Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Even dedicated Congress watchers are shrugging. We're beyond the circular firing squad into a full out battle royale with bump stock equipped AR15s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

The Last Call posted:

If it's largely the same eight causing the problem and causing history to repeat, maybe the GOP should take care of the actual problem.

Crazy thought.

If I was the GOP I'd seriously consider expelling one or two as an example to coax the others into stop torpedoing poo poo.

And since Gaetz started it....

It would be so easy to kick gaetz's rear end to the curb too

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is there any solution outside of:

A) All the 'moderate' R's capitulate completely to the HFC and we get someone like Jordan or a less-known nutjob like Donalds or something.
B) Somebody like Emmer makes a deal with the dems.

It seems like A is honestly much more likely?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kw0134 posted:

The recess is so Emmer can individually work with the holdouts because (reportedly) he's not going to bring it to the floor until he can get to 217. The question is what happens when he doesn't get 217 as it's obvious the divisions that doomed the first two tries at resolving this shitshow are still there.

Good news from the :lol: department! It's a whole new set of divisions working against Emmer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Rescue Toaster posted:

A) All the 'moderate' R's capitulate completely to the HFC and we get someone like Jordan or a less-known nutjob like Donalds or something.

the HFC is a minority in the GOP. Giving them everything they want is just going to piss off the moderates and you're back to square one

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Imagine being in a party where everyone hates each other and are so loving looney that they can’t figure out a leader.

Utterly amazing that McCarthy was able to get Speakership and hold on to it until he actually did some legislative work with the democrats which made the crazies mad.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think the ‘moderates’ are making a stand here. They won’t cave, not enough of them anyways; neither will HFC, again not enough at least.

In a week or two they will just have to go to the dems because literally no one will get enough votes.

Or everything shuts down and we descend into anarchy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

well this will make things better...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is there any benefit to Dems voting for Emmer at this point? Emmer obviously wants to work with them across the aisle. Dems would be sending a clear message they are on board. The Dems would also be giving the BIGGEST FU to HFC no voters.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Blind Rasputin posted:

Emmer obviously wants to work with them across the aisle.

You sure about that ding-dong?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Ringo Star Get posted:

Imagine being in a party where everyone hates each other and are so loving looney that they can’t figure out a leader.

Utterly amazing that McCarthy was able to get Speakership and hold on to it until he actually did some legislative work with the democrats which made the crazies mad.

Two people(?) voted present on a *secret* ballot. There's no way they can stop hating each other and themselves for long enough to get someone over the finish line.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is there any benefit to Dems voting for Emmer at this point? Emmer obviously wants to work with them across the aisle. Dems would be sending a clear message they are on board. The Dems would also be giving the BIGGEST FU to HFC no voters.

Having a (semi-) functional government?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1716882350464733641

Trump is going after Emmer now... RINO!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's incredibly bullshit that Donalds wasn't McDonalds guy like have some loving decency

loving making us remember all their store brand WASP name and gimmick

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

kw0134 posted:

The recess is so Emmer can individually work with the holdouts because (reportedly) he's not going to bring it to the floor until he can get to 217. The question is what happens when he doesn't get 217 as it's obvious the divisions that doomed the first two tries at resolving this shitshow are still there.

Surely a 3-man double elimination round-robin secret ballot runoff will fix this

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Reading Trump posts makes me feel like I’m looking at a TV Tropes page.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hi this should count as witness intimidation since it directly impacts his criminal proceedings. donald trump is actively orchestrating and attempting another coup of power in the united states.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It's crazy that this total poo poo show is finding ways to show more poo poo.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol Grandma is saying all the Republicans in congress are worthless and don't care about anyone but themselves. Great optics there guys.

Side not I'd been resisting believing it but wow the party really is broken and now if they elect Emmer it's a slap in the face to their leading presidential candidate.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Lmao

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1716883268359106743

Jesus tap dancing christ, someone is literally going to try and choke him to death.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

Just for fun I'm trying to read this in the mindset of someone who loooooooves TRUMP and thinks the Democrats are the evil babyeating empire and MAGA is our only hope for restoring light and truth and justice to this world of slavery and evil. Like a mindset where "RINO" is like "Blue Dog" or "centrist" to us, where "globalist" is equivalent to "warmonger" or "corporate shill", and where saying "defending Ilhan Omar" is equivalent to saying "defending Osama bin Laden". Where a "warrior" is someone willing to make personal sacrifices and take personal risks in service of fighting the good fight against some perceived shadowy force that has all of America in thrall from the top down.

And even doing that doesn't make any of this poo poo sound any more like what "the good guy" would say! It asks us to buy into the central idea that the only laudable thing is to be LOYAL and PRO-TRUMP. He brags about "the Power of a Trump Endorsement!!" which sounds bonkers no matter how in the bag you are for the person saying it.

The mind of a person who is in the intended audience for this kind of thing is beyond my comprehension

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
US Republican Senator Jeff Wilson arrested over carrying gun into Hong Kong, barred from leaving city

Jeff Wilson, a Washington state Republican senator, reportedly called the police on journalists who photographed him as he walked out of the courthouse on Monday.

