Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Sagebrush posted:

elon musk is personally constantly terrified that people are going to assassinate him.

he should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hadlock posted:

That's what happens when you hire 20 year old engineers in california who have never shot a gun before to test how "bullet proof" your car is. Because setting up a private gun range in los angeles is no small feat. You take the energy imparted on a surface using a 5.95mm bullet, then using the pneumatic cannon you have on hand, figure out what size stainless steel ball bearing and at what velocity you need to fire it at to "simulate" a gun shot. Gives you a highly repeatable test with no permits needed, but.. also you could have just driven it to Nevada and done it that way.

This is all factually wrong and utter gibberish. Stop pretending you know anything about what you're talking about.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is all factually wrong and utter gibberish. Stop pretending you know anything about what you're talking about.

They're right that it would be easier to just drive to Nevada if you want to shoot up a car for whatever reason.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Yeah but that means hiring a flat bed to get the cybertruck out there and back

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Safety Dance posted:

They're right that it would be easier to just drive to Nevada if you want to shoot up a car for whatever reason.

That's assuming the Cybrtk can even make it to Nevada under its own power.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Cybertruk is being prototype tested and built in Texas

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

elon musk is personally constantly terrified that people are going to assassinate him.

Not terrified enough

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

freelop posted:

Yeah but that means hiring a flat bed to get the cybertruck out there and back

Lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

Well, yeah. He’s a billionaire rear end in a top hat.
Mind you, if anyone *was* trying, I’m pretty sure it would be done by now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Cybertruk is being prototype tested and built in Texas

Then it should be no problem to shoot the poo poo out of it. Trust me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a solid marketing tactic when you're selling mainly to people who expect to drive through a hail of gunfire on their way to the store because the news says so.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Hadlock posted:

you could have just driven it to Nevada

Given the videos of it moving under its own power, probably not

e:fb dammit, we were all thinking it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I get that a lot of people don't like Elon but geez man

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Well, yeah. He’s a billionaire rear end in a top hat.
Mind you, if anyone *was* trying, I’m pretty sure it would be done by now.

Not possible ever since he banned the assassination coordinates from xitter!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not terrified enough

:hmmyes:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Did anyone else play Lethal Enforcers in the Sega Genesis (or maybe it was Sega CD). On one of the levels you were shooting at a car that was chasing you, I think, and could aim for the gas cap to set the car on fire.

Presumably in a remake, you could aim for the battery pack of a Tesla to achieve the same results.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ah, a decorum-poster.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Then it should be no problem to shoot the poo poo out of it. Trust me.

Exactly my point. Talk about a shooting range in Cali or Nevada was just dumb

The present stream of Muskchat (Tesla shittin is fine) isnt great. Move on please

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

When you fire automatic weapons the tendency is for the point of aim to climb, the dings on the cybertruck are suspiciously evenly distributed around the doors.

Also I'm sure even pistol rounds would have gone straight through, I've only shot at cars with rifle and MG calibres but the bodywork offers zero protection.

This simulation shows 9mm going straight through
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PJEzadWq0

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I don’t believe anything Elon says, and beyond that, those “bullet” marks are like a kid’s idea of what shooting at a car looks like. Armored cars have Kevlar or some other sort of protection inside the door.

Hell, a .22 will go through a car door with a straight shot. It will probably lose enough energy piercing the outer metal that it might not go through the inner skin and door panel, but it won’t leave just a dimple. And that’s just the least powerful popular commercial caliber out there.

In fact, I have an old Miata door in the garage. I should try this with various calibers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I don’t believe anything Elon says, and beyond that, those “bullet” marks are like a kid’s idea of what shooting at a car looks like. Armored cars have Kevlar or some other sort of protection inside the door.

Hell, a .22 will go through a car door with a straight shot. It will probably lose enough energy piercing the outer metal that it might not go through the inner skin and door panel, but it won’t leave just a dimple. And that’s just the least powerful popular commercial caliber out there.

In fact, I have an old Miata door in the garage. I should try this with various calibers.

Armored trucks for banks and poo poo mostly still use aluminum armor, iirc

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

knox_harrington posted:

When you fire automatic weapons the tendency is for the point of aim to climb, the dings on the cybertruck are suspiciously evenly distributed around the doors.

Also I'm sure even pistol rounds would have gone straight through, I've only shot at cars with rifle and MG calibres but the bodywork offers zero protection.

The better question is what common bullet wouldn't penetrate ~1/8" of stainless? I know that .22lr can penetrate a plate of 18g cold roll

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

eat the rich

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cybertruk is supposably 3mm of 301 stainless which hardened correctly shooould(?) stop a 9mm? Maaaaybe?

3mm stainless is over three-four times the thickness of usual steel used in cars - hell thats still twice the thickness of steel used in ye olde cars and could not possibly comply with any kind of crumple zone and as well no loving wonder Tesla are reportedly in a tizzy about the excess weight of the drat thing.

Weight is the enemy of EV range and they just gave the stupid thing a lump of useless lard

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cybertruk is supposably 3mm of 301 stainless which hardened correctly shooould(?) stop a 9mm? Maaaaybe?

3mm stainless is over three-four times the thickness of usual steel used in cars - hell thats still twice the thickness of steel used in ye olde cars and could not possibly comply with any kind of crumple zone and as well no loving wonder Tesla are reportedly in a tizzy about the excess weight of the drat thing.

Weight is the enemy of EV range and they just gave the stupid thing a lump of useless lard

I wasn’t aware that it’s supposed to be 3mm. That’s pretty drat thick.

Corners will be cut and materials will be skimped on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I wasn’t aware that it’s supposed to be 3mm. That’s pretty drat thick.

Corners will be cut and materials will be skimped on.

