Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I don’t have much issue with the Packers offense they are having the growing pains you would expect. The Packers D does need a change up at this point but we are riding that train to the end it would seem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Maybe Bill is just fine

Ron Rivera on the other hand, he toast

It's unfortunate that Bill apparently gets to dine out on beating Zach Wilson and an extremely fraudulent Buffalo team (who also lost to Zach!), but so it goes

I don't know why anyone, up to including Ron Rivera himself, would think he was going to be employed next season. The bigger discussion is the offense (and OL specifically) sucking rear end under offensive genius Eric Bienemy. I mean he wasn't handed a stacked deck to work with but Howell is on pace to destroy the David Carr sack record. Maybe I'm crazy but I think part of running a good offense is not using your QB to dig a hole to the center of the earth over the course of 17 weeks

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 23, 2023

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Howell kind of sucks along with the line sucking. There's only so much suck you can compensate for.

There's no way in hell Rivera thinks he's employed after the season. Dude openly thought he would be done after last year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Howell kind of sucks along with the line sucking. There's only so much suck you can compensate for.

There's no way in hell Rivera thinks he's employed after the season. Dude openly thought he would be done after last year.

Washington should have won today but it didn't help a receiver dropped a catchable ball on a 4th and manageable. Howell will hold the ball until he gets loving levelled too which is big balls but bad for longevity. It's kind of hard to blame Bienemy, or Howell or the line or Rivera.

I've said before Rivera is just a good solid coach who's not elite in any facet. He'll turn around a dogshit joke of a franchise but he's not winning you a superbowl or winning with consistency. He'd be fine to like - go to the Raiders and unfuck them, get them back to being competitive etc but I wouldn't exactly be in a rush to hire him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He did not turn around the Commies though. They’re still a bad team. Losing Snyder is not on him.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s a QB league and they are playing functionally a rookie. You would like for them to start out like Strout is but realistically how likely is that

Welcome to Falcons Fandom.

That being said, heads may roll in Green Bay but Smith is safe this year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Other than holding the ball too long, Howell is doing great considering the OL in front of him is pure garbage. On most plays he has a solid 1 second to finish his drop, make his read, and throw the ball before he gets hit. Most of his throws look good considering the circumstances and it seems like he can make a good read, but its the classic "its hard to say because he is constantly running for his life and getting sacked too often to be sure".

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Diva Cupcake posted:

He did not turn around the Commies though. They’re still a bad team. Losing Snyder is not on him.

On the other hand, this is now the second owner who has been ousted while Rivera is the coach, Maybe Rivera is secretly an owners grim reaper. Which team needs to hire him next? Browns? Chargers?

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Black Sunshine posted:

Getting shithoused by one of the worst teams in the league starting a nobody at QB won't even matter because Mark Davis doesn't give a single gently caress about winning anyway.

McD has to be in the running for one of the worst head coaches in NFL history. He lost to the Jeff Saturday Colts team, an injury plagued Rams team starting Baker Mayfield who had like 3 days to read the playbook and just got absolutely smashed by a team who was objectively in the top 2 worst teams in the league this year.

He's so loving bad!

McDaniels with the Raiders is 5-0 against the Broncos and Patriots, and 4-15 against everyone else.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

solarjetman posted:

McDaniels with the Raiders is 5-0 against the Broncos and Patriots, and 4-15 against everyone else.

I wish we could beat the Broncos and Patriots consistently because wow I really hate those teams!

*monkeys paw curls*

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So based on those win numbers, the Chargers need to hire McDaniels. That way they at least get 4 division wins a year.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 23, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BlindSite posted:

Washington should have won today but it didn't help a receiver dropped a catchable ball on a 4th and manageable. Howell will hold the ball until he gets loving levelled too which is big balls but bad for longevity. It's kind of hard to blame Bienemy, or Howell or the line or Rivera.

I've said before Rivera is just a good solid coach who's not elite in any facet. He'll turn around a dogshit joke of a franchise but he's not winning you a superbowl or winning with consistency. He'd be fine to like - go to the Raiders and unfuck them, get them back to being competitive etc but I wouldn't exactly be in a rush to hire him.
I would argue that that's worse. A total rebuild can get bottom of the barrel teams into championship contention in no time, but mediocrity has inertia. You've got some bright spots, but your roster is mostly dudes who are good but not great. But they still need to get paid, and that cap space fills up bit by bit, and meanwhile where are you getting new good players from if you're drafting from the lower middle of the pack year after year, and you're not gonna trade your good players because they're good and why trade that for an unsure thing, and next thing you know it's been ten years and you've won the division twice and gotten bumped out in the wild card round both times.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Other than holding the ball too long, Howell is doing great considering the OL in front of him is pure garbage. On most plays he has a solid 1 second to finish his drop, make his read, and throw the ball before he gets hit. Most of his throws look good considering the circumstances and it seems like he can make a good read, but its the classic "its hard to say because he is constantly running for his life and getting sacked too often to be sure".

getting sacked too often is fully on him though. he's been sacked enough - and taken enough huge hits even on completions - that at this point he's got to be throwing it away. a 0 yard gain is better than any loss, even before considering the possibility of a fumble or injury with how often he's being sacked

if you need a consistent >3 seconds of a clean pocket, you're just not a starting QB. I’m not sure of any examples of guys who held onto the ball too long and eventually fixed it, but without a change by Howell it's a fatal flaw. but even with no improvement to his game whatsoever he should be set for a 10 year backup career just based on what he's put on tape

e: and while in other situations I'd consider blaming the OC, we know Bienemy has plenty of experience designing plays and gameplans based on fast throws given how the Chiefs' offense evolved with Mahomes. so maybe he's calling a ton of plays that don't have quick reads or safety valves? but I doubt it

indigi fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 23, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am convinced that the next Chargers head coach will be Bobby Slowik or Ben Johnson

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

a neat cape posted:

I am convinced that the next Chargers head coach will be Bobby Slowik or Ben Johnson

Look in your heart. You know the truth. It'll be Mike Macdonald.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

more like... robby slowik...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

Would you be happy/neutral/unhappy if they made Moore the HC?