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/10/24/us-republican-senator-jeff-wilson-arrested-over-carrying-gun-into-hong-kong-barred-from-leaving-city/

Jeff Wilson, a Republican senator from Washington state, appeared at Shatin Magistrates’ Courts on Monday following his Saturday arrest. He was released on a cash bail of HK$20,000 and ordered to hand over his travel documents and not to leave Hong Kong, local media reported.

Sing Tao Daily reported that Wilson, as well as his wife and two men who were with him, got into an altercation with reporters who took photos of him as he was leaving the courthouse. The police were called, with Wilson’s group demanding reporters delete the photos saying Wilson had not consented to being photographed.

Police arrived on the scene to mediate, as Wilson and his wife threatened to photograph the reporters in retaliation.

Wilson is scheduled to appear at West Kowloon Magistrates’ Courts next Monday.

Carrying arms without a license is punishable by up to 14 years in jail and a fine of HK$100,000, but cases heard at magistrates courts see a maximum jail term of two years for a single offence.

Under the US Transportation Security Administration’s restrictions, firearms cannot be taken in carry-on bags on international or domestic flights. They can be checked in, but the carrier must ensure they are packed in a container and declared to the airline while checking in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Reading Trump posts makes me feel like I’m looking at a TV Tropes page.

that or his own seperate wiki.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

trump is gonna be holding the republicans hostage for decades after his death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Buce posted:

trump is gonna be holding the republicans hostage for decades after his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero_Redivivus_legend
yep

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kazil posted:

He's cooked 🍴

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol @ an american complaining about consent for surveillance in chinese controlled territory.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The Last Call posted:

US Republican Senator Jeff Wilson arrested over carrying gun into Hong Kong, barred from leaving city

Jeff Wilson, a Washington state Republican senator, reportedly called the police on journalists who photographed him as he walked out of the courthouse on Monday.

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/10/24/us-republican-senator-jeff-wilson-arrested-over-carrying-gun-into-hong-kong-barred-from-leaving-city/

Jeff Wilson, a Republican senator from Washington state, appeared at Shatin Magistrates’ Courts on Monday following his Saturday arrest. He was released on a cash bail of HK$20,000 and ordered to hand over his travel documents and not to leave Hong Kong, local media reported.

Sing Tao Daily reported that Wilson, as well as his wife and two men who were with him, got into an altercation with reporters who took photos of him as he was leaving the courthouse. The police were called, with Wilson’s group demanding reporters delete the photos saying Wilson had not consented to being photographed.

Police arrived on the scene to mediate, as Wilson and his wife threatened to photograph the reporters in retaliation.

Carrying arms without a license is punishable by up to 14 years in jail and a fine of HK$100,000, but cases heard at magistrates courts see a maximum jail term of two years for a single offence.

Under the US Transportation Security Administration’s restrictions, firearms cannot be taken in carry-on bags on international or domestic flights. They can be checked in, but the carrier must ensure they are packed in a container and declared to the airline while checking in.

ok that's just baffling

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Last Call posted:

He brought a gun into Hong Kong? The gently caress is wrong with this guy? Doesn't he know it's a kung fu city?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I would not be surprised if we get a case on whether murder is protected by the Speech and Debate Clause by the end of this because I'm pretty sure everyone at this point in the Republican conference wants to kill Matt Gaetz

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Lol Grandma is saying all the Republicans in congress are worthless and don't care about anyone but themselves. Great optics there guys.

Side not I'd been resisting believing it but wow the party really is broken and now if they elect Emmer it's a slap in the face to their leading presidential candidate.

my dad loving hates the party now and basically feels abadnoned. he was always the "big govement taxes too much and over regulates too much and etc", but with his job i can kinda see it epsically with local poo poo, but the GOP is just loving nuts and just wants to burn poo poo down.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

He brought a gun into Hong Kong? The gently caress is wrong with this guy? Doesn't he know it's a kung fu city?

A gun fool in a gung fu town

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

We’re all RINOs down here!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

It asks us to buy into the central idea that the only laudable thing is to be LOYAL and PRO-TRUMP.

The mind of a person who is in the intended audience for this kind of thing is beyond my comprehension

Trump thinks he is a mafia don and the only value a lower level mook has to the don is to be loyal

He rubbed elbows with mafia for literal decades. He brought a mafioso to wrestlemania 4(being held in trump plaza in atlantic city) as his special guest

Part of the reason he doesnt understand why he is facing consequences is because everything he ever did is normal in the mafia

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GolfHole posted:

hi this should count as witness intimidation since it directly impacts his criminal proceedings. donald trump is actively orchestrating and attempting another coup of power in the united states.
I’ve informed Seth

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/realannapaulina/status/1716883229322719673
god they are all just so loving stupid

"Naming another loser hasn't worked the last four times, but maybe it will this time!"

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
:byodood: vacate the Speaker!
:byodood: nobody but Jordan is good enough!
:byodood: fine, I'll back Emmer.
:yooge: gently caress Emmer
:byodood: better listen to the man!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

i no-poo poo forgot for a sec that trump was even running for president again. like, it's all just insane white noise at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Matt Gaetz is the hero the Republican party deserves, not the one it needs.