Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
The worst thing that can happen to a sports fan is expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kid, if you're hurt sit down

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

I rolled my eyes at the Debrincat trade but goddamn if things ain't clickin'.

You take care of him.
Precious cargo.
(Also, lol someone wanted Kubilic)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I hope the next expansion for the NHL puts a team in Milwaukee or KC instead of trying to shove more hockey into sunny southern states

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Tired: The NFC 1 seed is a fight between San Francisco and Philadelphia.
Wired: The NFC 1 seed is a fight between Philadelphia and Detroit.
Inspired: The NFC 1 seed is a fight between Detroit and Minnesota.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Giannis signed an extension :)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeSiW3w3yK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OiyNtz-Yo

Can't find the third down sack avoidance throw.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The Red Wings are on an ungodly heater at the moment, probably still not a playoff team but this start certainly helps. In my recollection things tend to go well for Detroit teams that start 5-1

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Like Love or not, one thing is certain. Joe Barry needs to go

https://x.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1716668253026574380?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

loving lmao at that first one saying "Kirk Cousins DOTS up Jordan Addison for a 60 yard TD vs 49ers"

And Not

"Kirk Cousins SLINGS INT that Jordan Addison RIPS from defender for TD."

Because that throw was hot loving garbage lmao

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Jimong5 posted:

He was trying to draw a holding penalty, and it worked. Barry is playing three dimensional chess, whatever some egghead with a drat computer says

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Dexo posted:

loving lmao at that first one saying "Kirk Cousins DOTS up Jordan Addison for a 60 yard TD vs 49ers"

And Not

"Kirk Cousins SLINGS INT that Jordan Addison RIPS from defender for TD."

Because that throw was hot loving garbage lmao

Jefferson turned an interception into one of the best catches ever so Cousins is making sure Addison gets a chance too

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JGdmn posted:

correct

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JGdmn posted:

The 2010 Packers run was a miracle, no one thought they'd accomplish anything in the playoffs.

2011 through 2022, the regular season was a given. Yeah of course Rodgers is kicking everyone's asses. Ho hum. When is the next Super Bowl coming? And now we're here.

Granted it stopped hurting (as bad) after that debacle in 2014.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JGdmn posted:

No, the worst thing that can happen to a sports fan is years and years of losing with no hope of things turning around because the issues ultimately span not from talent, coaching or management, but from ownership, for which there's no accountability except the grave, because extremely lucrative guaranteed media rights deals far outweigh even a 100% united fanbase's ability to influence a team and its bottom line. And not even the grave is a guarantee of anything because their children might be just as bad at it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
people in this thread talk about the Packers like they're the Yankees or some poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

20 Blunts posted:

people in this thread talk about the Packers like they're the Yankees or some poo poo.

A team that has very high expectations due to history and a couple recent-ish championships but in the modern era mostly just flames out when the pressure is on?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

20 Blunts posted:

They've had Hall of Fame QB play for all but loving like 4 years of my entire life lmao.

The fact that they couldn't win more than like 2 in that time frame is the only thing I can console myself with.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The worst thing that can happen to a sports fan is Matt Patricia coaching your team.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

MJeff posted:

A team that has very high expectations due to history and a couple recent-ish championships but in the modern era mostly just flames out when the pressure is on?

i mean its mostly you i guess

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

since 95, they've won the division like 15+ times IIRC.

Bears have won it 5 times.

Lions have won it what Once(might be before 95)

Vikings have won it 7 or 8 or so.

So loving yes. There is a reason why people in the North(formerly Central) talk about the Packers like we do.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 24, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

20 Blunts posted:

i mean its mostly you i guess

I am not sure what you're saying from multiple angles. I don't know what "talking about the Packers like they're the Yankees or some poo poo" is referring to, but, uh, since you brought it up, how exactly are the Packers not like the Yankees? Both teams have the most championships in history, but have only won a couple recent history, their most recent championships are even really close together (end of '09 vs. beginning of '11) and since then they've mostly done the exact same thing, put together good regular seasons and then not make it to the World Series/Super Bowl. I guess the Yankees have had fewer division titles, if that's what you're hung up on?

Parallelwoody posted:

The worst thing that can happen to a sports fan is Matt Patricia coaching your team.

Even that only lasted two and a half years and we all knew after one that he was a dead man walking.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dexo posted:

They've had Hall of Fame QB play for all but loving like 4 years of my entire life lmao.

The fact that they couldn't win more than like 2 in that time frame is the only thing I can console myself with.

Sorry, I guess with this year it's gonna be all but 5 years of my life.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dexo posted:

Sorry, I guess with this year it's gonna be all but 5 years of my life.