Elon wanted 10 microns of accuracy. Lmao.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Hell yeah I want a truck that is almost bulletproof! All of the cons and none of the pros!

Musk really pushing the American spirit of pointless huge trucks with this one, bless him!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh yeah, there's a gently caress off massive battery in that thing. No way they actually shot at it and risked lighting it on fire

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Door Frame posted:

The better question is what common bullet wouldn't penetrate ~1/8" of stainless? I know that .22lr can penetrate a plate of 18g cold roll

.22 short subsonics?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’d think .22lr quiet/suppressor would still go through, but .22 short or colibri I doubt. I wouldn’t call those last two “common” though, not like .22lr.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It might not be as popular as .22lr, but I can find .22 short in like just about any hardware store or sports shop in Canada that sells anything remotely gun related.

Well except princess auto. They sell a bunch of gun related poo poo, but no "firearms" that aren't BB or pellet guns.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah you can find it easily, but just in terms of production numbers and even availability of firearms it’s no .22lr. I couldn’t find short production figures in a cursory search but LR is over 2 billion rounds a year. I’ve got a couple dozen .22 weapons and only the revolvers and the lever action will do more than one round of short without loading each round manually.

Maybe I’ll grab a box of shorts and try them in one of the revolvers against the Miata door as well.

None of this makes me want to buy a Cybertruck in any capacity but I do like the idea of shooting one.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Paintballs on .020 alu?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/L05cU0P.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

18ga is less than half as thick as 1/8". 0.048 vs 0.125.

3mm is just slightly thinner -- 0.118".

Stainless steel is a stupid choice for armor plating in general. Yeah it can be bulletproof if it's thick enough, but it's weaker and more expensive than regular carbon steel, heavier than aluminum or titanium or kevlar.

The only reason the cybertruck is made of stainless steel, the only reason it's claimed to be bulletproof, is because Elon thanks stainless steel is cool and he's terrified of being shot. It's Homer Simpson's car if Homer was a ritalin-addicted 13 year old edgelord dork.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 24, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know what they're going for here but it's clear that all the dudes involved are stupid loving tools. I'm with you, ladies

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

knox_harrington posted:

That’s an armor piercing round.

If the real truck was really shot, I’d assume it was with 9mm frangible training rounds.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

18ga is less than half as thick as 1/8". 0.048 vs 0.125.

3mm is just slightly thinner -- 0.118".

Stainless steel is a stupid choice for armor plating in general. Yeah it can be bulletproof if it's thick enough, but it's weaker and more expensive than regular carbon steel, heavier than aluminum or titanium or kevlar.

The only reason the cybertruck is made of stainless steel, the only reason it's claimed to be bulletproof, is because Elon thanks stainless steel is cool and he's terrified of being shot. It's Homer Simpson's car if Homer was a ritalin-addicted 13 year old edgelord dork.

I was thinking 16g, which is only like .25mm thicker, but we're on the same page for the material being a bad choice for armor. 1060 isn't twice as durable stainless, but if plinking rounds can penetrate carbon steel with decent hardness and ductility, what's going to happen when stronger rounds hit a plate of of much less ductile material meant for corrosion resistance and hardness? Sounds like best case scenario for a thick enough plate is a non-pen with internal spalling to me, and only having kevlar for sound deadening could protect occupants from that
Unless they manage to hit a window with a high velocity baseball :v:

Also, how do you fix stainless body panels in the first place? It work hardens easily and isn't particularly ductile, so a bigger dent will likely never be made flat again. You can really easily cook out the alloys if your gas coverage isn't good enough or you can't control the heat, so cutting and welding is a pain. And without primer or filler you can't fudge an imperfect repair that would look fine with a coat or two of paint. Do you really have to replace the whole thing?

E: is that why the plate is so thick, so you can grind out scratches? Commuting and parking lots are going to make those things look terrible with scratches, and I get bothered enough by the scratches and marks on the SS fridge doors in my kitchen

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 24, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
California DMV suspends Cruise’s self-driving car permits, effective immediately.

Not sure if this is the right thread because self-driving cars loving suck so them getting kicked off the roads of my state probably qualifies as Awesome Car Stuff, but then again the cars themselves are Terrible Car Stuff. :iiaca:?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

California DMV suspends Cruise’s self-driving car permits, effective immediately.

Not sure if this is the right thread because self-driving cars loving suck so them getting kicked off the roads of my state probably qualifies as Awesome Car Stuff, but then again the cars themselves are Terrible Car Stuff. :iiaca:?

quote:

The DMV on Tuesday said it provided Cruise with a guide to apply for the permits to be reinstated, according to the department, but it would not approve such an appeal unless Cruise fulfills the requirements “to the department’s satisfaction.”

Necessary development based on running over a pedestrian... last week? Two weeks ago? DMV has been remarkably even handed with this so far

quote:

The DMV on Tuesday said it provided Cruise with a guide to apply for the permits to be reinstated, according to the department, but it would not approve such an appeal unless Cruise fulfills the requirements “to the department’s satisfaction.”

Looks like it was Oct 3: https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-woman-injured-pedestrian-crash-cruise/13857047/

Based on the video sounds like a human-piloted car hit a pedestrian and launched them into the air, and then the autonomous car ran over her despite trying to brake real hard :stare: I guess she survived but haven't heard that part. Oh here is Cruise's summary

https://twitter.com/Cruise/status/1709114532042576305

Autonomous cars are scary but I'm cautiously optimistic they'll have fewer (and less severe) accidents over the long term starting in the 2030s

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Hadlock posted:

Autonomous cars are scary but I'm cautiously optimistic they'll have fewer (and less severe) accidents over the long term starting in the 2030s

hahahaha