Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

This is meant to be realistic. :P (joking! yeah, libraries are not in this game that I can see).

Yea, although there are library attachments to some education buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Zoobtro posted:

running fine, don't enjoy the radio people speaking

Public service announcement: You can skip the incredibly annoying radio speaking bits by mousing over the radio icon in the bottom right and clicking the "next" button until the music comes back.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The first interchange sucks, 1 lane offramp?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Excited to hop on after work, gonna crank everything up to ultra high then post on Reddit about how lazy the devs are

partially jk, I pre-ordered, but this launch does sound better than the OG Cities: Skylines at least

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Someone let us know if this pops achievements when loading in.

Also, hour and half to go! I can’t wait to make my GPU cry.

Yes, it gives you all the achievements.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Why do all my commercial districts say they need more customers? I haven't been overbuilding it. Also why do my people demand high density residential when I haven't unlocked it?

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

Public service announcement: You can skip the incredibly annoying radio speaking bits by mousing over the radio icon in the bottom right and clicking the "next" button until the music comes back.

Guy pronouncing epitome phonetically as ep-i-tōm (like a big book) gave me a chuckle.

Also very early on with a 1060 I'm able to play at 25 fps with everything on low and a bunch of stuff turned off. We'll see how that goes as the city grows but I'm probably mostly going to have to shelve this til a optimization update or updating my own computer.

Other notes are that I still hate the pre-laid highways and stuff, especially when you don't really have the tools unlocked to adjust them.

Also, definitely recommend messing with chat gpt to get it to generate detailed city history, back-story, and historical figures. Makes naming streets and neighborhoods fun.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why do all my commercial districts say they need more customers?
People in videos I watched over the weekend say it’s a bug and they operate fine.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
The primary school add-on is…a children’s rehab clinic? Is that a thing in Europe?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Which graphical setting affects the shimmering of trees? Trees shimmer like a motherfucker and I don't know how to stop it. There's maybe a 100 settings in the game.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Also very early on with a 1060 I'm able to play at 25 fps with everything on low and a bunch of stuff turned off. We'll see how that goes as the city grows but I'm probably mostly going to have to shelve this til a optimization update or updating my own computer.

Ah, that's decided it then, I'm gonna hold off on this until I upgrade my PC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The worst feature so far is loving everything you do takes you into the white infoview where you can't see poo poo. I don't need this for zoning, thanks. It's occasionally useful for setting up transit routes and that's about it.

You can turn it off but you can't toggle, so you have to turn it off every single time you change tools.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also why do my people demand high density residential when I haven't unlocked it?

high density has lower rent

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Snowmanatee posted:

The primary school add-on is…a children’s rehab clinic? Is that a thing in Europe?

Huh? It's just a normal clinic, like an urgent care. It doesn't say anything about rehab lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

how do i avoid the people complaining about high rent?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

The worst feature so far is loving everything you do takes you into the white infoview where you can't see poo poo. I don't need this for zoning, thanks. It's occasionally useful for setting up transit routes and that's about it.

You can turn it off but you can't toggle, so you have to turn it off every single time you change tools.
Where is the icon or what's the hotkey to turn this off? It's also really bothering me.

And for what its worth I'm still holding steady at ~40fps after a couple of hours, but I'm still below 10k pop. Definitely not ideal, but its far away from being unplayable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ihmemies posted:

Which graphical setting affects the shimmering of trees? Trees shimmer like a motherfucker and I don't know how to stop it. There's maybe a 100 settings in the game.
If Dynamic Resolution is enabled, disable it. If that doesn't do anything, change antialiasing to TAA. I don't have any tree shimmering, and LOD isn't a setting I changed yet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

err posted:

how do i avoid the people complaining about high rent?

Oh, when did the landlord thread get reinstated?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Oooof. How good are the odds that this'll be discounted by December?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gadzuko posted:

Play the Simcopter radio files and have good dialog and decent music. The Simville Picayune's #1 choice for city builder ambiance.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Otacon posted:

gonna have to agree they really dropped the ball with this launch even though i see some good bones and ideas in there

though i think people are forgetting this is a teeny tiny studio - maybe they should have done more to temper expectations

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I am sad because I have a bunch of studying to do for grad school and can't play it until Thursday.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Mad Wack posted:

gonna have to agree they really dropped the ball with this launch even though i see some good bones and ideas in there

though i think people are forgetting this is a teeny tiny studio - maybe they should have done more to temper expectations
I can see this going a lot like Cyberpunk 2077. Disastrous launch but given time the situation will substantially improve, especially since CO seems to listen to its audience but just doesn't have the staff to keep up with everything.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Otacon posted:

as someone with a good computer, i've had no issues with anything and have been enjoying it a lot

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Otacon posted:

I really don't feel like a lot of people were around for the OG Cities: Skylines launch based off everything I'm seeing

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Otacon posted:

There are around 90k people in game atm on Steam, they're probably fine.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

err posted:

as someone with a good computer, i've had no issues with anything and have been enjoying it a lot

Please define good computer and 'no issues'. Wondering if I should pull the trigger on this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sashimi posted:

I can see this going a lot like Cyberpunk 2077. Disastrous launch but given time the situation will substantially improve, especially since CO seems to listen to its audience but just doesn't have the staff to keep up with everything.

