouth mason jars are good fermentation vessels for small ferments (like peppers for hot sauces, pickled okra, fermented cherry tomatoes, and that kind of thing). You can get airlock lids and glass weights for them that make most ferments pretty fire-and-forget.

I've also got a bigass fermentation crock with it's own integral airlock system: the top of the crock has a circular trough that you fill with water, and a lid that's shaped a little like an inverted ashtray that you fit into the trough (with a slot that extends above the water level to serve as the carburetor or whatever you call it on a fermentation vessel). It's great for making large batches (multiple pounds) of pickles or kraut at a time.

For kimchi I usually use 8 quart cambros. I got a couple fermentation airlocks that fit into rubber stoppers, and then used a hole saw to put a hole in the lids the right size for the stoppers. That said, for kimchi you can get away with just fermenting in an unmodified cambro, because the lids don't snap on tight enough to keep a ferment from burping itself if it builds up enough pressure.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

SubG posted:

I got a couple fermentation airlocks that fit into rubber stoppers, and then used a hole saw to put a hole in the lids the right size for the stoppers.

I use ReCap lids. A #5.5 drilled stopper fits perfectly into them and they screw right in to any widemouth mason jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Pickle Pipes are what I've always used to ferment in ball jars. There are glass discs out there too if you want to weigh down whatever you are fermenting.