You Love to see it

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

MJeff posted:

No, the worst thing that can happen to a sports fan is years and years of losing with no hope of things turning around because the issues ultimately span not from talent, coaching or management, but from ownership, for which there's no accountability except the grave, because extremely lucrative guaranteed media rights deals far outweigh even a 100% united fanbase's ability to influence a team and its bottom line. And not even the grave is a guarantee of anything because their children might be just as bad at it.

I’m a Bears fan, I know this song. Not as bad as a Lions fan, though, for sure.

Which is why I watch the Bears with zero expectations. It wasn’t always this way, but there are too many other things for me to be distracted by nowadays, now it’s just bonding time with my kids, teaching them to lose with a smile and to appreciate the wins.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
tbh the team that I always think of is the Blackhawks.

And then Rocky Wirtz just turned out to be a different form of despicable, sooooo. Maybe that's actually the worst feeling as a sports fan.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

tbh the team that I always think of is the Blackhawks.

And then Rocky Wirtz just turned out to be a different form of despicable, sooooo. Maybe that's actually the worst feeling as a sports fan.

The best thing that can happen to your team is the owner dies.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Caleb Williams deciding to start sucking to avoid being drafted by the Bears is a genius move.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

:hmmyes:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

since 95, they've won the division like 15+ times IIRC.

Bears have won it 5 times.

Lions have won it what Once(might be before 95)

Vikings have won it 7 or 8 or so.

So loving yes. There is a reason why people in the North(formerly Central) talk about the Packers like we do.

here's that ugly chart I made for this

Packers have won the division 15/29 seasons. Only finished 4th once, and 3rd 5 times. Yes, they are the modern yankees of the NFC north. a lot better than that, actually.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 24, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HootTheOwl posted:

Not all the time. I miss Mike Illitch. :smith:

His son suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

here's that ugly chart I made for this

smh no bucs

edit: drat I could have sworn the bucs won the Central more than once in 99.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 24, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

HootTheOwl posted:

It's worked well for the Blackhawks twice, and I'm gonna call the death of print media as the reason the Tribune company sold the Cubs shortly before they won the World Series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The 2023 version will have one teeny tiny little blue nub in 1st place, so help me god.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

smh no bucs

edit: drat I could have sworn the bucs won the Central more than once in 99.

the bucs stunk. iirc i just removed them from the chart and bumped everyone else up a spot but i'm not gonna go back through my effort from 6 months ago

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's worked well for the Blackhawks twice, and I'm gonna call the death of print media as the reason the Tribune company sold the Cubs shortly before they won the World Series.

Hey, the death of Butkiss beat the commanders...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Praying for both owners of the Bears to die tbh

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jimong5 posted:

honestly this is not just a Joe Barry thing, it's a Packers thing at this point

to be specific, it's a defensive philosophy and roster construction issue that has been consistent through the latter capers tenure, the pettine tenure, and the barry tenure - they're addicted to super lightweight nickle and dime packages on defense to the point it has to be considered an institutional issue.

pretty much the last decade and a half they've been rostering maybe 5 down linemen and dressing like 4, sometimes as few as 3. They had reasonable D-line depth in 2010 but started going super light immediately afterward - got away with it for a bit because of how good and huge Raji was.

For all you can say about it being a passing league where speed is at a premium, good organizations that take building from the trenches seriously don't go to this extreme. Philadelphia has like 7 true down linemen rostered right now, not counting small defensive ends who other teams would give the EDGE label.

edit: I just checked and saw the Packers do in fact have a lot of big bodies rostered on D right now, but that definitely hasn't been the norm recently and I think the associated attitude is still present

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

honestly this is not just a Joe Barry thing, it's a Packers thing at this point

to be specific, it's a defensive philosophy and roster construction issue thing that has been consistent through the latter capers tenure, the pettine tenure, and the barry tenure - they're addicted to super lightweight nickle and dime packages on defense to the point it has to be considered an institutional issue.

It almost feels like they're chasing the Nick Collins/Clay Matthews ideal. Blazers who can pop up anywhere on the field and snatch the ball away to give the offense a bonus shot at rolling down the field to score.

Look how they ('re trying to) use Quay Walker and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

20 Blunts posted:

It's not so much the team as the fanbase. That same sense of entitlement, the same insipid smugness about poo poo that happened when my grandpa was in short pants, the same clinging to manufactured history, the same misguided moronic faith, and the exact same sense that if they lost it somehow wasn't their fault.

I mean if you took that fat guy from the Yankee video shouting gently caress you at everyone and shopped a green and gold G on it, nobody would bat an eye. At least New York City has some modicum of culture, art and dining, all Green Bay has is pork, obesity and alcoholism. Police brutality aside, of course.

I'd love to see a postcount of fans being negative about their own team sorted by fanbase. My gut feeling is that it would be like %65, %75, %85 and %10.