Also, broadly, how has Moore been for your offense?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

a neat cape posted:

Brady Hoke might be looking for employment soon

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Would you be happy/neutral/unhappy if they made Moore the HC?

Also, broadly, how has Moore been for your offense?

I would not mind at all if they made Moore HC.

The offense has looked better than Lombardi, particularly in the red zone. It's giving Herbert the ability to change plays at the line, which he never had the ability to do before. Obviously losing Mike Williams hurts, and I think Herbert is still growing into the offense. The lack of targets to Quinton Johnston is maddening when you see how open he's getting on tape, and the running game looks better but still not great.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rectal Placenta posted:

Brady Hoke might be looking for employment soon

I'm going to murder you for putting this in the universe

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh the chargers should make Moore the HC right now.

Theyre in a lame duck season and it shows.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I agree. Do the necessary and make Moore the head coach.

Surprised to hear that QJ has such good separation and yet is not getting targets. You’d think Herbie would be all about that.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I'm sure Jeff Fisher is ready to return to LA

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I agree. Do the necessary and make Moore the head coach.

Surprised to hear that QJ has such good separation and yet is not getting targets. You’d think Herbie would be all about that.

I think Herbert is kind of locked in on Keenan Allen and to a lesser degree Josh Palmer, who has been stepping up in the wake of Mike Williams' injury.

Problem is QJ is usually the third or fourth progression and the OL isn't giving Herbert the time to get to him.

This was from yesterday. QJ is at the bottom of the screen.

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1716592691814056412

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

CapnAndy posted:

I would argue that that's worse. A total rebuild can get bottom of the barrel teams into championship contention in no time, but mediocrity has inertia. You've got some bright spots, but your roster is mostly dudes who are good but not great. But they still need to get paid, and that cap space fills up bit by bit, and meanwhile where are you getting new good players from if you're drafting from the lower middle of the pack year after year, and you're not gonna trade your good players because they're good and why trade that for an unsure thing, and next thing you know it's been ten years and you've won the division twice and gotten bumped out in the wild card round both times.
Enough about the seahawks

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

it’s weird that Staley played quarterback in college then became a defensive genius coach for exactly one season

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Can’t discount the difficulty of having a good defense when you only have prime Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey to work with.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Enough about the seahawks

Pretty much. Except we're still close enough to the legion of boom and rwbs that there's probably more than two division titles.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Diva Cupcake posted:

Can’t discount the difficulty of having a good defense when you only have prime Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey to work with.

i do typically agree with this but it is interesting how the Rams were #1 in the league under Staley's tutelage and ranked in the bottom half the year before and after despite having Donald and Ramsey both years. maybe a Rams fan can explain more on why this was the case cause i do not remember what was different besides Staley

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So what does Ron Rivera do when he's fired? Seems like too much of an established big shot to go back to being a coordinator.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
He's 61 years old, this might just be it for him

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Benne posted:

He's 61 years old, this might just be it for him

Plenty of time to turn around the Bears.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bears could do worse.

And they probably will.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

epic bacon posted:

i do typically agree with this but it is interesting how the Rams were #1 in the league under Staley's tutelage and ranked in the bottom half the year before and after despite having Donald and Ramsey both years. maybe a Rams fan can explain more on why this was the case cause i do not remember what was different besides Staley

I think on some level you had good timing where the Vic Fangio stuff was a curveball on the way offenses were run around the league and his timing taking over a talented unit was particularly good.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ron Rivera will sit in the studio for a couple years, do a bunch of USAA commercials, then come out of retirement to coach the broncos or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm gonna guess cushy analyst gig.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
He seems like a small-town mayor type, so I'm gonna go with that

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

epic bacon posted:

They only had Ramsey half the year in 2019 and added Leonard Floyd and A’Shawn Robinson in the offseason. The big thing was the scheme though, Wade Phillips didn't really want to move on from his system and McVay wanted the Fangio stuff that was kicking his rear end so much. The most impressive part of what Staley did in 2020 was because of Covid the entirety of installs was done on video calls and they were able to get the entire defense up to speed on the scheme with pretty much no in person practice.

Not sure what the gently caress happened to him with the Chargers.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

epic bacon posted:

There’s a few interesting quirks about that season

- It was 2020
- First year with Jalen Ramsey, and they traded two of their other CBs away in the off season
- Last year with Goff and a more plodding offense

The team just looked very different in 2020 and played a more conservative offense with Goff so they got in a lot more low scoring games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

He seems like a small-town mayor type, so I'm gonna go with that

He'll introduce a grant for a Community College to develop an actuarial program. He will achieve his dream nickname of Analytical Ron