So a good game at launch (on PC) whose technical issues were over blown by gamers? Why I never...

Not saying this games launch couldn't have been done better (I haven't launched it yet to see how it runs on my machine) but I tend to take peoples performance complaints with a grain of salt because for some people anything sub 60 FPS is a personal insult and for me I am perfectly fine with a game like this running at 30 FPS.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

If Dynamic Resolution is enabled, disable it. If that doesn't do anything, change antialiasing to TAA. I don't have any tree shimmering, and LOD isn't a setting I changed yet.

Apparently having shadows on causes it. There's insane shimmering and flickering in all shadows, especially low residential fences flicker like a rave night's strobo. Disabling shadows removes all flickering... but it makes the game looks like an rear end. Could someone please make a 2D city builder like simcity 4k next, but with a large map. Thanks.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Imagine devoting even a fraction of a second of your day to leave a review on a video game online.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Taking a break from testing as my Bulldozer/AM3+ board has decided it doesnt want to join the chart. Before I move to the Intel side of life, Heres the AMD CPU performance scaling I'm seeing.

Tests with a 3090 at 1080p high settings with depth of field off, motion blur off, volumetrics off, level of detail medium, TAA on. Running the earlier linked 100k benchmark map at night in the rain and day with no weather.

To say this game is nearly strongly GPU limited is an understatement. And yes, I reran the 7800X3D results multiple times. It nearly gets equaled by a Ryzen 1700. Something is definitely wrong there, not feeling great about that purchase at the moment.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Popete posted:

So a good game at launch (on PC) whose technical issues were over blown by gamers? Why I never...

Not saying this games launch couldn't have been done better (I haven't launched it yet to see how it runs on my machine) but I tend to take peoples performance complaints with a grain of salt because for some people anything sub 60 FPS is a personal insult and for me I am perfectly fine with a game like this running at 30 FPS.

I didn't pay them no mind either, but on my 5800X3D with 32GB RAM and an RX 6700 XT, a machine that usually tackles anything I throw at it without audibly spinning up its fans, CS2 ran like rear end, and, with the settings turned down, looked worse than CS1, all while the GPU was screaming for air. The frame rate wildly fluctuated, building a cemetary dropped to 5 fps.

It's pretty bad. Put in a refund request and may consider it again in a year or so.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Huh? It's just a normal clinic, like an urgent care. It doesn't say anything about rehab lol

The “rehabilitation” sense. The description is “helps children recover from injuries”. Like they scrape their knee and are doing walking exercises like army vet amputees I guess.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
For the love of Lowtax, I cannot figure out how to set up cargo terminals properly. The CS 2 versions seem to only have 1 way in and one way out and I can't get it so the trains don't block each other and despawn

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I think this is gonna be another one where it depends on what your definition of "running fine". I can handle getting 25FPS in this sort of game, especially on a 6+ year old card, but it's going to be really disappointing for someone on a current-gen monster to still have to make sacrifices.

They're going to definitely have to dedicate the next few weeks/months to performance improvements, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the review bombs. Try it for yourself, see if you're okay with the performance/graphics and if not, get a refund on Steam.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Popete posted:

Exactly, this isn't a platform for e-sports where fps actually matters. The deal breaker for me would be if the game crashes or stutters a lot, and so far its been very stable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

5800X3D/3080ti, 1440p
Runs a bit like poo poo with default settings. Like 20-30 fps with a completely blank map. The settings change from a page or two ago helped, I can get 60-70 but there's somewhat regular hitches and it makes the fans in my PC go nuts. I can change the resolution to 1080p and get in the 80-90 range but... that sucks. The default AA is atrocious, changing that to TAA is a must.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

So is building a bridge over a seaway just completely impossible? I can’t figure out how to do it without the “Overlapping Items” warning in the middle where the seaway is. The pre-built bridges go over them fine!

Edit: ok I figured it out. You have to start at around 10m elevation, increase to 50m, and build to the center of river. Then lower to 10m and build from center to other shore. Clicking and dragging to build the bridge all at once won’t work.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 24, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man, the night time darkness is so dark. Barely can tell what is anywhere

Connecting pipes is a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I kinda just wanted them to make the building fit together more realistically and they haven't really seemed to attempt to do that